InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Miroku's Biggest Mistake - Part Two ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XX - Miroku's Biggest Mistake-Part Two

OMG! Miroku has broken up with Sango! Will they ever get back together? Will Miroku stop Tsubaki? Will Sango ace the finals?...Ugh, I'm sounding like a soap opera. Just read the chapter, okay?

- - - - -

Kohaku kept knocking on his sister's door, trying to get through to her. She had come home so upset; sobbing hysterically actually. Without bothering to explain, she shot upstairs to her room, slamming the door and locking it behind her. Nothing but sobs could be heard from inside.

"Sango, what's wrong? Won't you talk to me?" he yelled, hoping she'd hear him.

"Please go away, Kohaku..." he heard her almost whisper brokenly.

"Did you get kicked out of gymnastics? Was that girl Tsubaki bothering you again? Did something happen with Miroku?" He paused between each question to see if there were any reaction from her. He was unsuccessful until the last one, where he heard her suddenly break out in sobs again. Kohaku wondered. Of course he knew about Miroku's lecher streak; you'd have to be blind not to. Kohaku thought that maybe he finally took it to a whole new level; a level in which he probably won't understand until he was older. But Sango doesn't cry over something like that; she only gets super angry and talks about how many suckerpunches she gives him to compensate for his actions. He must've done something really bad this time.

- - - - -

Kagome was studying in her living room when the phone suddenly rang. Putting down her mathbook she hurried to see who it was.

"Higurashi residence."

"Hey Kagome, it's me." She heard Inuyasha's voice.

"Hi Inuyasha." she answered, smiling.

"I was wondering if you could help me go over my science homework, since I'm kinda falling behind..." he sounded small when he finished, but Kagome didn't seem to pay attention.

"I'm sorry, Inuyasha, I can't."

"How come?"

"Something happened with Miroku."

"What, did Sango give him another death threat for touching some other girl's ass again?" he joked.

"I'm not sure. But it must've been big, considering he's been really moody since he got home earlier." she said worryingly.

"Moody?"

"Yeah. When I saw him come through the door, I asked him how he was, but he only ignored me and pushed right past me and my mom. He stomped straight up to his room with a big scowl on his face. And I swear on my Shikon that I had seen tears in his eyes."

"Yeah, that's moody."

"I'm gonna talk to Sango about it," she said. "She probably knows what's wrong."

"Well, has Miroku ever acted like this before?" Inuyasha asked.

"Umm...once, last year when Sango said that there was a chance that her family would be moving. Miroku was so upset; he was completely afraid of not seeing her anymore..." Realization suddenly came upon her.

"You don't think...?" Inuyasha stated.

"Oh boy. What did Miroku do this time?"

- - - - - - - - - -

Tsubaki grinned evilly as she glanced at Sango that afternoon during gymnastics practice, doing the ribbon. Her face was pale and her expression; sad, like a dead person. She was still doing well, but it was only a weak shadow compared to how she normally did; wonderful and full of enthusiasm.

Sango just couldn't seem to concentrate, even as her coach kept pushing her to do better than she was currently doing. She was still so distraught after Miroku had broken up with her. She knew there must have been a reason; if their relationship was not "working," then they would've ended it a long time ago. They had been dating for four years! How is it that he could suddenly come up to her and say that it was over? It didn't make sense. There must have been a better reason, she thought. Had he found someone else? Was he bored with her now? Was he fed up with all the time she had hit him for being lecherous, shocked in the fact that she couldn't see that that was just how he was? Her mind was boggled with questions; yet more by her sorrow. Yes, he was perverted. Yes, he was a goof. Yes, he forgot their anniversaries more than on one occasion. But he was still the same kind, handsome, funny and understanding man she had fallen in love with only a few years ago. And she had never felt more depressed from losing him.

A small, lone tear trickled down her cheek as she did a loop with the ribbon. Suddenly, she heard a whistle blow as she looked over at her coach. She quickly wiped the tear away as the coach made her way towards her.

"Hiraikoha, what's wrong," Coach Yura asked her with a professional slide in her tone. "You used to do a whole lot better than that crapload I just saw."

Sango felt unable to answer her, so she just hung her head low in shame.

"How are we supposed to do well in the championship tournament next week if our star performer isn't up to it? Are you willing to throw away the effort that you, me, all of us have put into this? If so, then I have no choice but to offer the position to another one of our girls, like Tsubaki maybe." Tsubaki giggled slyly as she heard her name.

Half-thinking about her coach's words, Sango found her voice again. "I''m sorry, Coach. My mind is...elsewhere right now." she mumbled, but unable to look her coach in the eye.

Coach Yura looked upon the girl sadly, but still with her professional expression. She placed her hands on her shoulders.

"I can see that you're upset about something," she said. "and if it's personal, then I probably can't do anything about it. But you have to understand, Hiraikoha, that as your coach, I can't afford to have any of my girls unfocused on such an important time such as this, as well as any other time, anyway."

Sango nodded in affirmation.

"It isn't that I don't care. But to see my girls doing their best, good or bad, in that tournament next week is something that I must focus on. Especially from you, Sango. The coach can't pick favorites, but you are the best in this club. Your talent is extraordinary and your optimism to keep trying is so infectuous that it is what carried us so far. Please understand that you may be upset about one matter, but it will be a great mistake if you worry about it so much that you let your teammates down. We believe in you as much as we do in ourselves to carry us to victory. So you have to do the same; understood?"

Sango finally managed to look up at her coach, only to see confidence in her in her eyes. She agreed with her, her pain lifting a little. And with that, she got back to practicing.

While practicing, she decided that she would try and talk to Miroku to actually find out what happened to make him do what he did. A small part of her could tell that he did not mean what he had said, but something else was holding him back, as if to keep him, Sango, or both of them from getting hurt. And if he wouldn't talk to her, she thought that maybe she could ask Kagome to convince him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Kagome was practicing her archery in her backyard after school that day, since she and Inuyasha didn't have a tutoring session. Inuyasha came over, thinking of nothing else better to do, and watched her as she practiced, eating a bag of candy corn.

"So how're things with the maiden and the frog prince?" Inuyasha asked, his mouth full, as he watched an arrow zip past him to hit the outer ring of Kagome's target.

"Miroku's still mopey, but he's at least starting to eat again," Kagome answered worryingly, letting another arrow loose to once again hit the outer ring of the target.

"What are you gonna do?" Another arrow zipped through the air; hitting the third outer ring from the center.

"It's not really any of my concern," Kagome replied sadly. "It's between Miro and Sango. I can only hope it turns out okay." Another arrow flew, hitting the target in the second outer ring from the heart.

"There's gotta be something you can do. I mean, he's your brother. Surely you could try talking to him or something." Inuyasha suggested, landing a candy corn in his mouth.

"I did try. He just won't budge. It's almost like he doesn't trust me to understand anything about his life, even if I've always been there."

"Wow, that sounds a lot like Sesshomaru," the boy commented, his ears twitching in disgust at the mention of his brother's name.

"Yeah, well," She let loose another arrow, which landed on the ring circling the heart of the target. "I just wish I could find out what was going on. I could ask Sango, but how would she know? After all, he was the one who dumped her for no apparent reason, and I doubt she knows the reason why."

"Good point..." Inuyasha agreed, eating another few candy corns. Kagome lowered her bow a little, her head hanging, but kept her eyes on the target.

"It hurts to see my big brother in so much pain. I can plainly see that something or someone made him break up with Sango. He would never do that on his own. He's too dedicated and loving towards her, despite his perverted nature. I just wish I could do something to help, or at least know how to make him feel better..." Kagome lifted her bow again and launched another arrow which landed very close to the heart.

"Just smile for him," Inuyasha told her simply. "and support him. He may be struggling, but I'm sure that you could help to bring him out of that. You love him, right? Then that's all you need."

Kagome looked over at him, and smiled gratefully. "Right." And she launched one more bow, which struck the target right in its core.

- - - - - - - - - -

The next day as school began, Kagome offered to walk with Miroku to his first class. Miroku was grateful; he was still very upset, but he was a little perked up thanks to his sister. Inuyasha followed them, wanting to make sure Kagome got to her class on time.

Meanwhile, Inuyasha could've sworn he heard someone near him talking about him and Sango. Leaving the brother and sister, he followed the voice until he came to a girls' bathroom, the gossipers going inside. Leaning against the wall near the door, as he obviously could go no further, he leaned against it and acted as if he was just hanging around, all the while keeping his ears perked at the girls' suspicious conversation.

"...and he actually did it?" one girl said.

"Yeah. That weak minded perv will do whatever I want so long as I have these pictures..." Inuyasha's brows raised at this. "...and these." He didn't know what these was, but he was sure as hell he didn't wanna find out as he heard the other girl giggle.

"So what's that got to do with Hiraikoha?"

"Easy. He dumped her; she loses her confidence and can't compete in the championship, which means I get to take her place. He tells her, or anyone else, then I show her the pics myself, telling her what 'happened', and she hates him forever. Since he didn't tell her, she feels crushed and may still hate him. Either way, I win. Great plan, eh?"

"Ohh, Tsubaki, you are mean!" Then they started laughing.

Inuyasha couldn't believe it! Tsubaki was blackmailing Miroku! That's why he broke up with her; he didn't want her to think he cheated on her. And if he didn't, then she would show her the pictures, lie about what happened, and she'd still think he cheated on her. It was a no-win situation!

He had to tell Kagome!

____________________

Inuyasha has discovered the truth behind Tsubaki's scandal! What will happen next? Find out in the next chapter of You Are Not Alone! ~silverfeather