InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wish You Were Here ❯ Smile ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'm not sure how, but this never managed to be posted to MediaMiner. It has been up on FF.net for at least 5 years now. Oh well. I am in the process of dragging out all my old notes so that I can finish this fic. An update should not be too distant.



Chapter Four: Smile

Propping himself up with a grimace, Inuyasha made a face at old Kaede. “Hag, if you’re going to speak gibberish, I’m just going to pass out again and save myself the effort of listening.”

For Kaede’s part, she managed a face even more exasperated than Inuyasha’s. She’d already tried explaining this twice before…admittedly, they had been to Inuyasha Two (she almost smiled, realizing that she was calling him it, too). If it were possible, he was even more thickheaded than the Inuyasha from the other world. Perhaps, with a little prayer, Inuyasha Two would grow up a little as well. That would be up to Kagome, though. The entire situation was amazing, and Kaede would be more than glad when it could be only so hard to believe as a single Inuyasha and a girl from the future, who happened to be the reincarnation of Kaede’s own dead sister.

Inuyasha, you’re more than well enough that you shouldn’t be passing out, anymore. Perhaps, you’d like some more of my special tonic?” She motioned towards a pot, simmering over a fire. Inuyasha shuddered and shook his head hurriedly. Kaede had made it especially foul-tasting, so that the hanyou would stop moping around her hut and go kill something; anything to get him gone.

Then try to concentrate, Inuyasha. Surely, you’re not as empty-skulled as your counterpart?” That should work. The two hanyou’s were humorously competitive with one another, each trying to prove that the other were somehow inferior…even though they were the SAME PERSON! It had kept Kagome and Kaede both amused for the long days of Inuyasha’s sickness.

If I am correct—though I am not certain that I am—then the reason you have entered our world is that strange youkai that has hidden itself within you. It has tainted your own aura and so corrupted your use of the Bone Eater’s Well. I think that if we purify the well of the youkai’s energy, then you should be able to return to your own world. But, you will still have to deal with the demon in order to solve the problem permanently. You will probably have to have the well on your own end purified, as well.”

Inuyasha nodded, though Kaede wasn’t certain if he understood or was just pretending to in order to seem brighter than Inuyasha Two. Inuyasha’s own energy was corrupted, so it was not a sure thing, but Kaede was sure that both well and hanyou had been tainted by the Twisted Youkai. It didn’t take long to convince Inuyasha to try, however. He was very eager to return to his own world. Kaede smiled to herself. He was obviously desperate to return to his own KAGOME. So strange to see the hanyou so lovesick.

* * *

Finally! After twelve days in this miserable world, Inuyasha was going home! At least, that’s what old Kaede had promised him. Oh sure, she’d not actually promised, but the hanyou was more enthusiastic than he’d been for over a week. If it didn’t work, he might just kill himself. Probably the other himself.

Near bubbling over with excitement, Inuyasha gathered with the others at the well. The old woman was there with Kagome, supposedly trying to use their holy powers to purify the well. Inuyasha Two was there, as well, sniffing obtrusively and quite obviously at the air. Inuyasha didn’t need to be reminded of the Twisted Youkai within him. If that idiot didn’t stop giving him those looks, Inuyasha would…

Inuyasha could feel a strange tingling in the air. That must be the purification spell, or whatever, that Kaede was using to fix the well. It made him feel a little uneasy, aimed as it was at destroying demonic auras. He was half demonic, after all. The feeling intensified as the old woman went about her ritual, and both Inuyashas became increasingly uncomfortable. Inuyasha watched Inuyasha Two sideways, just in case he tried to attack Kaede or something. You couldn’t trust that stupid hanyou.

Suddenly, Inuyasha felt uneasy for another reason, altogether. Along with the increasingly pure air around him, he was beginning to feel sick, a foul ill sensation that he was starting to recognize. It grew rapidly within him, and Inuyasha staggered slightly, wanting to vomit.

Shit! Kagome, watch out…that thing is coming…”

Kaede stopped what she was doing, looking almost through Inuyasha. Inuyasha Two blinked, looking confused for a moment. If Inuyasha hadn’t been so busy not throwing up, he’d have called him an idiot. But he didn’t have a chance. As Kaede focused her attention on Inuyasha, he could feel a part of himself separate. It wasn’t as bad this time. He didn’t feel like he was dying, just like Sesshoumaru had put his hand though his back and waved ‘hi’ to everyone, again.

Inuyasha slumped halfway to the earth before he could straighten himself. His eyes unfocused then refocused on a dark shape directly in front of him. The Twisted Youkai sent him sprawling with a vicious backhand that Inuyasha hadn’t even seen coming. Still seeing stars, the hanyou forced himself back onto his feet to face the damned thing. But how could he fight something that got stronger when it was attacked?

Inuyasha Two wasn’t worrying about that. The idiot hanyou kept slashing and punching at the thing. He even managed a nice hit that sent the youkai’s head twirling around its neck. It didn’t change much of the overall look. The thing had been all twisted up to begin with.

Stop, you stupid bastard!”

Inuyasha Two, turned his head to shout some kind of insult back, and the Twisted Youkai caught him in the side of the head with a kick. It had been an interesting attack to see, considering the thing’s unique build. The other hanyou was sent bouncing to the foot of the well, where he seemed content to lay until the youkai decided to help him up. Inuyasha didn’t think that very likely. He gave another (unnecessary) shout of warning to Kagome and leapt to the aid of himself.

Get up, you weak idiot! You plan to lay there til it goes to sleep from boredom?” Inuyasha Two muttered a few coarser words for Inuyasha, but managed to bring himself upright. The Twisted Youkai must have gotten pretty strong off of their youki if he’d stunned the hanyou that badly. Even Inuyasha Two wasn’t a complete weakling. “Okay, we need to figure out how to kill this thing…”

Look out!” Inuyasha Two pointed over Inuyasha’s shoulder. The Twisted Youkai was charging with unbelievable speed, especially for something that looked like it had been chewed on by one of Kouga’s mangy wolves. Possibly digested by one.

Inuyasha Two shoved Inuyasha behind him as the youkai attacked, but the thing’s sheer momentum sent them catapulting into the hanyou. Inuyasha banged his head on the back of Inuyasha Two’s head, and all three of them tumbled backwards. Unexpectedly, they didn’t hit the ground, but kept falling.

The sides of the well rose up around them. Inuyasha would have smacked himself in the face if he could have.

Son of a bitch…”

There was a flare of dark light as the well’s magic activated. When Kagome and Kaede came to check the well, it was empty.

* * *

Inuyasha blinked up into the sunlight that shone down into the well. He groaned and pushed Inuyasha Two off of him. Lucky thing the well’s magic had softened the landing. The hanyou sat up and shook his head, clearing it. That idiot’s skull must have been made of steel or something. Inuyasha Two grunted and made a few moaning noises. They sounded more like whining to Inuyasha, though. HE never whined like that, he was certain. The other hanyou sat up as well. They look at each other, then at the black thing staggering to its feet beside them.

Shit!” They cried in unison, though it’d be a safe bet they’d argue that the other was copying them.

The Twisted Youkai seemed to see them for the first time, too. It jumped in surprise. For a moment, no one seemed able to move, then EVERYONE was moving, as much as they could in the confines of the well, that is. Inuyasha lunged at the youkai, which had grabbed Inuyasha Two by the throat. His claws managed to score across the thing’s chest, and a strange black blood sprayed over him.

The youkai dropped Inuyasha Two and smashed into Inuyasha, crushing him against the walls. Inuyasha Two knocked the thing off of the other hanyou and it turned to face him again. With a grim, lopsided, smile it took his head in its hands and smashed its own directly into it. There was a hollow noise, somewhat like punching a melon, and the youkai’s head split open, but it seemed not to notice. Inuyasha Two staggered and fell to the ground dazed.

Inuyasha grabbed the damned youkai by the back of its neck and threw it against the wall of the well. It bounced off and into another wall, then actually jumped off the wall, soaring out of the well. Inuyasha followed in a much straighter line. The thing was staggering drunkenly in the open space. It seemed to have lost some of its energy when the well had flared like that. Part of the Twisted Youkai’s power had gone into the well, weakening it.

Grinning, Inuyasha cracked his knuckles. It was about time. He’d kill the thing while it was weak and be on his way back home. Without any warning, the Twisted Youkai turned and flashed towards him. Inuyasha raised his claws two sever its neck, but it disappeared as it reached him. Again. Damn it! He’d fallen for the same trick again. He was almost as stupid as Inuyasha Two!

Inuyasha stood there, panting heavily. Kagome and Kaede were gone. That was either a good or bad sign. Unable to determine which world they were in, Inuyasha decided to fetch the OTHER Inuyasha and go down to the village. Just as he had decided to do so, however, he froze.

Kagome walked out of the trees, heading towards the well. She had her enormous backpack over her shoulder and was obviously headed home. Probably for more of her beloved ‘school’. Nearly halfway to the well, Kagome stopped, seeing Inuyasha for the first time.

Inuyasha? But…”

Kagome…”

Kagome, wait! I didn’t say you could go…”

From behind, Inuyasha came stalking out of the trees, bent on harassing Kagome into staying with him. Kagome was frozen where she was, staring at the hanyou next to the well. The other Inuyasha seemed to have noticed him for the first time, too. He froze as well.

You have GOT to be kidding me…”

Inuyasha had barely gotten the words out before the other hanyou had jumped on him, grappling with the somewhat confused Inuyasha. “Kagome, stay back! It’s one of Naraku’s tricks!”

Kagome nodded absently, still staring at the strange scene. Inuyasha kicked Inuyasha off of him and growled. That didn’t end it, though, and Inuyasha leapt at him again, claws slashing at his chest. Inuyasha dodged, and again, trying to get in words between strikes.

I’m…not…one of…Naraku’s…tric ks…you…stupid bastard!”

With that, he punched the surprised hanyou directly in the face and waited, hands ready to block any more attacks. The other Inuyasha held his face in his hand, growling and cursing through his fingers.

Like I’d believe YOU, imposter. You obviously can’t be ME, and you smell all wrong. You HAVE to be one of Naraku’s minions.”

Do I smell like Naraku?” Inuyasha tried not to shout, seeing as how he’d had a lot of experience dealing with idiot hanyous already. Was he the only half-intelligent Inuyasha that existed? Funnily enough, he’d never have even considered that question a couple of weeks ago. “All of Naraku’s servants smell like him. I don’t, so I can’t be. Duh?”

The other Inuyasha didn’t seem convinced, but whatever he was about to say back never was heard. Inuyasha Two climbed out of the well and pointed at them, half doubled over with laughter.

You two are so stupid! I can’t believe you’re fighting each other.”

Kagome and the other Inuyasha stared at this new appearance as if he had a horse growing out of his head. Perhaps they’d find an Inuyasha somewhere, in some world, that DID. Inuyasha gestured at the two to be calm and listen to him. How was he supposed to explain?

Um…I’m Inuyasha…One. And this is Two.”

No, you’re Two, dammit!”

Shut up! You’re Two! We’ve been over this already!”

The third Inuyasha shared a look with Kagome that said they both needed to have Kaede check them for head trauma. Inuyasha sighed. How was he supposed to deal with that idiot AND another probably just as dumb? Gods, this was getting complicated.

End of Chapter Four



Is it possible to have too much of Inuyasha? Come on, you know you're wondering what'd be like to have a room full of Inuyashas arguing with each other and fighting over Kagome. I don't think I'll go quite that far, though...



-Chevalier Mal Fet (The Chevalier)