InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wait for Me ❯ The Awakening ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Konichiwa minna-san! I am so sorry for the long wait! Please don't kill me! I hope what I was able to do with this chapter is enough to appease you. I'd like to take this time to thank those that have reviewed this story thus far:
 
Blackartemis
Photographing Poetry
Krazie-edge
Neckroz209
And my wonderful reviser
XO'MagickMoon'OX (Luv ya Ane-chan!)
 
Again, sorry I took so long! Review me guys! Tanoshii omoi o suru!
 
Disclaimer: Unfortunately I am not Rumiko Takahashi-sama, therefore I do not own Inu-kun or anyone/thing related to his show.
 
 
Chapter Three
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
It had been almost two weeks, and Kagome was doing better with each passing day. Her breathing got stronger, the color was steadily returning to her previously pale cheeks, and on more than one occasion he had sworn that she had twitched when he brushed a stray hair away from her face or put his hand over hers. No one else seemed to get these reactions from her, so he simply wrote it off as his imagination.
 
It had been raining on and off for three days strait, but tonight was a complete down-poor. Thunder and lightning racked the world outside. He sat on his hospital bed watching the falling droplets and thinking about that girl. He tried his best not to be around while her family visited after what happened with her mother. There was one incident, though, that he hadn't gotten out of earshot of the room before Mrs. Higurashi and a younger boy, Souta, came to visit.
 
Flashback
 
“But Mom! You said yourself that he looked like him! What if he is one?!” The boy seemed almost overly enthusiastic.
 
“Souta, that's enough! We don't talk of such things out in public and you very well know why!” Mrs. Higurashi bit out in an angry whisper. It seemed she had been having this argument for a while. But what could be such a secret that they couldn't talk it over anywhere in public?
 
“But Mom!” Souta persisted, “Kagome-onee-chan is one. You remember what she told us. What if he's Inu-no-nii-chan's? Ever since he came around Nee-chan's been doing so much better!”
 
“Souta! I said that's enough! I know you're excited that you finally have a chance to get your sister back, we all are, but we can't possibly even hope for such an outrageous miracle like that! Now I don't want to hear another word about it!” She was genuinely upset now. After that he had turned the corner and could no longer hear what was said.
 
End flashback
 
What were they talking about? It seemed at least part of their conversation was about him. Now that he thought about it, the wench had been doing a lot better since he moved in. But who's this `Inu-no-nii-chan' guy? And what did the kid mean `Kagome's one what if he was one too'? One what?
 
Lightning flashed outside the window, followed by a loud crack and rumbling sounds. The only sounds in the room were the pitter-patter of the rain on the window and the rhythmic beep of Kagome's cardio-monitor. The lights were out, inside curtains drawn. None of the nurses knew of his sleepless nights thinking about the goddamn wench. She wasn't even conscious and she was the most irritating person he knew. Granted, he didn't know many people, but still!
 
He looked away from the storm, turning his attention to said wench instead. He walked over and sat on the edge of her bed. She looked so peaceful, like nothing was wrong at all. With a light touch he traced her features, from just above her right eyebrow, down her jaw-line, and trailed down to the chain she wore around her neck. It was a small gold chain necklace that seemed to have some type of bauble at the end, though it was always tucked neatly under her hospital gown.
 
Carefully he lifted the chain so he could see the pendant. A medium sized pinkish-purple marble type object. `What the…' Either he was going crazy, or that marble was starting to glow! As he held the glowing jewel it became brighter and images suddenly began to shoot across his mind. First, a woman that looked a bit like Kagome, but had a lifeless look in her eyes and a sad smile. Then, the same girl, but angry. Her long black hair and feudal era style miko robes blowing in the wind as she released the taught arrow in her bow. An unexpected searing pain lodged itself in his chest, like he'd been stabbed.
 
Next he saw Kagome, the real Kagome. She was scared and in danger. He watched as some kind of light came from the sword he held, destroying the…whatever it was that was attacking her. Then another girl, a bit older, with long brown hair up in a high ponytail holding an extremely oversized boomerang. A small, two-tailed cat in her arms. Another flash came, this time of a young male in buddhist monk robes, his hair in a small ponytail at the nape of his neck. Then a small child with reddish hair. Though he was short he didn't seem extremely young. And…was that a tail? Finally he saw Kagome again. This time she was crying, hovering over him, the sight made his gut wrench. Though her mouth didn't move her eyes spoke volumes. `I love you.' Then darkness took over.
 
He couldn't take it anymore. He dropped the still glowing marble, eyes wide, breathing irregular. `What…the hell…was that!?' Was all he could think. Ti was so strange, but so familiar at the same time. Lightning flashed outside. He looked at his sleeping roommate. “What the hell happened to you?”