InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Lost Marbles ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Disclaimer: If you haven't notice the disclaimers at the top of the last eight chapters under this story, than I will repeat myself again: I do not own the anime series, Inuyasha, but I do own the two stories, Choice of Destiny & Walk of Destiny, which are my original fiction continuing off the Inuyasha storyline. ~

Walk of Destiny

By angelwings1

Edited by Kelli G

Chapter 9 ~ Lost Marbles

"Daddy?"

"What is it, Kagome?" He had been smiling, but his eyes were weary. Why did she remember that?

She grabbed at his jeans, pulling her little body up into his lap. They were at the kitchen table. "Can we go play at the park, daddy?"

His smile disappeared.

"Kagome, you know your father just got home," her mother said sternly; Kagome didn't see her in the scene. She had to be off in the background. "He's tired. Let him rest. How about I bring you to the park?"

"But I want daddy."

"Daddy," Kagome whispered. The memory was scratchy, with only bits and pieces left fresh in her head. It was one of the few scenes she remembered her father in, and the small clip revealed nothing about him. She had spent years rewinding and replaying scattered images, desperately trying to piece together the man that had been her father. But once she had sworn off asking her mother about such things, she had also tried to bury the memories. If she would never know him, then she no longer wanted the images tormenting her curiosity.

Unfortunately, the face of the priest had caused the random memory to surface, bringing back the painful desire to meet/know him. There was no doubt that this man was a perfect twin for her father's picture, but it was impossible for him to be any more than a look-a-like. 'That isn't my physical father. That must be his ancestor.'

Sango scowled "What did you say, Kagome?"

The miko frantically shook her head, not wanting to pull her heart out again. "Nothing. Let's hurry and bring Lord Neekal to Kaede."

For several moments, Sango stared at her sister's pale face. She was certain Kagome had spoken, but she decided to let it go. Sighing, the slayer nodded.

The head priest hobbled forward, leaning heavily on his cane. Hot swells of power were dripping off of these two men. 'Who are they?'

"Father, please let me do this," the second priest pleaded, taking his lord's wrinkled hand. "You need not spend the last of your strength climbing so high just to speak to the village elder. Let me do the job as Kaizoe [second] Priest."

'Father?' Kagome blinked. 'If this man is my father's ancestor, then that makes the Head Priest the ancestor of my father's father, the grandfather I never knew.'

The elder shook the younger man away. "Son, you know this day is important, and not a single word must be misspoken. My blood might be thinning, but a few stairs will not end my life before Kami is ready."

That would never soothe a son's worries. "But, father!"

"Enough," Neekal commanded, his tone feverishly strong. "Now step back, Rashu."

With a flushed face, the son bit his lip and pushed down his burning frustration. "Yes, Father."

Rashu bowed, palms together in ritualistic respect as he pulled away to fade into the background.

"Maybe it would be better if we brought Kaede here," the miko offered politely, still staring at the son. "It would only take a moment."

Neekal smiled, his face seeming to become a lake of ripples. "That's very kind of you. Thank you for your trouble."

He appeared so gentle to her. Why should she be suspicious of him?

"It's no trouble at all," Kagome replied, while turning to the huntress beside her. "Sango, could you do me the favor of retrieving Kaede while I speak to Lord Neekal?"

Her sister easily agreed. "Sure, Kagome. I'll be right back."

Twirling, Sango hurried off with Kilala, signaling to her brother and to her love that all was well. Both eager to discover the news, Miroku and Kohaku strode to the miko's side. "Kagome?"

The time traveler glimpsed her family's approach. "Lord Neekal, while we wait on Kaede, let me introduce you to my family."

The old man nodded, already eyeing the approaching figures. "Please do, my lady."

The small group pulled together, mingling uncomfortably under the holy man's gaze. They stood in a line from tallest to smallest with Miroku at the head and Shippo taking the tail. Kagome's face was bright and proud, excited to show off the people who were her life.

Coming to stand by her brother, the miko began the introductions. "This is Miroku, a monk from the north who has spent the last four years traveling beside me."

Miroku immediately bowed, one vertical palm across his face.

Walking past the monk, Kagome next stood beside the slayer, placing a hand on his shoulder. "This is Kohaku, one of the last slayers from the east, and sister to Sango, the lady who just left to retrieve Kaede."

The boy also bowed, but with both hands at his side.

Kneeling in front of the last two, the miko gather together the girl and kit. With both of them hugging her around the hips, the woman turned around with a broad grin. "And these two are my adopted children, Shippo and Rin."

Neekal hunched forward, narrowing his eyes on the bundles in her arms. "Children?"

Ignoring the ache in his knees, the priest hobbled towards the miko. Still well aware of the waves of awesome power radiating from the man, Kagome was slightly intimidated, and tightened her arms around the kids. 'I need to calm down! I'm overreacting. He wouldn't do anything to us.'

But she couldn't hear her inner voice once he was a foot in front of her, his hard gaze closing in. He was deep in concentration as he focused on them, almost as if some deep secret lay within the two children she held. Kagome bit the inside of her cheek, feeling very awkward. 'What is he thinking?'

Shippo shifted against her, and she tore her eyes away from the priest to glance down at the kit. Both he and Rin were pressed against her hips, frantically hoping to disappear in her robes. Kagome sucked in a sharp breath as she sawthat their eyes were wide and slightly glazed.

Neekal stretched out his hand, fingers mere inches from touching their small faces. An onslaught of invisible/unseen fire pressed into the miko's flesh, singeing her pores. But her body would not respond to the pain. Her limbs were fixed, unyielding, as her mind grew numb. 'What's happening? Why c-can't I move?'

A blanket seemed to swallow her head, pulling her thoughts deep into stiff mud. The barest twitch of her fingers took all of her focus. Her eyes flickered. 'Does no one see what he's doing?'

She dragged her head up, battling the floating sensation in her skull. Miroku and Kohaku stood motionless, their lifeless eyes staring past the priest. 'What happened?'

She pushed her sight upward, and saw a bird flying above her head, frozen in the air. It was like something from a dream, seeing its small white wings frozen stiff. 'Has all of time stopped?'

Dizziness took her as she forced her eyes back on the priest, the scene toppling in a violent spiral. His face alone did not move as sky replaced earth beneath her feet. 'Just how powerful is this man?'

His lips began to crawl open as a voice deeper than his own spoke. "Za kiani imei ti seija akini."

Cold air, without warning, surged into her lungs, snapping time back into regular speed. Kagome painfully gasped against the stabbing in her ribs. She glanced over at her brothers and noticed they were still gazing towards the caravan, oblivious to her struggle. 'What just happened? What did he do?'

She swiveled around and noticed that, surprisingly, the priest was no longer in front of her; instead, he was twenty feet away next to the carriage, where he had first been. He was smiling warmly, acting as if he had never moved.

Even though he appeared unaware of the unusual event, the miko saw the shadowy look in his eyes. He knew.

Unable to stomach the strange look he had, Kagome ducked her head and glanced at Shippo and Rin. The miko was shocked to find a complete lack of fear in their blank expressions.

Her eyes skimmed over the crowd of people, searching for some significant glimmer that would contrast against the ignorant faces. 'Was I the only one who noticed?'

"Good day to ye, Lord Neekal," Kaede called, snapping Kagome's focus onto her approaching teacher. "I have heard of ye and your work. Are ye not the priest who seeks out powerful demons in the name of Tami?"

The old man nodded, eyes now bright as the summer sky. "Yes, I am that priest."

Kaede stepped past her student, her eyes traveling over her young disciple. Inwardly, Kagome wondered if her teacher had seen what had transpired seconds before her arrival. If she had, the elder showed no concern as she walked by.

While the two leaders were busy greeting one another, a crowd began to circle them, both from the village and the caravan. Faces mingled, and soon Kagome could not see where her people began or ended. The muffled voices spoke quietly, giving the leaders a circle of silence to speak in.

With all the people pressing against each other, Kagome was surprised she was able to hear Sango speak. "I don't know who that man is, but I don't think Kaede approves of him. She didn't seem pleased when I gave her his name."

"I wonder why," the time traveler mumbled as she glanced at her teacher, watching her agitated body language. "At first, I didn't think badly of him, but now I wonder."

"As do I," the huntress whispered, keeping her voice low so others could not hear. They didn't want the villagers to grow frightened by their speculation. "Am I right to think he is powerful?"

Kagome nodded, sight set on the man. "He is quite powerful. I would say he almost tips the scale against Kaede."

"Well, good thing we have you, then," her sister joked. "I bet you could run circles around him, Kagome."

The miko couldn't laugh at the joke. "Maybe, but I don't want to think they came for hostile reasons."

Sango's lips went in a firm line as she scanned the crowd. "It's hard to say nowadays. With villages fighting villages, it's hard to tell if people come for help or for an invasion. But with two priests and a lack of warriors, these people don't appear to be wanting to fight."

'If they are here to fight, then we are in a bad position with them mingling in the crowd like this,' Kagome thought, her body tense. 'Course, I don't see a weapon on anyone here, not even the villagers.'

"I sense a great deal of holy power centered here," Miroku warned, coming up beside the ladies with Kohaku.

Kagome extended her powers over the crowd, feeling the familiar warmth several people projected. She nodded after several moments, confirming his suspicions. "The two priests are powerful, but I can sense several other people with their own small bit of power."

"What does that mean?" Kohaku asked, slightly unnerved at having that many people with magical abilities here. No one answered him, unable to offer any thought.

The wind shifted, and a sour smell rolled off the north. Kagome glanced over at her sister, wondering if she noticed the change. But even when Sango inhaled deeply, her nose did not wrinkle.

The miko glanced over the village houses, leveling her eyes on the forest. 'What is it, then?'

Minutes ticked away, and the twisted, tangy smell continued to plague her nostrils. Kagome froze when saw a spray of birds fling themselves out of the treetops and into the sky. Maybe she was no seasoned hunter or fighter, but she could easily see the birds were spooked. 'Something's out there.'

Kaede stared at the priest who had entered her village, waiting for him to explain his purpose, when the scent crossed under her nose. It was slight, but her experienced senses caught it. 'Tangy…'

Kagome leaned towards Sango. "Where was Inuyasha this morning?"

"He was out on patrol again," she replied.

Kagome nibbled on her bottom lip, giving the dark trees another wavering look. "So he wouldn't be in the forest?"

"No, I doubt he would be." Sango frowned as she saw the worry in her sister's brown eyes. "What's wrong, Kagome?"

The smell was thicker, stronger. Whatever smelled so bad was growing, or coming closer.

"Kaede!" a gruff voice shouted in hysteria.

Kagome quickly brought her eyes in the direction of the speaker: up. Even with the sun directly behind the blurring figure, distorting her eyesight, the time traveler knew exactly who belonged to the voice. "Inuyasha!"

With demon ease, the hanyou dropped down into the open center of the crowd, landing directly between the elders. His gold eyes were wide, and his ears twitched nervously atop his pearl crown as he faced the old woman.

"Kaede, we have a problem," Inuyasha said hastily, ignoring everyone but her. "There's a small army of demons coming from the north-east, directly through the forest."

"What?!" the priestess exclaimed, automatically on her toes. Ripples of panic rolled through the people. As Kagome had seen before, mothers protectively grabbed hold of their children and men ran to their houses, searching for weapons. Screams bellowed, and frantic cries were heard amid the wild stamping of feet. Even with several holy figures and fighters, the people were still driven by empty fear.

'And I don't have a bow or an arrow!' Kagome grumbled mentally. 'Great…'

With the boomerang already in her hands, Sango called out to Inuyasha. "How many?!"

He swirled around, his white locks slapping his cheeks. "At least four hun-"

'CRASH'

All Kagome could hear was her own raspy breathing as curls of dust trembled around the monstrous neck, emphasizing the network of muscles hidden beneath his scaly armor. Every blood vessel went dry, unable to send the color into her face, as Kagome saw the white jaws of a mythological dragon. She must have blinked, because his teeth were instantly a foot away from her face, and growing closer.

Fortunately for the time traveler and the two children in her arms, they had a hanyou for a rescuer. Never realizing when they had been pulled out of danger, Kagome stared up at her hero's feral snarl. "I-Inuyasha."

His gold eyes, which had been glaring at her attacker, rested on her. "Are you okay?"

Still shaken, the woman took a breath to check over the two frightened kids. "We're fine. Thanks."

He gave his usual nod and resettled his gaze on his opponent. Saving her butt had become a daily event for the half-demon. "I'll handle him. You get moving."

Whether he meant for her to hide from the growing danger or find a weapon for protection, the woman didn't know, or care. Either way, she would do what she thought was best, and that was to protect this village. "Go, Inuyasha. I'll be fine."

The battle lost its importance in that second, and the hanyou turned to her again, his anxious face staring at her as a hundred dark scenarios ran through his head. Fours years didn't stop the worry from plugging his throat. It was always hard to leave her alone when he ran off to fight. "Ok."

Then he was sailing/leaping into the air, whipping out his golden sword like an archangel challenging all of Hell. Kagome stared proudly after the red and white streak, wishing she could go with him. Knowing better, the miko instead dragged herself and the children to their dusty feet.

Following her instincts, she quickly swept her brown eyes over the village. Tearing down the unprotected, the demons consumed the streets and left the corpses in mountainous heaps. Sango, Kohaku, and Miroku kept together, intuitively falling into a strategic triangle, guarding each other's shoulders. Immediately the demons swarmed the three, realizing they were prized fighters.

Kagome scowled.

These demons were analyzing the situation instead of blindly flinging themselves into battle. The villagers were barely getting any attention from their attackers, while the fighters, priests, and priestesses were never overlooked. Calculating the situations, the demons prevented the strong fighters from helping the weak, hoping to suffocate a great number in one sweep.

A blare of noise broke out as fire exploded from one of the huts. Kagome froze at sight of the orange dance. The week had been dry, and the houses would easily be consumed.

'The entire village will burn down!' the miko screamed inwardly. 'Darn this time for not having fire trucks!'

Villagers hastily rushed towards the burning home with dripping buckets in their hands. Kagome's panic instantly dropped from her shoulders, and was replacedwith proud astonishment. They were laying themselves open to attack just so they could make sure their village would survive.

"They have faith that we will win," Kagome muttered, a grin slowly rising. The miko refused to stand by and watch them condemn themselves to the demons. Pushing Shippo onto her back and cradling Rin like a babe, the priestess dug her heels into the dirt and raced towards the house. Kagome ignored the fact that she had no weapon to protect the villagers, Shippo, Rin, or herself. All she had was her powers, and she would rely on her faith that she could wield them. 'If there is a god, or some other supernatural being who gave me this gift, then he would not let it go to waste now.'

Sliding to a stop at the front of the house, Kagome set Rin behind her while Shippo slid off her back. She looked over her shoulders at the frightened villagers, seeing their wide eyes.

"Keep going with the water," she shouted over the noise/din of battle. "I'll protect you."

Nodding in understanding, they turned, focusing all of their concentration on keeping the fire contained to one house.

"Don't worry, Kagome," Shippo yelled, taking a position at her side. "I'll help."

She glanced warily at the young kit. 'He's fought before, Kagome. He can handle this.'

Blue light danced over the demon's body, licking his gold fur in a harmless flame. She forced her eyes away from his transformation. Her guard had been down for the last few minutes, and to waste any more time would be a fatal mistake for them all. Looking up, she was proven right, as a large worm demon dropped from the sky.

Kagome inhaled deeply as she squared her shoulders and made a silent plea. 'Don't fail me now that I need you.'

This being the first time she had relied solely on her miko powers, without even a weapon to focus the mystical energy, Kagome resorted to her instincts-or reflexes-and awkwardly raised up her palms. 'I believe it is wishes that control the powers in my body. If so, then I wish to protect these people and this village!'

As the monster came within range, the warmth of her powers crackled along her fingers. The familiar rosy glow spilled out over her hands and cast a magical aura over the woman, seconds before the demon rammed into her barrier. Kagome watched with a giddy sense of success as the burnt corpse fell to the ground at her feet.

Rin clapped excitedly, and Shippo gave his mother a flash of his new incisors. "Nice job, Kagome!"

[888]

Kaede whirled on her toes, keeping her clasped hands close to her chest as she rapidly recited another prayer. Her shoulders began to shake as the new attacker crumbled before her. Her years were stealing the air from her lungs.

If she had had a bow and arrows, she would have been handling things better, but luck-or fate-was not with her. Kaede knew this, especially when a bronze cat demon landed next in line.

Kaede panted at the sight of the cat circling, its red eyes set on her. He stepped lightly, one ear swiveling, listening to the demons and humans clashing behind him. Immediately, the miko understood her challenger was experienced.

"You are old, miko," he stated, his tone playfully calm, as if he were only a rude visitor. "Of course, your age is proof that you are skilled, for otherwise you would not have lived so long. However, I am certain your eyes shall not see today's sunset.'

The miko didn't flinch as he gave her a wicked grin.

[888]

Inuyasha dropped to the ground, and toppled to the right, avoiding the dragon's jaws. His wild bangs swayed in front of his narrowed eyes, and the hanyou swirled to again face his opponent. The purple beast growled a challenge as he slithered leisurely from a distance. Inuyasha bared his fangs, eager to kill the lizard, but unable to. This demon was a face dragon like his father's old enemy, and only Tessiaga's strongest attack would defeat him, but it would also cost a quarter of the village houses.

He needed to herd the demon out into the open fields. It would be a difficult feat to perform without harming the houses in the process, but it would not be impossible.

Just before he could leap, however, a sadistic woman's voice held down his feet. "Shiro! The slayers and monk were your charge. Now leave me to mine."

The giant half-turned his head, keeping a red eye on the hanyou. "If you continue to forget that my title weighs just as heavily as yours, Sakura, then I will have to force your memory."

Inuyasha blinked several times at the elegant demon woman standing on the rooftop; she seemed to have mystically appeared out of thin air. 'Shiro? Sakura?'

She gave a feral snarl and her eyes flashed red. "Need I remind you that we have a plan to uphold? Or would you like me to force your small brain to remember?!"

"One more step, Sakura." Shiro arched his spine and hissed threateningly. "You are expendable."

She sneered and walked past him, her calm unbroken. "Not if you want to live through this."

Inuyasha's amber eyes darted between the two. 'Who are they? And what are they talking about?'

Shiro gave a final growl, drawing the line between them, before setting out to seek his true charge. In a sign of defiance, Sakura kept her back to him as he left, fearlessly refusing to acknowledge his departure. No demon would step on her toes.

Arching her eyebrows suggestively, the demon mistress stepped forward with the regality of a queen. "So, you're Inuyasha… the bastard hanyou."

His hands ground around the hilt of his sword with barely restrained rage. "Watch it!"

She ignored him as she ran her eyes up and down his hunched form. "Stubborn, rash and weak…"

Inuyasha growled. No one would run his name through the dirt!

"You're just like him…"

The urge to separate her head from her body was already pulling his heel backwards into position. "Like who?"

She leveled her gaze as she took another step forward. "My dead mate. You knew him as Father."

[888]

Sango pulled hard on the strap and slammed the boomerang into the bat demon's face. When she heard the familiar sickening crack of bone, the huntress knew she was done with this opponent. His lifeless body fell atop her growing pile of kills.

This wasn't working. Maybe with Kohaku and Miroku with her they were able to defend themselves, but they were all wearing out. Plus, the scattered villagers were being picked off by the lesser demons!

'Wait a minute…Kohaku's fighting?…'

Her joints went stiff as she stared at the sickle whizzing in a circle, slicing down demons in sweeps. As the silver streak flew from his trained grip, Kohaku resembled his slayer heritage.

'But how?!' his sister wondered, unable to tear her eyes away. 'Kohaku…'

Movement brought her gaze downwards, onto a pair of small children fearfully hugging the boy's ankles. The boy slayer gritted his teeth as he fought, a shadow of determination casting itself over his face.

The huntress' mouth fell open. 'He's doing this to protect the villagers.'

"Sango! Up!"

The pit of her stomach fell out as she heard her brother's warning, and fearfully she whipped back her head. In seconds a face dragon came into her line of sight, his jaws coming straight down.

Relying on her fast reflexes, the woman tumbled forward. The ground shook viciously beneath her, giving her the soothing knowledge that she had escaped. Once she was standing, she found that Kohaku and Miroku were already attacking the beast. The triangle was finally broken.

'It's getting better and better!' Sango gritted her teeth and tossed her boomerang over her shoulder before flying head first at the demon.

[888]

Kagome's knees gave out suddenly, leaving her completely unguarded against the next wave of demons. She wasn't afraid, though, for as the threat came into snapping range, a blue fire surrounded herself and Rin, torching the flesh from the demon's skeleton.

The miko clutched her chest painfully as she smiled at the golden fox in front of her. "Thanks, Shippo."

The young kit grinned, overwhelmed with giddiness. He had never been such a big help before, and his success at protecting his mother was an exciting experience. He was finally able to prove he was more than just a kid.

Kagome went into her third coughing fit as she swallowed another cloud of dust. Her body felt drained and completely stressed out, stretching at the seams. Her lungs were about to give out! She never imagined using her powers would take this much out of her. 'I wonder if this is why Kaede rarely uses hers?'

Pushing herself off of her knees, the miko panted heavily while she readied for the second round. Shippo hurried back to Rin's side, resuming his guard at the woman's back.

'I'm not out yet,' Kagome shouted inwardly, her blood pumping. But it drained away from her face immediately as a familiar face stepped forward. "Sesshoumaru?"

Rin instantly popped her small black head out from behind the miko at the mention of his name. "Sesshy?"

The demon strode purposefully forward, a cold glint in his golden eyes. Watching his powerful strides, Kagome quickly pressed her hand against the small child. 'He's not here for her.'

Just as her woman's intuition had screamed, he swept out his green whip, explaining perfectly why he was here. Kagome swallowed fearfully and readjusted her weight. 'He's here to fight?! What the crap?!'

Announcing the beginning of the fight, the glowing lime-green whip sprang at her like a cobra. This fight would be different from the last. This time she was ready.

Kagome lifted her hands over her head, her lips in a grim line. Green meshed with pink as the time traveler studied the Western Lord intently. 'Why is he doing this?! I thought he wanted me to protect her!'

[888]

Inuyasha's shoulders dropped, disbelief filtering into his face. "You're Sesshoumaru's mother?"

"In the flesh," she laughed with a hollow tenor.

Remembering where they were, Inuyasha quickly went back into his defensive stance. She was trying to pull down his guard. "That doesn't change anything!"

"But it does." She smiled, glee dancing in her gold eyes as she toyed with his strings. "By every unwritten law, I should kill you, Inuyasha. I was his first mate, the one he was supposed to honor, and you are the child of the woman who shamed my house, not to mention your father's."

"Keep her out of this," he snapped dangerously.

"You also stand between me and the slaughter of these people."

"You touch one person here, and I'll personally send you to meet my father," he threatened. This was no game.

Sakura barely batted an eye. "But the true reason I want your head is because you are a traitor to the blood that runs in our veins."

"Liar!" he bellowed, succumbing to his wild charge. His heart thrummed in his ears as her words rang.

Calmly, she bent her knees and hopped backwards, out of range. Inuyasha quickly dug his feet into the dirt, and slowed himself in time to whirl on her. Tessiaga scraped across the ground and swung violently upwards in one whistling snap.

Inuyasha stumbled as his sword bounced back at him. Staring at her laid back posture, the hanyou blinked rapidly in surprise. A short sword with a black hilt was dangling from her fingers. He wasn't positive, but he was almost certain there was a small gold emblem on the bottom of the hilt. Was that a picture of a… jackal?

He didn't get a very long look, though, because she suddenly whirled the sword in her fingers, whipping it forward. He shied to the right, the blade skimming through the side of his outer shirt.

When her lips twitched into a smile, it brought all of his anger back to the surface, and he lashed at her wildly.

She ducked. She twisted. He was always inches short of hitting anything, and the more she evaded, the more his anger built. He knew letting her aggravate him was throwing off his attacks, making them less accurate, but her eyes inflamed him.

She was exactly like her son, cool and calculated. Every block and attack was perfectly executed with a delicate poise. Not a single technique was out of place while she fought, as if she was the first person ever to invent the style.

The only difference was that she failed to hide her emotions like Sesshoumaru. She laughed. She smiled. They were signs that she was enjoying this, maybe even drawing it out longer than she needed to. Perhaps this was all an act, a way of manipulating her opponent into falling into a trap. He wasn't sure.

What he did notice was that she kept drawing him in, dodging at the last second and then hitting his newly unguarded weak points. She never gave him more than a light bruise or a scratch, though. Inuyasha would hastily swing back, but she would already be irritably out of range.

She wasn't trying to kill him, just show him that she was in control. He wanted to claw her face out for it. He began to growl, resorting to snapping his fangs at her as she sailed past his face.

"That's it!" she taunted. "Don't you feel your blood boiling? Pounding in your ears?"

She stepped to the side and brought her sword up to deflect his downward blow. "We are demons. Fighting is our life, our survival."

This was ridiculous!

"Cut the crap and fight!" he shouted in her face.

Instantly, her eyes went from amused to dangerously cold. "Fine."

In one fluid motion, she knocked Tessiaga from his grip, took his wrist with her left hand, and slammed her right elbow into his ribs. The air was knocked out of him instantly, and he flew backwards. Unable to catch his balance or stop, Inuyasha's knees buckled, and brought him to the ground. He painfully gasped for breath several times, the air feeling like tacs going down his throat.

Sakura strode forward, a slight sway to her hips. Inuyasha frowned as she stopped in front of his Tessiaga, his reverted sword smoking. She casually dug her toes under the blade and kicked it up into her hands. She swung it a few times, testing its durability.

The sharp pain in his side pulled him to the ground, pressing his cheek into the dirt. She glanced at him, and then lazily ran a finger along the jagged edge of metal. "This is what you hide behind, this sword."

"I-I don't hide!" he coughed. "I can fight without it!"

"But you're afraid to," she insisted. "Even now I can see your fear. And it's all because you're afraid of transforming."

He didn't offer a reply as he glared at her.

"I understand." She began to laugh. "You're afraid of what you are, so you aid the people who slaughter us. That's why you betrayed your own father."

He inhaled deeply before hissing, "I would never betray him!"

"But you have!" she shouted. "As much as I hated your father, I can't believe you would shun what you are, and side with humans!"

"At least they don't try to kill me!" he snapped.

"They will!" she accused, stabbing the sword viciously into the ground. "The people that have come to your village will hunt down you and every demon in this region of the land."

"Because you attacked them!"

"No, because you are a demon, and to them that means you are the spawn of sin."

"You're spouting garbage!"

"Am I?" She pressed a single finger against her rosy lips. "You shall realize what I mean soon. I would guess no later then three days."

Grunting, Inuyasha pushed off the ground, bearing the pain as he stood. "Shut up! Shut up!"

"Well, if you don't want to listen anymore, then that's fine," she mumbled, sheathing her short sword in a scarab concealed beneath her kimono. "My time is up anyway, but one last thing, Inuyasha."

He hunched forward, determined not to let her escape. How could she think he would just let her waltz away? He hadn't even gotten a proper fight out of her!

She gave him an icy smile. "I know you need me."

Inuyasha scowled. "What?"

"You're afraid of transforming," she replied calmly. "You've lost control more than once, and that scares you more than anything else. Without your sword, you can't promise that you won't hurt anyone, especially your young miko friend."

'Kagome.' Inuyasha's gold eyes dropped to stare at Tessiaga's tall, proud length. Several of his nightmares were refreshed, and images of Kagome's broken body appeared in his thoughts. He could see the blood on his claws, their work scattered over the time traveler. The nightmares always brought back a wild sense of panic, and Inuyasha fought violently to keep it from overtaking him. He swallowed painfully, forcing the bloody image from his mind.

Sakura sneered triumphantly. She had him cornered perfectly, and he was utterly unaware! Skillfully, she moved in for the kill.

"I can change that," she stated simply, her eyes waiting patiently for the flinch.

There it came as Inuyasha snapped to attention, and the single word she wanted to hear was spoken. "How?"

Perfect.

Sakura turned, her back facing him. Pulling out the suspense, the demon mistress smiled over her shoulder. "All you need to know is that I have my own way of making your true demon blood surface. You would have all the strength your transformation could offer. You might still be as rash as when you fought before, but you would be in control. You wouldn't even suffer any memory loss."

As expected, his eyes narrowed in suspicion. "The catch?"

She grinned, revealing her pearl white fangs. "Fight for us until this holy war is over. Once it is, you're free."

Inuyasha froze, unable to think. His gold eyes couldn't move away from her waiting figure, and he tried to give a response he didn't have as she began to walk away.

"Whenever you're ready, Inuyasha, come to Bone Eater's well," she instructed. "You should know where that is. Be warned, however, that this offer only stands during the war."

The silence in his mind overcame the hanyou, and all sense of movement was lost to him. Her offer was exactly what he wanted. No, it was exactly what he needed, but he was afraid to reach out, thinking her extended hand would close on his if he moved to take her gift.

Even as rash as he was, Inuyasha was more than a little skeptical about making a deal with a devil,especially when he was confused about the terms. Whatever war he was ignorant of, he would rather bleed to death than fight against the people who had taken him in. "No deal."

Sakura never lost her grin. She could hear the hesitation in his voice as he weakly refused. "That's your first answer, but not your final."

Leaving those last words as her farewell, the mistress reared her head back and stretched her mouth open, taking a gulp of air. Inuyasha lifted his head as she belted out a howl that challenged even a wolf's call. The sound of her rumbling rang throughout the village's ears, demanding as a bugle.

Inuyasha watched in awe as the demons immediately washed their hands of the fight, abandoning their prey. Every monster darted over or between the houses, pulling out of the village as quickly as they had arrived. The only difference was that as they ran, they completely ignored the chance to attack.

[888]

Kagome foolishly lifted her eyes away from the Western Lord, obeying the mystical calling of the howl. She panted wearily, still breathing hard from casting her barrier, and watched as the flood of creatures flowed out of the village. 'It's over?'

Footsteps broke the magic for the young miko, bringing her back to her opponent. He was ignoring the call, walking towards her in a straight line. Warning bells went off in her head, but her hands did not go up to stop him.

"Is this why?" Kagome questioned, a confused look on her face. 'Is this why you gave her to me? To keep her out of the other demons' reach?'

Rin abruptly pushed out of the woman's grip and out of reach. "Lord Sesshoumaru?"

"Go back!" he snapped, freezing the little girl on the spot. His tone kept even the miko immobile. He stared at the child, waiting for her to move towards the priestess. "Go back!"

Tears filled Rin's eyes, and she called to him desperately. "But Sesshoumaru…"

"Go back!" he shouted even louder.

Kagome couldn't tear her eyes away from his golden ones. It was small, barely even a spark that she saw, but it was there. She could see it, beyond the wall that he hid behind, and she knew what it was, because she had seen that look countless times. Maybe he didn't show it in any other way, but she knew she was right. He loved Rin.

All because Sesshoumaru acted void of emotion, didn't mean that he actually was. He seemed as indifferent as a serial killer, but Kagome had faith that his heart wasn't just some organ pumping blood through his chest. However, she had never considered him someone capable of devotion, but there it was, right there in his eyes, burning in that small glimmer.

That tiny bit was enough to break him, and the miko would have bet on the last swell of her strength that he didn't even know how much this girl was changing him.

"Go back to her." His tone was still hard, but it was on a quieter level, almost soothing and calm.

Tears spilled over Rin's face as she took in a shuddering breath. "You still promise?"

He gave a slight nod.

Shakily, the child nodded in return, and slowly walked back to the miko and the fox demon. Kagome watched as she kept her head bowed, shamed for leaving her caretaker's protection.

Looking up, the miko caught the dog demon's cold gaze. He spoke only two words before he leapt into the air and disappeared on the other side of the house's roof. Kagome watched him go, his words lingering with her.

He seemed to say it out of necessity, maybe believing he owed her something for watching Rin. Could she go so far as to say that he cared about her well being, along with the child's? Either way, he had not said it to scare her, but to warn her that this battle was only the beginning. There would be more fighting.

"Watch yourself."

Kagome took a deep breath, and overlooked the street. The scene, though familiar from other fights, made her feel hollow. The bloody bodies scattered over the broken earth had faces she knew. She didn't want to look at them and remember who they were. Knowing that the corpse had been the child she had given a piggyback ride earlier was too torturous. It was hard enough staring at an upturned, destroyed road that she had known as the path home.

But the miko stubbornly locked her jaw, and went to pay her dues, making sure she kept Rin's eyes away from the gruesome scene. Staring at each lifeless face, Kagome silently spoke a prayer to guide the dead villagers' spirits, while also praying for the grief of the surviving families. Small green devils resembling frogs were scurrying around the dead, quickly pulling the souls out of the corpses and stuffing them into glass-like jars. Kagome's intestines twisted at each stop she made, watching the small demons run away with the white, burning flames of life, and it became even harder to step away in the end.

Yet, the young woman bore the entire morbid atmosphere almost like man, with only a few tears and a quivering chin.

After a short while, though, Kagome was jolted from her prayers. There were survivors that needed her help. Her priority was to handle the wounded, not lag around crying. Cursing under her breath, the time traveler grabbed hold of Rin's hand.

"Come on, Shippo!" the woman called over her shoulder. "Help me find Kaede."

If she was going to handle this many injured people, she was going to need help.

Still wrapped in his altered form, Shippo bounded forward at his mother's call. "Sure, Kagome."

He quickly shoved his nose into the air, nostrils flaring red. His ears twitched and he swiveled his neck, searching the air. After several unsuccessful minutes, the kit's brow pinched together in frustration. "This might be a little difficult. There's so much blood in the air that it's blocking out people's scents."

"That's okay," Kagome replied, already heading towards the front of the village. "I'm sure we'll find her eventually, but try your best, Shippo."

He nodded and trotted alongside of the time traveler and the little girl. "I think I smell her in this direction. Yes, I'm certain she's this way."

"Great," Kagome replied, beginning to run. People were waiting on her.

Avoiding the stray wanderers in the street, the time traveler surged forward, feeling out for the holy powers of her mentor. As her senses stretched out over the street, her chest began to strain and tighten, and her powers waned in the midst of her search. When her vision got fuzzy, the frustrated miko abandoned her mystic abilities. Even though she wished differently, Kagome would have to rely on her son to find her grandmother.

Running with his nose in the air, Shippo darted through the scattered people, sometimes sliding between legs to get by. Growing closer to the source, the bouncy fox sprinted ahead, barking excitedly. Kagome ground her teeth together as the little demon squeezed between the lines of wounded drifters and disappeared from sight. "SHIPPO!"

"Look out!"

Subsequently, the warning came at the same moment Kagome's foot collided with something loose. Rolling on contact with her sandal, the miko lost control as she launched into the air. Jostled out of balance, her arms shot out and caught a villager's shirt. Swung by her own momentum, Kagome's hand was wrenched from the shirt as her back crashed flat into another person's chest. "Oof!"

Dazed, the miko got up slowly. "Oh, I'm sorry for that. It was an accident."

"Kagome?" her weary sister questioned from underneath the time traveler. "Get off already!"

"Sango!" the miko exclaimed, clumsily helping the slayer stand. "I'm so sorry."

Finally back on her feet, the female fighter pushed aside the time traveler's dusting hands. "It's okay. I'm fine."

Kagome cocked an eyebrow at her sister's torn kimono and scratched up cheeks. "Sure about that?"

Her sibling gave her a cynical glare. "Peachy…"

"Yeah," a bloody Kohaku spoke up, smiling proudly. "That face dragon gave us quite a fight! I don't think we left a single scratch on him. His scales were thicker than armor!"

Kagome's eyes widened. 'That's right! Kohaku fought! But I thought Sango said he was too frightened of his own weapon to fight again…'

His childish grin grew as he favored his bleeding arm. "It was quite a rush!"

'A rush?!' She gaped. 'Are you joking?!'

He had gone from zero to a hundred in six minutes flat! The miko glanced over at the huntress and noticed her staring at her brother, a happy grin on her face.

Appearing at the two slayers' side as he dusted his robes off, Miroku smiled up at the miko. "Glad to see you made it, Kagome. That was quite a fight we had."

Sango nodded in agreement. "Every hit I made just bounced off the face dragon, like I was throwing rotten fruit at him!"

An evil gleam sparkled in the monk's eye. "Well, my dear Sango, we can't always win."

She growled threateningly at him for the stab at her pride. "Well, no one won! They ran only moments after we started fighting! If I had been given more time I would have brought him down. I'm sure of it!"

Kagome chuckled nervously. "I'm sure you'll get a second chance later, Sango. I have feeling they'll return, and soon."

The trio stared at the miko. "How so, Kagome?"

She waved her hand at the question. "Later. Right now I need to find Kaede. Have you seen her?"

They glanced at each other, unsure. Once the battle had started, everyone was separated and scattered. She could have been anywhere.

"Kagome, this way!" Shippo exclaimed suddenly, nose pointing further down the road. "I got her scent. She's not far."

"Good job, Shippo!" Kagome shouted as she grabbed Rin's hand and ran down the road. "Come on!"

Following the command, the slayers and the monk hurried after the time traveler. Worried about losing the kit again, Kagome followed close behind Shippo, the beaten-up caravan already coming into view, hinting that Kaede was close by.

Unknown to the miko, Shippo had slowed to a hesitant stop behind her, whimpering. A dim aura was glowing up ahead, pulsating ever other moment. Kagome sprinted, mentally reaching out for her teacher. 'Where are you, Kaede?'

Answering her question, the elder hobbled out from behind the remains of a demolished house. The miko's heart stopped beating when she saw her grandmother in a state of raggedy robes and clawed flesh. "KAEDE!"

Barely hearing her student's cry, the village elder carefully raised her gray head, revealing her naked, blind eye with a faded, cross-like mark/scar over it. Seeing the filmy white orb and purple scar for the first time, Kagome quickly covered her surprised gasp. "Kaede?"

The old priestess squinted her good eye. "K-Kagome?"

The time traveler stared grimly back at her, eyes following the trails of blood spilling from the elder's ears and nose. 'She probably fractured her skull.'

"K-K-Kagome…" the woman wavered, her kneels buckling the instant she held up her hand.

The young girl shot forward, leaving Rin behind as she caught her grandmother before she hit dirt. Tenderly, Kagome wiped the blood from her teacher's face. "Kaede, can you hear me?"

"Kagome," the priestess persisted as she struggled to rise, coughing up red as she did.

"Don't speak." Kagome wrapped her arms around the convulsing old woman. Tears filled her eyes as she saw the small demon soul-catchers scurrying in their direction. The miko hugged her mentor possessively. "Please, leave her! Do not take her from us!"

The little frog beasts chattered quietly, staying on the edge, away from the girl's arms. They pointed their bony fingers at the pair and began to circle, waiting. Kagome angrily began to throw stones. "Go away! Get out of here!"

The frogs dodged the aerial shower calmly and brought their circle closer. Kagome became frantic with sobs. "You can't have her. I won't let you!"

Unnoticed, the humans drew near, confused by the time traveler's words and her selfish clutching of the dying elder. The miko's crazed eyes and wild thrashing was beginning to send fear into their hearts. Unafraid, Sango hurried forward to wake her sister from her possession. "KAGOME!"

"No, Sango!" Miroku warned, grabbing her arm. "You must stay back."

"That is my sister!" she shouted passionately. "And Kaede is hurt! Let me go to them and cast aside whatever curse steals their minds!"

"It is no curse that ails them, Sango," the monk whispered as he pulled his love back. "This is the work of Catchers, demons that take the souls of the dead and bring them through the afterlife."

"You see them?" Kohaku gasped. "How?"

"Yes, how?!" Shippo exclaimed. "I can't even smell them."

Miroku shook his head. "I have heard only priestesses or priests can see them, but I sense them. Kagome is trying to keep them from stealing Kaede's spirit."

Sango thoughts sped up. "Kaede…is dying?"

He nodded sadly. "It appears so."

Shippo ears drooped. "He's right. I smell death on her."

"Then we should save her!" the huntress shouted, frantically flinging her body against her love's arm. "Let me go, Miroku! She's dying!"

He held her firmly behind his back, watching as Kagome hunched over the elder again. "It's too late for our help. If the Catchers are here, then Kaede is too far-gone already. Only Kagome has the chance to save her."

Sango finally gave up her feeble struggles, and stood in silent waiting, praying that they would not lose the woman they cherished.

Just when the slayer had surrendered the elder to Kagome's hands, Inuyasha stumbled forward from the opposite direction. Still in a daze from Sakura's offer, the hanyou didn't realize he was stepping in on crucial scene until his nose finally caught the old woman's blood. The scent turned his stomach, waking him from his half-aware state.

Kagome's tears, Kaede's blood, and the offending stench of death sent a freeze, which rivaled winter, through the hanyou's chest. 'No…'

Inuyasha automatically began to reel as his mind began to register. His nerves drained in seconds, leaving only a familiar hollowness in his chest. 'Not again! Not her!'

Kagome concentrated on keeping her breathing steady, letting her heartbeat mingle with her grandmother's. Eyes closed, she pressed her cheek against the gray crown, tears dripping off her nose.

"Please, stay with us, Kaede," the girl pleaded quietly, her voice strangled by sobs. "Don't leave us."

"Kagome," the elder called, her voice growing detached and distant. "Hear me, my dear."

Slowly, the time traveler opened her red eyes. Seeing the small demons watching nearby, the sniveling girl focused stubbornly on her teacher's dim eyes.

"Y-Yes," she forced out. "I hear you."

Kaede took in a shallow breath, and tried to find her student's face through the darkness. "You must listen to me. My life has been shortened, sooner than I had hoped, but there is still some time."

"Don't talk like that." Kagome hated to hear her gram give up. She wasn't dead yet! She could feel the woman's aura still pulsating, though dimming with each breath the old woman took.

Unable to see her grandchild, the weak elder lifted her wrinkled hand into the air. Sobbing harder, Kagome gently took the woman's hand and pressed it against her cheek. Her heart squeezed tighter as she realized the priestess's palm was freezing. Kaede dragged her fingers sluggishly over the young girl's face, tracing her jaw line, then towards her eyebrows, and ending at her button nose. Wheezing, the priestess returned her palm to the child's cheek, tenderly running her thumb across the high angles.

Kaede gave a strained smile. "Ye are young, Kagome. Ye will have many years, and I even believe ye will surpass my age, though with some difficulty."

The girl listened quietly, hanging on every word she spoke.

"My child, today my line ends, and yours begin. Take my place, and save these people. The east wind has grown sour with demon stench, and another battle will break in this hillside. I do not know why we were attacked, but I believe it has to do with the people who arrived shortly before. Speak with them, but be careful of their words. Never forget to trust yourself."

The time traveler nodded. "Yes, I'll remember."

Kaede sighed happily, sitting back to relax, but stiffening as she convulsed again, and spat up more blood. Disgusted, she wiped her mouth clean. "Don't ever give up, Kagome. Even when I was blinded years ago I did not lose hope, and look at where my life led me. I have lived a long and happy life, as shall ye. I know he will make ye happy."

Kagome blushed at the woman's hint. "Goodbye, Kaede. We all loved you."

The miko didn't feel her eyelids sliding shut. "And I loved all of you. Goodbye, Kagome."

With one last shuddering breath, Kaede let go of her life, and her hand dropped to the ground, limp. Kagome fell forward over her grandmother's body, as she sensed the last sparks of miko powers smothering.