InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Voices ❯ Like Movies ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: So I just uploaded this story onto mediaminer.org, and boy let me tell you it was a headache. I was raised on ff.net so everything took me about an hour to fix and correct, and even then I still have some minor issues…Damn me and my need for exposure…
 
Also, thank you Z.N Singer and kagomesbutterflyfeeling [From ff.net] for your lengthy and wonderful praise. I re-read them all the time. Also, thanks to anyone who has reviewed, added this story to an alert list, favs list, or whatever. It means a lot to me.
 
One more thing, I now have a beta reader! ^_^ no more re-reading my chapters over and over again until I look like this @_@ and still missing perfectly obvious mistakes. I'm very grateful. Usually I don't-
 
Inuyasha: What is this, a reward speech? Get on with it!
 
^_^'' This is why I don't usually work with him…
 
***
Like Movies
***
 
The tunnel was strange. It was bigger than it actually was. Or at least, to the blind Kagome, it felt bigger than it actually should have been. As soon as she thought her entire body was in, the tiny cramped space felt like it had just dropped away. Inside it was airy and cool and…just creeping the crap out of her.
 
`I wonder if I should open my eyes,' she thought to herself. `If it's a tunnel then it goes one way…or what if it branches off…or I bump into something? God please don't let it be like that movie I saw one time. The one where I`ll open my eyes and I realize I'm crawling around in some huge monster's mouth, because I really don't think I can handle that right now.'
 
She opened one eye carefully. Then the other. She sat back on her legs and looked around.
 
She could see…sort of. It wasn't an all masking darkness like regular darkness. This was…strange.
 
The…surroundings, Kagome had no better word for it, were black and purple. It shifted and blended and moved in odd and far off ways. She couldn't touch the sides from where she stood and she couldn't see them properly either, because they kept changing every time she stared at a section. It began to make her eyes water.
 
She reached out in front of her and saw her hands, perfectly fine. She looked behind her and, yes there in the distance, was a neat little square hole where she must have come from. It remained black- true black, like darkness should be. Well good. At least she would know what to look for when she was on her way back home with Souta.
 
Kagome stood up. She had ample space, seeing as the room seemed practically bigger than three ball rooms combined.
 
“Souta!?” she called warily. “Are you in here?”
 
Strange. Large room and no echo…
 
The hairs on her neck kept rising and prickling her skin. She felt like she was being watched and at the same time, she was somehow watching herself stand in the space. She ran her fingers through her hair- and realized that her wrist didn't hurt anymore. That nothing hurt anymore. She looked at her elbows, knees, and hands. She poked and prodded certain parts of her body that had been terribly achy just a short while ago. She felt fine.
 
Her clothes were still in tatters though. She looked at her torn pajama pants and baggy t-shirt that she had woken up in that morning and saw how dirty they looked. “I wish I looked decent at least,” she mumbled under her breath. And then, right before her eyes her oversized t-shirt was- well, it was perfectly fitting, and clean and nice. Kagome blinked. She had her jeans on…and her favorite blue shirt. She ran her fingers through her hair again and found it smooth and sleek to the touch, perfectly combed. Somehow, in the strange tunnel, she could see herself checking herself over, as if outside her own body. She blinked and the feeling went away, as if running because she had focused on it.
 
“O…kay,” she said aloud. `This is some Narnia-type stuff', she thought. `Or some kind of Journey to the Center of the Earth.' She kept moving. `I can grant my own wishes. Um. But I don't think Johnny Depp and a million dollars would be appropriate right now. It's kind of cool, though...But Souta could be hurt while I'm sitting here playing with magic, so not really.' She stopped dead in her tracks. “Of course!” she cried. If she somehow had this strange little power, why not wish Souta right to her?
 
“I wish I-”
 
She was spun around sharply and met the angry face of Inuyasha.
 
“-Oh!” came the surprised noise from her mouth, cutting her wish off completely. “What are you doing here?” she asked.
 
He gave her a raised eyebrow. He then put a single finger to his lips, signaling her to be quiet. There was no wood here for him to write.
 
She opened her mouth to speak and he moved his finger to her lips, shaking his head no.
 
Kagome froze. She felt the cool touch of his finger and it made her instantly anxious. She nodded and gave him the thumbs-up sign, too flabbergasted to say anything even if she tried. Inuyasha looked at her protruded thumb quizzically.
 
There were no thumbs-up signs where he was from…
 
However, she had nodded so it meant she understood. He looked at her thumb and removed his finger from her lips and cautiously and gently wrapped his palm around it. Perhaps this was some kind of sign that meant they understood each other?
 
Kagome's bundle of nerves made her drop her hand jerkily. That was strange…
 
Inuyasha grabbed her by her wrist and seemed to turn her around, walking her back towards the way she had come.
 
“Uh,” Kagome had to say, “What do you think your doing?”
 
His ears flexed towards her but other than that, it seemed like she had gone unheard.
 
“I already told you,” she said, dropping her wrist from his grip. “I'm not going back without my brother!”
 
Inuyasha grimaced. Four words. That's all he wanted. Four words. He just wanted to turn on her and shake this strange girl and yell in her face-- Shut the hell up!
 
Instead he turned to her and put on his most charming smile. He nodded at her and pointed back towards the portal that led to the well house.
 
She glared at him. “I'm not stupid.” She said. “I know that's not the right way.”
 
Inuyasha's face dropped the smiled and replaced it with a scowl. He sighed, shrugging his shoulders and then before she knew what was happening, he scooped her up, threw her over his shoulder and sprinted like hell back towards the entrance.
 
“Guh-YAH!” She blurted as he performed the unexpected move. She jostled uncomfortably on his shoulder and started to hit his back with her fists angrily. “Put me down! Put me down this instant!” she cried. Her fists felt like she was hitting a sack of flour. With every hit of her fist, a small cloud of dust would rise off of Inuyasha's jacket. “I have powers, you know! I can make you into a frog or something!”
 
Inuyasha stopped. Then he shook his head and kept going.
 
“I wish-”
 
He silently cursed and unceremoniously dropped her to the ground.
 
“Ow!”
 
He pointed back to the exit urgently and stamped his foot. Kagome stood and dusted herself off, as if there was actually dust in this place.
 
“I don't know what's going on and I don't care!” she yelled. Her loud voice didn't seem to have the same painful effect on him here. It had probably been the echoes in the well that had caused him to cringe so.
 
She poked a finger into his chest. “You can go if you want,” she said. “But I won't leave here until I get my brother.”
 
Inuyasha grit his teeth. Then, huffing loudly he nodded. He gave her the thumbs up sign, tapping his foot impatiently.
 
“What does that mean?” she asked, surprised.
 
He pointed at himself and then at her and nodded quickly, offering her his thumbs-up sign.
 
“You're going to help me?” she asked warily. “Why?”
 
He rolled his eyes and then pointed to the exit. Kagome could see him getting more fidgety by the moment.
 
“So…you want me to leave after we get him back?” she hazard a guess.
 
Inuyasha nodded again and grabbed Kagome's slack wrist. He made her squeeze her palm around his thumb. He arched his eyebrows at her, trying to confirm it.
 
Kagome had no problem leaving the creepy black void in the walls of the well house. She thought getting back home and away from a living statute demon boy was perfectly fine with her.
 
“Deal.” She said, giving his thumb a little squeeze. “It's a promise.”
 
He nodded, seemingly satisfied and then spun her in a totally different direction. To Kagome it looked just like the direction she had been walking in when she first came in but the exit was no longer to her back, but to her left.
 
Yet Inuyasha seemed confident that this one was the correct one. He marched off quickly, leaving Kagome to trail behind. She wanted to tell him her idea, about wishing for Souta, but her mouth seemed to fail. Somehow, she felt, this was not the right thing to do at the moment.
 
She looked down at her palm, where she had gripped his callused thumb. Kagome sighed as she followed after her captor/ally. She wasn't sure which category Inuyasha fit into at the moment. It was all so strange. Souta's disappearance, her sudden magic wishing power, the arrival of Inuyasha…
 
Especially Inuyasha…
 
Kagome felt like she was in a foreign movie without the subtitles. She just wanted to know what the heck was going on.
 
***
 
There is a place where things are sent when they are to be forgotten or taken away.
 
They do not go. They are sent.
 
This is important.
 
The passageway served as a link between all worlds. Portals opened and shut, things were taken through and then swiftly moved out. Nothing ever entered the space of its own accord. And on the rare occasions that they did enter, they were…dealt with.
 
Something abnormal was coming. And there was the problem in itself. It was coming, not being taken.
 
This was wrong. This was not how it was supposed to be.
 
In the deepness of the tunnel…something stirred.
 
***
 
The passage seemed like it never ended. There was no real path or significant features that let them know they were heading anywhere. Kagome could literally pick any angle of her choice and walk that way. Although the exit had gotten farther and was long gone from view, nothing had gotten closer and nothing had changed. On top of that, every time she tried to speak, Inuyasha would hush her and give her an angry look.
 
He kept looking around. He would nervously flinch at nothing at all. His ears were constantly moving, trying to pick up the slightest noise. Kagome was starting to think something was wrong.
 
“Are we lost?” she finally had the courage to ask. Inuyasha turned around and watched her carefully. His ears however were tilted the other way, as if he was listening to someone else. He put up a finger to silence her.
 
“A simple yes or no would suffice,” she said, trying to keep her patience. “I have powers you know,” she added, as if this would convince the statue boy to answer her. `Although I don't know why I have them, and I don't really know how it works, so...' She thought to herself.
 
Inuyasha signaled her to be quiet again and visibly tensed. He looked quickly behind him and then grabbed her hand and began pulling her forward. He broke into a run, making Kagome almost trip.
 
“Inuyasha!” she cried, startled by his sudden fear. “What's going on!?” she put a burst of extra speed into her legs just to trail behind him. If he ran any faster he'd be dragging her. She was finally able to break his grip from her hand. She stopped running, trying to catch her breath.
 
“Slow down, I-”
 
He turned and looked past her…
 
And that's when she heard it. It was a little click-click noise. Like the sound of someone walking in heels. However, it soon grew louder and quicker, like a high heeled army marching off beat.
 
Clickclickclickclick-clickclicklclick-clickclick-clickclickclc lickclick-
Clickclickclickclick-clickclicklclick-clickclick-clickclickclc lickclick-
Clickclickclickclick-clickclicklclick-clickclick-clickclickclc lickclick-
 
All at the same time, all off beat. Kagome didn't want to turn around. She didn't want to see. But she knew she would do it anyway. It was inevitable. She turned around slowly.
 
There, in the distance, but very quickly getting closer, was a woman. She had wide white eyes and long black hair. She also had six long arms.
 
Kagome froze on the spot, her heart beating in her throat. Within seconds, the woman was so close Kagome could make out the large set of sharp teeth protruding from her jaw. She was topless, and soon Kagome realized, she wasn't exactly a woman.
 
Suddenly the-thing- rose into the air, supported by thousands of tiny insect legs. Kagome's gaze followed her higher, higher, higher, until she had towered over the girl like a twisted skyscraper. The tiny little legs that supported her wiggled and squirmed and jerked. Her six long arms began to stretch down to the girl, her horrible white eyes with pupils so small they were dots, focused solely on Kagome.
 
Run! Her mind yelled at her. But what good would that do if her legs were as heavy as lead? She opened her mouth to scream but her tongue was as dry as paper. Any second now those hands would have a hold of her. She couldn't even close her eyes!
 
…Later on she was thankful that she couldn't. She would have missed it if she had.
 
There was a swish sound a red blur past in front of her.
 
Suddenly Inuyasha was in the sky, face to face with the insect woman. There seemed to be a look of instant recognition when the creature said “You-” but was cut off by the horrible sound of her throat being cut out of her neck.
 
It was a wet squelching noise that went down forever, as Inuyasha took his claws and brought them down the entire lengthy body of insect feet and hide. For a second, she seemed frozen. Then, as if her body had just realized what had happened, blood sprayed from the wounds, raining down on the both of them.
 
The hands that reached for Kagome twitched and then fell away. The body fell back in on itself, crumbling like a broken pillar.
 
Kagome finally allowed herself to breathe.
 
Inuyasha landed gracefully in front of her. He looked down at the carcass, and prodded a section with his foot. Some of the feelers still moved and jerked in reaction, and he knew that Mistress Centipede would not be indisposed for very long. It was very hard to die here...
 
He turned his eyes to the girl. She was looking at him, eyes wide, mouth closed, breathing so hard and fast she was shaking. What did she think she was doing? Did she really expect getting her brother was going to be easy?
 
Kagome felt weak. Inuyasha had blood splattered all over his face and clothes. His hands were dripping with the stuff. Yet he didn't seem to take notice. His amber eyes burned holes of rage into her. His suddenly normal human face seemed tainted, like a true demon.
 
She looked down at her own clothes and found wet splatters all over her.. She slowly reached up and touched her face, wiping away something wet. There was a smear of crimson on her fingertips…her eyes fluttered closed gently.
 
She fainted.
 
***
 
Funny thing, I thought this chapter was too short and kept writing and writing and writing. Then I realized I had gotten to ten pages and had to cut it off. So the good news is the next chapter is already half way done! Should be up in a few more days.
 
Next chapter- The Other Side