InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Hurts The Most ❯ Surprise Surprise ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: All right, I know this has taken me forever and a day to get up and I'm sorry.. I'm suffering from writer's block in the worst way. Plus I'm having internet issues and, believe or not, time issues. But, on a slightly better note, I haven't forgotten you guys. I'm doing my best so please bear with me. And thanks so much for all reviews! They are very much appreciated!

A small ebony spider struggled to climb over the rough bricks of the ivy-covered stone that made up the bone-eater's well. Kagome watched the spider's arduous journey. Everytime it mastered one brick, it would fall another two making its trek to its destination even longer. Kagome often felt like this spider.
Ian stood next to Kagome, silently watching her stare at the arachnid. Then, without a word, he moved forward to the well, scooped the spider into his hand gingerly, and placed it in a small, web-filled crevice between two bricks.
"There ya go little guy," he said softly. Kagome gazed at him in wonder and admiration. Although she really had no taste for spiders, she had been able to sympathize with the creature, and she thought it very kind of Ian to help. Ian looked back at her and smiled warmly, his deep brown eyes twinkling. She couldn't help but return a shy smile. He seemed so cheerful. It was a quality she had wished Inuyasha had.
"Are you ready to leave then," he inquired, the cheer leaving his face. She gave him a questioning look and nodded while wondering why he was acting like he wanted to stay now, when he hadn't been keen on being there in the first place. Soon purple light filled the air, and the pair vanished from the Feudal Era.
Ian hoisted himself out of the ancient well and offered a hand to Kagome. She accepted it gratefully and he struggled to help her out of the well. His hands felt so different from those that lifted her out of the well many times before. Those rough and calloused hands were replaced by soft, effeminate hands. The strong grip she was used to was no more, and now a loose and weak grip threatened to drop her. Relief washed over her as soon as she was outside of the well and standing on the firm ground.
They entered her house through sliding the glass doors and viewed their civilized surroundings. The house was dark and no one appeared to be at home. She handed Ian the telephone.
"Would you like to call home?" she implored. He nodded unsurely and took the phone from her hand. Ian thought a second, then dialed a number. The phone rang and rang, but there was no answer.
"They.. uh.. They must be.. Out looking for me," he reasoned unassuredly. Kagome looked at the clock. It was still early in the morning and a Wednesday for that matter. They were supposed to be at school. She thought a second thrn ran to her room and grabbed some money.
"Guess we're taking the bus to your house," she said.
"W..We? Kagome, its all right. I.. I can explain it to them. You don't need to come along. It's really okay."
"Are they likely to believe you? Come on Ian, we can figure something out on our way to your house," she replied haughtily.
"Well, all right, I guess," he answered disconsolately. They walked the short distance to the bus stop and waited patiently for the bus. After awhile, a large grey bus pulled up to the sidewalk. Happy to get out of the chilly autumn cold, the pair climbed aboard, paid the driver, and took a seat in the back of the bus. Kagome, who was seated by the window, stared dreamily out at the passing scenery lost in her thoughts about the previous night. Ian fidgeted nervously with a button on his uniform and remained silent as well. Finally they arrived at their destination.
They were in a neighborhood filled with large, expensive-looking houses with nice cars parked out in front of them. Kagome looked at the area incredulously.
"You live here?" she inquired slightly awed. Ian nodded shyly. "Oh, wow."
"Come on, its this way," he said quietly. They walked down the sidewalk until they reached the last house on the block. It was a splendid Victorian style house that seemed almost castle-like. The exterior was painted a crisp white with navy blue trim, and it had a huge wraparound porch that matched the white exterior of the house. Ian opened the gate of a low stone fence and motioned for Kagome to follow him. She did so meekly.
"It's so big," she whispered intimidated. Ian just shrugged. They entered the house in silence. Ian slipped off his shoes and Kagome followed suit as she gazed at the front room of the house. It was a large sitting room with wooden floors and creme colored walls. The furniture matched the pale color of the walls.
"Anyone home?" Ian yelled. Suddenly a older woman with mussed hair and soap suds covering her arms up the the elbow appeared out of nowhere.
"Ian where on earth have you been?" she demanded. "I've been worried sick about you!"
Out of nowhere a very large and soapy dog ran into the room and jumped on top of Ian knocking him flat on the ground.
"Spot, get off of me!" Ian shouted through laughter as the dog tried to lick his face.
"Oh, if Mr. and Mrs. Rollins were here they'd have me fired for this," the lady groaned unhappily.
"They're not home?" Ian asked rising to his feet. "Where'd they go?"
"You're father left on business the morning right after you left for school, and your mother that afternoon for god knows where," she replied.
"Oh, I see," he said looking crestfallen.
"Who's your friend Ian? And where on earth have you been?"
"Oh, Kagome, I'm sorry I almost forgot you were there," he apologized. "Kagome this Eliza, our housekeeper, Eliza this is Kagome Higurashi, a friend from school. And that," he said pointing to the large canine, "is Spot."