InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Village of demons ❯ Chapter Two: Deeper Troubles ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha story does not belong to me but to Rumiko Takahashi and I thank her for bringing it to us.

Chapter Two: Deeper troubles

It was a relatively warm day, unusual for late November, but enjoyed none the less. The group was headed back to the village to give Kaede the good news about Naraku’s defeat. Not having to worry about his trickery made the trip much more enjoyable. They could afford to slow down a little and enjoy the weather. Shippou was chasing after a small butterfly while the rest of them watched amused at his antics. Even Inuyasha, with his usual foul moods and temper, seemed to be calm today. He had been thinking a lot lately and had realized many things. The one that most pleased him was that he was finally able to admit to himself that he loved Kagome. Whenever they were apart he felt alone and miserable, and he believes that she returns his feelings. Another thing he had come to realize, with the help of Kagome, was that he wasn’t as alone and despised as he had once thought. These people that had been with him for so long now, Miroku, Sango, Shippou, and even Kaede. They all are like his family…they are his family.

He had it all planed out, he was going to get Kagome, settle down in the village and protect his home and family until the end of his days… perfect. Nothing would go wrong. He would make sure of it, or at least so he thought…

“Inuyasha you look like your thinking of something nice, care to share?” Miroku asked, bringing Inuyasha out of his own little world with a start.

“Its none of your business monk! He snapped at Miroku for bringing him back to reality. He had been thinking of Kagome again, thinking of sharing a life with her. He hated being interrupted when thinking about her.

hmm, Inuyasha may have changed a great deal since I first met him but he is still as rude and ill tempered as ever.

“Really Inuyasha, no need to be testy I just wanted to suggest stopping here for the night. I know this area and there are two wonderful hot springs nearby. One for us, and one for the girls.” Miroku hoped to sound neutral as he thought about his Sango bathing. The very idea making his once cursed hand twitch with delight. Inuyasha preferred not to stop until it was absolutely necessary, but one hopeful look from Kagome and he gave in.

“All right, we’re not really in a big hurry. I suppose it will be ok, this time.” He looked over and saw Kagome’s smile and was glad he had decided to say yes.

After camp was made and everyone had eaten Kagome and Sango decided it was time to visit the hot spring.

“Come on Sango lets go!” Kagome chirped happily, “Shippou will you stay and watch the boys for us to make sure they don’t peek?”

“Sure Kagome, I’ll watched them like a hawk,” he said puffing out his chest trying to look tough.

“Hey what do you mean ‘the boys’? I’m not a letch like the stupid monk!” Inuyasha said, not liking being put in the same category as the perverted priest. Meanwhile the monk in question protested innocence.

“Inuyasha I am a man of the cloth, I would never behave in such a way. Do you not know it was my curse that made my hand wander?” Miroku said, trying to look innocent and failing.

“Yeah I believe that,” Inuyasha snorted.

He had been so busy listening to the monk’s ramblings that he didn’t notice that the girls were leaving until Kagome yelled, “See you later, remember no peeking!”

Inuyasha yelling, “I’m not a pervert,” was the last thing she heard as they walked through the forest.

Inuyasha sighed as he slowly lowered himself into the hot spring along with Shippou, and Miroku. He could feel the warm water relaxing his ever tense muscles. The spring felt great, better then it ever has. Ever since they destroyed Naraku everything seemed to be better. They never really understood until after it was all over, how much of an affect his presence had on their daily lives.

It was pretty peaceful in the hot spring. Shippou‘s splashing around in the water was the only disturbance. Inuyasha and Miroku were both thinking about the girls bathing, somewhere nearby. They both bathed in silence until Miroku decided to ask a question that has been bothering him for quite some time.

“Inuyasha what do you plan on doing with the jewel after it is completed?”

Inuyasha hadn’t really thought about it and decided to go with an honest answer.

“ I don’t know. You have any ideas?”

“I’m not sure but I think you should talk to Kagome about it. She has carried the burden of the jewel all this time and I think she deserves to take part in deciding on what to do with it.”

“Yeah your probably right. At least we have a while to think about it, with some jewel shards left to find…”

***************************************************** ************

“So Kagome… how are you and Inuyasha getting along?” Sango asked curiously.

It sounded like a general question but Kagome knew what she was getting at. She wanted to know about the status of the relationship between herself and Inuyasha.

Well if she wants answers she is going to have to work for them.

“ I don’t know, I think things are going pretty well. He was nice enough to let me go home for a little while without much trouble.”

“Oh Kagome you know that’s not what I’m talking about. I want to know has he finally admitted his feelings for you?” Kagome had to think for a minute on how to answer her question.

On the one hand he has shown some feelings for me in his actions lately. He has been really nice to me and twice as mean to anyone that displeased me. He has also gotten into the habit of waiting until everyone is asleep before jumping down from whatever tree he had been in scooping me up and taking me back up in the tree to hold me until I fall asleep in his arms, but he has never said anything to me.

Often no words are spoken in the time spent at night in the tree with him. Not that she didn’t wish that there would be. She defiantly wanted to say to anyone that asked that she and Inuyasha were together.

“ He hasn’t said anything,” Kagome said as neutraly as possible.

“Well maybe he is waiting until he can get you alone in your time. You know he is very bad about being emotional in front of an audience,” Sango stated.

“Yeah your right about that, he acts so different around other people, but you have to remember we are the first people that he has trusted besides his mother,” Kagome said sadly.

I’ll show him that its ok to trust.

“ So Sango are you still glad you accepted Miroku’s proposal?” Kagome asked, trying to take the conversation in another direction.

“ I am very glad, but I’m also so nervous. Is that normal?” Sango asked hoping that Kagome would be able to answer. She had always been more knowledgeable when it came to stuff like that.

“ Oh yes Sango, its very natural. Its just some pre-wedding jitters,” Kagome assured her with a smile.

“ Jitters?” Sango asked looking confused.

“ Uh…never mind, just trust me its normal. So where are you guys going to live after the wedding?”

“ Well I think we’re going to settle on the edge of Kaede’s village. Neither one of us have anywhere else to go and we can stay close to you and the others.”

“ That’s great Sango, I was hoping you would say that. You should build a house right on the…..”

Sango had been listening intently and was now very confused at Kagome’s sudden silence.

“ Kagome what’s wrong, are you ok?” Sango asked looking up to see Kagome with a nervous look on her face.

“ Sango we company coming, fast,” Kagome said looking off into the forest. Sango had a pretty good idea of who it was and if she was right then this wasn’t going to be pretty. Before either girl saw what was happening Kagome was out of the water standing on the shore with both hands cupped in the hands of the wolf demon prince Kouga.

“ EEEK!!! Kouga let me go, I don’t have any clothes on!” Kagome said, struggling to get out of his grasp and failing.

“ Leave them they smell like stinking dog-boy, and you cant be smelling like that if your coming with me to be my woman.”

Kagome realized what he had said and froze. He was coming to get her now that Naraku was gone. Now that she realized what his intentions were she went from just freaked out to freaked out and angry.

“ I’m sorry Kouga but I’m not going with you and I’m not your women! So you can just give us the jewel shards, turn around and leave!” She said angrily.

“ Humph, stupid dog has brainwashed you. You’re my woman and your coming with me back to the Northern caves!” Somewhere in all the commotion Sango had managed to slip out of the water and get her clothes back on. Now that she heard Kouga say that he was planning on taking Kagome away it was time to take action. She was glad she had brought her slayer weapons with her just in case something had come after Kagome for the nearly complete jewel.

“ Let her go and leave Kouga!” Sango yelled brandishing hiraikotsu towards him. He didn’t seem to threatened by the large weapon.

“ You cant hit me with that thing its to slow, and I know you wouldn’t endanger Kagome like that. Now return to your little group and let me have what I came for. I don’t want to fight you for her but I will.”

Sango pulled hiraikotsu in front of her getting ready to fight him if she needed to but it wasn’t necessary as right as he looked ready to attack her a flash of red and silver flew from the forest and pinned Kouga to a tree by his throat.

Inuyasha was seething, his eyes flashing between red and white, a vicious snarl on his face.

“ What do you think your doing you stupid wolf! I should kill you here and now for even looking at Kagome!” Inuyasha yelled.

Kouga was shocked that he hadn’t seen him coming but more shocked at Inuyasha’s strength at the moment. No matter how hard he tried he couldn’t get out of the half demons grasp. The iron grip around his neck was near suffocating. He was actually surprised to still be alive. With Kouga’s hold on her gone Kagome quickly went and pulled her clothes on before looking over at the two demons again.

She watched in horror as, even with the tetsusaiga, Inuyasha fought for control of his demon blood.

He’s going to kill Kouga I just know it, but then what? He doesn’t know who he is. He might attack one of us as well.

Miroku must have been thinking the same thing because he moved over in front of Kagome.

“ Sango we must protect Kagome. If Inuyasha looses control he wont be able to tell friend from enemy.” Sango nodded and moved beside Miroku. Shippou then arrived with Kirara.

“ Kagome are you all right!?” Shippou yelled jumping into her arms as Kirara moved to defend them with Miroku and Sango. Inuyasha was still fighting his demon urges. His hold on Kouga’s neck getting tighter and tighter. It looked like he was trying to say something.

“ ….Kagome, ahh!, Kagome get the jewel shards…. I cant touch them or my demon side will take over!” Inuyasha yelled through ragged breaths. Kagome started towards them to do as she was told when Miroku’s hand on her shoulder stopped her.

“ Kagome its very dangerous, are you sure?” She looked at him with a serious expression. “ I know Miroku, but I have to. I’m the only one that can see them and Inuyasha needs me.” Miroku lifted his hand and Kagome ran forward.

She reached around a still struggling Inuyasha to grab the two shards in Kouga’s legs. As soon as the shards were gone and Kagome was out of the way Inuyasha flung Kouga into a near by tree sending both Kouga and the tree smashing to the ground. Inuyasha was almost completely under the control of his demon at this point and he jumped on top of Kouga snarling.

“ YOU THREATEN MATE! MUST PROTECT MATE!” Inuyasha raised his claws to finish Kouga off when he suddenly stopped. His eyes flashed momentarily back to white as he turned and looked at Kagome.

“ Kagome subdue me please! I cant hold it back anymore!” Right as he said it the demon in him won and his eyes turned completely red, his claws and fangs grew longer and the red strips appeared on his cheeks. In the brief moment before Inuyasha changed Kouga had managed to kick him off and jump out of his grasp, but unfortunately not out of his reach. Without the jewel shards he wasn’t fast enough to get away. Inuyasha shot forward as Kagome screamed, “ SIIIT!!!”

The rosary pulled at him but not before his claws went through Kouga’s chest. The subduing spell had managed to move the attack off target and luckily it missed his heart. Kouga fell to his knees as Inuyasha pulled out his claws to get ready for the next attack. “SIT!SIT!SIT!SIT!SIIIIT!” Kagome screamed again as she saw what he was about to do. The beads pulsed again as they dragged the demon to the ground. With one last large pull the beads slammed him into the ground creating a very large crater and sending the now unconscious Kouga flying back.

When the dust settled, they could see Inuyasha lying in the crater unconscious and back to his regular self. Everyone ran over to him. Kagome reached him first and leaned down to check for a pulse. When Kagome said that he was still alive they all let out a breath of relief. She looked over at Kouga then turned to Miroku.

“ Miroku, go take Kouga away from here and treat his wounds after your sure he will be ok. I think it would be a good idea to wash before you come back to keep from bringing the scent of his blood back around Inuyasha. I’m going to use Kirara to move him away from where they were fighting. Sango, you and Shippou go with him and take my first aid kit. I don’t think Inuyasha needs it.”

They all nodded and went over to examine Kouga. After a few moments Miroku stood and went over to Kagome.

“ There are two caves near here, they both have a river besides them and they are far enough apart to fit our needs. Head north and you will find it, we will go south. Kouga’s wounds are bad. I’m sure he will live, but we will have to remain with him through the night I’m afraid. Will you be alright Kagome?”

“ Yes I’ll be fine. Kirara will keep me safe until Inuyasha is better.”

By the time Miroku had made his way back to Kouga he had already been put on the back of Shippou transformed into a large bird. Kagome watched them fly over the trees before she turned back to Inuyasha. He appeared to be uninjured, just in a deep sleep.

Fighting his inner demon must take a lot out of him, she thought.

Kagome nodded towards Kirara and the fire cat stepped forward and lowered herself to the ground to make it easier for Kagome to lift Inuyasha onto her back. It took a bit of effort but Kagome managed to get him onto Kirara’s back without disturbing him. Once she heard him mumble her name in his sleep as Kirara lifted off the ground.

After about twenty minutes of searching they found the river and the cave near to it. It had a small opening about five feet tall and six feet wide. It gradually got bigger as it went back, with the back of the cave being about fifteen feet from the entrance and a circular cavern at the back like a small room. The room like space was large enough to hold several people comfortably.

After Kagome had gotten Inuyasha into her sleeping bag in the back of the cave she reached into her bag, and pulled out some matches to start a fire. After the fire was going strong Kirara left the cave. Kagome wondered where she was going but didn’t worry about it because she knew Kirara would stay close enough to keep them safe.

Inuyasha was moving around in the sleeping bag as if he was having a bad dream. Kagome had a small cloth and started washing the sweat off his brow. When Kagome finished with the cloth she sat back to wait for him to wake up. He was still moving uncomfortably until she reached out to move some hair out of his face. He stopped moving when she touched him and soon opened his eyes and slowly looked up at her.

“…Kagome, what happened? Everything is a blur.” Inuyasha said weakly.

“ Shh, don’t worry about it right now. Everything’s ok, everyone is fine. Just lay back down and get some rest.”

Inuyasha did as he was told because he really did feel like he needed rest.

“ I transformed didn’t I?” He asked looking ashamed, and worried.

“ Yes you did, when Kouga came to try and take me away with him.” At hearing Kouga’s name Inuyasha sat up suddenly.

“ Where is he? I’ll kill him!” Kagome put her hand on his chest and pushed him until he was laying down again. The fact that she could push him at all was proof enough of how tired he was.

“ Inuyasha calm down, Kouga is very far away and cant hurt anyone right now.”

Kagome blushed lightly as she realized she still had her hands on his muscular chest and quickly pulled them away.

“ What do you mean cant hurt anyone right now? Did I do something to him while I was transformed?”

Kagome took in a deep breath before she told him all that happened. In the end it frightened him greatly that he had completely transformed even with tetsusaiga, but he was glad he hadn’t hurt any of his friends, or Kagome.

They sat in silence for a few minutes while Inuyasha thought about what she had just told him. He was brought out of his thoughts when she asked him a question.

“ Inuyasha, when you first attacked Kouga and pinned him to the tree you said he threatened your mate and that you had to protect your mate. What did that mean?” Inuyasha looked shocked for a second and then really embarrassed.

“ Oh yeah that, I don’t know probably just some demon babblings,” he lied. She didn’t really believe him but nodded anyway. She knew he didn’t want to talk about it.

Just then Kirara walked back into the cave and dropped three fish onto the cave floor.

So that’s where she went. Kagome thought with a smile and petted Kirara as thanks for the food. After the fish had been cooked and eaten Inuyasha watched Kagome lean against the wall like she was planning on sleeping there. That’s when he realized he was in her sleeping bag. He couldn’t let Kagome sleep like that He would feel horrible, but he could barely move. When an the solution came to him he had trouble hiding his grin.

“ Uh, Kagome.”

She looked up at him and smiled.

“ Yes Inuyasha?”

“ Will you lay down with me for a little while? I think it would help me sleep.”

Even if she had wanted to she couldn’t have refused his hopeful gaze.

“ Sure, but how will that help you sleep?” Inuyasha blushed and looked away.

“ Your scent, it calms me. It makes me able to have a truly peaceful sleep.”

You idiot you told her way to much, she’s going to think your just sniffing around her like a dog. Now she defiantly wont lay down with me.

His thoughts were stopped abruptly as Kagome positioned herself beside him. He was relieved she had not wanted to make a big deal out of it. With a content sigh he put his arm around her protectively and pulled her close before whispering, “ Thank you, good night Kagome,” as he fell into a quiet sleep.

With both Kagome and Inuyasha sound asleep Kirara moved up to the mouth of the cave and laid down at the entrance to wait for the rest of the group.

A/N: Thank goodness… I’m finnaly done with this revised second chapter. As I go over more and more of this story I realized how many mistakes I made. When I edited my story on paper the pages bled. I’m so sorry to anyone who had to read the older version of my story with all the mistakes. It also makes me feel good about my writing when I know that so many people really enjoyed my story even with all the grammar problems. Anyway, thanks for reading I hoped you enjoyed it. Please leave me a comment to help me improve my writing and the story. As always, if you have an idea that you think would add a nice flare to this story please let me know. I have a main idea for the story but there is a lot of room for change based on what the readers want.