InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Hurts The Most ❯ Back In Our Era ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagome and Ian sat in a lavish dining room sipping steaming tea from small stoneware teacups. A million thoughts were running through Kagome's mind as she stared at the liquid inside of her cup. To the contrary, Ian was consumed with one thought."So now you know my reason for asking you not to come along with me," he said quietly. She looked up at him bemusedly."You didn't want me to know your parents made a lot of money? That hardly seems like something to be concerned about," Kagome replied confusedly."Its.. Its not that," he muttered disconsolately."Then what is it?" she inquired concernedly. She didn't understand what he was getting at."Nothing... Just forget it. So, will we go back to Feudal Era soon?" he asked hopefully."Don't you want to wait for your parents to come home and find out if it's all right?" she queried setting an empty teacup down on the wooden table."They wont care. They never have, and they never will," he answered her angrily. He was inwardly chiding himself for thinking they cared. Kagome suddenly realized what was bothering Ian so much."That's why you didn't want me here," she said sympathetically. She couldn't imagine having a family that didn't care about her. It was so unfair that someone as nice as Ian had to suffer because his parents were neglectful."Well, there's a bit of good that comes from it," he stated brightly. "I can go to the Feudal Era with you whenever I want to.""What's all this talk about the Feudal Era?" Eliza inquired politely, entering the dining room."Oh nothing," Ian replied. Eliza raised her grey eyebrows in disbelief."Really?" she remarked sarcastically her merry blue eyes twinkling. "You should know that I know you better than that Ian.""You wouldn't believe me if I told you," he asserted nonchalantly."Try me," she retorted."Well, Kagome and I just came back from the Feudal Era. She is the reincarnation of a great priestess named Kikyo and I am the reincarnation of a hanyou named Inuyasha. They share a common enemy, Naraku, who caused them to believe one betrayed by the other. Our goal is to defeat Naraku and piece the sacred Shikon jewel back together. This jewel allows us to travel between eras through the Bone-Eater's Well. And.. That's about all I know," Ian elucidated watching the maid's jaw drop."You're right. I don't believe you," Eliza stated quietly looking at him as though he were ill. She looked pleadingly at Kagome. "Please tell me he's bumped his head.""Well he might have," Kagome answered thoughtfully, "but he isn't delusional.""You really expect me to believe all this?" "No, I did say you wouldn't believe me," he reiterated. "But I will probably be gone often whether you believe me or not. Will you do me a favor and cover for me please Eliza?"Kagome noticed that Ian was different from how he had been in the Feudal Era. He was more determined and assertive, and less worried and unsure."Well that depends. You aren't doing anything bad right?" she inquired worriedly."No, we're not. What we're doing is kinda important though," Ian replied honestly."Fine.. I'll cover for you. But you better not be lying to me." Eliza said in answer ending the conversation and leaving the room with their dirty dishes.'At least he's got someone that cares for him,' Kagome thought to herself watching the maid go."Well now that that's out of the way," Ian sighed."So you do want to go back then?" Kagome inquired hopefully."Yes, I'll go back. If you want me to," he replied."I'd like it if you continued traveling with my friends and I. But, I understand if you don't want to," she remarked."You know, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back, but I think I'd like to, for a little while at least," he said quietly.