InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When I Close My Eyes ❯ Missing Life ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2-Missing Life
 
She woke up in a dark place with Buyo pawing at her arm; she didn't know where she was until she looked up. Noticing the wooden beams of the ceiling, Kagome realized that she was in the well house; probably fell down the well. That was right, Sota was looking for Buyo and she'd offered to help, the cat wasn't in the sealed well though. Exactly how had she fallen down?
Sota-Kagome?
 
Her little brother peered over the side of the well to see his sister looking at him with a questioning expression while Buyo was licking his paw.
 
Kagome-Sota!
 
Sota-Hurry and climb up Kagome or you'll be late for school.
 
Kagome-I'm coming, geez.
 
With Buyo in hand she slowly climbed up the well with more ease than she had imagined. As she neared the top she handed Buyo to Sota and climbed out and sat on the edge of it for a moment.
 
Kagome-Sota how did I fall in the well?
 
Sota-What do you mean?
 
Kagome-How did I fall in? I mean I don't remember just falling to the bottom.
 
Sota-You opened up the sealed sides of the well to see if Buyo was there when he crept up behind you and you were holding him when you began backing up to the well and fell down.
 
Kagome-Huh, well maybe it was because of the fall that I don't remember.
 
`But then why don't I have any injuries from the fall, not a bump on the head, a bruise or even a scratch? It doesn't make any sense.' Thought Kagome.
 
Sota-Kagome, are you okay?
 
Kagome-Huh? Oh um just wondering, I'm fine, but I guess I should be getting to school then. Later Sota!
 
Sota-Don't forget to come straight home today for your birthday!
Kagome-I won't!
 
`My birthday? Oh that's right…my fifteenth birthday. How could I forget about that?'
 
She quickly ran out the door of the little hut and past her house, and down the steps of the Higurashi Shrine. Walking at a quick pace to try to get to school on time. Her friends noticed her and ran down to catch up with the troubled girl.
 
Yuka-Hey Kagome!
 
Kagome-Oh hey Yuka, Eri, Ayumi.
 
Eri-So did you study for that history test at all last night Higurashi?
Kagome-Yeah, but man this feudal era thing is seriously bringing down my grade.
 
Ayumi-What are you talking about Kagome? You are one of the only people who gets everything in that class.
 
Kagome-Yeah but I just can't focus on the Feudal Era, it just I don't know, I just don't get it sometimes.
 
Yuka-You know who gets it? Kisho.
 
Eri-That's his favorite class, as if he isn't smart enough already.
 
“Kagome!” called a voice in the distance. Hojo was walking toward the group of girls and they stopped to wait for him momentarily as he approached them.
 
Kagome-Hey Hojo, studying go well last night?
 
Hojo-It was okay, but this stuff in History is hard.
 
Yuka-You're telling us.
Ayumi-Even Kagome doesn't get it.
 
Hojo-Are you having trouble too Kagome?
 
Kagome-Er- well yeah, you're right it is tough.
 
“It's not that tough now is it?” replied a smug voice from behind the group. They stopped and turned around to look at from where the reply had come from. None other than Kisho Taisho had called out to the group. He approached them slowly with an overconfident look in his eyes, hands in the pockets of his uniform pants and fiercely chewing a stick of gum in the process. Kisho sauntered over to the five youth and kept his eyes intently on Kagome, something about her just seemed different from everyone else, he didn't know what but she was just…different. Kagome on the other hand found the boy to be somewhat standoffish and completely outspoken, if anyone else were that way it would bother her, but he didn't…it seemed strange to her. Then there was always the fact that Kisho and his elder brothers were all the owners of the Taisho Corporation, though he still had to graduate high school to officially be running a fraction of the company.
 
Yuka-What are you talking about? Of course it's that tough!
 
Eri-You're the genius, like we can compare to the great Kisho.
 
Her tone slightly sarcastic, Kisho still took it as a compliment and laughed at the girl's remark. The bell rang and without uttering a word the six of them ran towards the school and through the doors before the next bell rung.
 
Kisho-See you guys in history!
 
Interesting enough that they all had history together, but Kagome found it strange that she had a lot of classes with Kisho Taisho. The morning passed quickly until sixth hour and Kagome walked through the door and took her seat by her friends in the third row of the room. She sat in front of Hojo and behind Kisho with Yuka on her left by the window and Ayumi on her right who was on the left of Eri. Sensei Minigawa was busy handing back everyone's graded test, and when she had finished she walked back up to the front of the room.
Sensei-Only one person in this entire class got the extra credit question right. The question reads, what was the name of the hanyou that was sealed to the Sacred Tree? Does anyone know the answer?
 
Kisho raised his hand in confidence as Sensei immediately called on her star pupil.
 
Kisho-The hanyou's name was Inuyasha.
 
Sensei-Taisho Kisho, was the only other one to answer the question, but he's not correct.
 
It took everyone by surprise, especially Kisho. He was sure that was the name of the hanyou.
 
Sensei-Strange that you say that Kisho, but Higurashi Kagome can you tell me the correct answer?
 
Kagome timidly raised her head from paper and pointed her gaze towards the teacher. Her voice was shaky and quivered while she said the answer aloud.
 
Kagome-Uh, the records of the names have long since been lost and so historians are unsure of the exact names of any of the actual people in the story at all including the hanyou.
 
Sensei-That's correct Kagome.
 
Sensei Minigawa continued with her lesson as Kisho turned to face Kagome with an inquiring look. Kagome simply shrugged in reply, she didn't think that was the right answer, or even that she'd get it right but she'd done some extra research. Strange because she had suddenly felt that she had so much time for her homework, she was getting straight A's and tests were no problem. Things just seemed, too perfect her life was fine, but Kagome certainly wasn't one to complain with perfection, especially if it dealt with herself. All through history class she was unfocused on the lesson that Sensei had prepared, she was pondering Kisho's answer to the extra credit question.
 
`Why would he have said something like that? As random as the name Inuyasha, well I do guess that it means dog demon and that does make sense…but why? How would he even think that was even remotely correct? A complete shot in the blue? No, otherwise he wouldn't have raised his hand to answer it when Sensei asked, he was entirely confident in his answer. Then how did he know? Even if it was right by the test answer key, my answer just doesn't seem…to be right at all. Weird…'
 
Kagome pushed the thought from her mind for the rest of the day, she deducted that a silly little extra credit question shouldn't bother her this much. Especially if she was the only student in the class who even had it correct. When she returned home was thrilled for her presents awaiting her and the bound to be unhealthy dinner that followed, with the added exceptional pleasure of being able to taunt Sota about how scared he was to go into the well house. While he countered back with how Kagome fell down the well. Afterwards, it was a routine night of homework and a shower following such, not an exceptionally exciting birthday, but she was content with it being such.
 
She looked into the mirror before taking a shower and noticed a she was wearing a necklace, one with a pretty pink chain with beads around it and a purple jewel on the end.
 
Kagome-I don't remember putting that on this morning.
 
In fact she couldn't even remember getting it, though without another thought she took it off and placed it on the counter before proceeding with her shower. Kagome had just come out of the bathroom after drying her hair; she was wearing a pink camisole top and baggy red pants. She walked into her room, over to her nightstand and placed the necklace there while in return she took her hairbrush and began brushing through her raven locks as she stood in front of her mirror. Kisho came to her mind once more; she couldn't get that name that he'd said off her mind.
 
Kagome-Inuyasha…
 
She whispered the name slowly to herself, it sounded…she couldn't place how it sounded. She concluded on it being somewhat, distant from her that's all she could say. Dropping her hands in frustration she flipped her hair behind her and walked over to her nightstand. Quickly placing the brush back in it's spot she turned to walk downstairs for a midnight snack to help her think better. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a something move outside her room. It made her take a sharp turn around and she placed her hands on the windowsill as the wind blew a gentle breeze on her face and hair. Kagome couldn't see anything that could have caused her to move, but she look at the Sacred Tree. `The Sacred Tree…I'm sure mom wouldn't mind if I just went to look at it…it is my birthday after all.'
 
Kagome quietly crept down the stairs and out the door. A gentle breeze greeted her to the songs and sights of the night. Cars honking people shouting and the bright lights of Tokyo in the distance. She was thankful that she lived on a shrine. It was like having your own little castle. Kagome walked over to the Sacred Tree and ran her finger over the scar on the front of the tree. It was the story of the hanyou and that priestess, the one where the pure priestess sealed the evil hanyou to the tree. She had always loved that story as a child, her grandfather had always told her that the record of the names had been lost.
 
The girl walked over to the bench beneath the tree and sat down, still staring at the scar, taking in the sadness it held. She couldn't imagine being sealed to a tree forever, no matter how evil you were, or even sealing someone there for all eternity. Though often times she had wondered why the hanyou wasn't still there, no one could ever give her an answer, because there wasn't one. No one knew how the body had disappeared, but she had always hoped that a pretty princess freed the hanyou, and she showed him how to be good and they lived happily ever after. She chuckled to herself; even now she still didn't believe that the hanyou had been evil, simply misunderstood possibly.
 
Then her thoughts turned to the lesson in her history class that afternoon, something was wrong. Kagome stared up into the night sky with dreaming eyes; she wanted to know what was missing. Her life didn't seem complete, she wasn't Kagome…if sounded strange but she couldn't imagine that this was the life she was supposed to lead. It didn't seem like it, but then again what teenager's life is filled with doubt and supposed imperfection even when it's completely fine. Yeah, her mind was making her think that something just had to be wrong because something really wasn't. Her life was fine, it didn't need anything else…she didn't need anything else. She was Kagome, and nothing could ever change that. Kagome lowered her head and pulled her knees up to her chest while wrapping her arms tightly around her legs. She stayed there for a few moments just thinking until a voice called her.
 
“Kagome…”
 
It was a soft whisper, as if they weren't truly calling her, but simply saying her name. She had imagined that it came from above her so she turned her head up to see. As she did so Kagome heard a rustling in the branches above herself, but there wasn't anything there.
 
Kagome-Strange…I swear mind if you're tricking me again you're going to be doing some more studying to keep these silly ideas out.
 
She stood up sharply and smoothed out her top as she tiptoed back to her room and the lights went out. Kagome drifted into a deep sleep and as she dreamt she repeated it over and over again.
 
Kagome-Inuyasha…