InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ While You Were Sleeping ❯ While You Were Sleeping ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
While You Were Sleeping

He walked down the path, following their scents. He had woken up to find Kagome and Inuyasha gone, which worried him since it was the middle of the night. His nose had followed their scents until he reached a small clearing which overlooked the lake that they were camping by. There down on the bank he saw Kagome sitting in the grass and Inuyasha standing next to her. Both were staring up at the starry sky.
He saw Inuyasha's ear twitch, and he suddenly the hanyou turned his head to look at him. "What are you doing here runt?" he snapped.Kagome turned to look at him too. "Shippo, are you alright? I something wrong?"Shippo shook his head and came over to Kagome. "I woke up and you two were gone, and I was worried," he said.
Inuyasha rolled his eyes as Kagome took Shippo into her lap. The little kitsune cuddled to her, and she stroked his head gently. "We couldn't sleep, so we came here to do some star gazing," she said gently to the little ball of fur in her lap.
Shippo nodded, and let himself be relaxed by Kagome's stroking. "I was worried that some monster had taken you away or somthin'," he murmured.
They both heard Inuyasha 'keh' beside them, but neither said anything to the hanyou. "You think I wouldn't have protected her?" he finally muttered.Kagome smiled. "No one is doubting you Inuyasha," she said sweetly, earning herself another 'keh.'
She sighed as she kept stroking the small child in her lap, until his breathing became deep, and he could no longer hear what they were saying from his slumber.
Kagome shivered a little in the cool night air, and was surprised to feel heat beside her as Inuyasha sat down next to her. He had taken off his haori, and placed it around her shoulders as he sat. "I'm not cold," she said a little defensively."Shut up and wear it wench. You were shivering, therefore you were cold. I'm not going to have you getting sick and having to go back to your era to go to one of those 'hospital' things," InuYasha said, trying to sound all high-and-mighty, rather than concerned.Kagome giggled. "Thank-you," she said."Keh."
They sat in silence for a few moments. Inuyasha finally dared to look down at the girl sitting next to him. Her eyes were turned to the starry sky, and she didn't even notice him staring at her. He gazed at her face, and marveled at how her whole being was accentuated by the soft glow of the moon and stars.
Her black hair had a silver sheen to it in the moonlight, and her eyes sparkled with the twinkle of a million stars. He wanted to reach out and touch the skin on her face, to see if it really was as smooth and warm as it looked.
Damn, I shouldn't be thinking like this. I should be focusing on finding the jewel shards, not about how beautiful Kagome looks. He stopped his thoughts as he contemplated the phrase his mind had just produced. Beautiful…yes, I guess that is true. She looks so comfortable with Shippo in her lap, almost like a mother with her pup... He studied her, wanting to drink in every detail of her, and he did this so intently that he did not even notice the fact that her eyes had turned to look at him, a curious expression on her face.She felt his gaze sweeping across her, and was surprised that he did not stop when she looked at him. His eyes seemed to be focused on her completely, and she shivered under his gaze. It wasn’t until his eyes fully met hers did he realize that she was staring back at him.
He looked at the lake right away, a streak of blush across his face. "What are you staring at wench?" he snapped, his voice an octave higher than usual.
Kagome smiled, and slowly leaned on Inuyasha's shoulder. She felt him tense for a brief second, then wrap his arm around her as though by instinct. She giggled. "Hey, stop that. I just don't want you to fall asleep and fall backward and hit your head on a rock, or somethin', ok?" he said defensively, then noticed how sappy it sounded. "I mean, then who would detect shards for us?" he said, trying to cover up.Kagome didn't say anything, only snuggled closer to him and let her eyes drift shut. He felt her slowly falling asleep, until she leaned against him limply, completely oblivious to her surroundings. Inuyasha held her closer, listening to the sound of her heartbeat.She makes the world seem so peaceful. I don't want her to leave me. We're so close to completing the jewel…she'll want to go back to her time after that, once Naraku is gone. She'll want to go back to take her 'test' things and be with her friends at that 'mall' place. He sighed softly. I don't care where she is, as long as I can be with her. I'll even let her sit me once in a while. He smiled to himself a little as he rested his head on top of hers.

He heard Shippo stir in Kagome's lap, so he lifted his head to look at the Kitsune. "Inuyasha…I was so afraid when I woke up and you two were gone. Will you always protect Kagome?" the little child asked, still half asleep."Of course I will runt. Now shut up and go to sleep," Inuyasha replied, somewhat gently.
Shippo nodded slightly, and snuggled deeper into Kagome's stomach. After a few minutes, everything was quiet again. Inuyasha looked down at the two forms he was holding."Of course I will," he whispered to himself. "I love her too much," he said, then paused. "Please don't ever leave me Kagome." With that, he lay his head once again on Kagome's.He never knew that when Shippo had spoken to him, Kagome had woken up. He also never knew that neither of them had fallen back asleep, and that the secret smile that each one had on their lips was due to his last words.

~Disclaimer~
I do not own the rights to InuYasha or any of the characters. That honour belongs to Rumiko Takahashi, and I am simply a lowly author who can use her characters for my plots.