InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Hurts The Most ❯ Out Of The Well And Into The Hut ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sango sat quietly against a wall in Lady Kaede's hut watching Koga stare into the flickering flames of a tiny fire burning in the middle of the hut. Koga suddenly sat up straight and alert, alarming Sango who sat up almost immediately after Koga.
"The monk and your cat have returned," he remarked arrogantly. Sango nodded in relief and reclined back against the wooden wall, watching the doorway for any signs of Miroku and Kirara. She heard a pair feet make contact with the ground and soon a small, black and white, two-tailed cat slinked into the hut with a tall and handsome ebony-haired monk following behind. The monk looked at Sango with gratitude in his cobalt eyes.
"Thanks for that," he said quietly.
"It was well deserved. Seems like you three were busy during your absence," she replied softly, tilting her head in the direction of a snoozing redheaded kitsune.
"We barely ever stopped to rest. We searched almost everywhere for the tetsaiga, and had a few run ins with some low class demons. Shippo never complained once, but I think he is missing Lady Kagome."
"Well he wont be missing her for long," interjected Koga sniffing the air. "Apparently it didn't take her much time to mourn the death of that mutt. But, there's another scent with her. She's brought a friend."
Sango leapt swiftly to her feet and rushed out the door to greet Kagome. She spotted a pair sauntering toward the hut. Surprise filled her dark chestnut eyes as they fell on the man with Kagome.
"Inuyasha?" she whispered. No, it couldn't be. He was dead, and this man was definitely human. She checked the tranquil night sky for the moon. A silvery sliver of a crescent hung in the sky overhead. It wasn't the new moon. This man couldn't be Inuyasha.
"The man is not Inuyasha," Koga informed quietly. "His scent is different from that half breed's. In fact, that man is human."
"Would you quit insulting the dead," Sango scolded. "And I don't want to hear any more remarks about half breeds. If Kagome is 'your woman' what will your children be? Or have you not noticed that Kagome is human too?"
Koga snorted. "Clearly you've realized that she is a more worthy mate than any demoness. Any children we sire will be too powerful to be known as half breeds."
"I seem to remember Inuyasha being too much for you to handle," Miroku chuckled.
"Yet he allowed a piece of clay to end his life," snarled Koga. "And during our fight, he needed his sword to protect himself against me. I seem to remember being unarmed myself. But, believe what you want."
"Enough of your banter," Lady Kaede reprimanded.
"Yeah unarmed," muttered Sango. "With two jewel shards in your legs, I doubt you'd need to be armed."
"I said enough." Kaede repeated through gritted teeth.
Inside the cozy hut Shippo sat up sleepily. Rubbing his eyes, he looked around the hut and realized that it was empty. He slowly rose to his tiny feet and stumbled out the door.
"KAGOME!!!" he screeched bounding over to the young girl trekking toward the group of people standing outside the hut. As soon as he reached the giggling young girl, he leapt into her arms and locked his own arms in a tight hug around her neck.
"Shippo," laughed Kagome, "shouldn't you be in bed?"
"I would be, but Sango, Miroku and Koga were arguing loudly and woke me up," he whined. The smile faded from Kagome's face.
"Koga's here?" she asked worriedly. Shippo nodded. "Why?"
"He wants to claim his 'woman'," Shippo sighed, rolling his emerald eyes.
"Oh great," Kagome mumbled.
"Um.. Who's Koga?" Ian implored quietly.
"A wolf demon that has decided that I'm to be his mate," she replied in embarrassment. "I should've known he'd come for me as soon as he heard that Inuyasha had gone with Kikyo."
"Went with Kikyo? To where? Who's Kikyo?" The questions flooded from Ian's mouth before he could stop them.
"Kikyo is a dead priestess. I am her reicarnation. Inuyasha and her were in love a long time ago. She was resurrected by Urasue, a witch who wanted jewel shards, after I came to the Feudal Era, and... Oh my god never mind... I'll finish telling you later... In short, you are the reincarnation of Inuyasha, and I'm Kikyo's."
Ian looked at her questioningly but didn't press her for further answers. He didn't understand why this was so hard on her, but the pieces of the puzzle were starting to fall into place. He looked ahead to the hut they were walking to. Outside were six people, and a tiny cat. He recognized two of the people and the cat from Kagome's drawings, but the other four were unfamiliar. He decided that the male figure standing haughtily in front of the two odd looking men behind him was Koga. He had no idea who the men behind him were, nor did he recognize the old lady.
'She must be Kaede,' he reasoned silently
"So Kagome," Koga asked, "who's your friend?"
"Everyone, this is Ian. I think he is Inuyasha's reincarnation," Kagome confessed. Everyone's eyed widened except for Koga's and Kaede's. She introduced Ian to everyone quietly.
"Well, I think it's time for bed. Too much has happened to us today, and it will do us all some good if we get some rest. Tomorrow, questions can be asked and explanations can be made. Until then, good night to ye all," Kaede announced. Kagome looked at her gratefully and Kaede winked slyly at her with a smile. They all crowded into the small hut and soon everyone was sound asleep.