InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wrong Again ❯ Dangerous Times ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Wrong Again
Golden Foxfyre

Disclaimer: Have I ever claimed to own Inuyasha? No? Then get off my back about it.


Chapter 4

~*

He was laying on a futon, barely awake. "Tousan!" a young voice cried as a small body landed on him.

Inuyasha blinked his eyes open, instantly noticing that his senses were those of a human. "What the..." he trailed off, mentally swearing. He knew what Kikyo would do to him if she even heard about him swearing around the children. She'd done that once before, and it was a painful experience, one he had no desire to repeat.

Three children, two sons and a daughter, pulled him form the futon. Violet eyes fell to where his wife usually slept beside him. Kikyo was gone. 'That's odd. It's far too early for her to be up if there isn't a problem.' Three small sets of hands pulled him from the hut, into the lifting twilight before dawn.

Confusion swam around in his mind. How did he know what he knew? What happened to him that these children called him father? Abruptly, his mind was snatched back into the dreamscape around him. There was a glade ahead, one where the trees seemed to droop protectively over someone. Almost as if his youkai half had gone into them after he'd made his wish... Was that even possible?

The children gave him a shove and he stumbled into the glade. With a mental curse, he shoved his black hair out of his face. Violet eyes widened when he saw his wife. What was she doing? "Kikyo? What's going on?" His confusion must've come through in his voice because he could've sworn she was laughing under her breath.

Kikyo turned around, blue eyes meeting violet. "This." she declared, flinging her arms around his neck and kissing him passionately. She pulled back, gazing into his stunned eyes. He still wasn't used to people being so willing to touch him. "I want another daughter, Inuyasha." she whispered.

*~

Inuyasha snapped awake as the light of the sun hit his face. 'What the Hell?! What was that?' His breathing was rapid and irregular. After a few minutes, he managed to get his reactions under control. He leapt from his perch, landing next to the creek. 'That was embarrassing.' The hanyou splashed his face with cold water to cool his blush.

Inuyasha turned his back to the creek, sniffing the air. Kikyo's last visit was strong in his mind.

~f

The miko stood near him, casually holding her bow close to the ground. Dark blue eyes gazed at him as he explained how he felt.

"I've been alone and untrusted all of my life. Now you're offering me more than I ever thought possible. But how do I know if what you're offering isn't a trick?" Suspicion shone in the gold of his eyes. All those years of having been chased away by youkai, hunted by man and demon alike had shaped him into the hanyou he was today. There had been some who had nearly tricked him by pulling the same stunt.

"I meant what I said, Inuyasha." Kikyo declared, approaching him. One pale hand came up, the palm resting on his cheek. "As humans we can live our lives together. If you truly wish to become human, come here tomorrow. I will bring the Shikon no Tama." The miko pulled back then walked away, confident in the answer. The hanyou was tired of being alone. He would give up his youkai half, and they could be together as husband and wife. Her sister showed the miko signs, so she wouldn't be needed as a priestess after Kaede had been trained. She could finally be a normal woman.

f~

Inuyasha tilted his head to one side. There had been a great explosion of jyaki deep within the forest. Golden eyes blinked, then he took off in that direction. 'What was that? No one demon in this area has such an evil aura.' He slid to a halt in a clearing near a partially collapsed cave. The grass near the opening looked like a flash fire had seared it dry.

The area was saturated with evil, causing him to nervously glance around. 'There are so many different scents here. Which one owns the jyaki?' The hanyou scented around the clearing, searching for one scent more evil, darker than the others. Only then did he notice the position of the sun.

'I have to get going. Kikyo is probably waiting for me.' He turned to leave, then heard someone running off. 'Damn it, someone was here.' Inuyasha shook his head and ran off. The trees passed in a blur. Belatedly, he realized he would miss this; his strength and speed. Everything had a price; even the love of a miko. At this point of time, his demon half was causing more problems with the woman that had set the hook.

Inuyasha halted in the clearing where they were to meet. Kikyo's scent was all over the place, all of an even thickness and strength. He couldn't locate her through it. But why would she do this? "Kikyo?" 'Where is she?' His keen hearing caught the creaking of a bow as it was drawn. The whistling of an arrow flying through the air, prompting him to leap back. The miko stood where the undergrowth broke, aiming another arrow at him. "Kikyo, what the hell are you doing?!"

She pulled back on the arrow, tightening the bowstring in the process. "Die, Inuyasha!" The arrow was released, and he flung himself to the ground to avoid it.

The red-clad hanyou sprang back to his feet. "Why are you pulling this shit?" he demanded. Arrows continued to fly, and he continually dodged them.

A dark laugh came from the miko. "So, I managed to get you to lower your guard. All I wanted to do was kill you, but ironically, I had to gain your trust. What a disgusting creature you are."

The wind shifted, coming in from Kikyo's back. Her scent came to Inuyasha, heavily laced with the scent of burnt human flesh and lingering death to him. Even the pain that the man felt clung to her like a shroud. 'She must've been tending to that thief again.' "Kikyo, stop it! What did he do to you?"

Anger flared in her eyes, deepening the blue to nearly brown. "He exposed you for what you are. A worthless hanyou," she spat, "that doesn't deserve life." More arrows flew at him.

Inuyasha fled from the clearing, making sure to stay in the trees. His youkai blood was boiling beneath the surface, straining against he knew not what. 'That fucking bitch! That does it. I'm going to steal the jewel!' He changed direction, racing straight for the village that held a tainted jewel and unsuspecting villagers.