InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“How dare he!” Izayoi fumed as Musou drove her back to the station. “You'd think he'd have been grateful that I was interested in my child! That I want to see him and help relieve the burdens of raising him!”
 
“He's inuyoukai, Hukara-san,” Musou stated, pulling into the precinct's parking lot. “Canine youkai are fiercely loyal to their pups, as are neko youkai are to their kits. They're the only species of youkai who really take responsibility for their young and will do anything for their children, including die for them. In his eyes, you're an unfit mother, despite the fact that you've cleaned up your act.”
 
“Well, if he thinks I'm going to give up on my child without a fight, he's got another thing coming. He isn't the only one with money to throw around,” the woman spat then stormed to her car. Musou shook his head.
 
'My deepest sympathies to you, Shimizu-san. I only hope you can keep the pup away from her.'
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho growled, slamming his pen down. The scent of cigarettes still lingered in the air. It disgusted him. He knew the only reason why the officer had smelled like cigarette smoke had been because she had been smoking. Half a pack, if her stench had been any indication. Then that damned attorney had arrived a few hours later, summoning him to court. He couldn't believe that damn woman was actually suing him for custody of their child.
 
“Shacho?” Kaede stuck her head in the door.
 
“Yes, Higurashi-san?”
 
“The day care just contacted me. Inuyasha's asking for his 'apa.”
 
He growled again. And his son's timing couldn't have come at a worse time. Thanks to that woman, he wreaked of cigarettes. His son wouldn't be able to handle the smell, and he knew it.
 
“Have them put a mask over him before they send him up.”
 
“Will do,” she nodded.
 
A few minutes later, a very sleeping-looking Inuyasha was led into his office, a white mask placed over the child's face. InuTaisho smiled, despite his son's irritable expression. Inuyasha hated wearing the masks but had come to understand why he had to. If one was on, he knew that there was a bad smell or something dangerous somewhere, things that would make him cough, maybe even put him in the hospital. Not for the first time since Takeda Musou and Hukara Izayoi had shown, InuTaisho was thankful that his pup had been in the daycare center. They'd be on their way to the hospital if the hanyou had been in his office.
 
“'apa? `ere `you?” came the muffled inquiry. Thanks to the mask, the pup's nose couldn't detect anyone. He had to rely on his ears, but that was only effective if someone were talking to him.
 
“Right over here, pup,” InuTaisho told him. “Getting sleepy?”
 
“'ai . . . 'ung'y.”
 
“Sleepy and hungry, huh?” InuTaisho chuckled. “Guess we'll have to do something about that.”
 
Inuyasha made his way around his desk and InuTaisho scooped him up. With the pup settled in his lap, he got into his little refrigerator and pulled out a cold lunch that he'd prepared that morning. He'd worry about Izayoi later. His son came first.
 
* * *
 
Yashira hummed softly as she chopped the vegetables she'd bought for dinner that night. Her former mate would probably get upset that she was fixing the final day's meal, but she wasn't about to rest on his hospitality for the duration of her stay. She didn't like to feel that she was burdening her ex. That had been part of the reason why she'd filed for divorce. She still loved him but she didn't like to feel helpless. She needed to do something with her life.
 
As she dropped the vegetables into a pot, Yashira heard the apartment door open. The faint scent of cigarettes greeted her nose, as did InuTaisho's and his son's. Frowning, she walked into the living room. Immediately, Yashira had a pup in her arms, and he had a white mask around his nose.
 
“Change his clothes then bag them,” came the cool statement.
 
“Tai, I'm not . . .” she began.
 
“Please, Yashira. His clothes smell like cigarettes and so do mine. He's also getting quite irritated with that mask.”
 
His tone left no room for argument. Quietly, she took Inuyasha to his room and did as her ex asked. When she brought him back into the living room, InuTaisho stood there, waiting. With a smile, he took his son back and removed the white mask. Immediately, Inuyasha looked relieved and seemed to liven up a bit. He'd been rather listless in her arms before.
 
“Arigato, Yashira . . . I appreciate it.”
 
“No problem . . . what happened? I don't think I've seen you that upset in a long time,” she commented.
 
InuTaisho drew a deep breath.
 
“His mother is suing for custody of him. I received the summons two hours after she decided to pay me a visit, bringing a police officer with her.”
 
“What?!”