InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wish Upon A Star ❯ Stars ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: Don't own Inuyasha
Fandom: Inuyasha
Pairing: BankotsuxKagome Sango/Koga later Jakotsu/Inuyasha
Genre: Romance/Angst
Warning: Spoilers for the Shichinintai arc and with Kikyo, Shonen-Ai/Yaoi! (Boyxboy)
Rating: PG-13/15
Beta: None
Summary: She hated him. And he hated her. It was as simple as that. It was preordained that it was to be this way. They had no control over it. So when he died she celebrated with them. And when he died...she cried.
A/N: Gawd I'm so familiar with writing angst it's not funny. I'm taking liberty with Kagome's neck scar, it's just something I have thrown in.
Don't like, don't reach, don't bitch
Wish Upon A Star
SilverYoko
The day was too bright. It made her head hurt. She was back in her time. Back...she still had trouble wrapping her mind around that fact. The well had rejected her. She had come home and...hadn't been able to get back. Jumping down she waited to feel the soft pull of ancient magic and the bluish pink tint to the air. But all that happened was a broken ankle and weeks of worrying herself, literally, sick.
It couldn't have happened at a worse time for her. She knew when she left she was being selfish. But she couldn't stand Inuyasha's accusing glances anymore and her heart was too sick to stand and take it anymore. Sango knew. Even Shippo knew. Miroku suspected but kept his mouth shut. She hated how she had to tip toe around the fact. She was sick of fate screwing her over.
Her fingers threaded through her hair, catching and smoothing the few tangles there. Her mood hadn't improved at all since she'd been stuck in her time, her family being on the receiving end of one of her many snap attacks. She didn't mean to be rude to them but she wasn't used to being around them for so long. For a little over a year she had hardly seen her family and now she was thrown back into her old life.
She felt selfish for wishing for this all the time but when it finally happened she yearned for her old life...for him...but she shook her head violently. He was gone. She was being stupid even thinking that. She watched as Inuyasha sliced him in two, she watched as his eyes flickered to her form once more; his blank eyes barely registering anything as the slash in his throat had screwed with the shikon no kakera in his throat.
Her own small hands clutched her throat, the scar now vivid against her pale skin. Her fingers gently ran across the scar tissue a bitter smile curving her full lips. Her eyes burned, the familiar trickle of tears wetting her eyes. She had no idea why she let her mind wander so far, go so far into her imagery by conjuring up his last moments. The look in his eyes.
Biting back a sob Kagome sucked her lower lip between her teeth. Her mother had registered her back in school. Weeks had turned into months for her, they all blurred together now as she fell into the routine she had once taken advantage of. Which she still took advantage of.
Her heart ached horrible for her loss but also for the lives her friends were continuing. Shippo would be taken care of by Sango she knew. But what of Naraku? And Inuyasha? With Kikyo's death he had almost completely lost it. And with each morning the Wind tunnel further grew on her perverted houshi friend's hand.
If she admitted it...if she allowed herself to dwell she knew they would be okay without her. The budding relationship between Sango and Koga(1) had her all giddy for her friend. She wanted her friend to embrace the happiness that she had been so long deprived.
And while she was happy for Sango she hurt for Miroku. The houshi was deeply in love with the huntress and Sango seemed to have gotten tired of waiting. He had tried many times to proclaim her love but he was never taken seriously. Miroku knew that he had missed his chance with her and he spent little time being bitter over it.
The silver glint of tears in her eyes was little witness to the pain bubbling under the surface. While she was having to start over her friend's were living on in the life she had once created with them.
`It's all like a bubble...so fragile...so transparent. And it popped just as easily as those Sota and I used to have so much fun blowing as children..'
The back of her hand swiped at the tears that trickled down her flushed cheeks. In the mirror she looked just like a doll. Her cheeks were tinted with a blush, her lips red and parted. Tears glided down her cheeks as the scar around her neck stood out, her black hair framing her face and sliding over her shoulders to cover her breasts. Her slender hands at her throat once more.
Her shoulders shook with the force of her suppressed sob. Her blue grey eyes shimmering, and a frown tugging at the corner of her lips. She could speak nothing of this to her family. They all thought she was upset over not being able to see Inuyasha. And she just let them.
Move on. Everyone had told her that. Eiri, Ayame, Yuki believed it be over Hojo or something that her `abusive boyfriend' had done. And she let them believe that.
She had been sitting in front of her vanity for about two hours. For once she was up early for school. Having to constantly be on the alert for demons did that to one. She didn't wear makeup. Her skirt was a little bit longer, only enough that it would go unnoticed by the school staff. The old uniform brought back too many memories and she didn't want to have to deal with them so soon...or however long it had been.
Her grades had gone up. She had become the same old Kagome. Boring but content. Moderate grades kept her mother happy but her grandfather bordering on hysteria. She stayed out of trouble only a few detentions for going off on the girl's who taunted her. Her math grades had never been great but she had been talking to the teacher's about getting a tutor who was supposed to be a college student.
Her fingers gripped the top of straps of her bookbag, her eye color more prominent from the tears. She took a deep breath, like she did everyday, before opening the bedroom door and trotting down the stairs.
A quick goodbye, and a kiss to her mother, was all she offered before running out the doors. Her feet immediately taking her to the shrine house. The well seemed so innocent and harmless now. Yet...she knew better. She had experienced the horrors that the well house homed.
She felt cheated somehow. That the well had made a mockery of her. It had allowed her to taste love and happiness then ripped it brutally away when it saw fit. Her teeth clenched as she turned on her heel. Her knuckles white with the force on her hold on the bag straps.
The walk to the school was a familiar path by now, her feet walking along the beaten path mechanically. Not bothering to watch out where she was walking, or who she was walking into, her eyes were kept downcast as her thumb rubbed against the metal lock.
Her scar had gotten her many looks. And questions. Of abuse. Rape. Or attempted murder. She couldn't tell them that it was because of her interference in a battle of demons. Or that she treasured it because it was the last thing he left her, knowing that when it happened the look in his eyes still made him human. That he felt just like she did. And it made it all the harder to watch as the life faded from his eyes.
A sigh slipped out of her mouth as she smiled at her friends. The facade slipping back into place. She had moments of happiness, she loved her friends for their attempts to cheer her up. They were always dragging her here or there just to get a smile from her. They all went and got their navels pierced(Ayame fainting along with the man who was taking pictures for the newspaper) which had given Kagome and the others a laugh, then clutched each other as a scary movie was the call for a sleep over.
A smile tugged at her lips as she listened to Eiri ramble. The girl didn't know the meaning of being quiet, she always felt too tense and so she covered it with meaningless chatter. But it didn't irritate her like it used to.
`Maybe...maybe something came out of my time in the Feudal Era after all. I've learnt to appreciate things far more than I used to. My protective side has been awoken too, I won't even let Sota out of my sight the little brat.'
Though she still felt a pang of jealousy as Sota was always out somewhere with his girlfriend. She learned to deal with it, in the sense that she got to relentlessly tease the poor boy.
Her stomach growled as she laughed sheepishly. She never ate breakfast but her stomach chose now to show that she was hungry. Sticking her tongue between her teeth she rummaged through her locker, Yuki made her keep some pop tarts in there `just in case' which was now for her.
Higurashi Kagome to the office please. Higurashi Kagome please make your way to the office.”
Popping her head out of the locker, pop tart half in her mouth, she groaned around her breakfast. She didn't do anything. This time. She made sure she was careful and kept her verbal fights off school grounds. So why was she in trouble now? Or...she had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach as she grabbed the first few textbooks she would need for class. Her feet scuffed along the ground, the pop tart being chewed without the use of her hands. She really didn't want to go to the office.
`Couldn't they have given me a damned note? I hate being called over the intercom! Everyone gives me these weird stares.'
Her hand rapped hesitantly against the wooden door. She had made sure she avoided the glass on the other side so they couldn't see her approach. As quickly as the door was opened she barely had time to register the black haired male grinning cheekily, holding the door for her.
The books were held tightly against her chest, her bangs covering her eyes as she shuffled past the male. She felt odd around him. His aura made her uneasy and her fingers itched with the purifying power she had been learning to control. Which was weird in itself.
`He doesn't seem to be evil...or even a demon for that matter. No shikon no kakera shards are anywhere in his body either. So why...?'
She hadn't even spared him a glance. She didn't want to get caught up in the inquisitive gaze that was aimed at her. Licking her lips she balled her fists at her side, the gaze was intense and almost stony in itself.
`I've never met this guy before! So why the hell is he being so hostile already? Given I didn't go out of my way to be kind to him or even thank him.'
The busty, female secretary giggled nervously. Even she was able to sense the tension. Since she was new she didn't want students killing each other on her shift. That couldn't be good for her resume.
Clapping her hands together her lips pulled back against her white teeth as she grinned happily.
“Alright! Higurashi, the principal was given a note of referral by your math teacher. He said you were having too much trouble, falling behind far too much and you needed some type of intervention. So we went through the tutor program, kids who are in college and need some extra cash, and found someone who got along in math just fine and asked him to be your tutor. And as you see he is here now, so you need to speak with him making your hours and everything. This program is not mandatory. You must take him as your tutor.”
She had to bite her lips to keep from groaning aloud. This sounded way to irritating and time consuming for her. Stress she didn't need. Her hand was splayed on her hip, her fingers curling in agitation. She couldn't believe that her teacher would stoop to this!
Rolling her eyes she turned quickly to face her `tutor', her mouth opening. Before her breath left in a loud `whooshing' sound and her stomach lurched. She was almost sure she was going to double over with pain. Her chest had constricted; breathing no longer possible.
`Son of a bitch...'
“I-Impossible...y-you're...”
She had seen realization dawn in his eyes too. He hid it far better than she did. The secretary was looking at the two with curiosity, her head tilted to the side and eyes wide.
Picking her jaw up from the floor she stumbled backwards, tripping over the chair (the male jerked forward as though to catch her) and landing in some students lap. She felt the tears rise, the burning in her eyes and the trickle of heated water down her face. Her hands were clutching her throat as she pushed herself from the chair and threw the door open.
Her books were strewn across the office floor. Tanned arms bending to pick them up, gathering them tenderly as a thoughtful expression crossed his handsome features.
“Mr. Bankotsu is anything wrong?”
Kagome+
Her lungs ached, they felt as if they were on fire. She had no idea how long she had run. Just that she needed to get away. To a place where she was safe and knew she could be able to be herself. Not the Kagome everyone wanted to see.
The sun had set a good half hour ago and her arms curled around her torso as she tried to get warm. Her breathing was no longer ragged but she still took in huge gulps of air, unable to get over the shock.
Stars twinkled dimly in the lamplight. This was something else she missed. The innocence of wishing on stars and lying in the grass pointing out constellations to Shippo and Sango. She wanted to see the huge horizon of Feudal Japan, where the stars were all the light that you needed to feel safe.
`I no longer believe in the power of wishing...that was something I lost long ago...but still I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight...'
A/N: This will eventually have the pairing of Inuyasha/Jakotsu so if you do not like prospect of two guys having a relationship you may not want to read this story anymore. Reviews are greatly appreciated and about the Sango/Koga I'm a sucker for unusual pairings.