InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Haven't Lived Until You've Loved ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You Haven't Lived `til You've Loved
 
Chapter 2: New Residence
 
<><><><>
 
Nothing left. Everything gone. Pets were killed as well. Nothing left.
 
The sobs that racked her body had finally subsided. She wiped furiously at her cheeks to get the last of her tears only to have her eyes brim with them, and the cycle begin again. Kagome was there the whole time trying her best to comfort Rin. There wasn't much the woman could really do or say. Her friend's home had just been reduced to ash without warning.
 
Bad lines. A spark.
 
“Where am I going to stay?” Rin whispered after her tears stopped again. “I have no family. I have no where to go.”
 
Kagome forced a reassuring smile. “We're your family Rin. You can stay with one of us.”
 
Rin shook her head. “No. You live with Inuyasha, Sango with Miroku, and Kagura already has two roommates. I have no money for a hotel…”
 
“We can give you the money,” Kagome offered. “And you can pay us back if you want.”
 
“Iie. I can't accept that from you,” She muttered shaking her head from side to side slowly.
 
For nearly a week Rin talked with insurance companies, land owners, investigators. She was allowed a ten-day leave from work and used what little money she had to put up in a hotel for a few days. Now, the fifth day since the fire, she woke up for the first time without the need to wipe at her eyes. I'll make it little by little, She thought. That's the only way I can do this.
 
Pulling on a pair of jeans and an orange shirt, Rin departed. She hurried through the crowded city weaving in-and-out of the masses of people that all seemed to be pressing against her. Occasionally she'd bump into someone. Ignoring their mumbled curses she'd continue onward. And in the city of millions one lone girl began her quest for the coffee shop! Rin thought.
 
She smiled entering the small place. Spotting her friends in their normal booth in the back she joined them. “Ohayou guys, beautiful morning, ne?” Rin said idly. Sango, Kagura, and Kagome exchanged glances. Feeling uncomfortable by the silence following her greeting, Rin rolled her eyes. “What now?”
 
“I have been talking with Inuyasha,” Kagome said slowly as if testing the words on her lips, “and after talking with Sango and Kagura we've decided on a solution to your housing problem.”
 
“As jealous as it may make me,” Kagura interjected with a nod.
 
Sango sighed and decided to continue for the group. “Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha's brother-”
 
“Half,” Kagura interrupted.
 
Sango nodded. “Half-brother, is going away for a few months to America on a business trip! So his house will be left unoccupied for a few months! You could just move in while he's-”
 
Rin shot out of her seat leaping away from her friends. “Are you nuts?! Me? Staying in some guy's - no - The Sesshoumaru's house for a few months without his consent!” She shook her head back and forth slowly in disbelief. “You are nuts.”
 
“Coconuts,” Kagome agreed. “Now stop causing a scene and sit back down.”
 
The young woman blushed furiously becoming suddenly aware of the number of eyes on her. With a `humph' loud enough to be heard, Rin sat back down. “No.” She said firmly. Kagome began tapping the table with the tips of her nails signaling she was in deep thought.
 
“Why not?” Kagome asked, “What if we got his consent. Then would you?”
 
“Kagome,” Rin groaned. “He's the richest man in Japan, maybe in the whole eastern hemisphere! I've never even met him!” A little white lie, but no one would ever know. Not that it really mattered any. “I can't stay in his home, permission or not.”
 
Kagura slammed her spoon down on the table making everyone's eyes snap to her “Come on. Someone would think you're guy-phobic. You have just been offered a chance to live in the house of Sesshoumaru and you refuse? You know how many people would die to trade places with you? I would!” She pulled her magazine clipping from her purse and thrust it into Rin's face. “This isn't any man we're talking about here Rin! It's Sesshoumaru!”
 
Rin pushed the clipping away. “Not everyone is obsessed over him like you.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Please Rin? For us? I can't get married knowing my friend is staying in some cheap hotel.”
 
“Hey! It's sort of cozy!” She defended feeling suddenly insulted.
 
The raven-haired woman shook her head. “If you don't do this, I won't marry Inuyasha.”
 
“You're bluffing!” Rin accused.
 
Sango folded her arms across her chest with a sly smile, “We all know she doesn't bluff.”
 
Rin stared hard on the table in front of her. She bit her bottom lip, focusing on a small area where the paint was chipped. Were these really her friends? Sango's right. Kagome doesn't bluff. If she doesn't marry Inuyasha it will be my fault entirely… “I…”
 
“Yes?” Kagura pressured pushing the magazine clipping of Sesshoumaru forward again.
 
“…I… will,” Rin whispered.
 
“Huzzah!” Kagome whooped. In her celebration she picked up a steak knife and stabbed it into the table. Everyone stopped, staring at her with wide eyes. “I can pay for that,” She squeaked meekly.
 
<><><><>
 
Kagome ushered Inuyasha into the lobby and sat down in a chair to wait. Fists clenched at his sides, the hanyou joined her. His soon-to-be mate began idly flipping through a magazine she'd picked up on the way in. He scowled. Why was he even in here waiting to speak with his half-brother? There was no way he was going through with this!
 
“It's for Rin,” Kagome said firmly without looking up. Inuyasha tensed a bit. Could she read his mind? “And no, I can't read your mind.”
 
“You just did!” Inuyasha growled out his annoyance.
 
The young woman giggled softly. “You're just so easy to read,” She whispered tenderly. A smile tugged at her lips when his ears twitched. Kagome turned back to her magazine. She clicked her tongue finding the horoscopes of the magazine in her hands and began to read her own.
 
Two people will have a great impact on your life this week. At least one will be of the opposite sex. Keep a smile on your face and make positive choices. A surprise is in store for you this week.
Lucky day: Friday
Lucky numbers: 22, 6, 19
 
The sitting areas artificial light grated on Inuyasha's nerves for some unknown reason. E detested the sticky-sweet smell that wafted through the room; undoubtedly the receptionist's bad taste in perfume. It was clear she was youkai, so one might wonder if she had lost her sense of smell. The half demon's gaze fell on a stack of nearby newspapers. The headlines meant nothing to him, so he moved on to staring intently at Kagome.
 
“Sesshoumaru-san will see you now,” a young kitsune announced from the desk. Task complete she went back to her computer. Inuyasha and Kagome, being the only ones in the room, assumed the statement had been directed to them. They stood. The raven-haired woman slipped her hand into the hanyou's leading him through a door.
 
“No insults, no glares, nothing,” Kagome informed him in a low-tone, “Keep civilized and pretend for once you're grateful to see him. Remember, if nothing else, this is for Rin.” Inuyasha scowled. He didn't even know this `Rin' that well. Why should he care about her well-being? Not like Sesshoumaru would agree to this anyway. To simplify it, it was a complete and utter waste of time. His time.
 
Kagome halted in the middle of a vast room cluttered with occupied desks. It was lit by the same artificial light. The demons and humans took no notice of the couple and continued with their work. The sounds of voices, beeps, buzzes, clicks, and clacks joined into one loud roar. This was exactly the reason Inuyasha had chosen not to go into business. Youkai sports were more his style anyway.
 
How anyone could not want to take up youkai sports amazed him. How could one not enjoy a more brutal, more exciting, more fatal, upgraded version of human sports?
 
“Inuyasha, where is his office anyway?” Kagome asked biting her lower lip. Her fingers itched for something to tap. With a roll of his eyes Inuyasha caught his brother's scent and took the lead.
 
Reaching the goal, he halted outside Sesshoumaru's door. “Arigatou,” Kagome whispered with a faint smile. She stepped in front of him and opened the door.
 
The moment Inuyasha entered he became immediately anxious to go. Angry heat swelled within him and he fought to suppress a feral growl. Kagome stopped in front of the desk bowing her head slightly, giving the respect due. She nudged Inuyasha in the ribs with her elbow, but he ignored her. “Thank you for taking time to see us Sesshoumaru-san.”
 
Inuyasha scowled. -San? She doesn't have to call that bastard -san, or any other respectful something.
 
Sesshoumaru looked Inuyasha and his half-brother's wench over quickly. His gaze locked and lingered on Inuyasha's for only a moment's time before moving on. His emotionless façade was in place, as was usual. “Indeed.” The youkai said steadily with the slightest air of annoyance laced in into his voice.
 
“I've come to ask a favor,” Kagome continued look up now. She fought to keep her voice calm, but something about Sesshoumaru unnerved her and filled her with a foreboding sense. “A close friend of mine, Rin Nishimori, lost her home to a fire. Since you're going away on a business trip for awhile I just thought that maybe-”
 
“Your friend could reside in my home while I am away,” Sesshoumaru finished in his emotionless voice. His eyes darted form Kagome's face to the digital clock on is desk. A meeting in five minutes, and he was stuck with his half-breed brother and wench. “Why can your friend - Rin,” He said recalling the name, “not simply put up in a hotel?”
 
Inuyasha growled. He detested the sharp layer of apprehension coating his Kagome's normally happy-go-lucky scent. “Because unlike you, she isn't rich and hotels in Tokyo are expensive, bastard.”
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome groaned despairingly. Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed.
 
“Is she not welcome in your home?”
 
“There isn't any room, otherwise we'd gladly accept her.”
 
The inu youkai's eyes darted to his clock again. Twenty-five delegates all waiting to meet with him and he was late. Sesshoumaru was never late. “No,” he said firmly standing up.
 
Her apprehensive dissolved, replaced with a defiant gleam in her eyes. Kagome folded her arms across her chest. “I won't leave until you agree.” Inuyasha blinked in mild surprise, but remained quiet.
 
“Then I'm afraid you'll be waiting a very long time,” Sesshoumaru said callously.
 
Desperate Kagome covered her face with her hands. The sharp smell of salt pricked both brothers' noses along with the sound of muffled sniffles. Inuyasha glared at his brother, moving to wrap his arms around Kagome. She must really want this…
 
Sesshoumaru almost growled, but concealed it. What was it about a crying female of any race that immediately made him give in to their wills? Face expressionless as ever, he spoke. “She can stay, as long as she is gone by my return. I'll be departing tomorrow.” With that he brushed past and left the woman and hanyou alone in a quick-paced walk.
 
Kagome's sobs subsided with the fading sound of Sesshoumaru's footsteps. She grinned. “We won!”
 
Inuyasha stared at her. “You mean, you weren't really crying?”
 
She rolled her eyes. “Of course not, I had to get him to agree somehow.”
 
“How'd you know that would work?”
 
“Always works on you, and it worked on your father once. It seems to be a family trait.”
 
Inuyasha opened his mouth to say something, but shut it. “Let's just go,” he said sullenly.
 
“Of course your majesty!” Kagome chirped leading the way gladly.
 
<><><><>
 
Rin held her breath stepping into the penthouse. She took in her new surroundings, bewildered. A large, floor-to-ceiling window seemed to wrap around the whole place giving a non-obstructed view of Tokyo below. She nearly fell forward, but regained her balance. “Rin-chan, is something wrong?” Kagome asked. The young woman snapped from her thoughts. She'd forgotten her friend was even there.
 
“No, I'm alright,” she breathed. Her hand tightened on the handle of her suitcase. “Are you sure… this is alright?” Kagome merely sighed stepping around Rin's awe-struck form. She tapped against the surface of a small table.
 
She had to wonder, what could Sesshoumaru possibly need all this room for? There was one large room with the wrap-around window, a wide hallway leading to what she presumed to be bedrooms and bathrooms. The kitchen was too her left, spacious. The whole place screamed DON'T TOUCH. It all looked so clean. Furniture and such was arranged too look almost casually placed, but anyone with eyes could see a well-paid designer had very carefully done it.
 
“I have to admit, he knows how to live,” Kagome said absentmindedly.
 
Rin groaned. “Kagome! I can't do this!”
 
“Of course you can, Sesshoumaru even said so. Inuyasha asked him just yesterday.” While speaking the young woman had wondered further into the penthouse. Now she was leaning over a large, black grand piano sitting right next to the window. She plucked one of the keys and a perfectly tuned high note pierced the air. “Just pick up after yourself and be out before Sesshoumaru gets back.”
 
“Which is when?” Rin asked nervously.
 
“Well he's going to America so… a few months.” Now Kagome was admiring a set of glass figurines. Her eyes lingered on the crystal, miniature dog. By the even smaller human-shaped figures beside it was clear the dog was meant to be massive in comparison. Strange. “You'll have a new house by then anyway, so everything's fine.”
 
“I don't feel comfortable with this.”
 
Coming back over to Rin Kagome sighed softly. “It's fine. This place even has top-notch security! Indulge in new luxurious life for a bit. I'll be back tomorrow morning, first thing. Be awake, or I'll wake you. Sesshoumaru said the key to the place is…” She trailed off taking a step to her left to stand beside a painting of the night sky. Kagome gingerly moved the picture to the side revealing a small safe in the wall.
 
“Combination 6-34-2.” She read looking off a slip of paper before handing it to Rin. “I've been warned if ANYTHING in that safe other than the key is touched Sesshoumaru will not be pleased. Jaa ne, Rin-chan!” With that, Kagome was gone leaving the bewildered girl to herself.
 
Rin checked to make sure the door was locked and then took to wondering around her temporary home. She felt wrong, like she was breaking into someone's home. Her chocolate hues wondered over every inch of the grand piano. Her body sat down on the bench without her mind's consent. Reaching forth timidly, she placed her hands over the keys. Suddenly aware of her actions, Rin pulled her hand away and stood up.
 
Slowly making her way through the hall she clung to her suitcase. That and her clothes she wore seemed the only things unalien at the moment. Rin discovered an overly large bathroom, a study, and finally, a bedroom. Entering it she tossed her suitcase down. Scanning every inch of it with great care, she decided it must be an extra bedroom. It seemed completely unlived in. I'll just get things… put away.
 
She moved to the ornate dresser. The room's theme seemed to be midnight blue and silver. Both colors suited her fine. At least this guy wasn't an eccentric millionaire. Tugging open a dresser she blushed furiously. Rin slammed it shut, snatched up her suitcase, and hurried from the room. Oh my god! She thought exasperated. Out of all the drawers, his underwear drawer?! She blushed again at the thought.
 
Eventually, she discovered a truly unoccupied room and settled in as well as she could. This one wasn't as regal looking as the other, but she found it better that way. Rin collapsed on to the Western-style bed. She hugged the foreign pillow to her chest and closed her eyes.
 
She felt so alien, like an outcast in this strange place. The feelings were familiar, and so were the memories that the feelings brought. Silently she pulled the pillow closer and wept softly, ashamed of herself.
 
It had been so long ago when she had been placed in an orphanage. Her parents had been murdered when three men broke into their apartment. She'd grown up there, going to the same high school with Sango, Kagome, and Kagura. All three moved on to greater things becoming part of the many other famous and beautiful. Rin had as kind a heart as any of them, and was without a doubt the most intelligent of the four, but her looks were plain.
 
Kicked out of the orphanage at eighteen she got a job and bought a home all her own. She'd remained close with her high school friends despite the differences on the social latter. A few boyfriends here and there, single most of her life.
 
Rin's tears dried and she drifted into a fitful sleep. She could only hope the next day provided something worth looking forward too.
 
<><><><>
 
Bleh. I'm very disappointed with myself. Especially for the end of this chapter. It sucked. I just wanted to get some quick history of Rin in there. I expected to get Sesshoumaru in this chapter, but that would make it too long. He'll be in the next one fo' sure. Man I' ma horrid author! ::Sob:: All well. I went outside and built a psychotic (Yes, no joke) snowman with my little brother and lost all inspiration after that!
 
Q: Is Sesshoumaru a model or what?
A: No. Sorry for the confusion. He's just a really rich guy. Not everyone loves him either. Kagura is just obsessed over him along with quite a bit of other girls.
 
Q: Are you going to update Change of heart?
A: Um… moving on?
 
Q: Is Rin a model?
A: Nope. Worked at the greenhouse job since she was old enough to work.
 
Youkai: Demon
Inu: Dog
Arigatou: Thank you
Onegai: Please
Hanyou: Half demon
Iie: No
Hai: Yes
 
Vimpire-dogdemongirl89: Thanks. ::Huggles:: Do you read all my stories? o.o
Angels_Heart_122: Well, I always portray him that way because I'm a rabid Sesshou fan girl: I don't know about the other people.
Lady0ftheeast-sessfan: Thanks! ::Glomps::
Akeryou: Hope this chapter didn't let you down too much. ::Sighs::
Chew Chew: He'll be in the next one I promise!
 
Thank you for all the reviews Chranze, lemony4life, Minoriko, Kikyohater1329, Alyanorne, Icy girl, and Kuramas gurl!!!
 
::Drops to hands and knees:: PLEASE REVIEW! Good or bad! I don't care!