InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Got Nothing ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~I have and never will own Inuyasha~

~I will forever own Choice of Destiny & Walk of Destiny~

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings1

Chapter 5 ~ Got Nothing

"GET OUT!" the cry clapped through the stone pit. The noise shattered the glass walls that the miko had surrendered to. Kagome tucked herself tighter into a ball, 'Leave me alone.'

"Get out!" someone began to shake her feverishly, "Get out!"

She shoved herself further into the earth's womb, "Go away!"

The annoying shakes were persistent. Angrily the time traveler pushed backwards and flung into a sitting position, "What's your problem?!"

Kagome froze.

Destiny had tears streaming from her face and her body was quivering. The small girl glanced at the well's opening, "You must get out of here!"

Still riding on her emotions, it took some time for Kagome to focus, "Wh-what's wrong?"

"Please, do what I say!" Destiny sobbed, "Get out of the well!"

Kagome blinked rapidly, 'She's acting so frantic. What's wrong?'

There came no response from the miko causing the child to grab the woman by the shirt, "GET OUT NOW!"

The maiden stared at the girl, seeing wild panic, 'She's out of control, but why? What could she be upset about? I mean she is some supernatural being. What could be so important that it involves me, a mortal, getting out of the well?'

Live electricity crackled, their hair standing out end. White heat flushed down into the bottom of the pit retrieving an instant look upwards from the ladies.

"Darn it! Too late!" Destiny yelled, just as a loud earthquake shook.

Kagome stared up at the blue patch of sky, suddenly noticing the glowing yellow light overtaking her view of the clouds.

Rapid words began to pass from the girl's mouth. Words Kagome had never heard were spoken, but she knew instinctively that the phrases held sacred power.

Her eyes snapped onto her companion, and saw the child closing her eyes with hands clenched before her face, like a priest or priestess.

'What the-'

Suddenly the quake made a lasting rumble, seconds before the bundle of electricity crashed into the well. Kagome's mouth fell open as the huge stone fragments rained in a heavy shower.

There was never a chance to scream before the white light exploded in her head.

_________________________________________________

Kagome blinked once. Twice.

Stone was absent from her view. All that remained was black grass and scorched earth. Dark clouds raced to the sky. The well had fallen victim to some crime she could not see.

With blood leaking from her brow, the magical child knelt urging the time traveler to leave. Destiny feebly whispered through a muffled cough, "Hurry. Run."

"Destiny!" the miko cupped the youth's cheek, "What happened to you?"

Dull emerald eyes stared back at her, "It took a great deal out of me, but I pulled you out of the well. Unfortunately, I did not escape as unscathed as you."

Kagome shook her head silently, 'How? How can she be bleeding? Isn't she some supernatural being? I never heard of mythological gods bleeding.'

Destiny shoved the woman away and scrambled up, "He's tracked you down to kill you! Hurry and run!"

That got her attention.

"Who?!" the miko swung her head around and immediately noticed the white figure neared the bottom of the hill. Her eyes swelled as her stomach disappeared, "Sesshoumaru?"

'GO!'

Kagome twisted around and saw the expected empty spot her guardian had once occupied. Standing, she faced the dog demon.

'Destiny, why couldn't you stay around a little longer and help?!'

He hadn't noticed her yet. He thought she was still in the well.

Thank god.

Now she needed to make a clean getaway. Fate wouldn't let her escape so easily and shifted the wind abruptly. Her body went cold when she noticed she was now upwind.

"Oh no" Kagome hissed. He lifted his chin, putting his nose to the air. Before she could even turn towards the forest, his gold eyes locked with hers.

'I'm dead.'

In the moment she took the luxury to blink, he had moved to stand directly inches from her. She was startled off balanced, but she quickly found herself and glared back at his slack face, 'You can't outrun him. There's no way you can defeat him either. I was able to defeat Naraku because my purity was poison to him, but Sesshoumaru is a whole different ballgame.'

"What do you want, Sesshoumaru?" she growled.

'Stall.'

His remaining arm pulled upward, a green haze pulsing around his fingertips.

'Forget that!'

She tumbled to the left. His claws raked her back melting away the lower portion of her shirt. She was on her hands and knees when he came for a second blow.

Scattered fighting moves jumped through her head, and luck was with her when she chose one. Kagome slammed her back to the ground and clumsily brought both feet to his gut. Startled by the unexpected resourcefulness of his prey, the demon was unable to stop his momentum from flipping over her.

Naturally, however, while he was in mid-throw he corrected his position and landed neatly on his feet, unfazed. His eyes carefully watched her rush to her feet, "You've learned a few things since we last met."

"Obvious as always" Kagome snapped, trying to think fast, 'Even in an open area he's got me cornered.'

She tucked in her elbows and sought for her miko powers, her only defense. She could sense the warmth in her body, but when she went to take hold of the pulsating sensation it slipped from her fingers.

She noticed Sesshoumaru studying her, his body ready to counterattack.

Again Kagome reached inside her body for the ancient power, but refused to obey her.

'Dang, not now!'

A third time retrieved no glow to her hands.

She stared at the ground, perspiring from the strain, 'What's wrong?'

Glancing up Kagome saw the demon lord purposefully moving towards her

No Destiny.

No bow.

No arrows.

No friends.

No over-possessive wolf demon.

All she had was her last resort: Inuyasha.

Even before she could open her mouth, the air to her throat was cut off. His gold eyes, now larger and closer, gazed sharply into her own, "My half-brother will not be helping you."

Her toes dragged along the ground as he pulled her up and over his head. Her fingers desperately pulled at his locked hand, 'Why is he doing this? He's never had a desire to kill me.'

Black haze swam into view. Kagome squinted and realized the haze was the smoke floating up from the scorched earth.

Maybe someone heard the blast.

Maybe they were on their way.

Kagome's hands soon flapped to her sides, too heavy to hold up. She concentrated on his eyes, using pure stubborn will to keep her from blacking out.

'Think you, stupid girl!'

She didn't recall one of Sango's complex moves just then. Instead, the twentieth century girl resorted to one of the more common attacks from her time. Using what strength remained in her she pulled back her leg, tucking it into a practiced bend.

When her throat slipped his relaxed hand, she collapsed in a heap and sucked on the thick air. Lazily, she turned her face and noticed her knee had hit his stomach, missing the obvious target by a foot.

'Get up! Get up!'

Ever fiber quivered as she made a valiant effort to rise, but far too slow. The oxygen was pushing to reach the bloodstream, but it needed time to return strength to her limbs.

When she had shakily gotten to her feet, he surged forward and lashed out with a dim hand while he passed. She instinctively cowered into a fetal position as the pain resounded from her side up her spine.

Though his attack had not been with poison, his claws had done enough damage to immobilize her. Her eyes pinched shut, 'I was able to kill one of the greatest demons, yet I'm going to die from Inuyasha's pissed off, psychotic brother.'

Her eyes fearfully peeked open, her superior looked intently at her with an unsatisfied scowl.

"Get up" he commanded evenly.

Kagome's eyebrow lifted, "Huh?"

"Get up" he repeated a little louder.

"Kagome?"

The voice was too far away.

Too late.

Still in a daze, she surprisingly was obedient and got to her knees. Reaching her feet, the miko wobbled slightly and gradually hunched forward, black hair blocking her view.

"Kagome?"

Louder, but still faint.

Still too late.

She barely saw the kick when it came.

She bit down on her tongue, trying to keep from screaming. Already she could feel the warm blood leaking from her nose and dripping from her busted lip. And heck, she experienced the pain that came with the package.

It was when he began to talk again that she realized she was laying on her injured side, looking through burnt grass.

"She was wrong about you being a challenge" his voice spoke with no edge, no haughtiness, no triumphant. He was a book with blank pages.

She tried to move her head, to watch him kill her, but she could barely twitch a small finger. She was at his mercy.

But even with death breathing its foul breath on her face, she was not distressed.

There was no urgent need to plead for life. A spiritual calm had blanketed her, accepting her fate.

She wanted to die like this. It was not the coward's way of suicide, but the end of a fighter. The battle had been short and easily decided, but at least she had not surrendered.

Perhaps as she lied there, her body broken, a part of her was happy to go. What she had sacrificed for and what she had desired most, she had selfishly destroyed.

Before she had been willing to accept he loved another. She was able to move on knowing he would be happy, even if it was with someone else, but now she couldn't even see him ever being happy. She had done the one thing she had silently vowed never to do.

'I did what Kikyo did. I betrayed him.'

Suffocating heat traveled to her chest, slowing her heart.

It was better this way. For him to never know she had loved him so completely.

Maybe when he found her body he would not feel so guilty.

As she waited on her death, her families, from both times, did not linger in her mind. They would move on. Those in the Feudal Era had accepted her going to the future weeks ago. Now they would have to mourn her death, but their grief would pass given time. Her blood family was already grieving over her departure from their time. It would be good that they would never know she died shortly after her decision.

She regretted having both mourn her, but she could not change that now. It was too late.

As the miko was inwardly speaking her final farewell, Sesshoumaru brought her back to the pain of reality with something utterly unexpected.

"I have grown bored" he said smoothly, "The threat she spoke of is not here, and now I have no reason to finish this."

When she heard his feet move away, the grass scratching against each other, Kagome wasn't sure she should cry with sorrow or laugh with joy. What she did do was faint.