InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Worth Fighting For ❯ Another Day, Another Journey ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When I awoke that morning, the sun was barely over the horizon. Glancing to my side, my eyes only half open, I glimpsed Rin (who was no longer a child, but now a young woman of sixteen years) sleeping soundly against Ah-Un, who was also not awake yet. Jaken lay on Ah-Un's back, so still as he slept that I thought he was dead at first. It is early… It may be a while yet before they awaken… With that thought, I stood and walked over to the edge of the cliff that was a short distance from where I had fallen asleep. I wanted to watch the sunrise.
Behind me, Rin was starting to stir. When I heard her let out a small yawn, I looked over my shoulder at her for a few moments before looking back to the horizon, where the sky was turning to a light-gray color.
Rin walked up and stood beside me, still looking tired. I glanced at her from the corner of my eye and it seemed like just the day before that she was a little girl barely up to my knee. Now, she was a little bit taller than my shoulder.
“Good morning my lord,” she said, smiling at me.
“Good morning, Rin. You slept well, I assume?”
I saw her nod her head and look over at the slowly ascending sun. “Yes, I slept well. And you?”
“It goes without saying…”
“You didn't sleep well again?” She sounded disbelieving.
“No, I didn't… I kept waking up… Mostly in the middle of the night…” I did sound weary, I admit that.
“I see. Why don't you get back to sleep?” asked Rin, smiling at me still. It seemed that no matter what happened, nothing could douse her spirit. That girl was always smiling.
“I do not need to go back to sleep… We have a long journey ahead of us today… Have you forgotten?” I questioned, turning my head so I could look at her. “If I go back to sleep, I will not want to wake…”
“You look tired,” stated Rin, cocking an eyebrow at me. “I can wake you up when the sun is up over the horizon if you'd like.” It sounded like she was insisting.
Letting out a sigh, I finally agreed, not wishing to argue with her. I knew better… Whenever I spoke harshly to her, it always upset her, and, even if I didn't know why, I didn't like seeing her upset.
“Very well, Rin… I shall rest some more. When the land is bathed in light from the sun, wake me up, alright?” I instructed, sitting at the base of a tall cherry blossom tree and closing my eyes.
“Okay. Rest well, my lord.”
About an hour and a half later, I woke up when I heard Rin whisper my name. I slowly opened my eyes, meeting her big brown ones.
She smiled warmly at me, even though I don't think I did anything to deserve it. She whispered, “The land is bathed in sunlight, and I've done as you asked, my lord.”
I nodded and got to my feet, squinting slightly because I was not yet used to the brightness of the sun. Once I could see, I looked over at Jaken and called, “Jaken, we're going.”
As if on cue, and as if he were awake the entire time, Jaken's eyes snapped open and he sat bolt upright, looking over at me and jumping off Ah-Un's back.
“Yes, m'lord!” he croaked in that voice I detest so much. He grabbed Ah-Un's reins and began tugging them, groaning as he tried getting the beast to stand up. “Come on, Ah-Un, get up!”
Grunting in a slightly annoyed manner, Ah-Un got to its feet, both of its heads letting out a low yawn before allowing itself to be led over to me by Jaken.
“Sesshomaru-sama, where are we traveling to today?” inquired Jaken, staring at me with his large yellow eyes.
I turned my head to the north, my hair being blown by the westward breeze coming in from the east. I then answered simply, “To the north… to pay my dear younger brother a visit…”
“Why are we going to visit Inuyasha, my lord?” asked Rin curiously.
“You silly girl, of course he's going to claim the sword that should be rightfully his: the Tetsusaiga!” snapped Jaken, glaring at Rin. Ever since Rin had started traveling with us, Jaken had always despised having her around; not nearly as much as I despised having him around, however…
“You are mistaken, that is not my intention this time…” This had apparently taken Jaken by surprise, for I heard him gasp in shock.
“Sesshomaru-sama, are you saying that you've given up on Tetsusaiga and are accepting the fact that Inuyasha is able to wield it and you can't?!” exclaimed Jaken in disbelief.
“Of course not, fool… I simply wish to confirm what the scent of the wind carries with it…”
Jaken seemed more confused than ever now and questioned, “What do you mean, m'lord? What has your keen sense of smell picked up this time?”
“A half-dog has been born… With the scent of Inuyasha and that young miko girl called Kagome it comes…” I mumbled, closing my eyes as I looked up toward the sky.
“I still don't—“
I then heard Rin's voice after Jaken's, and she sounded happy. “Jaken-sama, don't you understand? Inuyasha-sama and Kagome-san are parents now!” The sound Jaken made in response to this insignificant comment made me believe at first that he would scream in terror, but to my great relief, he refrained from doing so.
“Parents?! Sesshomaru-sama, are you certain it is Inuyasha and that priestess you smell?” he asked uncertainly, sounding as if he hoped I had picked up the wrong scent.
“What do you think we are journeying to the north to see them for…? I am going to this trouble to confirm this,” I answered, looking over my shoulder at Rin and Jaken.
“Ah… ah… ah…” Jaken was at a loss for words it seemed. Good. I would be spared his irritating voice for a little while.
Glancing at Rin, I inclined my head toward the north, signalling that it was time to go. She nodded and grabbed Ah-Un's reins, following close behind me.
“Wait for me, m'lord!” hollered Jaken, running after us and trying to catch up. I have long lost count of how many times he has been left behind… But I know it must be nearing a thousand, if not more. And so our journey to the north began.