InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Worth Fighting For ❯ First Meeting ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Greetings. I am known as Sesshomaru, lord of the western lands. I have traveled the lands for centuries, searching for my father's fabled sword, the Tetsusaiga, which can slaughter 100 demons in a single sweep of its blade. Yes, I said centuries… Since I am a demon, I have an extensive life… Now, back to what I was saying… I have searched the lands for Father's sword, the Tetsusaiga.
However, now that I know where it is located, I am not able to wield it. This is because I am a demon, someone who is unable to be granted passage through Tetsusaiga's barrier and touch the sword. My younger brother, Inuyasha—oh, how it disgusts me to admit that that half-breed shares my father's blood in his veins—is the chosen master of the Tetsusaiga. I ponder over and over how it is that he was blessed with the fang of destruction, and I was bequeathed the Tenseiga, the sword of healing…
A while back, when I realized that I could not wield the Tetsusaiga, I lost my left arm to the very sword I longed to possess… I realized that if I could not have the sword, no one could…
Soon afterward, I met up with Inuyasha again, sporting a dragon's claw as my temporary left arm. This arm would prove useful to me, acting as a shield against the Tetsusaiga. The battle was steadily taking its toll on the sword and its master and I was becoming the victor. Unless Inuyasha was somehow able to see the Wind Scar, Tetsusaiga's ultimate technique, there was no way he could beat me. Blinding Inuyasha with my poison, I prepared for the final blow. But it was not meant to be… Inuyasha had picked up the scent of the Wind Scar and had used it against me. If it wasn't for the Tenseiga, I would not be alive. It had protected my life.
Later on, I awoke, finding myself in a forest. Picking up the scent of a human, I attempted to scare the young female child away. She was brave, for she did not leave. But why would a human want to help me, a demon?
All through the night, she brought me food and water. My only response was not accepting anything that she brought me and telling her to mind her own business. Of course, I had a reason for not accepting the food she offered; I don't eat the same food that humans do. After I rejected her—I must admit—generous offer, she left me in peace.
The next morning, I was awakened by the sound of rustling grass; it was the girl. Even before she offered the leaf full of wheat, I told her I didn't want it. She was a persistent child and knelt before me, holding the food towards me. Still, I didn't accept it. All I heard was a small sigh of disappointment from her. I could smell her injuries from where I lay, and knew something had happened to her. Without so much as a glance in her direction, I asked where she acquired the bruises. She seemed surprised by my question, but didn't answer. I said she didn't have to tell me if she didn't want to, and she simply stared at me. Finally looking at her, I got a response that I wasn't expecting: she smiled at me.
By mid-afternoon, when she had left to go back to her village, I left the forest. When I was back with Jaken and Ah-Un, my dragon, a strange scent on the wind caught my attention: it was the scent of blood and wolves. I recognized whose blood it was and went back into the direction I had come.
Sure enough, lying in the middle of the path was the young girl, dead. Her blood was pooled all around her in the soil, and there were teeth markings all over her. I immediately knew she had been killed by wolves. For one reason or another, the memory of that smile—that happy smile—that she had given me that very morning appeared in my mind. I took hold of the Tenseiga, pulling it out of its sheath. It pulsated and I knew what I had to do, looking at the little girl's body. Slowly, and to my surprise, three grotesque demons appeared out of nowhere around the corpse; they were the carriers of the underworld, there to capture the child's soul. Determined, I slaughtered them with one swing of the Tenseiga's blade, watching as they disintigrated.
Kneeling down, I placed the girl in a sitting position against my knee, holding her and waiting for something to happen. For a few moments, everything was quiet. But then, I heard something that made me utter a small gasp: heartbeats. And they were emanating from the young girl. I watched in shock as her eyes opened and she looked up at me. I couldn't believe my eyes: I had resurrected her with the power of the Tenseiga. Letting go of her and allowing her to stand, I got to my feet and walked off. I was aware that she was following me.
Several years have passed since that day. Since then, Rin and I have experienced a lot together, both good and bad. Little did I know, very soon, something would happen that would change my life forever. This is our story…