InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why me? ❯ Her ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own em........ should be kind of obvious. Thank you for the reviews! I really appreciate them.

Chapter 1

A sharp breath in the night had awoken him. Somewhere below him someone was stirring. He was laying in a high up branch of a lofty tree. Sleeping on such a tall perch had seemed like a good idea when he originally settled down for the night. But now that he was awake his back felt stiff.

Damnit........Fucking tree.

This tree, his bed for the night, was the only tree on an almost barren field. From his perch he could see for miles upon the empty, night cloaked plains. Nothing moved, not even the wind. Well, nothing except periodic for the blinking of an obviously awake Kagome.

Kagome.......

It was not unusual for the girl to wake up during the night. But it was strange that she did not rise. Usually she would come see him, or rise to fulfill some bodily function. Why was she now merely staring up at the sky? Her expression was blank and unchanging. Her only movements lie in her shallow breathing and irregular blinking.

InuYasha had grown accustomed to Kagome's face. At the first sight of her he had been taken aback by her resemblance to Kikyo. But the expressions that played in whirlwinds on Kagome's face could never have been seen on Kikyo. Kagome's face was always alight with hope and life, even when she was sad there was always something that glittered about her.

It wasn't only her face that had InuYasha mesmerized by her. It was the way she smelled, the way she laughed, the way she walked, the way she..... well the list was endless. She was one of the first humans, besides Kikyo, to accept him for who he was. There was no fear toward or any ill will. She had a strength and a passion that was all her own, and that was a trait rarely seen in humans. Sometimes she was infuriating, but that little nuisance could be overlooked in the long run.

So why did the girl, who was so alive with emotions, now lay awake, staring, as if held in a trance. InuYasha had seen more energy on her face when she was deep asleep that he did right at that moment.

After a few moments of debate, the half demon jumped down from his perch and landed silently next to the young girl. Kagome did not move at all, and made no indication that she knew InuYasha was there. Frustration and worry careened through his head, but all that would escape his lips was, "Oi, wench, why are you up?"

The girl that lie before him again made no movement to acknowledge that he was there, but at the sound of his words her breath caught. "Oi girl answer me." Slowly she began to turn her head towards him. The eyes that met him were not of Kagome's. These eyes seemed hollow and looked as though they longed for warmth. They looked as though they could shatter at any time, or merely break down and cry. The gaze that now held InuYasha reminded him of Kikyo.

"I was thinking. InuYasha," The girl spoke quietly and her face remained slack. Her words were as empty as her eyes. She sat up and let the blanket that was covering her fall to her waist. Slowly she turned to look around at the camp she was lying in. Several feet away were Sango and Miroku. Each curled up under their own blankets and sleeping peacefully. Kirara and Shippo were lying near Sango. Kagome looked around at the ones she had known for so long and then turned to stare at the man before her.

Long white hair graced his body. It had a disheveled look about it that made it seem as though InuYasha might not have slept well. Even in its untidiness, it shone. In the black of night his hair gleamed as though it were an earth-bound star. Invisible light played on each silver strand and charmed his figure as though he were royalty. Voluminous red robes hid his lean body, but Kagome had had glimpses before. Under all that cloth was something beautiful. Her gaze lingered upon his chest, until it reluctantly rose towards his face. Under silver bangs, eyes of fire and gold met hers. A look of furrowed concern sculpted his features. It was an expression that was rare to him. And although it made the night shadows grow darker upon his face; it did not take away any of his beauty. He was beautiful to her.

Their eyes met and a certain understanding was shared between them. Admiration for the other shone in each of their eyes. Normally under these circumstances the two would blush and look away quickly. But this time neither did. InuYasha was entranced the lack of her normal reactions to him and Kagome felt trapped by his gaze. Something flickered across Kagome's eyes that was unreadable to InuYasha. He did not realize what he was doing till her felt her breath upon his skin. He had leaned in to have a better view of her eyes, and had carelessly brought his face a mere breath away from hers. InuYasha expected some sort of protest from her, but was shocked when she simply closed her eyes. A lump formed in his throat and a heat crawled across his body. He was leaning into her to connect their lips, when she whispered softy, "InuYasha, I want to go home."