InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Unravel ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Time to catch up and get back on track, so remember, I don't own Inuyasha, but everything else is mine! ~
 
 
 
 
Walk of Destiny
By angelwings1
Edited by Kelli G
 
 
Chapter 15 ~ Unravel
 
“I heard from the villagers that demons were migrating towards the east, and naturally, I thought of Lord Inuyasha,” Myouga stated loudly, jutting out his chest. Everyone stared sullenly at the tiny old flea, not one bit impressed with his story. Myouga's brow quickly gained sweat, and he added hastily, “I came to aid him as fast as I could.”
 
“You mean to gain his protection,” Sango grumbled from across the room. “You probably knew something big was coming, and that the only safe place would be behind Inuyasha.”
 
The flea glared up at the human distastefully. “I thought only of aiding my master.”
 
Rolling her eyes, Kagome handed another bowl of stew to one of the half a dozen wolves squished inside the small hut. Kind-hearted woman that she was, Kagome had immediately invited the wolves inside the village, offering to feed them and give them a safe night's rest within the barrier's confines. She didn't think it was right to leave them out in the cold, even if she did not know the other five wolf leaders as well as she did Kouga. She trusted Kouga's judgment of the demons, and since he seemed to regard her offer with an electric jolt of excitement, she was more than comfortable sharing her living space with the huge pack.
 
She did, however, request that the wolves stay to her hut alone, worried their presence would frighten the rest of the village. She didn't need any unnecessary panicking; they had had enough of that for one day. Unfortunately, having the wolves in the hut forced Rin to share her own space with them, and she refused to bear that with a strong smile. She had immediately bolted into the large bedroom where Kilala and Shippo were resting, and sat sobbing in the farthest corner from the door. Every so often, Kagome would hear a strangled cry Rin had been unable to keep silent. Sango was presently trying to coax the girl out of hiding, hoping Rin would realize that the wolves would not hurt her while she was in the slayer's presence.
 
Miroku pressed his chin wearily into his palm, narrowing his eyes. “What could you possibly know, Myouga, that would help Lord Inuyasha?”
 
The flea grinned weakly as he heard the exaggerated strain on `Lord.' Taking a moment to sample his tea, as if to convince them he was not uncomfortable under their many glares, the small demon replied, “I know everything about the war between the Blood Four and the humans. I can help with the strategy—”
 
“Against who?” Kagome interrupted quickly, a dark flash in her eyes. The air seemed to disappear from the room as the miko slowly stood up from the large pot she'd been stirring.
 
Myouga hastily tried to calm the woman's anger, remembering his master's prayer beads. “W-Why the demons—he...”
 
“We are not involved in this,” Kagome stated icily, a hair short of raising her voice. “Let them have their war if they want, but I won't bring the village into it.”
 
Myouga was suddenly unable to swallow. “I didn't mean to offend you, Lady Kagome,” the flea replied, a small waver in his voice. “I only meant that I thought I could help.”
 
The wolves had lifted their heads from their meals, and now watched the miko tensely. Kouga had claimed this woman was a friend and possible ally, but her reputation--and present anger--didn't seem much better than facing the Blood Four.
 
Miroku and Kohaku kept silent out of respect for Kagome's title. It was not their place to scold her, especially in front of the surrounding pack. Luckily, the fragile moment was broken by the miko's deep sigh. “Sorry, Myouga. I didn't mean to snap at you.”
 
“D-Don't worry about it,” the flea replied weakly, immensely glad that the danger had passed.
 
Ripping her fingers through her tangled hair, Kagome sat down, her body wavering with exhaustion. “It's been a bad day,” she mumbled apologetically, avoiding the dozens of eyes watching her. Before anyone else could speak, Sango walked in from the back room, carrying a trembling Rin in her arms. With a few soft growls, the wolves returned to their dinners, happy to ignore the circle once more.
 
With Rin hugging her around the neck, Sango struggled to settle back into her spot between Kagome and Miroku. Even if the girl was extremely small for her age, that didn't change the fact that she was too old to be carried around like a sack of potatoes. It took every fiber of muscle the huntress had just to cross the room with the trembling twelve-year-old. “What did I miss?” the huntress asked, smiling wearily as she reached for the bowl Kagome offered. “Anything important?”
 
“You have perfect timing,” Miroku assured her. “Myouga was just about to explain exactly what he knew that we didn't.”
 
Everyone turned back to the small flea, who was balancing precariously on one of the rings on Miroku's staff. Enjoying the newfound attention, Myouga grinned brightly. “That's right. I was just going to tell them that nearly a thousand demons are hiding out over at the Bone Eater's Well.”
 
One of the bowls clattered to the floor, dumping out its steaming contents. No one noticed.
 
“A th-thousand?!” Kouga gasped outright. “They were actually able to round up that many followers?”
 
Myouga nodded, his brow furrowing as he dropped his voice lower. “Lord Shiro had the easiest time recruiting followers. As the oldest of the Blood Four, he has ties to many generations and families. Lord Sesshoumaru and Lady Sakura seemed to have the most difficulty. Nearly all Sakura's allies left her after she killed her father to gain his power, and Sesshoumaru never had any real allies to speak of. He preferred to do his own dirty work, so he never bothered having disciples.”
 
“What about the other demon?” grunted the wolf leader with white, spiky hair. “Lady Aki had a great number of demons at her command, last I heard.”
 
“Certainly,” Myouga nodded, leaning back his head to drink from his tiny cup of herbal tea. “But when the priest killed Lady Aki, he also took down more than half the demons in her regions. Her children have barely a hundred followers, the smallest contribution to the Four's army.”
 
Kohaku eagerly leaned forward, the firelight sparkling in his dark eyes. “If Shiro's followers make up the majority of the army, wouldn't he have the most control?”
 
[888888888]
 
Sakura marched through the forest, hands clenching as her arms swung powerfully along her sides. She was seething.
 
If there could have been any other excuse...
 
But there was no other explanation, no reason. He had lied to her, manipulated her.
 
He was trying to overthrow her!
 
Breaking through the last of the shadowy glade, the demon woman charged into the moonlight and over to the stone well without slowing down. Several of the demons camping out on the ground rolled away, awakened by her anger, feeling the crisp heat of power blazing from her as she wound her way through their scattered groups. Many even leapt yards out of her path, eager to keep out of the way of her new pet. The huge demon dog happily snapped at their heels, thirsting for their fear.
 
Sakura kept her eyes directed pointedly towards the towering forms ahead, never looking back at the dog. Shiro didn't honor the woman with his attention; he kept his back to her as she approached, his red eyes staring ahead while his human eyes gave only a momentary glance backwards. Both cats swiveled their eyes to her, but they refused to move from where they lay, curled up alongside one another.
 
She didn't give a crap what they did. All she could see were her son's blank, golden eyes, staring at her as he stood directly in front of her. He might as well have been made of carved rock. A sharp pain pierced her left temple, and the air grew heavy with throbbing heat. With only a few yards separating the two, the white woman roared out her fury, and threw herself at him.
 
Sesshoumaru hastily stepped backwards, her claws just barely catching on the lip of his collar, tearing a long rip all the way down to his armored chest plate. Sakura easily kept up with him, never losing her speed, and came at him with her second set of singing claws, fully intending to take the life she had given birth to.
 
“Venomous snake!” she screeched in frustration, as he ducked out of reach and vaulted backwards, putting the square well between them. “You may have bitten my heel, but now I know you're poison!”
 
Shiro and the twin cats hungrily turned their attention to the two nobles, their wide eyes darting between them. Sesshoumaru took a tentative step back, eyes never leaving his angry mother.
 
Sakura's chest heaved against her heavy armor, her skin twitching with building energy. He was driving her into a frenzy. He would stand there, even still with that calculating silence, even when she knew his deception!
 
“That's right!” she hissed, slowly walking around the edge of the stone well. She didn't even glance at the cats as she brushed past them. “I know your secret.”
 
Shiro rallied behind the pearl-white woman, dancing back and forth like an angry cobra. His nostrils flared red, and his jaws snapped quietly. “What is going on?”
 
Sakura ignored the dragon lord, too wound up in her own affairs to care about answering. Cracking her knuckles, the woman feinted left and darted forward, robes unfurling and snapping behind her. With a slight bend to his knees and a push off from the ground, Sesshoumaru threw his body back, out of her range once more.
 
“Vile traitor!” she screeched, her voice even louder than before. “I should have bashed your head in when I gave birth to you, you spawn of a human-loving mongrel!”
 
“Do heirs cause you fear, Mother?” Sesshoumaru asked smoothly, standing rooted a few yards away from her. “Are you so quick to fly at your own child because you slew your own father for power?”
 
Aki reeled away from his sister, his growl thunderous to the crowd. “Stop this irritating noise, before I—”
 
“You stink of human!” Sakura finally shouted, overpowering the noble's wild voice.
 
Suddenly, Sesshoumaru stood at center stage.
 
Spent and out of breath, the mistress panted softly, “Your scent was all over that girl…”
 
He could have easily denied the accusation. Who would call him liar? His mother? The demons would eagerly fall on her before they ever laid teeth to him. He had been silent since the beginning, while she had raged and fought against the others every step of the way. The nobles were frustrated with her, and the small army of lesser demons feared her wild anger. They were all waiting and watching for the right opportunity to challenge her authority. All he had to do was point and accuse her of some vile betrayal, and the entire crowd would throw themselves upon her. Even if she was one of the great demonic powers, she could never hold out against an entire league of them.
 
Yet…
 
“Wouldn't my scent be on my human?” the lord replied easily, as if he were commenting on the weather.
 
Yet… Sesshoumaru was never one to avoid a fight.
 
Instantly, the entire hillside blared with roars of disgust and screams of dismay. The wild stamping of hundreds of massive feet pounded so hard against the brown earth, it seemed a small earthquake shook the ground. Even with the fear of the nobles that controlled their every thought and action, several of the lower beasts hopped forward with drooling snarls. Only when they landed did they realize what a mistake it would be to challenge the lord, no matter what atrocity he had committed. Growling still, they faded back into the pulsating mass of monsters.
 
Raising his massive head high enough to block out the quarter moon, Shiro glared down at the two dog demons. “What, exactly, is going on?!”
 
Sesshoumaru's muscles complained as he refused to move from his defensive position. One sudden move would immediately set her off again, and if that happened, he was certain one of the other nobles would jump in, as well. He couldn't afford a slip up, not while he was so dangerously close to having jaws come snapping down on his head.
 
Even as Shiro thundered her name, Sakura kept her eyes on her son, watching as his gold orbs darted between herself and the mob. Being in the middle of all this was probably not the best of ideas. She had to make it fast.
 
“So you don't deny it?” Sakura hissed, sliding her foot forward. “The little girl is your human?”
 
Sesshoumaru glanced at her, then at the other nobles, before answering with a simple “Yes.”
 
She waited until his eyes settled behind her before pushing her other foot forward, a few inches past the first. As his eyes came back to her, she asked, “What is she to you? A plaything?”
 
His face didn't change, but she didn't care.
 
“Who is she?” Sakura persisted, waiting for his gaze to move again. “Did you steal her for some perverse pleasure?”
 
He glanced at their tense audience again, and the space between them shortened another foot, just small enough for him to miss it. Sakura's ears twitched faintly, listening to the back curtain of shuffling feet. She couldn't forget about the hundreds of jaws behind her.
 
“No,” Sesshoumaru replied evenly, his muscles beginning to scream from the strain of remaining motionless.
 
Sakura slowly bent her knees, readying for his next glance. One more move would catch his eye.
 
Sakura spoke again, using a silky tone to lower his guard. “If it was just for fun, Sesshoumaru, then I'll understand. Don't be afraid to tell me the truth. I'm your mother.”
 
He glared back at her, his body becoming defiantly stiff. “I do not fear you.”
 
“Then tell me who she is,” Sakura said softly, her tone tempting, sugary. “You can tell me.”
 
A deep growl rumbled through the hypnotizing pause, reminding the pair that any second, thousands of teeth could tear through them. All she had to do was hold them off a few moments longer. “Is she your daughter?”
 
Her lips pulled into a tight grin as his body twitched slightly. That had caught him offguard. She had set him up perfectly: she was ready to pounce, and he had been carefully guided into a very dangerous corner. It would have worked, too, if he hadn't said the last thing she expected to hear.
 
“Yes.”
 
The hillside flew into another storm of furious howls. Sakura balked, her limbs locked. “W-What?”
 
Sesshoumaru ignored the bellowing sea of monsters as he repeated, “Yes. She is my daughter.”
 
[888888]
 
Kouga squinted against the rushing air as his long, dark hair flapped wildly. The wind was carrying the sound of angry roars from the forest. The nobles sounded unhappy.
 
The wolf demon snorted, pulling his face out of the blasting wind and turning in the direction of the village. He cursed in annoyance as his hair flew back into his face, tossing his bangs out of his eyes with a small growl. Looking past the village, he focused on the distant fields, outside of the barrier's purple sheer. He guessed there were at least ten thousand humans tromping out amongst the crops, three times the number the monk had estimated. Kouga frowned at the sight of the humans in white robes. `They must have sent word for more soldiers.'
 
Several more wagons pulled out of the distant line of trees, raising a cloud of dust behind them. Joyous cries erupted as the arriving train of wagons halted at the edge of the tents, and the camp suddenly became alive with activity.
 
A cold chill swept up Kouga's spine when he saw a single figure marching through the crowd, which reverently parted for him. Even from such a distance, the wolf leader could smell the immense power burning off of the man. His sharp features and hard smile made him look like a general readying for war.
 
Kouga snorted. `Stupid humans. Think they can run us out. They'll have to learn that they can never get rid of us.'
 
Yet his dark eyes lingered at the human's waist, where a small dagger bounced. The wolf growled quietly and swatted his tail. `It will come down to that one human in the end. Even if there are a million other priests and priestesses, he's the main problem. As long as that dagger remains in his hand…'
 
He didn't want to finish the thought.
 
“Kouga.”
 
Turning slightly, he looked over his shoulder and watched as three of the other wolf leaders approached. “What is it?”
 
Ty, a wolf with pepper-colored hair and blue eyes, walked at the front of their small procession. Kouga immediately straightened when he saw the dark look the other demon was giving him. Ty stomped forward and tossed back his wild mass of hair, reminding Kouga of an angry bull. His two followers, whom Kouga recognized as fresh commanders, didn't appear any happier as they came to a halt in front of him.
 
“You never said she was the one who killed Naraku!” Ty snapped, his blue eyes flashing like storm clouds.
 
Kouga leveled a dark glare of his own at the wolf. Ty had always been a pain.
 
“I told you she was a powerful priestess, who—”
 
“You've imprisoned us with our greatest danger!” Ty roared over him. “You swore to us we'd be safe in this stink hole, and there are vipers at our feet!”
 
Kouga merely looked at him. He would not explain himself to a pup three years his junior. He didn't care that the other two lackeys nodded along with Ty in agreement. They were just blowing off steam, and with the truce between the packs, Ty would never dare lay a hand on him with the others nearby.
 
Curling back his lips, Kouga clicked his fangs together and stepped forward. Blast it to hell!
 
“I would never have thought a mere human could intimidate a strong wolf demon such as yourself.”
 
Instantly the wolves stepped back, their eyes falling on the approaching monk. Though his voice had been swift to intervene, Miroku's feet were slow to reach them. Ty's companions eyed the holy man warily. It was no secret that the curse upon the monk's hand was cured, and demons no longer needed to fear his bottomless void. Still, the legends of its strength were hard to forget.
 
Ty, however, was unintimidated by the monk, and glared at him outright. “A wolf need not fear a human.”
 
Kouga's own glare took on a new level of darkness. “But he has reason to worry about vipers?”
 
Holding down the laughter bubbling in his throat, Miroku grinned brightly as Ty growled and half-lunged at Kouga. With a flick of his wrist, the monk's staff caught the wolf below the chin, jerking him backwards. Kouga sneered with satisfaction as the other wolf demon fought to push past the staff, Ty's lips curling back in disgust for the human.
 
With the staff jerking musically with each lunge, Miroku pushed the gold ring deeper into the demon's neck. “You really should learn to control yourself, Ty of the Black Forest pack.”
 
That remark nearly got the monk's ear clipped off. The only thing that saved it was Miroku shoving the length of his staff into the demon's mouth like a horse's metal bit. Before the monk could blink, though, he was on his back, barely keeping the wolf's teeth from his throat.
 
Even if he wasn't exactly close to the human, Kouga couldn't help, though his limbs were shaking with the need to rush forward. If he jumped in, Ty might claim he sided with a human against one of his own. That wouldn't get the elders to appreciate what he was doing here, or bring his pack into power, both of which he needed desperately.
 
Yet Kouga had known the scents of these humans better than those of the other wolf packs.
 
At one point, Ty's bullies sought to take their own place in the fight. Kouga barreled forward in an instant and blocked the way. The wolves scrambled backwards, hair raised and fangs chattering with their angry growls. Snarling, Kouga slammed his palm into the ground, tossing up a large cloud of dust as he lowered himself into a crouch.
 
“Back off, old man!” one of Ty's wolves snapped, dancing from side to side.
 
Kouga snapped at the wolf closest to him. “I'd watch your mouth if I were you!” he hissed, glaring at the one who'd dared to insult him. “You're supposed to respect your elders.”
 
With a wild roar, Kouga threw his weight forward. Everything was a blind rush of sweat and limbs as his arms tangled around the other wolf's waist. He didn't think as he shoved him backwards, but he knew what would happen. Sure enough, by the time the wolf's back hit ground, his friend was on Kouga, trying to tear him off. Luckily, the pair were too inexperienced to be a real threat to Kouga, and in a few quick twists, the two juniors were caught beneath his feet.
 
Kouga smirked as he pushed his heel deep into the larger one's neck. His other leg was pressed hard into the smaller wolf's ribs, locking his body under the weight. Hearing the scuffling in the background grow louder, Kouga whirled around. `Miroku!'
 
At first it appeared that the monk was holding his own, even with his staff lying abandoned at his side. But when Ty's fangs came dangerously close to taking a chunk out of Miroku's arm, Kouga jerked forward. He had to stop it. Even if went against the blood of his fathers, he couldn't let the monk come to any real harm.
 
But Kouga never had to intervene.
 
“Stop it!”
 
Miroku gave a small shudder at the cold touch of the wolf's fangs on his throat. His hand reached slowly for the staff at his side, but froze when Ty's teeth clamped tighter on his Adam's apple.
 
“Let him go!” Kagome shouted louder, jogging towards them.
 
Even if Ty wasn't afraid of Miroku, there was no chance he would stand up against this legendary woman. Ty jumped to his feet and scrambled away from the monk, who began coughing and gagging. Hell would freeze over before he'd admit it, but the wolf demon was obviously terrified of her.
 
Not bothering to tend to Miroku, Kagome marched straight over to Ty. Sensing the hot aura smoldering around the miko, Kouga carefully pulled away from the other wolves and studied her. He had never felt such power burning off of her before. Even when she had fought Naraku, just weeks ago, her energy had not been so thick and focused. In a few short weeks, Kagome had learned a great deal about harnessing her miko powers.
 
The other wolves could sense it, too, but unlike Kouga, they were not marveling at how well she was handling her powers. They were too busy worrying about how pissed she was!
 
Stepping in front of Miroku, Kagome crossed her arms and raised a brow dauntingly. “Is there a problem, Lord Ty?”
 
Taking a deep breath, the wolf's face twisted in disgust. “No,” Ty grumbled quietly, his eyes throwing daggers at Kouga and Miroku. “Just had a small disagreement.”
 
Kouga glared back, fangs white. Kagome kept her gaze on Ty, clearly not satisfied. “Then get back to your men. If there's another disagreement with anyone in my village, settle it with me first. Otherwise, you can leave this village, since being here disagrees with you so much.”
 
Ty hardly flinched at her words, but it was obvious she'd frightened him. “As you say, Lady Kagome." Whipping around, Ty quickly struck out for the hut, his followers racing to catch up with him.
 
Miroku rose slowly. “Thanks, Kagome. I was sure I had lost my neck to that brute.”
 
She nodded slightly, eyes staring after the retreating trio. “Just stay away from him, Miroku. We really aren't in a good position to be pissing these guys off.”
 
Miroku nodded, declining to comment that he had only been coming to Kouga's aid when Ty attacked.
 
Kagome glanced the two men over quickly, checking for injuries, before silently hurrying back to the house. Kouga's eyes followed her, his gut turning. Once she disappeared behind the paper door, Kouga turned to the monk. “She's been quiet lately.”
 
“What do you expect?” Miroku replied. “She's been through a lot in just a few weeks time.” He shrugged and headed towards the edge of the plateau, taking the spot Kouga had stood in before Ty had appeared.
 
Snorting, Kouga came up beside Miroku and shook his head. “No, I mean this stupid war. She won't talk about it.”
 
Miroku sighed deeply. “Because she can't do anything to stop it.”
 
“What's to stop?” Kouga replied, confused. “So the dumb humans are going to fight demons over power. Wars between humans and demons have been going on since the beginning of time.”
 
“But it never involved the people she loved before,” Miroku said quietly.
 
Kouga glanced at him for a moment, then looked off to the forest that shivered with distant roars. “I'm sure that mutt will be back.”
 
The golden rings of his staff jingled softly as Miroku turned to Kouga in surprise. With a soft glance towards the hut, Kouga grinned weakly. “He's like a dumb plague that never quits.”
 
Bowing to the monk with respect, Kouga left to return to his pack. They would be grumbling with boredom by now, he knew. Miroku frowned, wondering after the wolf. `Did he just admit that he knows she loves Inuyasha?'
 
 
[8888]
 
 
The setting sun's fire seeped into the room from the open window, warming the humble hut with a golden sheen. Kagome could faintly hear the wolves bustling in the other room, and Sango scolding them for their mess. Outside, Kohaku and Rin were helping Kilala and Shippo burn off some energy with a healthy game of tag. Listening to their excited squeals, Kagome wondered if Miroku was still tending to the barrier every hour.
 
Kagome sullenly returned to her scrolls. She was supposed to be reading through the history of demons, but her eyes kept sneaking peeks at the creased photograph that she'd discarded carelessly on the floor.
 
Inhaling deeply, she shook her head and reread the last sentence.
 
`Blood Four… demon number halved… priestess… birth of the Shikon Jewel…'
 
Kagome stared down at the picture again. In it, she was ruffling Souta's hair while he tried to shake her off. Behind them, their mom was grinning brightly while tugging playfully at one of Inuyasha's ears. The boys had mirroring faces of disgust.
 
Her fingers trembled as she lifted the picture to her face, her eyes blurry with tears. It was one of the few photographs she had kept in her backpack when she last traveled between times. Inuyasha's face was so funny in this picture. His lips were twisted in a grimace and his eyebrows were pinched, but she could see a tiny upwards turn in his scowl and a twinkle in his eyes one could easily overlook.
 
By the time she had pressed the photo to her bosom, she was hunched over, sobbing.
 
`I can't go. I can't leave the village.'
 
She sniffed softly and pushed back her bangs. `Besides, if I go, I'll be helping Rashu do something I don't believe in, and fighting against everything you believe in.'
 
Her eyes drifted to the rugged sword sitting in the corner. `You never would have hesitated to come after me.'
 
[888888]
 
Rashu leaned heavily on his palms as he looked over the scrolls of ancient text in front of him. The last few days had been full of new arrivals and bustling preparation for battle. Every day he held a sermon to inspire the hundreds of waiting crusaders, and recently, his scouts had discovered the demons' gathering spot.
 
Yet, he waited.
 
He would do nothing until the famed priestess joined his holy army. Without her, his crusade would appear to be a selfish thirst for demon blood. If anyone heard that the priestess had refused to help because she didn't believe in their cause, then he would lose his army, his power...everything.
 
Already rumors had started, and he had heard threats of desertion. Most of the new arrivals had come because they had heard the miko that killed Naraku was joining his side.
 
Every day he sent his private messenger to the village's barrier and shouted to see the priestess. Every day the villagers shouted back curses and angry words, refusing to even seek out their lady.
 
His wrinkled hand swept over his face wearily. If he waited much longer before sending out his army, he would start losing his people's faith.
 
“What do I do?” he whispered to the silent white room and flickering lanterns.
 
Rashu jerked up as the flap of his tent flew open and his messenger marched in. The priest nodded at the boy's bow. “Yes, what is it?”
 
The young boy straightened. “There is a visitor here to speak with you, milord.”
 
Rashu nodded sharply. `What now?'
 
The boy quickly raced out of the tent, and another young person strode in. Rashu stiffened, disbelief in his eyes at the figure standing in the doorway. “Lady Kagome?”