InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Kagome Came Back ❯ The Return part 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello Everyone!" Here is the real chapter 1. This story is 1/2 of a high school fic and is narrated mostly by Kagome. So Enjoy !

Things to remember!:
Bold = thoughts A.C= author's comments

Disclaimer: I DON'T OWN INUYASHA! Or ANYTHING ELSE!

        Chapter 1

Two years later...

"Thank you for flying Japan Airways. We will be landing soon! Please stay in your seats and the captain will give you further instructions," said the flight attendant while flashing a big insincere smile at the passengers.
She seemed like she had always loved traveling. She probably dreamed of being a flight attendant because they seemed so happy. I guess she found out how stressful her job was: disgruntled passengers, turbulence, kids running on the plane, bad conduct, and worst of all sexual harassment. She started to push the tray she had left in the corner down the aisle. As she was pushing the tray a man whistled and groped her and several others tried to look up her skirt.
"Assholes!" she muttered under her breath. However, she continued flashing smiles and pouring drinksfor the passengers,despite of the fact that she was pissed off. Not far from fuming attendant,was a young girl about the age of seventeen who was sitting by a window. That's me. When she saw me, she gave me an angry look. I didn't know why she was so mad at me but I decided not to care. Instead, I looked at the paper in my hands.
The paper read: "Congratulations Kagome Higurashi! You have completed the Two-year Student Exchange Program! We hope that you have enjoyed your stay in America! Best wishes on your academic future." I wished that I wasn't going back to Japan. There was so much that happened when I left. Also, there's that fact that I haveto go back to my old life.
        Finally, the plane landed at the Tokyo International Airport, and I went in search of
my family. I knew it would be easy to find where my family was. All I had to do was to look for someone who looked out of the ordinary. Sure enough, there was an elderly man dressed in the clothesof a shrine keeper. He was holding a small package in his hands.
"Hello, Grandpa," I said with a smile on my face.

"Hello Kagome, Welcome back! I h
ave something for you"

He handed
the packageto me and I carefully opened it. What I saw, was apretty red bracelet.You could not imagine my disbelief. This was actually a normal present. That's odd because it was coming from my grandfather.

For those in the dark
,my grandfather is notorious for giving "unique" gifts. Case and point: for fifteenth birthday, he gave me a mummified hand of some ancient water creature. I instantly decided that I wasn't worthy of such a wonderful giftso I just gaveit to Buyo. I'm glad to say,he didn't have any complaints.

Grandpa was beaming with extreme happiness.

"I am glad you like it, this bracelet has been handed down from gener
ation to generation!"

I don't
like the sound of that. Any gift that I or my brother Souta receives from Grandpa that has been "handed down from generation to generation usually ends up having a creepy tale/past linked to it.

"This bracelet was formed in the body of a centipede youkai." my grandfather continued in a happy and proud voice.

See what I mean?
That's creepy. I should have known that itwas too good to be true. I will never wear this bracelet.

"Enjoy it! It is my gift to
you,” Grandpa told in a cheerful voice.

"Thanks Grandpa." I said
in the fakestthankful voice I could manage,“It's...really...something" I started to wonder if Buyo will actually like his new chew toy. He always does.

Soon we finally left the airport with my stuff packed inside. It took us a while because, this might surprise you: Grandpa is old. I was just kidding. It surprised him. Just him. He hurt his back while trying to lift the heaviest bag that brought with me. We had to get someone to carry and pack the luggage for us. After staying in the car for an hour listening to traditional music, the old man's back got better.

"Come on Kagome," he finally said "let's go home. I'll drive." Those were two words that I never wanted to hear out of his mouth for many reasons. "Grandpa,
don'tyou need a license?" That might stop him. He smiled and replied, "I do have one! Don't worry Kagome! I have improved my driving since you left but I have always been a good driver haven't I?

I wasn't listening anymore because my mind had started to drift to the past.

Flashback

Four years ago.... I
was thirteen years old and stillstuck in middle school. On this particular day, Mom and Dad got sick at the same time. They had sent for Kaede to come to help around the house but she would be coming until the next day. Who on earth was going to take care ofthe house and us until then? Myparents went to the last resort. Yes, Grandpa was officially in charge. (Sarcastically) Great! That's just great! Myparents were sick and the grandfather was in charge.

"Kagome! Souta! Breakfast is ready! Come you two come down! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" Grandpa had been shouting for a good five minutes but we still didn't come out.

As usual, we were hiding in my room because we were scared of what weirdo experiment he cooked up that day.

"But Sis, I don't want to go down!" Souta
whined. "Come on Souta, we have to go to school soon," I said. Then I grabbed his hand and the two of us went into the kitchen. There we were, sitting at the table, reluctantly awaiting the breakfast our grandfather had prepared for us. My grandfather is also known for his experiments with food. He always said that he wouldproduce the perfect meals. Sadly for him, his meals are too outrageous for us or any normal person to eat.

"Finally you're here. I know you both have
exams to do today so I made something special. It will revive your strength and adjust your mind to do well on the exams.”
Then, he gave us each a bowl of some kind of soup.

”What is this?
“Ihad asked after staring at it for probably the longest 7 seconds of my life.

Grandpa simply replied, "Brain food."

I pressed on, "Are you sure?" Seriously, was he? I just wanted to be sure that I was about to eat something that was edible.

"Of course I am! Look at your brother! He ate everything! Why can't you?" said an annoyed Grandfather. I looked at him. He was hesitant when he started to eat it but Souta had happily finished the soup. That happiness would soon be short lived.

"That's nice Grandpa...but I still don't want to eat it!" I replied back.

"Hey Grandpa, this isn't bad. What is made of?" Souta asked

I couldn't tell you that! It is a great family secret that has been handed down from our ancestors. Only family will know the recipe!" said our grandfather as if we were some kind of spies.

"Grandpa, we are your family." Souta said that with a twinge of annoyance.

"Oh that's right!" was his reply. How could he have forgotten that?

"Souta, you might not want to find out the recipe
," I told him. I was trying to save him from unwanted information.

It is an ancient thinking soup that helps you think better. It is flavor with aneel's head to help quicken your brain,” Grandpa announced with a smile on his face.
It felt like the world came to a halt after we heard what Grandpa said. My brother and I sat there in silence for a couple of seconds with a blank expression on our faces. I looked down at the bowl in front of me only to see the eel staring right at me

"Eww...I think that head just winked at me!" It did wink at me. I think Grandpa didn't cook the head he just put it in the soup raw.

Nonsense! I assure both of you that eating this will make you smarter," said the man who was trying to defend his close to poison soup.

The only thing feeling smart in this room is Souta's stomach." was my reply. Sure enough
,Souta looked greener than Jaken. It wasn't a very pretty picture.

Boy was I glad that I didn't eat the soup. But I couldn't help but pity Souta. "Kids these days!" sighed Grandpa, "That recipe has been passed down from"....

"Generation to generation!
We know already!" Souta & Isaid simultaneously.

Grandpa shook his head and spoke in a defeated voice, "Well ... I am going to give this soup to you parents. At least they will appreciate and also it helps them get better."

Or help them get worse
,I thought

Flash forward to when we finally had to leave for school
.Wewere now near the car, waiting for Grandpa to come out. As expected, Souta was still trying to recover from the breakfast episode but he was too scared to stay home and have our grandfather watch over him. Then Grandpa appeared in his priestly robes with an old bottle of sake in his hand. He then proceeded to pour sake all over the car.

Souta was probably thinking:
What in the world was he doing now?

"Um...Grandpa are you doing?" Souta had spoken in a meek voice

"Good
that you should ask that, Souta", spoke my grandfather, “Iam driving away the evil spirits that might want us to crash. They couldbe in this car. The sake of our ancestors is an ancient ward against evil spirits.

With a smirk I asked him, "Grandpa, if it's the sake of our ancestors, why does it have a price tag on it?"

Exasperated, h
e finally got into the carp; we followedsoon after.

Suddenly
, a concernedSouta asked, "Grandpa, have you been practicing your driving?"

“Of course I have! I'm a very safe driver.”
Grandpa had said that in a voice of pure disbelief. He couldn't understand why we would question his driving skills buthe finally startedthe car.



Souta closed his eyes and h
eld on to my hand. I was smart enough to stay in the back seat. Now, Grandpa's driving can be described in one word: unstable. On his way to Souta's school, he ran red and missed the road. Ofcourse, we were pissed. He then assured us that he knew a "shortcut" that will take us back to the main road. As soon as themain road was in sight, he made a sudden U- turn in a 4-way intersection causing 3 car accidents. An innocent family of cats was close to being road kill by the old man's reckless driving.After a short time,wehad finally reached our destination. When that car screeched to a halt, the two of us bolted out of the car withlightening speed. Souta ran as fast as he could into the school and I convinced my grandfather that I would feel better if Iexercised by walking the next two blocks to my school.

        End of Flashback
***
I jolted back to reality only to hear the sound of fingers snapping near my eardrum. I simply cannot relieve that nightmare. "What if I drove instead?" I said. I really want to live to see my nextbirthday!

"I'm not so sure." He said as he wrinkled his face with uncertainty. "There are recent studies that point teenagers out to be oneof the most reckless drivers."


Obviously, these people haven't had Grandpa drive them anywhere.

“It will be okay,” Ireplied, still trying to get that man away from the steering wheel. Those studies could be mistaken. Come on, I am your granddaughter. Don't you trust me?”
Kagome, you just got off a plane. You must be tired,” mygrandfather answeredwhile trying to deter me from driving.

"Yeah
," I said dejectedly. Henever answered my question! I decided that if he was so determined to drive, I will "enjoy" the ride from the safety of the back seat. My grandpa forced me to sit in the front because I apparently needed observe his driving skills so I could become a better driver. Has he even seen me drive? Oh well I don't care anymore. As long as we get out of this stupid airport I'll be fine.

Grandpa really improved on his driving! Well, kind of. He ran through 3 red lights, almost committed a hit and run crime to a family of cats. And made a sharp turn when he almost missed the way to the shrine.

When we finally stopped, I got out. The first thing that came t
o mind was relief. I always felt that way when Grandpa stoppeddriving. After I got out of the car, Istarted to walk to the shrine. It was weird because I hadn't seen it for two whole years. The door suddenly opened and out came my twelve- year-old brother Souta. He ranup to where I was and just staredat me. He kept staring atmeuntil it got to the point that I freaked out and startedto fight the urge to slap him out of it.

"You look different", He finally said.
Is that all he had to say to me? Hello, you haven't seen me in a year! I decided to shrug the angry feelingI was getting and I askedhimabout middle school.

"Hard!" was the reply. Then he looked at me and smiled, "Now that you're back...can you take me to the arcade two weeks from n
ow?”
What is this?I just came back from America and already the brat wantsme to be his personal chauffer? All I could givehimwasa cold glare. "Please," he continues to plead, "You have been gone for so long! Plus I have been stuck with that stupid cousin of ours for far too long


I sighed and agreed to his wishes so he
would leave me alone. My mom finally came out of the shrine. She smiledwhen she saw me and said, "Welcome home Kagome! Is there something you would like to eat?

"Sure," was my
reply,"let me just put some things up in my room.”
With that I tookone bag and headedtowards my room. Souta and Mom also tooka bag and slowly followed. My grandfather decided to take the smallest load and likewise followed them.

I scanned the familiar hallways and stairs in the house. It ha
dbeen so long since I set foot in this house. I was thinking about takinga long hot bath before going to sleep on my warm, cozy bed. Boy,did I miss my bed! And also my room!

When I finally reached my door,Isearched for the key that I hadn't used in a while. Grandpa gaveitback to me before I went in the house.At last,Ifound the key and placedit in the lock on the door. I couldn't waitto entermy roomagain! I slowly opened the door and looked inside. I couldn't movebecause Iwas tooshocked to do so. "AAAH!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ROOM!!!!!!
 
 
Sorry that this chapter is very long. I kindof got carried away. This kindof gives you a preview of how Kagome thinks of her life. It will get more interesting later on. It took me months just to type this story up no thanks to school. I have never gotten use to writing a story in this form. I will continue this story only because I like writing it. If you do review, try not to flame. Thank you so much! Later Days!
I had to edit this a bit. This was my first non script story so it needed a lot of editing.