InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Without a Lullaby ❯ Soulless ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter X: Soulless
 
 
Sesshomaru flung open the door to his bedroom, and shut it close just as quickly. The female in his bed was not only still there, but seemed to be hiding under the covers like a child. He could not blame her though, considering.
 
He saw her form shift as he stood there quietly, watching her. He had done what he wanted to do... and now what? What was he expecting from her?
 
There is nothing she could say. She doesn't even know.
 
Sesshomaru made his way to the edge of the bed, standing over her form. She seemed to react to his presence by tossing a bit more, but his senses told him that she still slept.
 
But he was patient.
 
He did not mind waiting.
 
And it was not long until Kagome sat up, rubbing her eyes, but still was unaware of his being. She blinked those cerulean orbs thrice, as if trying to will the sleepiness from them... she rubbed them, yawned, stretched... the whole routine...
 
And it was not until she turned her frame in Sesshomaru's direction that she realized he was there.
 
Her eyes widened slowly, as her gaze drifted from him to her naked torso as she threw the covers up over her chest. She gaped, her breath constricting in her throat as she gave him a look that inquired his intentions.
 
“Ningen, this is my bedroom. I placed you here after you went unconscious.”
 
Kagome gave him a confused look, frowning at him as if she knew not what he spoke of.
 
Sesshomaru felt himself getting somewhat annoyed.
 
“After you were violated, ningen. I went and avenged you and your honor...”
 
He had stopped in mid sentence because Kagome had hunched over, clutching her head as if she were in horrible pain. Her body convulsed...and she cried as if it was the end of all creation....
 
Sesshomaru felt his feet shuffle a little in a small amount of anxiety and discomfort. In all his centuries, he had definitely seen women cry... but he had never seen this amount of hysteria in any woman before.
 
And he honestly did not know how to handle it.
 
“...Miko, stop that noise at once!”
 
Kagome turned to leer at Sesshomaru, and his breath caught in his throat at the look on her face.
 
Her eyebrows were drawn together, and she looked confused. Her eyes were puffy, her nose was pink, and a wetness laid on her plump cheeks...
 
All in all she looked like an innocent, and traumatized child.
 
This caused Sesshomaru's senses to jumble even further.
 
He was honestly clueless.
 
But all that was shoved aside as the girl got up hesitantly, and made her way over to him. He watched her as if she were a threat, but did not make a move.
 
She took small, wavering steps. Her countenance was frail as a feather, fragile as glass... though she might break if she fell... as though she could barely support her own weight on her feet... She just watched his reactions, and he kept his cool mask intact. She was corporal almost, translucent in her feeble state.
 
But she continued to wobble to him, uncertain and cautious as tears streamed down her cheeks all the while.
 
As she did, she reached out tentatively for him.
 
The gentleness she exuded was nothing before shown to him except by his mother...
 
He had to bite down a growl that was rising in his throat, for he did in fact feel as if she were hostile to him... but he knew that was ludicrous... especially because of how shyly she moved.
 
And as she reached out and grabbed a sleeve of his, she continually moved closer until she had laid her head upon his chest and cried into it.
 
She wrapped her arms around his torso, and... held...him... as she cried.
 
Sesshomaru felt his body go stiff, tension riveting in all his limbs.
 
He didn't touch her back.
 
He just stood there and allowed it.
 
And though perhaps he should have, he just couldn't.
 
In all his life, there was nothing that would put any logic to what this ningen did. He just felt something inside him grow, and then go cold.
 
It felt like winter was in his mind, and he wasn't sure what any of it meant.
 
He really wasn't sure what to do besides stand there and let the human girl cry on his haori.
 
And in all his lifetime, he never expected things would have come to this.