InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Voices ❯ Crimson Moon ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Voices
By: Silver Standard Society
 
A/N: Hello! Welcome to Voices! It's been two years since Haunted, so excuse me if I am a little rusty. But let's get to it. I've had this idea in my head for a while and I figured why not put it out there and see what happens `.Although I've long given up on the show, I still like writing with the Inuyasha characters. A few announcements about this new story:
 
I do not own Inuyasha, Soul Eater, or any other characters I use.
 
[I forgot the name of Kagome's friends so I used the names from Soul Eater.]
 
I did NOT heavily research the medical conditions I will use in this story. I just touched the surface and went from there. Please do not hold me liable for things I got wrong (though feel free to correct me) nor take anything I write here as any form of medical advice.
 
I am a Sess/Kag fan but this story will be Inu/Kag simply because Inuyasha plays the part better in this fic. All my other themes are the same... So be warned that this is alternative universe, with maybe even some original characters. I'm planning anywhere between eight and twelve chapters.
 
Thank you everyone who kept reviewing over the years, it's what pushed me over the edge to write another story. Please continue, as any kind of creative criticism is completely appreciated. Though I haven't planned out the end of the story, I know you all will help me get there.
 
***
Crimson Moon
***
 
He hadn't spoken for a thousand years. It felt as if his throat had dried up and turned into dust, immovable at the back of his mouth. He moved sometimes, just slightly, causing the cobwebs that had been gently spun around him to break and fall. But soon, even that came to an end. The dust gathered on him, layer after layer, year after year, hardening to grit and stone. The darkness surrounded him, it's presence keeping his mind to a state of dead calm as he slept. Eyes closed, face frozen…
 
He waited.
 
***
 
Kagome fixed the straps of her backpack and swung the hefty bag onto her shoulders. “Souta! I'm leaving with or without you!” she called up the stairs. The fat cat Buyo, mewed and rubbed up against her leg and she bent down to scratch him under his chin.
 
Upstairs, frantic footsteps ran through the hall. Souta ran across the top of the stairs, his toothbrush in his mouth, a comb stuck in his hair, his arm through one sleeve of his shirt, while his other hand tried to button and zipper his pants. “Coming!” he called. Although with the toothbrush in his mouth it sounded more like “Cuhugh!”
 
He'd woken up late again….
 
“Mom! I'm leaving without him!” Kagome stormed into the kitchen. “Souta's going to make me late.”
 
“Kagome, please just walk your brother to school,” her mother said, rising out a freshly used coffee mug. “I can't drop him today, my flight leaves in an hour, and you know how I worry.”
 
“His school is six blocks away, what could possibly happen?” Kagome asked, frustrated.
 
Her mother gave her a Look. “Anything.” She said simply. There were two suitcases by the back door. “Please don't let me walk out of here thinking your not going to follow the rules.”
 
“Fine,” she snapped. Kagome sighed and sat down, dumping her bag on the kitchen table. “But it's not fair. I can't even go to the festival today.”
 
“Kagome, you have responsibilities.” Her mother replied. “Souta needs you. It's just some silly fair, you'll catch it next time. Remember what you get out of this? Remember the car?”
 
How could she forget? It was cherry red and cute. A tiny feminine metal box that screamed independence! Kagome could almost feel her hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. She could almost hear the leather seats groan with pleasure as she sat on them. She huffed. “If he makes me late I get to ground him.”
 
Her mother smiled, relieved. “That's perfectly fine,” she said and kissed her daughter's forehead. “Now all the numbers you need are on the fridge, I put money for food in your bank account, and there are some pre-cooked meals in the freezer when you get tired of ordering junk.”
 
“- I'm coming, I'M COMING!-” came a frantic cry from upstairs.
 
“Please remind Souta to bathe every night, you know how much of a scatter-brain he can be,” said her mother fondly. “And make sure he wears his wool hat, its cold outside.” She dug in her purse and produced a bottle full of pills. “And make sure he takes these twice daily. We don't want another trip to the hospital while I'm away.” She put the bottle on the table.
 
Kagome nodded, still a little miffed about the festival.
 
“I'll miss you,” her mother coaxed sweetly.
 
“Yeah,” Kagome said, half peeved, half sullen. “You too.”
 
“That's my girl.” Her mother walked to the foot of the stairs. “Souta honey, mommy is leaving now!”
 
The panicked footsteps rushed to the stairs, thudding down each one. Souta threw his arms around his mother. “Have a good trip.” He said and kissed her cheek. Then he rushed off to the end of the hall to put on his shoes. “Don't forget to bring me back something!” he called behind him.
 
***
 
“Now if I'm not here by four, feel free to walk yourself home,” Kagome said to her brother, outside his school gates. “Just don't talk to strangers or anything like that.” She popped two pills in his hands and watched put them in his mouth.
 
He swallowed hard. “But mom said-”
 
“I know what mom said. But I think your old enough to walk six blocks all by yourself, don't you?” She placed the pill bottle in her book bag, “I'm holding these so you don't forget them at school.”
 
Souta hesitated. “…I guess,” he finally conceded. “But I don't have my own key-”
 
“Use the key under the gnome in the well house,” said Kagome dismissively. “Look I'll see you at home okay? I've got to go.” She patted his head and began walking.
 
“Okay…but Kagome what if-”
 
“You'll be fine.”
 
“Maybe, but if I-“
 
“Goodbye, Souta.”
 
“But Kagome-”
 
Geez, you're such a baby.” said Kagome, spinning around. “It's six blocks, what could go wrong?” Souta visibly cringed. “What could you possibly do that could mess up something as simple as that?” she said. “I'm late Souta, if you need something just figure it out okay?”
 
And with that, she broke into a run, picking up speed in the middle of the block, and turning the corner swiftly.
 
“Okay…”
***
 
Kagome was not looking forward to the next five days. Her friends could tell. During the lunch period they all gathered around her desk and watched as she snapped her pencil for the third time and began to sharpen it again like a mad woman, little pencil peelings piling on her desk. Maka put a hand on her shoulder. “Everything okay?” she asked.
 
“I can't go to the crimson festival tonight,” Kagome said, slamming her newly sharpened stub on her desk. “I'm on babysitting duty for the next few days.”
 
“So bring Souta along,” Tsubaki suggested. “It's a fair, they'll have games and junk food, he'll have plenty to do to keep himself busy.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I can't.” she said. “It's one of the terms I set with my mom, Souta can't be out later than five, because of his condition. And the festival starts at six. She'll call every night after seven to make sure we're okay. If no one picks up, she'll go nuts.” She drummed her fingers down on the wood. “I hate this,” she mumbled.
 
Suddenly she brightened. “But if he's there and picks up and covers for me, I'll be home free right?”
 
Tsubaki frowned. “I don't know. Leaving Souta home alone by himself?”
 
“He'll be fine,” Kagome reassured. “What could happen?”
 
“Anything, Kagome,” Maka said. “He's ten.”
 
“You sound like my mother,” Kagome snapped. “It's exactly your point! He's ten. It's not like he doesn't know that he's not allowed to touch the stove, or to microwave a meal if he gets hungry.”
 
“Yeah but this is crimson night. The moon turns red, the days is short. That's scary for a kid.” Tsubaki argued. “My sister is twelve and she'd burst into tears if I ever left her alone like that.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “Souta loves scary movies, so a little red moon in the sky won't frighten him.” She said. “I'll phone ahead and leave a message for him on the machine. If I bring him back something, he'll get over it.”
 
“Even so…”Maka said.
 
“Geez, what's the big deal?” Kagome cried. “Everyone acts like he'll die or something. He's always my responsibility it's always `Kagome don't go see that movie, Souta is too young,' or `Kagome don't stay out past five, Souta needs you at home.'. I want a life! I want to be a teenager and not have to worry about some twerp scabbing his knee.” She slammed her hands on the desk. “Sometimes I feel life would be better if I never even had a brother!”
 
“Kagome!” Tsubaki said. “Don't talk like that! You know what they say about desires under a crimson moon. They always come true.”
 
“That's just a myth,” Maka said dismissively.
 
“Even so,” replied Tsubaki, the ever superstitious one. “What if it wasn't? Think of what would happen if you actually didn't have Souta. You'd regret that.”
 
“No,” said Kagome. “I wouldn't. I mean it. I never even wanted a brother.” she said. “I wish he'd just go away.
 
***
The thing about crimson week was that the moon was so red it could be seen anytime in the sky for seven days. Every year a festival was held under it and it's “mystic” powers on the first night of its appearance, when it was at its darkest bloodiest red. Some people believed that it stole energy from the sun and used its lunar powers to open portals into other worlds. Other believed that it was a signal that the gods were listening, ready to grant wishes and desires.
 
Mostly, people referred to it as mischief week. People threw parties after the festival and got drunk and into all sorts of trouble and situations. The police holding cells were always full, keeping the officers in bad tempers.
 
But strange things happened during crimson week. The superstitious, like Tsubaki, were extra careful, carrying around lucky trinkets and staying away from ladders. She had heard stories of people seeing the ghosts of their loved ones, or vampires and changelings revealing themselves to vulnerable humans. To her, the crimson moon was like the heart of some unseen force. It had a pulse, a beat that ran through the town and stirred up things and caused things to happen.
 
Tsubaki believed in all of it. To her the festival was more than just a celebration, it was worship. Kagome was angry and frustrated, and didn't know what kind of powers words could have, especially at a time like this. But Tsubaki was aware. Tsubaki knew. She believed.
 
Anything could happen.
 
***
 
Ten O'clock and the festival had finally come to an end. Kagome for one was happy it was a Friday night; she didn't think she could sit through school tomorrow. Against Tsubaki's and Maka's protest, she had walked home alone and had reached the house perfectly fine. What was the big deal? It wasn't as if anything bad would ever happen to her or anyone she knew. Everything bad happened to other people.
 
She slid her key into the lock, opened the door, and shut it and locked it behind her. She flicked on the hallway light and kicked off her shoes. Souta should have put himself to bed at least two hours ago, so she walked into the kitchen and put down her bag of festival goodies and put a kettle of water to boil.
 
The festival had been amazing! There were so many pretty lights and fireworks, so many different stalls and ceremonies, everything was great. She stuffed herself with junk food and crimson cider and had a good time with all of her friends. She pulled out one of the goodies for Souta, a caramel apple on a stick, and popped it in the fridge.
 
Her tempers had cooled. Maybe she would ask her mom if she could extend curfew this weekend so she could take Souta to the movies or something. All Kagome had wanted is some time to herself. Now that she was satisfied, she would be willing to follow the babysitting terms for another few days.
 
The kettle began to whistle and Kagome turned off the stove and made herself a hot cup of tea. When she was done, she rinsed out her mug and went upstairs to shower and get ready for bed. Ever unaware that something had happened.
 
***
 
“Sorry I didn't call last night.” Her mother said through the receiver of the phone. My flight was just miserable with layovers.”
 
“It's okay,” Kagome yawned. “We knew not even a plane crash on a deserted island would keep you from getting a hold of us.”
 
Her mother chuckled. “You know me so well.”
 
“How are you?”
 
Her mother chatted idly about the nice hotel she was staying in and how she'd bring home those mini soaps she knew Kagome liked”. She asked “Where's Souta?”
 
“Still asleep. It's ten and I haven't heard a peep from him all morning.”
 
“On a Saturday?” her mother questioned. “Normally he's up by six just to catch his cartoons. Is he sick?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “He's not a baby, mom. Maybe he just wants to sleep in.”
 
“Can I speak to him, please?” she said, sounding worried. “Did you give him his pills?”
 
Kagome's eyes widened with remembrance. She forgot to give him his nightly dose. She had a brief image of her car driving away without her in it. She panicked. “I gave it to him,” Kagome said, settling for a half-truth. She got up from the kitchen chair and headed to the stairs. She climbed, hoping that Souta would cover for her if she bribed him by signaling she'd give him money. Kagome knocked on Souta's door.
 
“Mom on the phone,” she called.
 
There was no answer.
 
She knocked harder, knowing how Souta could sleep like a corpse. “I said-”
 
“Kagome?” her mother called.
 
“Yea?”
 
“I have to go. Have Souta call me back later, okay?”
 
“Okay mom, good luck in the meeting.”
 
They hung up. Kagome knocked again. “Souta!” she called. She opened the door and peered inside his messy room. His bed was just the bare mattress, the sheets and covers on the floor. “Souta?”
 
Kagome knew that her brother often got tangled in the sheets at night and ended up in a knotted ball on the floor. She didn't know if that meant he had slept in his bed last night or had simply failed to tidy his room. She left and checked the bathroom, her mother's room, and the guest room. They were all empty.
 
Phone in hand already, Kagome dialed the number of Souta's best friend.
 
Not there.
 
She called another friend.
 
Not there.
 
The panic created itself in the very bottom of Kagome's stomach. Holding it down, she quickly walked to her room and looked through her desk until she found her old address book. Baby sitting over the years had allowed Kagome to collect phone numbers from all of Souta's friends and classmates. She called four more houses and got the same result.
 
None of them had seen Souta since yesterday after school.
 
Running down the steps, Kagome raced through the kitchen and out the back door. The gnome in the well house had a spare key under it. She threw open the doors and spotted it in the corner. Kagome lifted it up and checked.
 
The key was still there.
 
“Shit,” Kagome breathed. “Oh shit, oh shit. Souta!” she cried frantically. She looked around spotted something red. She reached over and pulled it to her. The wooly hat…
 
She clutched it tightly and looked around for another clue. Finally her eyes pulled her to the lip of the well. “No…” she breathed. She ran over and peered down into the seemingly unending darkness. “Souta?” she called down. Her voice echoed back to her once, twice, three times. No other voice answered. “Souta if you can hear me I'm coming!” she cried. She ran out and into the main house and picked up the kitchen phone, frantically dialing a number.
 
“911 Emergency?”
 
“Hello my name is Kagome Higurashi, I live on 43-62 Lake Drive Road, at the Higurashi Shrine. My little brother has fallen down our old well, please send someone right away!” she yelled in one hurried breath.
 
“Miss, help is on the way. Can you hear-”
 
Frantic, Kagome hung up the phone. She rummaged through the kitchen, getting the flashlight, a bottle of water, and a blanket from the pantry. She dumped the contents of her book bag and stuffed her items inside. Souta's pills rolled out of her pack as well and she snatched them up and threw them back inside.She slung the pack on her back and put on her shoes. She rushed back to the well house and peered over the edge.
 
There was a long old ladder at the brim of the well. The bottom had dried up long ago but kept damp and cool. When their grandfather had been alive, he had used it as a natural wince cellar. When he passed away, it fell into disuse and was forgotten. Kagome took the flashlight out her pack and shined the light down. It turned the darkness into shadows at the very bottom. Kagome could make out weeds, dust, and…something huddling in the corner. “Souta if you can here me I'm coming down to get you!” she yelled.
 
Kagome put her foot on the first rung cautiously and stepped hard, testing its sturdiness. It didn't budge. She cautiously swung the other leg over and tested the second rung. Her foot met with solid resistance. She did this three more times. Each rung was as sturdy as the last. Well if the first five seemed okay….She stepped down with her full weight on the next one-
 
And it snapped and gave away beneath her. Kagome screamed and pulled herself up, both feet on rung number five. The flashlight fell from her hands and hit the bottom and went out. Rung number five gave a distressing creak. What had seemed sturdy under half her weight now seemed strained under full weight. Kagome reached up for a higher rung to begin climbing-
 
-the snap sounded like a gun shot. Kagome had one hand in the air, the other on the rung. She fell and jerked as her hand that held rung tightly grasped and supported her entire body. But she didn't have a chance. Her knuckles turned white with effort, her palm stung like hot coals…
 
She let go and tumbled down into the darkness with a scream.
 
***
 
There was a demon in the well. When Kagome was a little girl, whenever grandpa was going to check his cellar, he told her he was going to visit the demon. “'He guards it,” said Grandpa. He lifted Kagome over the edge and let her look down.
 
“I can't see him,” she complained
 
“He's down there.” Grandpa said. “He's asleep. But at the same time, he's guarding the well.”
 
“From what?” asked Kagome, in that way that all children ask fatal questions that put a chink in any folktale armor.
 
Grandpa just shrugged. “Anything.” He said. “Best not to figure out, in case he's guarding it from you!” he cried and chased after Kagome in his silly monster act. She laughed and ran and sooner or later, forgot about the sleeping demon in the wine cellar.
 
***
Until now.
 
Ooooh her head.
 
And her wrist.
 
And legs.
 
Everywhere hurt. It started as a dull thud of pain. As she began to gain consciousness, the thud grew and spread. Some places hurt more than others. Like her wrist. It was probably sprained. Kagome opened her eyes and let out a moan. She coughed hard and a cloud of dust erupted around her, causing her to choke. She forced herself to sit up and fan the air with the hand that wasn't in incredible pain.
 
“Souta?” she choked out.
 
The dust began to settle and her eyes started to adjust to the dim light provided from the top. There wasn't much to look at. Kagome made out the side of the well with the ladder, but after some groping and touching, she discovered that the bottom rungs had long ago been eaten away by the damp. She turned around.
 
Now what? Her foot touched something hard and she bent over and picked it up. Her flashlight!
 
She flicked it on but no light was produced. She knocked it against the wall a couple of times but it remained busted. “Great.” She muttered.
 
Her eyes focused on something on the opposite wall. “Souta?” she croaked and stumbled over to the figure. Her fingers met with stone. “Oh.” She said softly.
 
The light cut on. She rolled her eyes and put the light on her discovery. “You're not Souta…”
 
It was…a boy. Not like Souta but a teenage boy…except the ears. The ears were definitely not boy ears. They looked like-
 
“Puppy ears?” she whispered, touching them. They were hard as stone. Her hand trailed down the statue and she felt the intricate details of every strand of hair, and then the closed eyelashes, the pointed nose, and smooth curved mouth. She crouched down, admiring his well carved sleeping face.
 
Kagome sighed and then groaned again. The pain was there, in the background of her senses, making things ache and burn. She really wanted to lay down.
 
“I wish you could help me out of here,” she mumbled, eyeing the far off exit in the sky. She forced herself to stand, pushed away her urge to cry. She turned and made her way to the ladder. Using the flashlight she managed to see that, of course, the nearest rung intact was strictly out of reach.
 
There was a sound. It sounded like little rocks rolling down a mountain. Like a rattle filled with gravel. Like… a stone man standing up.
 
Kagome spun around and was tackled to the ground. The flashlight hit the side of the well and went out again.
 
The darkness filled in.
 
***
 
Anyone interested in being a beta reader? I'd especially love it if you had MSN messenger so I could run my ideas off and get some advice. If you'd like to help, please have an account and a couple of stories I could check out. Email me just your penname or a link to your page. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it just enough to want to know what happens next.
 
Chapter 2- The Demon in the Well will be out sometime next week. See you then!