InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When My Heart Shatters ❯ Take A Bow ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When My Heart Shatters
By Utena








Take A Bow











All the world is a stage (World is a stage)
And everyone has their part (Has their part)
But how was I to know which way the story'd go
How was I to know you'd break (You'd break, you'd break, you'd break)
You'd break my heart

-Take a Bow, Madonna













From her vantage point on the second floor of the ballroom, Kagome Taisho stood nursing a glass of champagne, swirling the golden liquid in its flute, watching her husband move fluidly through the crowd, pausing only momentarily to exchange a pleasantry or a smile to a passing investor. Kagome watched her husband’s lips curl upwards in what he deemed was a smile but she knew better. She knew he hated exchanging pleasantries or even smiling at his human investors. Even though he had married her, a human, he still cared little for her species. All they were were bugs beneath his feet that need to be either collected together to offer some sort of tribute to him or they were easily thrown away when their use was finished.

She had seen it done numerous times in the past. Her husband was a ruthless businessman. He was even considered much worse than his own father. Toga was a ruthless man but he was nothing compared to Sesshomaru. That man was considered a shark or sometimes something much worse. It just depended on the time of day or who was in his crosshairs.

Often, Kagome did not envy those within the business district. She had seen her husband at his best and she had seen him at his worst and lately the latter had been the most she had seen.

In fact, their marriage had reached the part where they had become cordial even to the point of being cold to each other. This had not been the route Kagome had wanted. She had always been in love with Sesshomaru but it had been lately he had pulled away. Things had begun to become worse when they had started to try for a baby. It had become Sesshomaru’s obsession as of late and each try had been a failure. Kagome knew her husband had laid the blame at her feet. He believed that her Miko abilities had become a problem and though she had sought help to try to balance her Miko abilities, it had not been enough.

Sesshomaru had begun to pull away from her. He had started to stay away longer from their home and oftentimes never come at all. She had begun to suspect that he had turned to someone else. At first, she thought she was just being paranoid but then he started acting aloof and even addressing her so formally as he had when she had first begun working in the same building with him. It had been her first inkling that something was up and her premonition had started to bear fruit.

One day when she went to meet her girlfriends from school, she had seen it. She had seen her husband with his secretary in an intimate embrace together. It was not of a boss and employee but more of a married couple enjoying a beautiful moment together. It had struck Kagome’s heart, shattering it into tiny pieces. It had taken everything within her not to break down right in front of her friends.

What had been worse was that it had been one of her best friend's wife – Sango Hoshi.

Kagome’s eyes tore away from the figure of her husband to the woman beside him. All dolled up and looking like the wife of the man she was standing next to. She smiled, exchanged pleasantries, and laughed at something that is said. It should be her down there. It should have been her on her husband’s arm, but Sesshomaru would not allow it. All their time was meant for moments when she was fertile and nothing more.

Kagome reached up and wiped a tear from her cheek. She did not know why she bothered coming. She felt like a third wheel when it came to such events. It was not like that in the beginning. Sesshomaru had always been proud to show her off in the beginning. He enjoyed the envied looks from clients and staff of the beautiful woman he had married. Now she was nothing more than a breeding mare to him.

Dumping the contents of the rest of her drink into a nearby planter, Kagome turned herself away from the spectacle below. She knew she could not stay here anymore. She was not wanted and Sango had made that quite clear by the hold she had on Sesshomaru. Perhaps it would be better if she were to just remove herself from his life and allow Sango the happiness that was not afforded to her.

Kagome touched the space between her breasts and could feel the breaking of her heart. Each crack is clear and painful. She did not want to go without a fight but what was the point in staying in something when you are not wanted?

Placing her glass flute down on the table, Kagome made her way down the stairs and through the throng carefully not to draw attention to herself. She had no desire to disturb Sesshomaru’s carefully made world or embarrass him any further. No, she will quietly slip away and head back home.

But what would she do there? Came the quiet thought dancing in her head.

She could no longer stay there, that was for sure. It was time to break away and make a clean getaway. She could call her sister or even call Kimi. She loved her mother-in-law. The woman was a treasure to her. She had taken her under her wings and helped her adjust to life as a yokai wife. Much like her son, Kimi had no love or fondness for humans. She had no idea what changed Kimi’s thoughts or actions but Kimi had become a beacon in her life when she needed advice or someone to talk to.

Reaching into the pocket of her coat, she pulled out her cell phone and punched in numbers. The sound of ringing and a voice quickly answered, “Hello?”

“Mom,” she sobbed the moment she heard Kimi’s voice, “I can’t do this. I’m leaving.”

There was a small pause. “Kagome, my dearest, what has happened? Where are you?”

Kagome could hear the concern and worry laced in Kimi’s voice. “If Kikyo will have me, I will go home to her.”

Another pause. “Let me know when you get there and I will be there.”

“Mom, I don’t want to put you in this spot,” she whispered wiping the tears from her eyes as she made her way down the lonely hall.

“Nonsense,” Kimi snorted. “I will see you in a few short hours, my dearest girl. Keep your chin up and be careful.”

“I promise,” she said before hanging up and placing the phone back into her pocket. She pushed open the door and right into the area where the valets waited patiently. Her eyes locked on one of Sesshomaru’s guards. She had not meant to come out these doors. She just wanted to wave down a taxi and take it from there to the mansion, but fate had dropped her right in front of Renkotsu.

The guard had been surprised by her sudden appearance. For a moment, Renkotsu had paused to wait to see if his boss would appear in just seconds but he had not. He had heard the rumors of the trouble brewing within the Taisho marriage. He had brushed it off believing that it had been nothing more than idle gossip made by jealous women and yet now he could see by the tear-stained face that it had been true – mostly.

“Are you okay, Kagome-sama?” Renkotsu inquired as he motioned for the valet to grab one of the cars quickly and stepped forward with a hand reaching out to help her.

Kagome did not want to lie to him. He had always been kind to her. He never judged her and he already seemed to be pleasant to her whenever they crossed paths.
She shook her head. “No, I just want to go home.”

Renkotsu nodded as the black limo rolled up. He would not press her for anything further. He did not like seeing his mistress this way and he certainly did not like the fact that his master was the reason for her tears.

Renkotsu moved back and opened the limo door wide allowing Kagome to quickly slip without another word or anyone else seeing her.

The moment the door closed and the limo pulled away from the curb, Kagome could not contain her sobs much longer. Her tears flowed freely down her face making her vision blur. She stumbled to find her phone again and tried desperately to dial another set of numbers. This time to her sister.

It took only three rings and Kikyo’s sleepy voice answered, “Hello?”

“Kikyo,” her sobs were coming harder the moment her sister’s voice rang over the line.

“Kagome, what’s wrong?” Her sister was now fully awake and worried. She had never heard Kagome cry in such a way that it was breaking her own heart. She reached over to lightly awaken her husband, who turned his half-asleep amber eyes toward her.

Inuyasha could hear the sobs coming from the other side of the phone and he realized that it had been Kagome. He could hear the heartbreak in those sobs that made him growl angrily as he knew who had caused them.

Sesshomaru.

He was going to kick his ass. He no longer cared if Kagome pleaded with him to not do so. He was not going to let his dickhead of an older brother get away with hurting her. He had made that clear when Sesshomaru had first laid eyes upon Kagome. He had told him that ever he thought to hurt her it would be the last time that Sesshomaru would be alive to see the next day.

Growling, Inuyasha grabbed the phone from his wife’s hand, “I will make that bastard pay,” he promised. “Come home, Kagome. I will have one of the planes ready for departure within the hour. Grab whatever ya want from that home and come home to us.” Another growl. “I am going to torch him.”

Kagome could not help but love her sister and brother-in-law. She knew that calling them had been the right decision and she could not wait to be with them. They would erase her pain and they would help her decide her next move.

Kagome opened her mouth to argue against bodily harming Sesshomaru, but she knew Inuyasha would not hear it. So, she decidedly answered, “Okay. Let me go home to pack some bags and I will be on that flight soon.”

“Good,” Inuyasha replied happily that Kagome was not going to fight him on this. “We will see you in a few hours.” Inuyasha hung up the phone and grabbed his robe, rising from his bed, and turned to look at his wife, “Pops needs to know.”

“What are you going to tell him?” She asked. She believed that Toga should know what his eldest son had done to hurt her sister.

“That Sesshomaru is an asshole and needs his ass kicked,” Inuyasha bit out as he headed toward the door. He had not needed Kagome to tell him why she was broken – he already knew. He had heard the rumors that had been going around when he had last visited the Tokyo headquarters. Rumors that Sesshomaru and his secretary had been having an affair.

Inuyasha had thought the rumors had been wrong, but now he was not so sure. He would not put it past that bitch Sango to set her claws into him but what he could not understand was how could Sesshomaru allow it. Wasn’t he devoted to Kagome? Hell, he would not even let Inuyasha hug her whenever he was in Tokyo.

So what the hell changed?

Never mind, he would allow his father to handle the matter. All he cared about was getting Kagome here and away from his brother.



“Kimi-sama?” A worried rang through the silence that had deafened the room once the cell phone had been placed down.

Eyes of molten gold turned to her companion. “That was Kagome, Totosai,” Kimi replied. She pierced her lips together in thought as her mind recalled the brief conversation.

The old blacksmith yokai curiously watched as a flitter of emotions danced across Kimi’s face. He had never seen so many of them before on Kimi. She had the ability to hide any emotion she felt behind a facade of cold beauty but something must have happened to Kagome-sama that brought those emotions to the surface.

“Totosai, go to Scotland and prepare both the castle and the cottage on the property. See to it that you take any other builders, carpenters, and others needed to make the castle habitual again,” Kimi-sama ordered before drawing her attention to her two maids, “Prepare my departure.”

Her handmaids bowed their heads and removed themselves from her presence to make the necessary preparations for her departure from Sky Castle.

Totosai also took this moment to depart from Kimi’s presence. He had been given his orders and he knew that he was on a timer. Kimi had not been at the castle in a century and he was certain the place would need a ton of fixtures and updates. Already, he had in mind the yokais that could offer the help needed.

Left alone, Kimi briefly considered changing into her yokai form and leaving the Sky Castle but it would alert both Toga and Sesshomaru of her departure. She could not have that. No, she wanted to leave without detection but she also needed to meet with the other Lords of the Yokai Court. She had no desire to influence them, but she had to let them know of the situation that could come their way. After all, she would be unable to place herself upon their council. She had plans to give representation to Kagome if the need came.

Turning her head to the large mirror of the room, she moved toward and spoke softly the incantation that would reveal the three lords.

“Kimi-sama,” the hawk yokai acknowledged with a bow of his head. His feathers once full of color now turn grey in color. His handsome face weathered by time and war of long ago. Yet, his sharp eyes were still teeming with the knowledge of wisdom and the past.

Beside him, the Lord of the East appeared. He, too, appeared to be surprised by the summonings.

“Kimi-sama,” Kirinmaru murmured upon seeing the former mate of his own enemy. His unruly, bulbous red hair flowed behind him and his face was covered by the dragon mask. His eyes focused on the woman but not on the other member of this group. This was not a pleasant visit. Kimi’s appearance or summons never were, but more business necessary.

The last lord, Koga, the young Lord of the North and of the Wolves appeared. His dark eyes widened at the sight of Sesshomaru’s mother standing before him. He never thought he would be summoned by her. It was rare and an honor when one was. Even as his wife, Ayame, stood just off to the side and out of view was too surprised by the one who had summoned her husband.

“Kimi-sama, you give me great honor, what may the Wolf tribe have done to give this great summon?” Koga replied bowing his head before straightening at the other images of the other lords. For all three of them to appear, it must be something of great importance.

Yet, the three knew that there was one (or two) missing from this call – Sesshomaru and Toga. Whatever this was, it must be of great secrecy.

“I summon you with news to be shared,” Kimi offered. Her molten gold eyes swept over every face. “I wish not to influence the court with the coming changes of the Western Lands. I come only to inform you that mating and marriage may come to an end. The three Lords of the Yokai Council must be the ones to preside over this issue and give your best-unbiased take.”

“The Western Lands, my lady?” Koga spoke up trying to understand what exactly would be coming before the council.

Kimi let a clawed finger tap gently against her chin. She did not want to reveal too much because it could upset the balance. This had been meant as a warning and nothing more. She did not want Toga to know that the court was now aware of events to come.

“You will all see soon,” Kimi replied ominously and offered nothing more.
For the three lords, it was enough for them. They would not press the issue any further and await until the moment came for their summonings to the Yokai Court.

“Aye, my lady,” they replied before disappearing.



As the limo rounded around the courtyard and stopped in front of the mansion, Kagome’s tears had all dried up. Her face was a mess, she was certain of it, but she no longer cared what she looked like. She would not be around long for anyone to take notice of her appearance. Perhaps even the mansion staff would be happy to finally be rid of that human woman.

Chewing on her lip, Kagome still felt horrible for bothering both her sister and Inuyasha and Kimi. She hated that she had called them broken down and destroyed. It had been a sight of her that she had never wanted them to see, but she could no longer stay within the veil of fog.

As the door opened, Kagome’s thoughts were pushed back as she lifted to find Akito’s forest-green eyes glancing down at her in worry

“Kagome-sama?” Akito said. Upon lifting his head, the Tiger-like face seemed youthful but the forest-green eyes told of another story – one of wise age and appearance. One who had lived long and prospered and had been of great influence when it came to many clans of the neko yokais.

“Ahh yes,” she remarked embarrassed, and slid out of the limo. As she made her way toward the door, she paused and turned back to the tiger yokai. “Akito, can you keep the limo waiting?”

“Of course, Kagome-sama,” Akito answered with a bow.

“It will only take me about thirty minutes to retrieve my things,” she said and turned back to the door, opening them, and stepping into the large main hallway.

The mansion was faintly lit. It seemed that all the staff had long since retired to their respective quarters for rest. Kagome removed her sapphire blue heels and made her way up the stairs with them in hand, down the hall, and into the master bedroom that she once shared with Sesshomaru.

Flipping on the light, Kagome took a moment to take in the room for the last time. The large master bed had been immaculately made with the covers turned down to await Kagome. Sesshomaru no longer slept with her. He seemed to opt for his office rather than with her. Not that it mattered to her anymore. She knew he did not love her as he had once done. Perhaps it was easy for him to turn off his emotions because of being a daiyokai, but Kagome was human and humans were often ruled by them. She could not turn them off like a switch and this was why it had become so hard for her. She had loved him more than anything and she had wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. She had even begun taking Miko lessons from her Aunt Kaeda with the hopes of making it easy to get pregnant. There had been a lot of progress made and yet it did not seem to be enough for Sesshomaru to continue his marriage.

Kagome could feel the tears threatening once more to fall that she pushed away any feeling….any thought and began to ransack her closet for casual wear – jeans, shorts, comfortable shirts. She would not need jackets or coats as the weather in Hawaii was always in the 80s.

Once finally packed, Kagome took one more final look around the room and left carrying her suitcase. She did not care what Sesshomaru did with all her expensive clothes or jewelry. She did not need them. She would no longer be the trophy he seemed to think she was.

Quietly, she made her down the staircase and out the door before it would alert the staff. She did not want to face Jaken or the million questions he would have. She did not want to say goodbye to him either. He may have hated her in the beginning but he had warmed up to her quickly and the two had settled into a friendship.

Outside, Kagome breathed a sigh of relief and made her way to the limo waiting. The door already had been opened and Kagome threw her suitcase in with her. There was no time for her to allow Akito to place them neatly in the back. The party would be ending soon and Kagome wanted to be far, far away from the mansion before Sesshomaru’s initial arrival.

When the limo pulled out of the courtyard, Kagome leaned back and allowed the ride to the airport to lull into a short rest.


Chapter End