InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I know I said that WIHL was next to be updated but it seems that all I can think about is what's going to happen next in Untitled so until this flow of ideas has slowed or stopped completely you probably wont see Chapter five of WIHL.
 
Reviewers: Thank you for all your kind words and constructive criticism, it was greatly appreciated. I hope I have improved and this chapter meets your expectations :)
 
HearMeRoar: I have seen this idea before but I think that I can make it better. I'm sorry if you don't enjoy it but you have to do you. If you stick with this fic great, if not, maybe I'll have better luck with you next time around.
 
Untitled (for now): Chapter Three
 
“Daddy, Daddy, Daddy! You're home!”
 
It was with a bittersweet feeling that Kagome watched her daughter run to Sesshoumaru. On one hand she was happy; relieved even that she knew and accepted so readily without questions that Sesshoumaru was her father but the circumstances in which it came about left much to be desired. It seemed like it was just yesterday that she was giving Hojo back his ring, telling him she couldn't marry him, that she and Sesshoumaru were giving it another try, crying inside at the bewildered and hurt expression on his face.
 
.:FLASHBACK:.
 
“Kagome I don't understand. He hurt you so much, you swore that nothing could ever make you go back to him. What changed?”
 
Kagome couldn't even look him in the face. But this was what Sesshoumaru and to keep her daughter this was what must do. She decided to use the most believable excuse she could think of. To tell Hojo the truth would not do. She finally worked up the courage to look into his eyes; her sad gaze roamed his handsome face. He didn't make her heart race but he did love her. In her own way she too loved him, maybe not as intensely and passionately as she had loved Sesshoumaru but they could have had a happy life together. It was unfortunate that it had to end. Tears of regret stung her eyes but did not fall. Instead they quivered on the edges of her eyes making her lashes wet and the indigo orbs shine luminously.
 
“Hojo,” she began, “I love him. From the moment I met him I loved him, and even though he hurt me badly in the past, I love him still.”
 
Her tears fell in earnest now as she realized what she was saying was indeed the truth. She did still love Sesshoumaru, even after everything she still loved him. Hojo sighed in defeat as he watched the only woman he'd ever loved cry silently before him. Even in her misery she was beautiful. He came to her then and held her in his arms. Stroking her hair, murmuring nonsensical words meant to soothe and comfort as she cried into his shoulder. It was a few moments before her sobs started to fade and still held her close as he began to speak.
 
“I always imagined that this day would come. I never told you this Kagome but, I have loved you forever. Since the day we met in preschool I knew that you were the one for me but you always saw me as just a friend. I didn't mind though, I thought I had time to make you see that we could be more but then Sesshoumaru came. He swept into town like a great whirlwind, no, greater, a hurricane and took one look at you and decided that he wanted you. I was angry that you fell for him so quickly when after eighteen years you never saw me as anything more than steady, dependable Hojo but within two weeks of meeting him you were already dating; it was all over school. All the girls were jealous when he came to pick you up in his limo or that sleek German car he used to drive, a McClaren I think it was. No one though, was more jealous than me. I must confess at one low point I wished with everything in me that he would break your heart so I could step in and you would realize that I was the better choice and that the words steady and dependable wouldn't be a detriment but and asset and that you would finally be mine.
 
It didn't work out that way though did it? He didn't use you and leave you like I expected. He wanted more and he got it. Two weeks later on graduation day you were proposed to and four days later you married him. Eighteen years I wanted you and in one month he took you away from me. I didn't see you again until you left him three months later. When you showed up on my doorstep I was never so happy until you started to cry and I felt so guilty. Guilty that I had wished this unhappiness on the person I loved most in the world and it happened.”
 
At this Kagome started. “Hojo no! You can't think that you are to blame for anything that happened between me and Sesshoumaru. When I married him it was a mistake!” Belatedly she realized that she was trying to make it seem like she was still in love with Sesshoumaru as she saw Hojo's face light up.
 
“If it was a mistake then why are you going back t him Kagome? Stay with me, you may still love him but that doesn't mean he won't hurt you again.”
 
“You're right Hojo; he probably will hurt me sometimes. We haven't seen each other in years. Some of the old pain is still there and anger as well but I believe, we both believe that we can work it out. We threw in the towel too soon on our marriage last time, never really gave things a chance but that's over now. We're going to do it right this time around.”
 
Hojo looked at the woman he had loved for so long, saw her firm resolve and knew that he couldn't win, not then and not now. He couldn't let her go without one more thing.
 
“Kagome,” he said quietly and took her hands in his, “Can you do one thing for me before you go?”
 
“Of course Hojo; I'll do anything.”
 
 
“Tell me you love me. I don't care if you don't just pretend. I just want to hear you say it, just this once.”
 
“Oh Hojo,” Kagome cried as she looked at the man who had always been there for her every time she needed him. `Why couldn't I have fallen in love with him instead of Sesshoumaru?' she thought, not for the first time.
 
“I don't have to pretend, I do love you. I always have and I always will.” She kissed him with everything she had in her, and he reciprocated, their tears wet on each others faces, both never realizing that they had an audience who had heard every word.
 
.:END FLASHBACK:.
 
She was brought back to the present with a jolt by Sesshoumaru's voice addressed towards her. She shook her head to clear the memories. “I'm sorry, I didn't hear you; I was daydreaming.”
 
“I said, aren't you going to give your husband a kiss?”
 
She smiled at him, “But of course.”
 
 
`Daydreaming indeed,' he thought to himself. He knew what she was dreaming about or rather who. It was him, the weakling who deigned to think that he could take this Sesshoumaru's wife without consequence. He knew the whelp had been in love with Kagome since the moment he had seen them together for the first time. How Kagome had not been aware of the boy's affections he did not know but he had taken great pleasure in watching his face fall whenever he had come to take Kagome out and his eyes flare with jealousy as Kagome fell deeper and deeper in love with him. To think that he had almost gotten her in the end was too much to bear.
 
He had heard their final conversion, heard Hojo beg for her to tell him she loved him. He heard her reply as well. He wondered if she loved him still. Did she think about him at night even while lying in his arms limp and pliable after their love making. Did she think about him while they made love? No, it wasn't possible. He made sure the only thing she saw was him, the only thing she felt was him and if he had his way it would always be like that. He knew she still harbored some resentment, even hatred, towards him for trapping her against her will. What she didn't know was that he would have never sued for full custody. He might be cold at times and ruthless but he was fair. He knew she was a good mother, the nurturing air about her was one of the things that attracted him to her in the first place. Having grown up in a broken home, he swore he would never put his children through what he had gone through. `The opposite of love isn't hate,' he thought. `It's indifference.' As long as she could generate enough energy to hate him, she could generate enough energy to love him. It was just a matter of time before she fell for him again. He had allowed her to slip through his fingers before and almost lost her as well as his daughter forever but never again. He wouldn't be so foolish this time around. He'd make it so that she'd never want to leave.
 
 
A/N: Read and Review; NO FLAMES!
 
McLaren: A very expensive German car. Made by Mercedes, the base price is $452,750 U.S. dollars. That's 54,142,746.02 ¥. Here's a link to a picture of it…http://web.bentley.edu/students/t/tariq_zoha/13894.jpe< /font>. For more info go to … http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/m_slrmclaren.asp