InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wishmaster ❯ From One Master to Another, Part Seven: Kagura ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Are you clear on what I want you to do?”
 
“Yes, Naraku.” Kagura trembled as she nodded. The infusion of her powers back into her body had been painful, Naraku's way of telling her that she belonged to him and no one else.
 
“Then go.”
 
The wind sorceress rose to her feet and quickly exited the room. She couldn't get out of the room fast enough.
 
'He knows no limits . . . He doesn't care. He'll stop at nothing to get that inkpot! But why? Why is he so adamant about getting that inkpot? It only contains Inuyasha . . .' She slowed some as the realization hit her. Inuyasha was the genie in the inkpot. Naraku had to know that!
 
'That's why he's after that inkpot . . . because he knows . . . he knows that Inuyasha is now a slave and subject to his master's whims! There isn't much Inuyasha can deny him!'
 
Kagura felt the blood leaving her limbs. Inuyasha had power. Great power. She'd experienced it for herself and she remembered well Abu's warnings about any genie falling into the wrong hands.
 
'But there isn't anything I can do except follow Naraku's orders . . . Kami, help me. I don't know what else to do.'
 
As soon as the cool air hit her face, Kagura pulled her feather out of her hair. In a swirling gust, she took to the skies, searching for the one who held the inkpot. A monk named Ryu.
 
* * *
 
Ryu felt the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end. A faint blue light had enveloped the wolf as power coursed from the inkpot. In that moment, he knew. He knew why demons were seeking the inkpot. It acted like a second Shikon no Tama, enhancing a person's strengths or granting a wish. What worried Ryu, though, was the fact that a living being had been contained in that inkpot and it was that being's power the wishes were being drawn off of. He had felt the life radiating from the object. To see it being used so casually, though somewhat wisely . . .
 
'This isn't right,' he thought with clenched fists. 'No one should have to be entrapped like that or to be used like a slave to one's whims!'
 
As quickly as it had enveloped him, the blue light around the wolf dissipated. The humans gazed at him in anticipation. Ryu could taste it and he scowled. Of course, they wouldn't be able to detect the life, the living presence, in that inkpot.
 
Though, as he gazed at the inkpot and the life force that it contained, something tingled in the back of his mind. The presence in the inkpot felt . . . familiar somehow . . . and he thought he detected a faint youkai aura.
 
'But there's human mingled with it as well . . . Could it be that a hanyou's contained within that object? But how? How is that possible? Who would do such a thing and why? What could one gain by entrapping a hanyou?'
 
His thoughts were interrupted when the girl in the strange clothing took a step towards the wolf and murmured, “Kouga? Are you all right?”
 
The wolf lowered the inkpot, taking deep and even breaths. Then a grin broke out across his face.
 
“Yeah,” he nodded. “I'm feeling fine. Great even! I have something I want to give you, Kagome.”
 
Tucking the inkpot under his arm, the wolf youkai crouched down and sliced his legs open carefully. Ryu crinkled his nose at the scent. He had always abhorred bloodshed of any kind, something that had driven his inuyoukai father crazy. Two pink shards came out of each of the wolf's legs, causing the youkai monk's eyes to widen. With a satisfied grunt, the wolf youkai stood on shaky legs and walked towards the humans.
 
“Here,” he stated. “I don't need them anymore.”
 
“You . . . don't need them anymore?” the girl blinked. “You mean . . .?”
 
“I'm as strong as I need to be,” the wolf grinned. “At least for now.”
 
“That's all well and good,” Ryu interjected, his eyes narrowed in irritation. “But this is wasting precious time. Now, if you would be so kind as to hand that inkpot back to me, wolf, I would appreciate it. I have a mission to complete.”
 
“What's your hurry?” the blue-eyed youkai snapped, his eyes flashing. “The monk you seek is right here!” Then he pointed at the male standing behind the taijiya and strangely dressed female. “See?”
 
Ryu's eyes followed to where the wolf pointed and noted with a small amount of satisfaction that he had managed to catch up with the monk he sought. However, since he took it upon himself to seek out the owner of the strange inkpot, Ryu felt as if his mission was half-complete. He had to get that inkpot back and keep it safe. A promise is a promise. His eyes went back to the wolf youkai.
 
“I do see,” came the soft growl. “But I also promised a young child that I would find the owner of that inkpot for him and to let the owner know the child kept it safe. I do not intend to break that promise.”
 
“Maybe you should give it back to him, Kouga,” the girl in the strange clothes frowned.
 
“Why? So he can use it against me and my tribesmen? I don't think so,” Kouga shook his head. “Not while I'm around. Who knows what this dog will use it for?”
 
Ryu let out a soft sigh then shook his head. Wolves could be so paranoid sometimes.
 
“I assure you that I have no desire to use that inkpot. I only wish to find its rightful owner. I give you my word.”
 
“And why should we trust that?” Kouga snarled.
 
“Because, despite my father's lack of interest in me as a child, he did teach me that it was best to keep one's word when it is given,” Ryu smiled wryly. “After all, it wouldn't do for the oldest son of the great Lord InuTaisho to be breaking promises.”
 
“Lord . . . InuTaisho?” the wolf blinked. “The Lord InuTaisho? The Lord over the Western Lands?!”
 
“The one and only,” Ryu nodded. “And I swear upon my father's grave that I will not deceive you.”
 
“Wait a minute,” the strangely dressed miko shook her head, interjecting. “How are you his son?”
 
“Accidental mating with a female of a lower class before his arranged mating with Yashira, the mother to one of my younger siblings,” Ryu shrugged. “How else?”
 
“Does this mean that you're older than Sesshomaru then?”
 
“Hai,” Ryu nodded, trying to keep from rolling his eyes at the girl. How hard was it to comprehend that fact?
 
“So if you're Sesshomaru's older brother then Inuyasha's . . .”
 
“My dear baby brother.”
 
Ryu couldn't help but smirk. So he had guessed correctly when Kaede had mentioned Inuyasha and Myouga. His little brother had lived after all.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha slid to the floor of the inkpot as he listened to the conversation outside. The monk was his brother? And his father hadn't wanted him?
 
“What was Father thinking?” he whispered to the air. “Why didn't he want him? Why didn't he want Sesshomaru? Why me?”
 
“Is there something the matter, my pet?” the voice inquired, almost mockingly to his ears.
 
“I don't understand . . . I'm the one Father wanted . . . he had two sons he could be proud of . . . I mean, be really proud of . . . yet he didn't want them. He wanted me. Why?”
 
“That I can't answer, my pet. I don't know how your father's mind worked. But I can tell you this. Even a fool could see how much your father loved your mother. The fact that he died to save you both is proof of that.”
 
“But I never asked for any of that!” he shouted, jumping to his feet. Tears formed in his eyes and rolled silently down his cheeks. As soon as they were free, they hit the ground but Inuyasha paid no attention to them. His eyes had narrowed in anger and frustration. “I didn't ask to be born as I am! I didn't ask for him to die for me! I didn't ask for my mother to suffer because of me! I never asked for any of it!”
 
“No one asks for the circumstances that surround life, my pet,” the voice cooed to him. “No one asks to be born to the parents that sire them . . . no one asks to be different. But that's how life works. It's something that you must accept.”
 
“I don't have to accept anything!” Inuyasha declared defiantly. “I . . .”
 
“That will be enough,” came the stern statement, cutting off his words. Immediately, his breath caught in his throat and his heart began to beat faster. Pain exploded in his chest and behind his temples. Inuyasha let out a weak moan as he sank to his knees.
 
“You are a slave now, Inuyasha. MY slave and I will not accept this . . . this . . . defiance from you. You will act in accordance to one of your status. Do you understand?”
 
He managed to gurgle out a response and nod his head some. The pain had overridden his ability to move and to speak coherently. His eyes widened as more pain shot right through him.
 
“DO YOU UNDERSTAND?”
 
“Yes!” he rasped out. “I understand!”
 
“Then say it. Say what I want to hear.”
 
“Wha . . .”
 
“You know what it is . . . Say it.”
 
His claws dug into the ground as he squeezed his eyes shut, trying to find the words this woman wanted to hear. Breathing hurt and so did the light of the candles and torches. Then, torturously slow, the words started to form in his mind.
 
“I . . . I understand, my . . . master . . . I won't . . . defy you . . . again . . . I swear . . . I . . .”
 
His breath hitched at that moment, causing him to cough. Blood splattered on the floor, mixing with the tears that he had already shed.
 
'I can't . . . I can't lose it now . . . Kami, please . . . help me . . .'
 
“I . . . I love you . . . my master . . .” he whispered, his eyes fluttering shut.
 
“Then sleep, my sweet one,” the voice soothed as the pain dissipated. “Sleep. I'll be seeing you soon. I promise.”
 
* * *
 
Allah let out a weary sigh as the hanyou fell into a heavy slumber. His burst of defiance had been rather . . . unexpected, even with the given situation.
 
'This isn't going to do . . . I need to get him before too much longer. That group is going to be the undoing of the personality change. Or perhaps it's because he has some unresolved problems with his sibling, Sesshomaru. I need to find out . . . Maybe it's time I caught up with Abu . . . Dammit, I hate having to rely on where he's at to get to that time.'
 
She quickly rose to her feet and dusted herself off. She had a lot to prepare for and not enough time to get everything done.
 
* * *
 
Kikyou watched the exchange between her reincarnation, the youkai monk, and the wolf youkai with indifference. Their spat over the inkpot didn't concern her and since the youkai threat to the village was now over . . .
 
She turned to go, intent on beckoning Inuyasha to follow her, at least for a small distance. Her eyes scanned the surrounding area then she frowned. The hanyou was no where to be seen.
 
“Where is Inuyasha?” she demanded, interrupting the conversation.
 
“We were hoping you could tell us,” the taijiya stated. “He's been missing for several days now.”
 
“I haven't seen him,” Kikyou stated coolly. “He isn't my responsibility to keep track of.”
 
Without another word, she headed back in the direction she had come.
 
* * *
 
“Allah, please help me,” Abu murmured. The wind rushed by his face as he hurried after his wayward inkpot. Since Naraku had grabbed Kagura, a growing knot of panic had formed in the pit of his stomach. “Please . . . before that fiend gets a hold of it.”
 
* * *
 
“Don't worry, Abu. I'm on my way.”
 
* * *
 
“My Lord, where are we going? Why are we following that human?” Jaken inquired. The imp had been asking questions non-stop since they had left the palace, and it was starting to grate on his nerves.
 
'And he claims Rin gets on my nerves,' he thought idly.
 
“Isn't it obvious, Jaken? He knows where Inuyasha is.”
 
“Oh . . . and you think that Naraku is going after the inkpot as well?”
 
“Hai. I do. We must get to it before he does.”
 
`Before Naraku has the chance to try and steal my powers from me once more.'
 
* * *
 
“Dance of blades!”
 
It had taken her half a day but Kagura had managed to find the monk Naraku spoke of. He had somehow managed to hook up with Inuyasha's friends and lose the inkpot to the wolf youkai, Kouga. For a moment, she feared that obtaining the inkpot would prove to be damn near impossible. But, as she began her attack, she noticed that they really made no move to protect the inkpot as they did each other. If anything, the youkai monk seemed interested in keeping the inkpot away from her.
 
'But I can't fail,' she cringed to herself. 'Abu, please . . . forgive me . . .'
 
* * *
 
He felt light. Incredibly light. But his forehead burned. He whimpered softly in his sleep.
 
“No more," he whispered. "I just want to go home . . .”
 
“You'll be coming home soon, my pet. I swear it.”