InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies I: How to Train a Taiyoukai ❯ Butterflies ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: See Chapter One.}

Chapter Thirteen: Butterflies

Three months later…

Kagome sat up groggily, unzipping her sleeping bag as quietly as possible. She moved silently, careful not to wake the kit beside her. She quietly gathered her bath things from her bag and headed in the direction of a nearby spring. She stopped to look at her companions. Sango and Kirara were asleep on their pallet; Miroku was asleep against a tree, his staff in his hand. Every now and then it would fall, but Miroku woke enough to catch it every time. Kagome shook her head affectionately and gazed into a nearby tree.

Nothing.

Kagome sighed and headed for the spring. Inuyasha and Kikyou were no where to be found; and not for the first time either. Kagome set her bath stuff, change of clothes, and towel near the edge of the bank on the new spring grass and started to undress. She no longer wore the school uniform. It was replaced by a brown v-neck tank top, matching loose cotton pants, and black combat boots. Kagome giggled in spite of herself as she removed her fingerless gloves, remembering the reason why she was dressed like this.

^^^^^^^

Sesshoumaru changed the dream scene again, this time to his dojo. Kagome groaned.

"You should warn someone before you do that, Seishou-sensei."

Sesshoumaru ignored her, focusing instead on her attire. "Why are you wearing that?"

Kagome looked at herself in one of the dojo mirrors. She was dressed in what she normally wore, her school uniform. It was slightly different now that she was in high school, but it was basically the same green skirt and white shirt.

"What's wrong with what I have on?" she asked, crossing her arms. Sesshoumaru walked to the far end of the dojo, motioning for her to follow. When he reached the far wall, he handed her a katana.

"You mean, other than the fact that it is indecent?" he asked, a small smirk gracing his features. Kagome sighed. It seemed that the dream Sesshoumaru had more of a sense of humor than the real Sesshoumaru. He didn't mind her calling him Seishou and he trained her in many weapons, her magic, and hand-to-hand combat

"To you, it's indecent," Kagome replied. "To me, it's normal."

"Time to get out of the normal."

Kagome looked down to find herself in the exact same kimono Sesshoumaru was wearing, with the armor as well. She struggled under its weight.

"I can't train like this!" she whined. "At least let me pick out what I wear!"

Sesshoumaru thought this over, then nodded once. "You have thirty seconds."

Kagome nodded back and focused. 'Must be comfortable. Something I can move easily in, but not so loose as to make it easier to catch me.' Kagome glimmered a little, then reappeared in a white fitted sleeveless shirt and hot pink loose pants. Sesshoumaru shielded his eyes, wincing.

"What on EARTH is that?" he demanded.

Kagome frowned. "You said change."

"Not that."

Kagome sighed and changed the shirt and pants to black. Then she figured, if she had to change, so did Sesshoumaru. He glimmered, then reappeared in the exact thing she had on, except his was white. He scowled.

"Who said you could change my clothes?"

"Forgive me, Seishou-sensei, but I thought you would be more comfortable in this."

Sesshoumaru stared down at the boots. "What are these?"

"Combat boots. They're used to keep sticks, rocks and other crap from punching through your feet."

"And the clothes?"

"What I have on is a sleeveless shirt" points to her shirt "and loose pants. You're pants are the same, except you have on a tank top." {SF: Think about the wife beaters the guys wear in the summer.} She pointed to his shirt. "It helps to move faster. I thought you'd like it."

"I do."

"Then I'll bring you some."

"Why?"

"I'm your friend, remember? And being your friend, if I have something that I believe you would appreciate, then I give it to you."

Sesshoumaru nodded, then resumed their training. Today's lesson was kendo, and it was harder than Kagome thought. After a few minutes, she called for a time-out and sat down. Sesshoumaru sat down beside her, watching amused as she puffed and panted.

"Tired?"

"Duh."

Sesshoumaru shook his head, thoroughly entertained. Kagome's breathing steadied as she looked at him.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes."

"How are you in my dreams when I'm in my time?"

"I do not know."

Sesshoumaru already knew she was from another time, and that the well was the way through. Sometimes Kagome taught him things about her time, like how to use the microwave and what exactly a shower was. She even taught him how to ride a motorcycle after her cousin taught her. Sesshoumaru was wary at first, then grew to enjoy the strange machine. He vowed that if he lived long enough, he would own one. The only thing that bothered her was how he could appear in her dreams from the other side of the well.

She knew that he was really there, thought how she found out wasn't exactly the best way. After an intense training session while she was home, Kagome woke up and walked downstairs for breakfast. Her mother and grandfather stared at her in shock.

"What?"

Her mother pointed. Kagome looked down and gasped. Her pajamas were shredded, leaving little rags to cover herself with. Kagome blushed and rushed to her room to change. Later that night, she scolded Sesshoumaru for ruining her pajamas.

^^^^^^^

Kagome sighed and lowered herself into the warm water. Since then, she always wore the sleeveless shirts and loose pants Sesshoumaru approved of. She bought many pairs, in greens, browns, dark blues and blacks that easily blended in with the forest around her. The only time she bought another color was when she bought four similar white outfits for Sesshoumaru. She told him in her dream to expect it to be by the well. The next day, she popped out the well and sat down a canvas bag. She went back to her side quickly before Inuyasha caught wind of her. The day after, she didn't find the clothes, but the bag was still by the well. He never thanked her.

Kagome dipped her head below the water's surface, then came back up. 'This is great,' she sighed to

herself. 'I'm by myself and I don't have to watch Kikyou and Inuyasha all day.'

Since the undead miko joined the group, Inuyasha completely ignored Kagome and the others. He stayed by Kikyou's side, never giving the others so much as a glance. Kagome never let it show on the outside, but on the inside she was hurting. That's when her nights with Sesshoumaru became so important. His constant demand for perfection and his common sense training were helping her forget all about her days. So used to the training was she that she soon paid Inuyasha and Kikyou no attention. Whether or not Sesshoumaru knew it; he was slowly helping Kagome fall out of love with Inuyasha.

And whether Kagome knew it or not; Sesshoumaru was falling in love with her.

He never told her, but it showed through how gently he placed her in the right positions for her katas, in the way he patiently waited for her to master what was to him the simplest of spells, and in the brutal way he trained her. Sesshoumaru was merciless in his combat training, knowing that if he was anything but she would never learn and thus would not survive. Kagome learned quickly, much to his approval.

Kagome sighed again, thinking back on last night's dream.

^^^^^^^

"Tonight, we will not practice," Sesshoumaru said as the dreamscape changed. Instead of one of the training grounds, she found herself in a large field. Sesshoumaru sat down crossed-legged and stared at the stars.

Kagome shrugged and sat down beside him. "What are we doing tonight, Seishou-sensei?"

"Nothing."

Kagome sighed and stretched out on the grass. Sesshoumaru looked back at her curiously. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing, like you said."

Sesshoumaru stood up, bringing Kagome with him. He lifted her bangs, exposing the headband. He flicked the dangling diamond playfully.

"So you still wear this?" Sesshoumaru asked.

Kagome nodded. "You said never take it off. So, I don't take it off."

"Do you wear it in your time?"

"Sometimes. The humans in my time haven't a clue what it means. All they know is that its real expensive. They'd try to take my head off if I wore it every day."

"The humans are dangerous in your time."

"I suppose."

Sesshoumaru's arm snaked around her back as he caressed the crescent-shaped sapphire, it glowing under his touch. "And what of Inuyasha? Is he still among the living?"

Kagome slapped his arm playfully. "Stop playing with this thing before you break it. Inuyasha is fine. Happy as a clam to be with his beloved Kikyou."

Sesshoumaru cupped her cheek, tilting her head to look in her eyes. "What is wrong? Do you still love him?"

Kagome considered this, not realizing how intimate their positions were. "Well, there is still a slight ache when I see them together, but its not the full blown agony it once was. Now a days, I'm more concerned about waking up in the morning and finding that Kikyou's pregnant or some other nonsense."

"But that is not what is wrong?"

Kagome sighed. "You know, it's really inconvenient that you know me so well."

"You must keep your allies close."

"Sure, sure and your enemies even closer."

"You are avoiding my question," Sesshoumaru reprimanded, his thumb tracing her jaw.

"It's just that, I look at Kikyou and wonder if I could ever be like her. You know; cold, uncaring, sadistic."

"I do not see you as the sadistic type."

Kagome smiled. "That's comforting, coming from the King of Cold and Sadistic when we're awake."

"But I am not uncaring?"

"No, you're not."

"What makes you think that?"

"Jaken's still breathing."

Sesshoumaru suppressed a small chuckle. "That is a good point."

Kagome sighed and rested her forehead against his chest. "I just don't want to change as much as Kikyou has."

Sesshoumaru gently tugged her chin up, gazing into shining bluish eyes. "You will not change."

Kagome gasped inaudibly as Sesshoumaru lowered his face closer to hers, his lips brushing against hers as he spoke.

"Your training is finished."

Kagome frowned, her whole posture drooping. "Does that mean you won't come to see me anymore?"

Sesshoumaru smiled, pleased that she didn't want him to stop their mind link. "You must train me now. There are many things in you're time that I would like to learn a little more about."

Kagome grinned and hugged him fiercely, startling him. "Of course, Seishou-sensei! Any time!"

Sesshoumaru chuckled as she slackened her grip, sliding down the length of his body back to the ground. Sesshoumaru leaned down and hugged her back tenderly, his lips beside her ear.

"In the morning, I will bring you something."

Kagome nodded, shivering as his breath danced along her neck. Sesshoumaru kissed it lightly, trailing up to her jaw.

"What are you doing?" she asked him as he kissed the headband where her forehead would be.

Sesshoumaru ignored her, placing faint kisses over her closed eyelids. He kissed the corners of her mouth softly, holding her against him to keep her from escaping. Just as he was about to kiss her full on the lips

WHAM!

A tree branch in the waking world fell mere inches from her head. Kagome woke up, irritated beyond measure.

Which might explain her foul mood this morning. {SF: Can you really blame her?}

^^^^^^

Kagome stepped out of the spring and dried herself off. She quickly put on her change of clothes, now dark blue instead of the brown she had on, and walked back to camp. She patted Shippou's head and decided to make breakfast. Kagome reached for her bag, knocking over a strange black stick. She grabbed the stick, inspecting it.

It wasn't a stick.

It was a black sword, still in its sheath, with a note attached to it. Kagome unrolled the tiny scroll and read it.

Kagome,

You have trained well and this is your reward, the katana that was once mine before the Tenseiga.

Sesshoumaru

Kagome unsheathed the sword quickly, admiring the blade in the early morning sunlight. The sword was well taken care of, the edge sharp and the leather on the hilt almost new. Kagome giggled in spite of herself.

Now she wouldn't have to depend on her bow and arrows.

Now she could fight.

So caught was she up in her celebration, she totally forgot about her sleeping companions and breakfast.

Kagome started to dance in a little circle, giggling to herself as she hugged the sword. Her giggling grew louder as she spun faster. Soon she wasn't the only one awake.

"Kagome," Shippou said drearily, rubbing his eyes. He looked up from the sleeping bag, then stared in shock at the center of the camp. Kagome spun around, laughing, as her dark hair whirled around her in a cloud of black, gleaming tresses. In her hands was what appeared to be a sword. Shippou smiled. It'd been so long since he saw Kagome so happy and he didn't want to ruin the mood, even thought he was practically starving. Sango and Miroku woke soon after, staring at Kagome with the same happy fascination that one has when looking upon an angel. They didn't notice Kikyou and Inuyasha enter the camp until it was too late.

"Oi, wench, what are you-" Inuyasha said before staring down the tip of Kagome's sword. She glared at him a moment before blinking out of her stupor.

"Oh, its only you! You scared me!"

Inuyasha scowled. "What do you think you're doing? Where's breakfast and where did you get that sword? Give it to me before you hurt yourself."

"You don't think I can use it, Inuyasha?" Kagome purred, something dangerous glinting in her eye. For the first time since Kikyou joined the group, Inuyasha found his thoughts straying to someone else. 'Wow,' he thought, not taking his eyes off the deadly beauty in front of him. 'Who would have thought nearly having your eye poked out would be so…erotic.' Inuyasha scoffed, forgetting Kikyou for the moment.

"No, I KNOW you can't use it!"

Two flicks of Kagome's wrist, then she sheathed her sword and turned to make breakfast. Inuyasha stared at her back for a moment before he felt the trickle down his cheek. He reached up and rubbed off his own blood.

"Woah," Shippou whispered. Sango and Miroku nodded in agreement. Inuyasha reached inside Kagome's pack and flipped open her compact. On his cheek were two slashes in the shape of a star. {SF: Think of Kenshin.} Inuyasha watched, intrigued, as it healed without a scar. He turned back to Kagome, who was tickling Shippou mercilessly. The sword was tied to her side.

'Well,' he thought as Kikyou stepped to check his face. 'It seems Kagome's a lot more interesting than I thought.'

--------

Sango: Why is this called 'Butterflies'? There isn't a single butterfly in the entire chapter.

SF: I know. Its called 'Butterflies' b/c when I wrote this chapter I was listening to Floetry's version of the song. If you haven't heard it, it's good. Really good. Well anyway, the chorus made me think about how Seishou-sensei feels about Kagome. You know, how he's fallen in love with Kagome but won't tell her.

Here's the chorus:

I just wanna touch you
I just wanna touch and kiss
And I wish that I could be with you tonight
You give me butterflies inside, inside and I

The second verse had a lot to do with it too. Let's see, where is it. Ah, here it is:

All I gotta say is that I must be dreaming, can't be real
You're not here with me, still I can feel you near me
I confess your taste is just so blissful listen
I would give you anything baby, just make my dreams come true
Oh baby you give me butterflies

If you want to hear it, I would advise downloading it from somewhere b/c I can't get it loaded on my computer for some reason. I think my computer has pms or something like that.

Inuyasha: Do you know how much time you've wasted!

SF: Sango asked a question and I answered it, jerk! Mind your business!

Inuyasha: What does that mean?

SF: That means the next time you interrupt me or say something dumb like you just did, I get to strike you down, Thunder Punch and all!

Inuyasha: What's a Thunder Punch?

SF: {::lightening leaking out of her closed fist as she shakes it at Inuyasha::} Would you care to find out?

{Inuyasha shakes his head and walks offstage.} Finally. Maybe I can get some work done.

SF's muse: {::offstage::} SF, I want some milk.

SF: Oh hell. Never a moments peace. The preview is below. I'm coming! {::grumbles offstage about 'bratty lazy muses'::}

Chapter Fourteen: For the Sake of the Call

"Drop your shield, miko," came a smooth, feminine voice from inside the dark funnel. Kagome did so, holding Shippou closer to her. The cyclone dissipated, and in its place stood a female inuyoukai. She bowed low before Kagome, her hands clasped together as if in prayer.

"Are you the lady Kagome?" she asked.

Kagome nodded.

"And is this the young lord Shippou?"

Kagome nodded again. Shippou puffed up a little at being called such an important name, his tail fluffing in the breeze.

The inuyoukai smiled. "Good." She turned away from them, dropping instantly to a fighting stance. "Our lord will be here directly."