InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ White Flag ❯ White Flag ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I redid this thing, because there were some error's that were glaring at me. Now, I'd like to say to those that have commented on this in the past:


This is a oneshot, it was not meant to be continued after I posted it. However, I may make something of a sequel, through Inuyasha's mind. But not one of those POV's, because I hate those. This is a MIGHT because I have many other stories I'm working on at the moment. Of which you also won't see for a while, because I have a problem with posting unfinished things.


I disclaim all rights to Inuyasha, because quite simply, the anime is not mine. It belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Viz, and and many others. I am merely using the characters, the basic storyline and the setting and twisting it slightly for my (and hopefully others) entertainment.






"Three years. Three agonizingly long years since he last came to see me..."


When Kagome had turned seventeen they had won the battle with Naraku. Miroku being free of his curse now, had asked Sango to live with him; to marry. Sango, blushing like a lamb, accepted almost to quickly. Kagome, naturally had stayed for the ceremony. But she had felt out of place, reason being that in the battle she had been forced to let Kikyou die. Inuyasha, in a fit of rage lashed out at her. Kagome had hoped he would have gotten over it over the year that passed after the wedding, but he hadn't.


She rarely ever saw him after the wedding, and whenever she did, he'd look at her with cold golden glaciers. He had called her a murderer, and the other typical names he normally addressed her with.


I know you think that I shouldn't still love you

I'll tell you that

But if I didn't say it

Well, I'd still have felt it

Where's the sense in that?


She couldn't stand there and take it anymore, so she left for home, the last time to see the luscious forest, never again to witness the fish swimming up stream; to see the uncountable numbers of stars in the night sky. Never again to look upon her beloved's face, or to hear his coarse voice as he went on about how weak humans were.


In the three years she had been away, she had gone to America to study, they weren't as hard on their students, especially females in that country. It amazed her the difference of the two learning systems, so it took her awhile to get used to it. It took longer than usual to adapt though, her heart was still hurting.


I promise I'm not trying to make your life harder

Or return to where we were


She'd returned home just the other day for vacation, and now; oh now she was standing where it all began. This tree had played it's part in many woes. One came to mind quickly, but no, it wasn't the tragic end to Kikyou's life. It was a more recent memory.


"Get away, all you do is cause me trouble! Go back to your home and give them bad luck!" The hanyou roared at her.


"But Inuyasha! I had no choice! Please.... Please don't hate me...." She whimpered back, tears falling from her eyes like small crystals.


"How can you say that... She had been looking to you for help, and you didn't give it!" He took a step closer to her, threatening gleam in his molten eyes.


"Naraku had made it impossible for me to move, Inuyasha! I would have helped her... Oh Kami, Inuyasha, I would have died to help her for you. I'd do anything for you..." She was practically watering the old tree with her distressed tears. She backed away slightly when he barred his teeth, forgetting for the moment that he would never harm her.


"Don't lie to me, Bitch. Naraku wasn't even paying attention to you!" He tossed back at her, the branch he gripped in his hand nearly shattering in his claws.


"He had more control than that, Inuyasha!"She sobbed, "It's why you were able to make that last blow..."


"I don't believe you!" he hissed, "Get out of my sight! I don't want to deal with this right now!"


That was the last time she ever talked to him, right next to this tree. She'd left immediately afterwards, she hadn't been able to stand his attitude, how could he not believe her? Cold fury had spread through her that day, only to be doused when she climbed out of the well on her side. She vowed only to return when she felt her love for him make it's leave. It had yet to do such a thing.


Well I will go down with this ship

And I won't put my hands up and surrender

There will be no white flag above my door

I'm in love and always will be


"Maybe it wouldn't hurt to go back... I doubt I'll see him, anyway! And even if I do, it doesn't matter. I so wish to see how Sango and Miroku are... And Shippou, I never said good bye to him. That's it, I'm going to see my friends. Inuyasha has nothing to do with it whatsoever!"


...


"Or maybe I want to see if he's forgiven me..."



She placed her hand on the rim of the rotted well, "amazing how this thing could stand for five hundred years... Hell, I remember it being rotted back then, too..." She thought with awe. Hoisting herself up so that her legs dangled on the inside, she let out a sigh, it felt like it was only yesterday she last came back home from Shard Hunting to do her well needed tests.


"Will he ever forgive me? I know for him to love me is to much to hope for... But I've always been too optimistic, something I tried to change these passed three years..."


"Maybe I was too rash to leave like that... It could be he was just in a very, very bad mood... For a very long time. But it hurt so much."


I know I left too much mess

And destruction to come back again

And I caused nothing but trouble

I understand if you can't talk to me again

And if you live by the rules of "It's over"

Then I'm sure that that makes sense


"I won't give up on it. If he still hates me, I'll change it, goddammit! I was a cowered then; not now. Never again."



"I have no doubt that he'll still hate me... In some way. But maybe... It's washed away enough with time, that I can't make things right again."


With that last thought, she fell through the well again; awaiting to return to the time that was forgotten; the time where anything was possible, and probable; where monsters roamed and her one and only love resided.


And when we meet

As I'm sure we will

All that was then

Will be there still

I'll let it pass

And hold my tongue

And you will think

That I've moved on


The bright blue lights passed her by, and she stared in wonder at them. They were like her memories, she had tried so hard to push them away and for so long they stayed. Now they burst forth, making her eyes well with more tears at the times she could recall, the happy moments that were shattered by a simple misunderstanding.


Once she reached the end of that nostalgic tunnel, the smell of old dirt and rotted wood over came her. And up she looked, through the mouth of the well she no longer saw the boarded ceiling and puffy clouds of white greeted her. The old vines she used long ago still hung strongly to the wooden walls, and she began to climb them again.


"Kagome? ...Is that you?" A young, but now much older and shy voice echoed throughout the clearing that came into view when she reached the top. She knew very well who it was, and again tears welled up behind her eyes' as she turned to her visitor in surprise. He looked older, perhaps thirteen, his hair had grown to his shoulder but was still held back in a high ponytail; his clothes seemed the same as she remembered them, only much bigger. His blue green eyes' stared at her in disbelief as he tried to comprehend that he wasn't seeing things: although he probably still thought he was, she had given no reason for him to think otherwise.


"Shippou...?" Her voice was cracked from her held back sobs. She brought herself further out of the well, her feet skimming the long grass. The clearing hadn't change in the slightest since she left, the wild flowers and moss still nearly completely covered the well, and the grass brushed against the old wood of the well exactly as she remembered.


She kept her hands on the wells rim as she slowly stood, careful in keeping her balance. Truth was, she wasn't sure she'd be able to walk. Seeing him so much older made her feel like she lost something so important, something priceless. She had almost always thought of him as a son, and when she hadn't, she thought of him as her brother.


He brought his head up to the air, sniffing lightly, his eyes' widened almost immediately. He launched himself at her instantly knocking her over with his added weight, she didn't remember him being this heavy. "Kagome!! It's been so long! Why did you have to leave?!"



Well I will go down with this ship

And I won't put my hands up and surrender

There will be no white flag above my door

I'm in love and always will be



"It's wonderful to see you again, Kagome-chan! I couldn't begin to tell you how we've missed you!" Was Sango's excited declare.


"I've missed you all, as well" Kagome was crying full force, she hadn't let herself cry when she was in public at home, she hadn't wanted her family and friends to worry about her, least of all her health, thanks to her Jii-chan everyone has handled her with kid gloves. She was currently sobbing into Shippou's shoulder as he hugged her, he'd yet to let her go since he found her at the well.


She was hesitant to ask about Inuyasha, but she had to know, she would have died of ignorance if she didn't know. "How.... is Inuyasha...?" she whispered.


She could plainly see the fear in their eyes when she asked; they knew what Inuyasha had said, he wasn't shy about yelling at her. Someone miles away could have heard what he said.


"Hn... Kagome, are you sure you want to see him?" The usually jovial monk queried carefully.


"No." She said quickly, "But I have to... I promised myself: I'm not going to let him hate me for something I couldn't have helped." She replied with a wavering voice. She was so afraid of what might happen, she feared he would still hate her and send her away.


"Very well, Kagome-sama. The best place to check is the God Tree, it's the only place I could think of finding him." Miroku suggested.


"I think I will. Right now... I'm heading out the door right now. ...On the road out of town to the forest, passed the trees...." She wasn't actually doing any of what she said, she was looking dazedly at the door, contemplating running for the well before Inuyasha caught her scent.


"Perhaps, Kagome-sama, you should rest before you see Inuyasha again...? This has taken much out of your energy."


"I'll be fine, I need to get this over with when I have the courage." With that, she fallowed through with her earlier narration. Walking out of the hut, down the road, out of the village, and through the trees. Each step felt heavier, and heavier the closer she got. Fear clenched it's dark, icy tendrils over her heart as she saw the top of the God Tree through the green canopy.


Well I will go down with this ship

And I won't put my hands up and surrender

There will be no white flag above my door

I'm in love and always will be


The clearing in which the God Tree resided was bigger then she remembered, broken trees littered the forest floor, claw marks embedded in the bark implying an angry animal knocking them over in it's rage. It was fitting, she thought briefly as she recalled all the time Inuyasha acted less human than he was.


She could clearly see him through the foliage of the mighty tree, the red a beacon in the vast greenery. He was asleep, his face looking innocent like a child. How she had longed to see that face again, to touch his cheek, to pet his ears. How she had longed those passed years to hear his gruff voice; even if it was a yell at her incompetence.


"Inuyasha....."


I will go down with this ship

And I won't put my hands up and surrender

There will be no white flag above my door

I'm in love and always will be