InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why me? ❯ Yowameru ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is the start of my second story. For any of you that might recognize me from my previous story, I am sorry for the delay. I am sort of at a writing block for that story. I know where I want to go with it; I just don't know how to get there. Anyway feedback is always welcome, good or bad. All I ask for is honesty. Be warned this story is destined to take a darker turn and ratings may go up.

That Girl! He was always with THAT GIRL!

Kikyo felt herself rage at the remembrance of the couple. His behavior toward the girl was trifling. He acted as though nothing she did fazed him, but Kikyo could tell. His eyes swam with warmth for the brat. His facade was juvenile at best. His rants and idle cursing toward his "wench" were a mediocre attempt at salvaging his waning demon manhood.

*Sigh* Has she really affected you that much, beloved?

His eyes.......... Kikyo's breath caught in her chest as a sweet memory played in her heart. Ancient memories and regrets stung in her heart, and a longing swelled. He was supposed to be hers. Fate had demanded that the two were to be together. But, alas, sometimes even Fate cannot withstand the evils of the world.

I was supposed to be the one to soften your insolent eyes, InuYasha.

At that thought, Kikyo's own eyes grew soft and she knew that if her body possessed the ability to cry, she would have.

This miserable body. Is that why you chose her over me, my one? Can she offer you the warmth that this clay shell cannot?? Death took me away, but Fate will not let us be apart. It has chosen this body as vessel for us to be together. Was I not your first and true? The hate that I felt for you when I first awoke is gone. My knowledge of Naraku has cleansed me of my hate for you. But yet, hate still lingers in my heart. It has gone towards that girl. That wretched brat, who seems to now posses your heart. Why does it seem that you choose that damn child over me?? What does she offer you that I cannot? At this Kikyo eyes traced down her body and a sad smile overcame her lips. Ah, yes. Life. She offers you life. She has the warmth of a living body that any male would react to. So is it possible that it is not love you see in her, but my shadow in a warm body, Beloved?! Is she merely the temptress against our fate??

If only there was some way to relieve the child of her warmth. Past experience had taught the priestess that she could not kill miscreant child. Not only did the girl try to take away what was left of a shared and tattered soul, but InuYasha would hate her if she succeeded. In his delusions of love he was most likely prone to be irrational. If the girl were to die in battle then InuYasha might feel responsible for her death. Everything seemed impossible. No there had to be a way to negate the brat, before she entranced her InuYasha further. Everything would be so simple if the child would take her own life. That would save everyone so much trouble.

At that moment an idea raced through Kikyo's mind and she ran off in search of an ancient legend.

The Yowameru no Tamas. The Jewels of Sadness. Their legends state that each stone wishes for nothing more than death. They are filled with sorrow, drowning in pools of pity and self-loathing. Each are aware of their own hallow lives, and want nothing more that to end their meaningless existence. Their peace comes when some unsuspecting person stumbles across their path. If they are to touch, skin to stone, then a soul connection is made and their emotions are exchanged. The Yowameru becomes a parasite on the person and begins to suck the warmth and life out of them until its own void is filled. When it is satiated it becomes an empty and ordinary stone. Its tragic life ends, but it bestows its own sorrowful depression onto the unfortunate being who came across it.

And now one of these accursed stones was mere moments away from the hands of Kikyo. She was one of the first to ever come seeking out one of these stones. In her hate for InuYasha's companion she decided that her own existence was worth gambling over. But if her bet proved successful, then the young girl would soon die. After all................ Kikyo did have a borrowed soul.

The moment her deaden skin touched the Yowameru a connection was made. The jewel sensed that there was something wrong with the one that touched it, but a soul was a soul. It reached out, and tried to clasp onto the aura of the soul near it. All it found was a soul that was as cold and as empty as it was. This was its one chance at peace, and the one who had found it was equal to it in its sorrow. But again the jewel sensed that there was something not right about the one who held it, and expanded it awareness. Somewhere in the darkness, a great distance away, it sensed another piece of that same soul. Except that this piece seemed greater and more alive. It rejoiced at the emotional feast of love and joy that lay before it. Then the Yowameru connected and began to dine.

Somewhere near a burnt out camp fire, Kagome awoke with a start.