InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Haven't Lived Until You've Loved ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You Haven't Lived Until You've Loved
 
Chapter 1: The Beginning
 
(Author notes at bottom along with Japanese words and their meanings.)
 
<><><><>
 
Click. Click. Click.
 
Inuyasha's ear twitched as he turned his attention from his computer screen to the young raven-haired woman leaning over a table tapping her pen lightly on the wood.
 
Click. Click. Click.
 
“Kagome?” The half-demon said as he turned around in his chair.
 
“Mhm?” She held the ballpoint in one hand doodling on the piece of paper she had been writing on. Her long midnight tresses were pulled back in a loose ponytail. Chocolate hues concentrating on their work.
 
“Could you stop hitting your pen against the desk?”
 
Kagome sighed dropping the pen and handed the paper to Inuyasha. He took it and began to read, his ears twitching every once in awhile as he did so. “Your mom, your grandpa, Souta, Sango, Rin, Ayame, Kouga.” Inuyasha growled. “You're inviting that bastard to our wedding?”
 
Kagome frowned taking the paper back. “Kouga's my friend, as well as Ayame's boyfriend. Besides, I thought about inviting Hojou-kun.”
 
“No way in hell.”
 
“Don't worry. I decided against it,” She said with a small laugh. Inuyasha leaned forward and captured her lips in a chaste kiss. “How many you have so far?” The young woman asked a she pulled away.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha turned around in his char and hit the PRINT button on the screen waiting impatiently as the printer finished, well, printing. He picked up the paper. “Dad, Mom, Miroku, Bankotsu and his gang, Shippou, Kohaku, Aunt Rumiko…”
 
“Ano, what about Sesshoumaru?”
 
“What about him? That bastard isn't invited.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“Fine, but you're inviting him,” Inuyasha muttered giving into her wishes.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and scribbled `Sesshoumaru' down on her piece of paper. In only one month she and Inuyasha would be married and after a short honeymoon in America they would move into the penthouse they had already purchased. “Make sure we didn't forget anyone.” She said standing up. “I'm going to meet Sango, Rin, and Kagura at that little coffee shop.”
 
“Leave me with all the hard work,” The hanyou grumbled as she placed a kiss on the top of his nose and departed. He sighed once she had left the room. After waiting so long, she would finally be his…
 
<><><><>
 
The air within the greenhouse was humid, condensation clinging to parts of the glass plant-lined walls. In the center of the greenhouse was a miniature waterfall surrounded by an array of pastel-colored flowers, carp swimming beneath the water. It was here where she made her living. Coming every weekday for five hours to shuffle about in a kimono attending to plants and customers.
 
Most said she was lucky, to have such an easy job with such a high pay. Rin of course, held a highly different view. Did any of these people stop to think how hot layers of thick clothing was even without the sticky humid air of the greenhouse? Or how hours of walking about in uncomfortable wooden sandals killed your feet? Or how hard it was to put your hair up in the same intricate design day in and day out?
 
Humming softly as she put away the watering can, Rin made sue everything was in order before she locked up and left. “Hope Kagome doesn't mind me a bit late,” Rin muttered locking the main door and starting down the crowded Tokyo sidewalk. She decided to skip the thirty-minute walk to her apartment, the coffee shop being less then ten minutes away by foot.
 
“Hey watch where you're going!” The young woman cried out angrily as a person walking by pushed her to the side. With gritted teeth she continued to weave in and out of the masses of people, occasionally being jostled, shoved, or bumped. Thus was the way of life in the over-crowded city.
 
Continuing her awkward walk do to the traditional kimono, Rin smiled despite being elbowed once more as the coffee shop came into view. “Move it!” A man cried from behind her making her notice she had stopped completely. “We don't have all day we have places to be!”
 
She was about to cry out when she felt his hands on her, but it was replaced with a squeak when he shoved her forward and continued on his way. Rin stumbled forward missing the man's face and hit something hard. Slightly dazed, she staggered backwards. It was too soft to have been a wall, but it had still been quite solid.
 
Catching her balance Rin straightened her kimono, as she usually had to do after falling over something in the greenhouse. “Gomen nasai. Onegai, forgive me,” The young woman looked up, her chocolate hues coming to rest on whoever she'd run into.
 
It was another man, or from what she could tell in appearance, demon. What caught her off guard were his regal features. Long silver hair fell straight, long, and silky behind him, two magenta stripes across each cheek and a navy-blue crescent in the center of his brow. His golden eyes, which she could have stared at for hours, and expression, were deadpan. Not to mention he seemed to have a great body…
 
Rin blushed lightly and looked away when she realized she had been gawking at him. Idiot! With another muttered sorry she brushed past him and continued on her way and failed to notice the swarm of people that followed him and the many camera flashes. She reexamined her view on crowded Tokyo. There was always a bright side. This time being she would never have to see that man and embarrass herself again.
 
Walking only a ways further, she entered the small coffee bar.
 
<><><><>
 
“Ohayou Rin!” Kagome greeted her cheerfully as Rin joined the group at a booth near the back of the shop.
 
“Kawaii outfit girl, where'd you get it?” Sango asked with a small laugh.
 
Rin grinned positioning herself so that she could look out the nearby window and at all her friends. “It's only the latest fashion from Miko Enterprise. Miss Kikyou herself wears them.” They had a small laugh.
 
Kagura took a sip of her cappuccino. The same cappuccino she always drank, no matter where the group went. “Doesn't seem skimpy enough for her to wear.”
 
“Hey we didn't come here to talk about that witch.” Kagome reminded them. “I'm getting married in a month!” The raven-haired woman sighed dreamily. “Kagome Higurashi Takahashi. It's perfect!”
 
“Ugh. That reminds me. Miroku proposed again,” Sango said frowning.
 
“Why don't you just accept?” Rin asked, “You to have been dating since high school.”
 
Sango looked down at her lap. “I know, and I want too, but what if he leaves me? He is such a lech.”
 
“Then we'd kill him.” Kagura shrugged. “No one gets away with something like that.”
 
Rin dug around in the folds of her kimono until he pulled out a coin purse with some money in it. “You found yourself a man yet Kagura?” She asked waiting to order.
 
The demoness's crimson hues lit up at the question and she produced a picture clipped from a magazine out of her purse. “Yea, right here.” She placed it in the center of the table for everyone to see. “He just doesn't know it yet.”
 
“Sesshoumaru!” Sango and Kagome both cried with a laugh.
 
“Setting your sights high then,” Kagome said, “You two know that Inuyasha's his half-brother right?” Sango and Kagura's mouth formed O's as they continued listening to Kagome. Rin remained silent, staring at the forgotten picture.
 
She almost said something about her little rendezvous with the famed, but decided to keep quiet. Why hadn't she noticed it was him before? Clueless…Rin thought. She vaguely wondered how many woman and girls out there would have killed to even get close to him. And I walked smack into him! Too bad I never was one for following the famous…
 
“Yea, a whole year with Inuyasha and I haven't even seen Sesshoumaru once, except from a distance,” Kagome finished with a nod.
 
“He doesn't seem like a real social person,” Sango commented, “The only picture they have of Sesshoumaru smiling is his most famous one.”
 
Kagura pocketed the picture she'd clipped from a magazine. “He'll still be mine. Maybe he'll come to your wedding Kagome. I already got the day off to come.”
 
“Rin you alright? You're quiet today.” Kagome said looking over at her.
 
“Yea, just tired,” She lied nonchalantly. “Why is it we come to this little place anyway?”
 
“No one would think to look for Kagome here. I still see guys drooling over her posters. And she quit modeling last year!”
 
Kagome blushed. “You quit half a year ago Sango and they still stare at you too.”
 
“You two are the lucky ones. I still model and people would rather stare at you.” Kagura laughed softly.
 
Rin sighed. She was lucky. All her college friends had gotten big and made a fortune and never forgotten about plain old Rin. They could have, but they never did. “One of you guys mind giving me a lift? I hate walking around in this.”
 
“I'll take you home Rin-chan,” Kagome offered.
 
“Arigatou Kagome-chan.”
 
Sango's face brightened remembering something. “Oh Rin. Kohaku said to tell you he got your birthday gift.”
 
“He's too sweet…” Rin muttered softly, “I wish I didn't get so nervous around guys.”
 
“It'll pass,” Kagura said, “You just have to find some common ground with them or something. Slap them if their eyes wonder.”
 
“Exactly,” Sango agreed.
 
<><><><>
 
He stepped off the elevator glad the paparazzi was finally gone, but from looking at his face you wouldn't have known. It held the same impassive expression it always did. And entering a set of double doors, he stepped into a completely different world, but, even though in a different means, the spotlight refused to leave.
 
“Mr. Takahashi the orders are in!” A secretary called to him as he walked past.
 
“Forward them to the second floor,” Sesshoumaru ordered walking past with his sight set on his own private office.
 
A small green imp ran up and struggled to keep up with Sesshoumaru's pace as he trotted along beside him. “Naraku's business is growing milord!” The inu-youkai ignored Jaken's unending problem of referring to him as `lord'. He merely excused it as the imp doing drugs or something. “He threatens to overrun us!”
 
“Is that all you have to say?” Sesshoumaru said stopping outside his door.
 
“Y-yes milord.” Jaken scurried off. Turning his attention away from the toad, Sesshoumaru entered his office.
 
He slid into the chair behind his desk and stared down at a stack of papers demanding his signature. Grabbing a pen he began to read through them and sign his name on the bottom, but his mind was not on his work. It kept wandering back to that girl.
 
He had even muttered a curse under breath when she ran into him. More squealing girls, he'd thought. And they always seemed right next to his ears. But instead, she'd apologized and carried on. After a good amount of staring, but she hadn't started squealing or shown any sign of recognition. Years ago when he considered himself still `stupid'; he would have found this strange. Though now, he had learned to respect such people.
 
And sometimes on the rare occasions when Sesshoumaru found himself idle, he wondered if there was more to his life then just being a worshipped by thousands of girls-and some men-who thought they could name every aspect of his life.
 
<><><><>
 
Rin was silent watching the scenery whiz by outside her window. Skyscrapers, bustling walkways, jammed parking lots. The faint sound of a fire truck's wail in the distance grew louder as it neared. She frowned slightly as it rushed by and turned down a street. “I hope no one's hurt,” Kagome said softly. “They seem to be heading to the area you live Rin.”
 
“I'm sure it's not bad,” The young woman reassured her friend.
 
They turned down a few more streets and Rin bent down to put her wooden sandals back on. Kagome gasped slamming on the vehicle's brakes. With a sharp cry of pain Rin's head rammed into dashboard. She pulled up quickly rubbing her head. “Why did you-”
 
“RIN! Your apartment!” Kagome screamed. Her complexion had become almost a complete white.
 
(A/n: Yea… wow… didn't see that coming did you? So out of the blue. [Insert sarcasm here])
 
“Oh Kami-sama!” Rin heaved against the car door grabbing the handle. It swung open violently and she ran across the congested street. Ducking under yellow police lines and ignoring the yelling officers she continued to run.
 
“Miss! I said stay back!” A man yelled angrily taking hold of her arm and stopping her. Silent tears slipped down her cheeks. She could feel the intense heat of the flames as she stood helplessly watching her world go up in smoke.
 
<><><><>
 
A/N: “Why haven't you finished The Old Switcheroo?” “Write more to Switch!” “What about Change of Heart!?” Yea, yea. I hear you guys. I also know where you are coming from. I hate when you get into fanfic and then it just stops. You're just left like: O_O What next!
 
Gomen. I'm starting a new fanfic… again! I'll get around to the others. Hurray, hurrah! It was my newly charged Sesshoumaru x Rin drive that has sent me into action. I WILL complete this story.
 
The main pairing is, of course, Sesshoumaru x Rin. The second being Inuyasha x Kagome. There is Sango x Miroku and other minor pairings as well. Kikyou and Kagura will be thrown in to mess things up too. Forgive any OOCness, especially with my dear dog demon Sesshou-sama, he'll get more in character as he comes more into the story. And that would be… chapter two?
 
This chapter was rather boring I know. So you have my thanks if you bothered to read it. It was mostly just to introduce you to the story. Leave any questions in a review or email me. By the way… REVIEW!!!!
 
Arigatou: Thanks.
Gomen nasai: I'm sorry
Inu: Dog
Youkai: Demon
Miko: Priestess
Hanyou: half demon
Think that is all I used… REVIEW!!!!