InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where the heroes lay ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]
Kagome sighed in frustration, as she squinted her eyes and looked down at her hands. Growling lightly she focused on her energy as she channeled it to her hands. She was trying to combine her chakra and miko Ki. Or at least making it so they could work evenly together, so far it wasn't working out to well. She had been here four a month total now, and these last two weeks she had begun working at the hospital. Yesterday she had worked a double shift, thankfully she had also gotten paid yesterday and had today off otherwise she didn't know what she would have done, these past two weeks she had been feeling incredible drained. Healing Sasuke of his tainted blood, had taken a lot more out of her then she had originally thought it would.

Which is why she was training as she was right now, there weren't many demons in this 'world' the ones that were here, were already sealed within hosts. So she had no problems with any of them, But she still wanted to keep her miko abilities up to date, encase she had another case as Sasuke was. She really wished Keade was here, or she had some of her grandfathers old scrolls both of those things, had helped with her training the past four years.

Kagome huffed in annoyance, looking at the clock on her wall she frowned. She had been training today for four hours now, and still nothing. Sighing she propped herself with her back against the wall, waiting for her legs to loose the numbness they had obtained for sitting in one position for a long period of time.

That was a good amount of time of training, she may just be wiped out from how much she has been working at her job. Hearing her stomach growl she blushed, glad that no one had been here to hear it. She hadn't eaten since last night, so maybe it will be better to go out and get some fresh air. Looking at the clock once more, she thought it over. Her brother wanted to have dinner tonight, but he wouldn't be done with his shift for another two or four hours. She could eat again by then, nodding to herself in agreement she stood cautiously from her sitting position. Her legs were no longer numb, but they did feel as though she had little needles in them.

Stretching, she walked towards the door. She was already dressed in her casual clothing, so all she needed now was her shoes. Putting them on, she grabbed her wallet before leaving her home, making sure to lock the door before she actually left. The last time she had left it unlocked, she had gotten yelled at.

Shaking her head, to clear that memory, she quickly made her way down the steps and into the streets of the city.

Kagome hummed lightly as she made her way through the busy streets of Konoha. She was hungry, that she knew. But she didn't know what exactly she was hungry for, everything sounded okay. Since she had the money, it didn't really matter where she went. She just didn't feel like cooking at home yet, she had to do that for dinner anyways.

“Kagome!!” A voice yelled.

Kagome turned to the direction of the voice, and smiled brightly as a young blond boy came running towards her. “Hey Naruto” she greeted when he reached her.

“Hey Kagome” he replied, “What are you doing?” he questioned.

Kagome smiled, “I was just thinking about getting something for lunch, what about you? I thought you were on a mission?”

Naruto nodded enthusiastically, “Yeah, we just came back. Actually, Kakashi-Sensei said he'd take us out for lunch why don't you come along?” he asked.

Kagome thought it over, having lunch with someone would be nice. Besides that, knowing Naruto it would probably be ramen, and she hasn't had that for awhile.

“Naruto, don't force people to do things.”

Kagome looked up at the speaker, ah yes,she had forgotten he was Naruto's teacher. Kagome smiled at him in greeting, “I'd love to go with you guys, I'll pay for my own meal don't worry.” she replied, the last part was more directed towards Kakashi. Turning her attention back to Naruto, she questioned. “I'm guessing that we are going to get ramen?”

Naruto nodded, “Of course, there is nothing else good to eat.” he stated, before grabbing her arm and tugging her in the direction of the ramen stand, all the while hurrying his team to follow.

* * *

with Kotetsu around the same time

* * *

Kotetsu yawned as he let his head fall to the hard surface of the desk. He was bored, and not a little bit bored, but extremely bored. He and Izumo were on gate duty again, and today Konoha had no special visitors, and the only ones that had come back from their missions some far, had been Kakashi and his team.

Leaving Kotetsu with nothing to do but sit here, and watch as the leafs blew by in the wind. He really wished that he could take a nap, to pass the time until his shift was up. But, he knew if he did that then Izumo would be mad and call him a slacker, and it will turn into one giant thing. As the Nara's would say, that would be just to troublesome to deal with.

Kotetsu was brought out of his thoughts as Izumo called his name. Looking up at his best friend, and guarding partner from over his arm. He replied, “Yes, Izumo?”

Izumo sighed, “I was wondering, about Kagome..” he stated, hoping that would get Kotetsu to at least sit up straight. He wasn't disappointed, as Kotetsu's attention was instantly on him at his newly found sister's name.

“What about her?” Kotetsu questioned.

Izumo sighed slightly, he didn't know how to phase this without getting Kotetsu upset. “I was just wondering, you haven't seen her for over sixteen years. She was assumed dead. You have only known her again for a month now, so why are you so protective?” he asked.

Kotetsu turned his attention towards the sky,frowning he replied, “Its just, when my family was killed, as you said everyone thought she was dead. But in a way, I've always known she was still alive, there wasn't a moment I wasn't thinking about her. I had gotten worried. I mean, would it have been better if she had died? That way she wouldn't be alone in the world.” Sighing he continued, “When she came to this village, grown, alive and well. I felt ecstatic and like I was full again you know? I'm just afraid that in some way, she may leave me again.” he stated, feeling rather stupid for confessing all of that to his friend.

He knew Kagome wouldn't leave him again, she had said multiple times that she wouldn't leave him, Or this village. But he still was slightly scared, he knew he may be over doing it with the protectiveness but he'd be damned if just some average shinobi, or village citizen would try and get his sister, no way. He couldn't protect her back then, but he sure as hell would now.

Izumo nodded in agreement to his friends explanation, it was only human nature to be protective of something you love, no matter how long it had been since you had seen that thing, or person. Family is still family.

Kotetsu smiled at Izumo's understanding, that was why the man was his best friend. Yawning he laid his head back down onto the desk, “Now if you'd excuse me, I'm going to take a nap.” he stated.

Izumo felt his eye twitch at his friends behavior, “What do you mean nap? We are on duty here.” he replied, annoyed.

Kotetsu sighed, “You just made me share my feelings with you, causing emotional distress. I think that calls for a nap. Besides, only for half an hour, it won't hurt any.”

Izumo huffed, and turned away. “Whatever” he mumbled back in reply.

Kotetsu smirked, before closing his eyes and letting himself drift into a light sleep.

* * *

Back with Kagome at lunch

* * *

Kagome listened intently as Naruto went through his latest mission for her as they waited for their food to be served, Sakura adding things in to the tale every once in awhile.

As she listened Kagome looked at Naruto's other two team mates, Sasuke and his Sensei Kakashi. Both had somewhat similar personalties, as Naruto and Sakura did. When Sakura and Naruto were loud, and voiced their opinions, Sasuke and Kakashi were quiet and hardly talked unless necessary.

Kagome sighed, although they were quiet, and from what Naruto had told her, about Kakashi would rather train Sasuke then him. She knew that these three people were some of the few, that gave the blond boy a chance.

Since healing Sasuke, she had seen Naruto a lot. After a few moments of spending time with the boy it was hard not to love him, though he was loud he was very sweet, and loyal. Two good points in her book. When she asked her brother why they villagers were so rude to Naruto, he said he couldn't say.

Though after spending time with him, she was able to recognize the energy she had felt before, he had a demon within him, a kitsune to be more exact.

Kagome could instantly tell the blond wasn't the demon inside him, just a jailer for it. So she didn't know how the villagers could treat him the way they do. For one thing, demons of most kind when they get out of the 'kit' stage are cold and aloof to most things. Glancing at the silver haired male beside her, she hummed. If anyone would be a 'demon' by personalty it would be him. Naruto was loud and anything but aloof, so if anything, he was the opposite of what a 'demon' is by nature.

Kagome was pulled from her thoughts, as her food was set in front of her, thanking the owners for the food, she and the others dug into their meal.

Half way through the meal, Naruto began talking again.
“Hey Kagome, I've been meaning to ask you, how come you were able to rid Sasuke's mark, when not even Kakashi, who is good at seals. Or Tsunade one of the top ninja that can heal, couldn't do it?”he questioned.

Kagome finished chewing what was in her mouth, before replying with a shrug. “My whole 'life' I had lived on a shrine. When I was fifteen, I was forced to call upon my miko powers, though they are still weak. After four years of training, I have been able to strengthen them some what, though I'm still hoping to reach the same level as my mentor, Keade had.” Catching her breath, she continued her explanation. “Miko powers in their own can heal, and rid evil things. In all honesty, I thought it would just stabilize the curse mark, not rid it completely, so I was surprised by that.” she replied.

Naruto looked thoughtful for a moment, before nodding and continuing to eat. The rest of the meal was spent in silence.

After eating, and paying the five of them went outside the shop. Naruto yawned, “Well I'm beat, I think I'm going to go home later!” he stated, before disappearing in an orange blur.

Sakura turned towards Sasuke, “Sasuke, do you want to take a walk with me?” she questioned. Sasuke sighed, “Not tonight, Sakura. I'm going home too, night!” he replied, before leaving in the same fashion as Naruto had.

Sakura sighed, before bidding Kakashi and Kagome goodbye.

Kagome suddenly felt nervous, sure she had been in the same room or near him before, but she had never been alone with Kakashi yet. Sighing, Kagome stretched before turning towards Kakashi, who was standing there looking as awkward as she felt.

“Well, I'm going to go and get to the bookstore before it closes. See ya!” she stated, before walking in the direction the store was in.

She stopped however, as Kakashi called for her to wait, a few seconds later he joined her side. “I need to go there too, So I'll come with you.” he stated,

Kagome nodded, and they both continued walking. The walk was spent in a fairly comfortable silence, soon enough the two reached their destination. Kagome was silently glad that the store hadn't been to far from where they had eaten dinner. Kakashi held the door open for Kagome, she thanked him and quickly walked inside. Nodding In greeting towards the owner of the store, she quickly went through the aisles, grabbing books that she wanted to buy. Her eyes widened as she approached the cashier, thats right, she had promised her brother she would get him that book. She snorted at that thought, sure the book was well written and had a fantastic story line, but it had a little to much smut for her. Shaking her head, she turned and went towards where the book was at, silently wondering where Kakashi had gotten too.

She smiled and nearly yipped in joy, as she spotted that they still had one of the new books left. Rearranging her books, she reached out a free hand to grab the book. Only to get stopped by another hand, she looked towards the owner of said hand and noticed Kakashi looking at her strangely. She blushed, “I was getting it for my brother'” she stated. Obviously embarrassed.

Kakashi smirked underneath his mask, “Of course, Of course. But sadly I have been looking forward to this book, could your 'brother' wait a little longer, for the next shipment to come in.”he questioned.

Kagome rolled her eyes, at how Kakashi had said brother, as if he thought she was actually getting the book for herself. “No, he can't He has been whining about this book for a few weeks.”

Kakashi shrugged his shoulders, as he grabbed the book. “I'll let him, borrow it after I'm done.”

Kagome glared at the mask nin, “Stop doing that!” she exclaimed, getting annoyed.

Kakashi smiled, and chuckled lightly. “Stop doing what?” he questioned teasingly.

Kagome huffed, as she shifted her hold on the books. “Making it sound like I'm getting it for me.”

Kakashi shook his head, chuckling he walked past her and towards the cashier. Kagome grumbled but followed after him. After they both paid for their books, they left the store. Kagome looked at the watch as she left, and cursed. “Ah, I need to get home. Thanks for coming with me!” she stated, she hadn't noticed THAT much time had passed. Her brother was already off, and probably at her house now.

Kakashi nodded, “No problem, do you need help home?” he asked.

Kagome rose an eyebrow in question at that, “Your helping me, how gentlemanly of you Hatake”

Kakashi shrugged, “Ah well you know me, I enjoy helping damsels in distress”

Kagome glared at him momentarily before shaking her head, laughing lightly. “That's fine, I wouldn't want to keep you from your books” she stated with a smirk. Before waving goodbye to him, and starting home.

Kakashi rolled his eyes, before shrugging his shoulders and making his way to his home too.

* * *