InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What If? ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hi All!
 
 
Here's the third chap. Lemme know what you think….
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
What If?
Chapter 3
 
 
The next morning, Kagome and Inuyasha were on the move again, heading back to Kaede's village. “Miroku and Sango said they'd be back in about a week or so, right?” asked Inuyasha.
 
 
“Yeah,” said Kagome. “That sounds about right. Sango needed to repair her Hiraikotsu, and Miroku's staff wasn't looking the best, so they took a trip to Sango's village to do some repairs. Shippou volunteered to go with them to help keep Miroku in line. They also said they'd meet us at Kaede's village when they're done. So, for the next 5 days or so, it's just the two of us again!”
 
 
“Oh,” said Inuyasha, not really paying much attention to that last bit. “If we keep up our pace, we should be at Kaede's by sundown.”
 
 
“Sundown?” repeated Kagome, turning her head to look at him. “That reminds me, Inuyasha. I need to go back home to my era for a couple of days.”
 
 
Inuyasha, none too pleased about this, stopped in his tracks and hollered, “What? Why? No, wait, don't tell me - it's another `test'!”
 
 
I knew he would respond like this, thought Kagome, then speaking out loud, a touch hotter than she meant to. “For your information, it is. If I go home as soon as we get to the well, I promise I'll be back by sundown the day after tomorrow.”
 
 
Inuyasha seemed to deflate slightly, perhaps out of resignation to the fact that she'd go home whether he let her or not, or perhaps it was out of fear of hearing the one word he dreaded more than all others - `OSUWARI!'
 
 
“Well, okay,” he consented, “But if you're not back by sundown, I'm comin' to get you.”
 
 
“Deal,” said Kagome, then both of them fell silent during the rest of the walk to Kaede's.
 
 
They did indeed make it to Kaede's by sundown. Kagome gathered all of her stuff, and after saying a quick good-bye to Inuyasha - whose response was a half-hearted `Feh' - she jumped down the well. She got home, hauled her enormous yellow backpack out of the well, then went upstairs and set to work studying for the test.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
 
 
Kagome's alarm clock went off way too early, at least as far as she was concerned. Oh, not only was I up late last night, but I had that same stinkin' dream again, she thought, going through her routine to get ready for school. I hope those dreams stop soon. I need SLEEP!
 
 
Once at school, however, she was able to push her tiredness and worries to the back of her mind for a while in order to concentrate on the material she had studied the night before and got through the test without too much trouble.
 
 
She was able to get through the day, and when school let out, she went home and started to work around the house - doing laundry, making snacks for everyone in the feudal era, restocking her first-aid supplies, etc., etc.
 
 
While she was folding the last batch of clean clothes, her mom came in to see if she needed any help. “Oh, no thanks, mom,” said Kagome, yawning a bit, “This is the last load.”
 
 
“You sound tired, Kagome,” said her mom. “That's probably because I am,” replied Kagome, smiling. “Hey mom, can I ask you a question?”
 
 
“Sure, sweetie, anytime,” said her mom, sitting down on the couch beside Kagome.
 
 
“Well, have you ever had a dream that just would stop? I mean, kept coming for a couple of weeks?”
 
 
After thinking for a second, her mom answered. “Two, I think.”
 
 
“Did either of them come true?” asked Kagome, still folding the clothes. “One did. In that one, I was marring your father,” her mother explained. “I had that one every night for at least a week. Anyway, the day I stopped having it was the day your father asked me to marry him. The second never did become real.”
 
 
Kagome folded the last shirt and, standing up, put it in the basket. “Thanks, mom. I think I'll go put these away and get to bed. Maybe if I get to bed a little earlier, it'll help. `Night, mom.”
 
 
“Good night, Kagome,” said her mom. Kagome went upstairs, put the clothes away, sat down on her bed, and was asleep before her head hit the pillow.
 
 
When she woke up the next morning, something felt weird. Kagome couldn't figure out what it was until she got to school. She hadn't had that dream last night!
 
 
That realization put her a little on edge. She couldn't concentrate and one of her friends had to tell her that she got a 95 on her test, which was the highest grade she'd gotten in a long while.
 
 
After school, Kagome and her friends went to their favorite fast-food place for a celebratory dessert. Once they had chosen seats and started to eat, Yuka spoke up. “Hey, Kagome, are you okay? You've been acting more distracted than usual today.”
 
 
“Huh? Oh,” said Kagome, a little startled, for her mind had been 500 years in the past. “I'm alright. Just a lack of sleep.” “Are you sure that's all, Kagome?” asked Ayumi.
 
Kagome looked down at her hot-fudge sundae and said slowly, “No, I guess that's not all. I'm worried about a friend. There's this guy that really, really, doesn't like him and I'm afraid he's gonna get himself killed if the other guy comes after him.”
 
 
“Oh,” said Eri. “I guess you can't convince your friend to stay hidden `til the other guy cools off a bit, can you?”
 
 
Kagome laughed a bit, then said, “Hah! It'd be easier to keep the sun from shining than to keep him in hiding.” She looked at her watch and realized she only had about 2