InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When My Heart Shatters ❯ The Power of Goodbye ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When My Heart Shatters
By Utena








The Power of Goodbye











Your heart is not open, so I must go

The spell has been broken, I loved you so

Freedom comes when you learn to let go

Creation comes when you learn to say no


You were my lesson I had to learn

I was your fortress you had to burn

Pain is a warning that something's wrong

I pray to God that it won't be long

Do ya wanna go higher?


-The Power of Goodbye by Madonna














A mocking smile tugged on Sango’s lips. Her dark eyes focused on the blue satin figure moving through the crowd. Kagome was leaving without a word to Sesshomaru, but it did not matter to her. She was keeping him occupied and his attention upon herself and those around them. She did not want him to think of Kagome. She did not want his attention to sway toward Kagome either.


And it was working.


He never once glanced around for her, her name fell from his lips, and thoughts never lingered upon her. He had no idea either that she had long since walked out that door without as much of a glance backward, but Sango only believed that Kagome had realized that she had lost.


Sango was proud of herself. She had driven the wedge between Sesshomaru and Kagome. She had made sure that it was she that Sesshomaru sought out and she was the one to who Sesshomaru confessed his love.


All of this was thanks to the little bottle tucked in her purse. A drop a day into his drink whether it was his morning coffee or evening drink was enough to wrap the inuyokai around her fingertips. Kagome was an afterthought now.


The only thing is that she had been able to lure him into her bed. The only time she had to succeed was when he was drugged that he had fallen asleep. She had the hardest time dragging his heavy body into her bed and undressing him.


When he had awakened the next morning, he had believed they had slept together. At first, Sesshomaru did not want to believe it. He had always promised himself that he would never turn out to be his father and here he was doing exactly what his father had done.


Sango remembered the moment he rose and grabbed his clothes, went to the bathroom to dress, and came out. He was unhappy about this turn of events and he had told her that this night will never happen again.


Sango knew she had to use more of that little bottle. Always on the dot of nine in the morning, he would call for his cup of coffee and Sango would go off to get it, making sure to add two drops into it before stirring. She was happy that the liquid had no taste. Sara Asano had promised her that she would have to put into his drink every day. A missed day could cause problems.


The times she did not spend with Sesshomaru were spent elsewhere and with someone else. Hiten had been her lover since meeting him at a party with Miroku. Her husband had received a promotion and had taken her with him. There she had seen him enjoying himself with several young women. Sango had always known her husband had a wandering eye but she never expected him to do it in front of her. He had always put her and her happiness first in the first two years of their marriage, but since receiving his job here he no longer bothered with her.


Hiten was her husband’s opposite. He gave her attention. He listened to her and lavished her body whenever they were together. The two had made plans to go away together, but things stopped the moment she received the job at Taisho Corporation as Sesshomaru’s secretary.


Even after securing the job, the two of them still met, still had sex, and still had a connection between them. He was even helping her with her current scheme. While she made Sesshomaru believe he loved her, she was sleeping with Hiten with the hope of becoming pregnant. She knew it would be the only way to become the one thing she desired the most – removing Kagome from being Lady of the Western Lands.


Kagome.


The name caused her lips to curl in disgust. She had hated that woman ever since they had first met. She had been Miroku’s first friend and he had adored her. They had all loved her. She had tried to gain the same favor from the group but Kagome’s light always shined brighter than hers.


Even worse, Kagome had also snagged one of the richest men in Japan – Sesshomaru. How she had managed that, Sango did not know. The stories she had heard made it seem like some sort of fairytale and Kagome some sort of princess.


This only caused Sango to despise the woman more. Kagome had become everything Sango had wanted to be. She was the beloved wife of Sesshomaru Taisho, sister-in-law to Inuyasha, and Toga’s favorite daughter-in-law.


Sango believed that she wanted what Kagome had.


And the little help came from both Hiten and the little magic bottle.


Though she had never slept with Sesshomaru, Hiten had been her choice when it came to getting her pregnant. With him, she could easily pass off the child as Sesshomaru’s. She doubted he would even think to secure a DNA test.


But Toga could be a problem. The inuyokai had never liked her and he had always had disapproving looks whenever she appeared. Even if she addressed him, he never said a word to her. She would have to tread carefully with him. She would have to find a way to gain his support even just a small bit. It would be enough to get her foot in the door and into becoming the next wife of Sesshomaru.





The limo slowly rolled through the opened gate and to the awaiting plane, Kagome’s eyes opened and she moved to glance out of the darkened windows. The wintery sky had become cloudy and pink. She had always noted that such weather meant that there was snow on the way. She should have listened to the weather while packing but it had been the furthest thing on her mind.


As the door opened, Kagome peered closely at the plane. There, waiting for her arrival the pilot and a lone stewardess. If Kagome had not been paying attention, she would not notice that both were shivering from the cold and she moved quickly out of the limo.


The pilot scrambled to take her luggage from the car and move them into the plane. Kagome turned to look at Akito. The old yokai offered a small, sad smile.


“Thank you for everything,” She whispered hugging him tightly. “Tell Jaken I am sorry.”


Akito wiped the stray tears from his eyes and nodded his head. He was afraid to speak. Afraid that his voice would break if he said goodbye to her. He didn’t want to but he knew she would be happier away from here.


Kagome turned away and made her way quickly to the plane, speaking softly to the stewardess before disappearing into the plane.


Akito lingered just a bit longer watching the plane start its engines and begin to pull away from the hanger. He had to go back to the manor. He had to seek out Jaken because the moment Kagome hugged him, there was a scent wrapping around Kagome that he had never smelled before. It was something loving. Something warm and protective. Something that sought to let others know that Kagome’s sweet scent had changed.


Whatever it had been, it was best to talk to Jaken before the master arrived home.




From the shadows, Jaken had watched the main door open and Kagome entered. Her once-immaculate make-up was ruined by the tears that seemed to have fallen earlier. Jaken frowned at her appearance. He did not understand what had happened to cause his young mistress so much misery. He had thought she was happy but now all the gossiping from the staff made him realize that not everything was right between his master and his mistress.


Jaken sniffed the air once he heard the bedroom door open and closed. There was something about Kagome’s smell that seemed different. He could not put his finger on what that smell meant. The human smell was different from yokais. Most humans smelled of the earth but Kagome’s smell was different. It was pleasant. A cross between Spring’s renewal and fresh fruit.


But now there was something within that scent underlining another smell. No matter how hard he tried to mull this change the more he knew he did not understand humans. This change could come from the misery Kagome was displaying.


Still, he was not sure but there was no time for him to contemplate this further. The sound of Kagome dragging something down the hall and stairs drew his attention once more. His bulbous eyes widened as he noticed the two suitcases in her hands.


She was leaving?


Did the master know?



Jaken was conflicted. He wanted to step from the shadows and confront her about her suitcases in her hands, but he could not find it within himself to do. He could see the pain in her face and the puffiness of her eyes.


Instead, he waited for her to leave before he ascended the stairs and went to the master bedroom. There when he turned on the light, he could see the room a mess. Her designer gowns were strewn all over the floor and her shoes were tossed haphazardly all over. Both the master and mistress were always neat freaks. The master bedroom was always immaculate.


Well, it was not always like that. During the early stages of their marriage, the room was messy but that was always expected.

Until recently.


Jaken had noticed some time ago of something wrong. The master was returning later and later and there was a scent of another on him. He had heard the rumors within the staff – their master had a mistress.


At first, Jaken had chalked up the scent as nothing more than clients and his secretary but the scent of something that did not sit right with the old kappa. The master’s demeanor had even changed. He had become prone to anger quicker and he rarely dined with Kagome.


He had often had front-row seats to Kagome having prepared a lovely meal for her and Sesshomaru only to realize that he never came home.


The kappa would often feel sorry for his young mistress but things progressed even worse. The master had started demanding an heir from Kagome. Each time, the mistress became fertile they would try but it had been in vain. Each time she took a test there was disappointed.


Since then, Jaken knew Sesshomaru moved from the master bedroom to another room near his office downstairs. They only were together when Kagome was in the stages of fertility.


Jaken sighed sadly. He hoped that wherever Kagome went, she would be happier than she had been here.




Kagome buckled herself into her seat and leaned back. She could not wait to be away from Tokyo. The weather was miserable as she was and the weather in Hawaii would be far more welcoming. She had made sure to pack a lot of summery clothes. Everything else had been left behind – glamorous gowns, beautiful jewels, and name-brand high heels. She had seen no point in bringing them along anyway. She planned to freely run around the entire estate and enjoy the freedom she had taken.


“Kagome-sama, we will be departing in just moments,” the stewardess said making sure her young mistress was comfortable. “Once we have safely altitude, I will return to bring you some tea and snacks.”


“Thank you,” she said genuinely and returned to looking out at the window. A hand reached out to touch the cold window. “Goodbye, Sesshomaru.”





“Shippo, it’s Inuyasha,” he spoke into the receiver of his cell phone and looked over at his wife. He could see that she was against telling Shippo of the situation but Inuyasha knew the boy would want to know. He had seen Kagome as his mother figure ever since he could remember and if the boy had not been told right away by one of them – well, there would be hell to pay. Shippo would be here to cause him more of a headache than he wanted. “I need you to come to Hawaii. It’s about Kagome.”


Kikyo was nearby pacing the floors as she listened intently to the conversation. She had been biting on her thumbnail since her husband decided to make a call to Shippo. Although it had been the right decision, Kikyo was not so sure they should have made the call at this very moment. She believed that telling Shippo would only cause a bit more trouble than they could actually deal with.


But Inuyasha had been adamant about calling the boy. He reminded Kikyo that the kit saw Kagome as his adopted mother and had imprinted that upon her. Kikyo reluctantly allowed the call, but now as she listened to the panic and concerned voice of the kit coming through the receiver, she wondered if her decision had been the right one.


“Look, Shippo,” Inuyasha said, “my asshole of a brother is having an affair and Kagome found out about it. I am even pretty sure she has known for some time.”


“An affair?” Shippo all but snarled. “Who the hell with?”


“Sango,” Kikyo spoke loudly enough for Shippo to hear her from the other side of the phone.


Now she had done it, Inuyasha briefly glared at his mate knowing that this was not the right time to really divulge the details, but now that the cat was out of the bag, he could already hear the wheels in the boy’s head turn. There was going to be trouble. A lot of trouble brewed shortly when they hung up.


Not for himself, mind you. The boy had caused him grief plenty of times in the past whenever he did something to annoy or cause Kagome grief. Inuyasha could not help but pity his brother – wait, never mind. He did not pity or envy his brother and the wraith he would face from one angry kitsune.


There was an eerie silence hanging between Inuyasha and the kit. The hanyo could only consider the boy was trying to calm down his anger just enough for them to continue their conversation.


“Where is Momma at now?” Shippo inquired calmly.


“She’s on her way here,” Kikyo supplied hoping to give the kit something that would calm him down.


“I will be on my way shortly,” Shippo promised and disconnected the call leaving both Inuyasha and Kikyo to look at each other in worry.




It was just an hour to dawn when Sesshomaru returned from the party. The quietness of the mansion was refreshing the Lord of the Western Lands. He had no worry that the staff would bother him before he reached the safety of his office. Kagome would – well, he was not sure what his mate would do today. He had not seen her at all. They had gone together to the party last night but he had been so busy mingling with clients and investors with Sango that he had left her to own devices. It had not been until one of the wives of a client had inquired about her that he realized she had gone missing. It had taken an hour to locate her only to learn that she had departed the party and headed back to the mansion.


Sesshomaru had assumed his wife had been tired and even bored. She had remained on the second floor looking down upon the group of partygoers with no interaction from himself or Sango. It had been a surprise since Sango was the wife of one of her best friends.


But then Sesshomaru noticed that Kagome had no great love for Sango. She tolerated her because of Miroku and he had learned in the past that Kagome had pushed for her to get the job of secretary only because of Miroku. If it had been anyone else, Sesshomaru knew Kagome always had a soft heart for her friends and she went beyond all means for them.


Even his half-brother and his wife – her sister, Kikyo, were often subject to her devotion. He may not get along with Inuyasha but he tolerated him because of Kagome.


Stepping into the bathroom, Sesshomaru stripped his clothes and let them fall to the ground, and stepped into the shower. Heated water fell upon him like great sheets of rain warming his body from the cold of the winter weather. It had been snowing when he had come home. Tiny snowflakes had fallen gently over the city when he had signaled for the limo to take him home. Since the beginning of his longevity, he enjoyed seeing the flakes falling all over the land. It had made even the Western stronghold look hauntingly beautiful against the white landscape.


With his shower finished, Sesshomaru grabbed his robe and put it on. He made his way out of the bathroom only to find Jaken, his faithful kappa waiting for him. It was not unusual for his old kappa to be waiting but there seemed to be something weighing upon his fragile shoulders. Even his green face seemed to have paled.


“Jaken?” Sesshomaru’s baritone voice called out softly.


Jaken glanced up at his master and sighed, “Sesshomaru-sama, I have something to tell you.”


Sesshomaru cocked his head but said nothing.


Jaken knew this was Sesshomaru’s way of listening. Okay, it was better than it had been. Long ago, Sesshomaru would have preferred to either punt him across the length of Japan than hear anything he had to say.


This time it seemed different.


Jaken sucked in a breath and exhaled. “The mistress has vanished.”


Chapter End