InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What If? ❯ To Tell a Story, Start at the Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

Now, I really don't care to flaunt personal opinions, especially to others who really care about their own, but, just to clear the air, I am a HUGE Inu/Kag shipper.

HOWEVER, this plot bunny just jumped into my mind and I can't get rid of it, no matter how I try to think, "But Sesshomaru and Kagome had NOTHING going on. This is stupid!"

So, I decided to post my idea here (EVEN THOUGH I really should be working on my other stories), and see if any others liked it, could give me feedback on it, and so on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
What if Kagome hadn't been from the future?

What if Kagome was really from the past, long before Izayoi and Inu no Taisho conceived Inuyasha, before Miroku and Sango's grandparents were even born?

What if Kagome lied?

Kagome has always been a happy-go-lucky teenage girl from the future that tags along with Inuyasha and their friends in their quest to defeat Naraku and rid the world of the Jewel.

She's incredibly powerful under her seemingly naive exterior, but she almost never brings that power to the surface.

And that's all anyone really knows about her.

Except one man—one daiyoukai.

This is their story.
---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
Inu no Taisho was not a stupid man.

Nor was he blind to the faults of his friends. But this. He just couldn't have expected something like this to happen.

His best friend, Ryuujin, was a wise and just god. He valued his worshipers and made a point to listen to their prayers every night. He did not take advantage of his power and affluence, the way Inu no Taisho had seen happen with many other gods. He did not force himself on women that took his fancy and then abandon them after he had satisfied himself.

No, Ryuujin was smarter, kinder than that. If he took a liking to a woman, he courted her first. Politely, monogamously, publicly courted her, so that all could see his intentions—so that the woman could have some sort of defense should people doubt her word.

After he was finished with a woman, he made certain that she lived her life the way she wanted, giving her whatever means necessary to accomplish that. If she wanted to be married, he would make it happen. If she wanted to be rich and autonomous, he had a palace built for her and coffers that would never deplete in her lifetime.

But should the women he pursued have a child—that was the only time he put his foot down. He calmly, but unquestioningly, informed his women that any child born to him would live with him in Ryuuguujou, his palace under the sea. It was a contract of sorts, and all his women agreed to it. Blindly, Inu no Taisho would think. For how could anyone willingly sign away rights to their child, unless they had none at the time?

Clearly, one of his women had fallen into that trap and had come out realizing her stupidity.

For at his feet, washed up on the shore of an otherwise pristine beach, lay two figures. A exhausted, grey lady, and her mewling infant.

His eyes skipped over the woman with pity, knowing that she was already dead. The sea god's servants had most likely done everything they could to stop her taking away their lord's child.

The molten eyes landed and rested on the baby. It was strange to him, this child. Even though it had probably been lying there for many hours without care, it didn't cry outright. Instead, it made a pitiful whining sound, much like a newborn puppy seeking its mother's nipples but being unable to move.

Bending down, he swiped the mother's arm of the child's body. No doubt that was what the baby was trying to complain about. The dead weight would have been too much for it.

As soon as the arm had been removed, the baby snapped its eyes opened and looked at the great dog demon.

It wasn't the passing glance of an infant exploring its surroundings. It was the look of a sentient creature, someone who understood exactly what it was seeing, and sought to analyze it.

It was unsettling, to say the least—and yet, there in the grey-blue eyes of this child, Inu no Taisho saw someone else. Someone who had judged him in exactly this way on the day of his birth: the dog lord's own young son, Sesshoumaru.

It was immediately apparent that whatever this strange infant saw in Inu no Taisho, it liked. It let out a happy giggle that soon dissolved into a gurgle, and lifted its pudgy arms to be held.

Inu no Taisho didn't want to touch the baby, lest other demons in the area mistake it for his own child and seek to kill it out of spite. The dog lord had many enemies who would be more than happy to do just that.

But he couldn't just leave this baby here. Especially not if it was the child of one of his dearest friends. At the same time, he didn't want to return the infant to its father. He wanted to watch this child, get to know it as it grew. There was something about this particular baby that he just couldn't figure out, and it kept him fascinated.

No, he decided, he wouldn't take it back. So instead he drew his sword and created an enormous explosion, one that would be seen from miles away, but one that did not harm anyone unnecessarily.

He heard the shrine located not far off start buzzing with activity and knew that some priests or their daughters would soon be here to inspect the damage and ascertain its cause.

Satisfied that the child would be well looked-after—and in a place where he could easily check up on it—Inu no Taisho fled the area and returned home to his wife and young son, his thoughts still churning over the blue-eyed child.

Converting /tmp/phpjE1P3D to /dev/stdout