InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Whose Child is This? ❯ A day in the life of... ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~Sesshoumaru's P.O.V.~~
 
I awoke the next morning with Kagome's hair tickling my nose. Smoothing her hair down and out of the way I gazed upon her tiny features giving a small smile at her adorable pout. Giving her a gentle shake I watched as she slowly rose to consciousness.
 
"Hmm. Sess-hou-maru…" She mumbled.
 
"Time to wake little one. Time to choose your furniture and wall colors." She rubbed her eyes and then smiled up at me.  
 
"Okay!" she giggled as I felt her excitement grow. I knew last night had made her tired but it seemed it also made her forget what today was.
 
She rolled off the high bed and dashed for the connecting room. Getting up myself I rose to get a shower and dressed. An hour later I met my little one in the kitchen where she was hurriedly eating her pancakes and eggs.
 
"Slow down Kagome. The stores won't open up for an hour or so yet. But I do want to go over your choice of wall colors I have a paint chart in my office from my remodel and you can chose a color or colors from it."
 
"Sesshoumaru if I choose colors I like now how long do I have to keep it? I didn't get to choose in my old room since my parents painted it before I was born and Kikyo wouldn't let me change it." She had her eyes down and I could tell this was a big decision in her mind where she might go bolder if she could repaint later or maybe more subdued now if it was going to be for a while.
 
"While I would prefer that you kept your walls the color you choose for a while I cannot say you won't be able to repaint it later. I will let you decide if you need a new color, hmm, how about every two years or if you feel very strongly that they do not suit you anymore. You are still in a child's mindset even if you are very smart. I won't hold your choice over you forever." Nodding her head seriously she had a thinking look upon her face as she gazed out the breakfast bay window.
 
"Can I paint it? I mean I know you said I could paint a mural and I want to but if I covered my walls in them? I think I would like that better than other kinds of art."
 
"It is your room Kagome. As long as they are not outlandish then I have no trouble you covering your walls in art."
 
"Thanks Sesshoumaru. I really am glad you are not as strict as Kikyo. I think we are going to get along great!" She smiled again and I felt something give a little in my heart at the amount of admiration I saw in her eyes. I have only known her for a few months and while the relationship was going to build gradually I was starting to realize that I wouldn't be able to truly live without her. Letting the bond open wide our mutual peace lasted through the rest of breakfast and idle chitchat and followed us up to my office.
 
Pulling the thick stack or colors from my desk I set it down and spread it out for Kagome to look at. She thumbed through them one and pulled three sections out and was happy to see none of them were pink. Off shades of red and purple were the two she was obliviously thinking more about but there was a stick or two of green.
 
Shaking her head she spread out all the lighter red and purples and again started choosing only a few color cards. Finally after almost a full hour of quiet deliberation on her part while I ordered her school books and supplies online to have ready to be picked up while we were out, she reached her decision.
 
"I want my mural wall a light blue with the white still in the center for when I paint my mural. The bedding needs to be white and purple while the room a deep red (like single sparks background, hehe couldn't resist!).” Kagome said firmly. Amused at her serious tone I nodded sagely and we set out.
 
~~While Later~~
 
We went to the paint store first and I hired a crew to go paint the room as specified by Kagome. Next we went to the furniture store and I watched as she walked all over the show room. I was surprised that she didn't pick one of the more kid style beds near the front but continued to follow her as she dashed from one set to another. She would sit on one mattress and feel the covers and then get up and move to the next.
 
Near the corner of the store there was a black iron bed with roses and lilies intertwined around the posts and made it seem very elegant. She smiled and ran over and ran her hand along each one marveling at the workmanship. I didn't blink at the price for I could tell this was the one she wanted. It felt right that with her white and purple scheme that this would indeed be the bed she wanted. Kagome came back to my side and titled her head up to me.
 
“I like this one Sesshoumaru! It's just prefect!” And I nodded and the clerk that was following me around though loosely was still nearby.
 
“I will take this one.” I raised my voice only a little and the sniveling little man immediately came forward and nodded as he quickly wrote down the item and the price.
 
“Anything else sir?”
 
“Yes I want white bedding and lavender drapes for the bed. I want it delivered tonight.” Giving the man the look he deserved I watched as he tried to swallow as he nodded.
 
“What would you like the sheets to be? Silk, velvet, cotton, sateen, or maybe bamboo?” Thinking about it I realized I didn't know what Kagome preferred. Opening the link I repeated the list and a few more to Kagome and I felt that she liked silk, velvet, and Egyptian cotton. Thinking to perhaps keeping it simple I describe that I want the Egyptian cotton sheets with a silk comforter and almost see through lavender cotton panels.
Kagome smiled at the order and I knew it would fit her well. The bond was already deepening and I knew it wouldn't be much longer before the bond solidified. Being done in the violent manner that it had, it would take a while for the energy to calm down and stabilize. We left the store after leaving directions and paying of course.
 
A short stop at a restaurant that I liked and was mostly human run so I had no need to explain the bond between Kagome and I was made. Kagome giggled at the menu it being in English and asked me to order for her. I made sure her diet was seen to for a growing girl and made my usual order. Again our meal was mostly silence except for a few comments on the things we had purchased thus far. She stared dreamily into space at the thought of her bed and it made me smile inside to see her so happy.
 
The last stop was the supply store that I had ordered her school things from. Since she was going to be taught from home I didn't have to worry about a backpack or school tool boxes. Though I did order a desk I thought would work for her also from the same store. The store was luckily only 20 minutes from home and that made the stop quick.
 
Kagome had dosed off in the front seat as I loaded the things she would need and the desk that was in a box and not yet assembled. I wondered if I dare let her try and put it together or if I should just have one of the man servants do it. I knew Kagome would find it strange to see butlers this day in age but I found having a manservant who was also a tailor very convenient. Being a man I didn't have to worry about him drooling over me and Susumu Saga had been in my service for 25 years. He was respectful to me and my guests and had yet to break my confidence in him.
 
He had undertaken moving things in my walk in closet to allow Kagome some room so that she would not have to go back to her room for everything. I knew we would have to go shopping for more outfits since she would stay the same size longer than most girls and I had the feeling she was not easy on her clothes. At least it would give Susumu more things to do. I chuckled at the thought.
 
Getting home was quick since there was little traffic on the outskirts where my house was. Gently taking Kagome I motioned for Aiko and Susumu to take the things to the second office which was next to mine. I laid her down on my bed since her room was still being painted and let her rest as I made some last minute phone calls to have the office changed so that there was a dry erase board and more of a school feel to the office.
 
I let Susumu do the desk since Kagome would probably sleep till close to dinner. I let Aiko plan the dinner menu for Mr. and Mrs. Fushin, since I didn't care what we had. I contacted my father and arranged for Inuyasha to take any meetings I had for the next couple of weeks so that I could settle Kagome in and make sure the teachers worked out.
 
Life was slowly settling back down and as long as nothing untoward happened then maybe this taking a mate thing would not mess things up to badly. The last thing on my mental list to do was to find a music teacher and an art one. Kagome mentioned she liked music and painting so to make sure she was well rounded I needed a teacher for those things.
 
Aiko came in and placed a small tray of molasses cookies on the corner of my desk and smiled as she left. The tempting little things called to my nose and my stomach. I rarely had them made for I was known to devour trays of the scrumptious cookies. Something in me loved the old fashioned taste of the molasses in the cookies. My hand reached out on its own accord and snatched one. Bring it up to my nose I took a deep breath and savored the smell before it was quickly tossed into my mouth and devoured. In very short order the tray was gone and in set the little happy feeling that while I enjoyed, it made me think of the common dog and its little content feeling it got when they got a belly rub or a treat. The comparison always made me want to vow off the cookie forever but the smell always drug me back so I allowed this one weakness and just let the little warm content feeling had its was for a short time before I resumed my usual self.
 
~~ Kagome's P.O.V.~~
 
I awoke feeling much better but the light has definitely dimed outside. Realizing that it must be close to supper I couldn't help but feel excited to meet my new teacher and his wife. Fluffy said at lunch that his wife might become a maid for the house and maybe my personal one to help me keep my room clean and if she had the skills to teach my etiquette. I knew I wasn't the best with my manners since I always said the first thing that popped into my head and I belatedly remembered to thank fluffy for the laptop. I needed to work on that.
 
Slipping out of bed I went to my bathroom and brushed my hair and teeth. Going into my closet I choose a summer dress that had lilies on it and made my to the study/office of Fluffy! Knocking on it I heard him say `enter' and I skipped inside.
 
“I see you are ready for supper Kagome. Are you looking forward to Meeting Mr. Fushin?”
 
“Yep! This is the first time I get a private tutor for my priestess powers and weapons training. I mean Kikyo taught me a little about the bow and arrow and Kaede taught me a little about a staff but they really concentrated one my school work. So this is all new to me! It's great!” I clapped my hands together as I nodded excitedly.
 
“Supper should be in another Forty-five minutes So why don't you read you subscriptions and email you pen pals your new address so that you can still get your mail?” I nodded my head and dashed back to my room for my laptop and rushed back. Stepping up on a coffee table I grabbed a pillow and quickly visited my favorite sites and emailed my friends me new address. Though we mailed each other letters sometimes we also emailed. But actually writing the letter in another language was harder and therefore better if you are studying a foreign language.
 
Time flew by and before I knew it Aiko came in to announce supper. I shut everything off and waited for Fluffy to finish. He placed his papers back into a folder and came round and took my hand.
 
It was surprising what Aiko had done to the table and I wished I had more training for formal dinners as I saw the full silverware out and the usual three pieces. Fluffy gave me the chair to his right and took his as we waited for our guests to show. It wasn't much later when the door rang and Susumu got it. I had met the manservant once in the hall this morning when I was rushing to the kitchen for breakfast. I hadn't realized there were more servants in the house but Aiko said that there was about 8 full time employees and one that was probably leaving was a little snit called Yura. She was obsessed with fluffy's hair and he was tired of it. Fluffy mentioned that is why Mr. Fushin's wife might become the new maid at lunch today.
 
When they were escorted in Mr. Fushin was in a monk's robes and carried a staff with a brass top with rings on it that jingled when the staff tapped the floor. His wife wore a summer dress as well but hers was blue to my white and had just leaves to my lilies. Both had typical black hair but Mr. Fushin had the prettiest violet eyes that I had ever seen. Smiling at them Fluffy introduced us.
 
“This is the girl I spoke of. Kagome Higurashi. Kagome meet Reizo and Yoroido Fushin.” I nodded as they bowed.
 
“Take a seat and we will begin supper.” Doing as they were told Aiko practically pounced as she brought out the appetizer.
 
“So Reizo have you anything to ask me or Kagome?”
 
“Well I do have some questions for Kagome as to her training.”
 
“Then ask.” Sesshoumaru said as if it was obvious.
 
“Kagome what kind of training have you received thus far?”
 
“I have learned mediation and how to keep mediating even under different weather conditions and distractions. I can shoot a bow and arrow though I have to get it to go where I want. I have also been able to charge it and it still could kill weaker youaki. My other sister taught a little about a staff and I am more comfortable with that weapon for it is easier. I know a few basic purifying techniques and spells. I have a sixth grade comprehension at the moment though I might have surpassed that since I haven't tested in a while. So I can understand more complicated ideas and abstracts when it comes to learning about my power. Umm I think that is about it.”
 
~~Reizo's P.OV.~~
 
As I listened to the girl list off what she could do in a well thought out and understandable manner I realized I was dealing with a very bright child. What she had learned so far was astonishing for one so young. I could easily feel her power but what seemed strange was the connection to the youkai. His green aura tinged hers ever so slightly. I was unsure if it was due to them being near each other for an extended period of time or something else but it did not seem to have any effect on her spirit or power so for now I ignored it. The rest of the night passed quickly as small talk was made and other questions asked. I had a feeling that I could train Kagome and that we would get along well. She was such a precious child.