InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Young at Heart ❯ Devastation of the Western Lands ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Twenty-Two: The Wrong Way
 
Sesshoumaru didn't know how long he had run for, but at that moment, he really didn't care. He had heard the rage in Kagome's voice, not to mention Sango's. Wrinkling his nose, he rather liked the youkai exterminator. Shaking his head, Sesshoumaru jumped over a log, and glanced down once again at his hands, which were covered in the strange war paint he had found in Kagome's pack.
At first he had been searching for that book, but the colorful war paint had caught his attention. Smirking to himself, he almost laughed but suppressed it quickly. The war paint was greasy and powdery, not at all like what the humans wore when going to war and he was now confused. Not only confused, but rather fearful of his life.
Jumping off the small narrow trail, he slipped and slid on a few stray leaves, and pitched forward. Releasing a soft cry of surprise, Sesshoumaru plummeted down the slight incline and he heard his new haori tear as it caught on a branch. He quickly regained his feet and stared down at the pulled threads and small tears.
Wincing, he sighed. Sango was going to be so angry with him. Shaking his head, he turned around, fully intending on heading back up to the trail, but he stopped and winced as soft material filled his vision rather then greenery. Taking a hesitant step back, he looked up and swallowed.
Releasing his breath, that he wasn't aware he had been holding, Sesshoumaru felt his mouth drop open. It was the wind youkai.
Kagura raised her eyebrows curiously, staring down at the small version of Sesshoumaru, and she tilted her head to the side curiously. She had been sitting in this small glade for a while; staring at the picture he had given her as a gift. Something had banged into her legs, which had caused her to bolt upright, fearing it was Naraku. However to her relief, it was only Sesshoumaru.
Kneeling down, she stared into the familiar gold eyes and gave a small smile, not really sure what else to do. She knew how deadly his claws were. “What are you doing all the way out here?” She asked curiously. Her red eyes caught his hands and she asked another question. “What is all over your hands?”
Immediately, Sesshoumaru's hands shot behind his back, and he blinked. “Nothing.” He whispered.
Kagura shook her head. “I see, full of mischief as a pup, huh? Definitely not the cold hearted uncaring Inuyoukai, I have come to know.”
Sesshoumaru frowned. “Why does everyone call me cold hearted?” He didn't like that name. His father was a powerful youkai, and he was never called cold hearted.
Kagura raised her eyes surprised. “That is what you are. Even to me, child.”
Sesshoumaru lowered his head and peered at his toes. Was he really as bad as they all made him out to be? Nodding sadly, Sesshoumaru dug his toe into the dirt.
“Come, let's clean up your wounds, and then get you back to the others. From what Naraku tells me, you are searching for a tear in the sky. My sister tells me that this rift will turn you back into your true selves.” Kagura took his hands from behind his back and lead him through the trees until they came to a small trickling flow of water.
Sesshoumaru knelt down beside it, and smiled. “It's a mountain stream.”
Kagura shook her head, feeling the skin on her arms prickle at that smile. All she could picture was an adult Sesshoumaru smiling, and that didn't pose well for anyone. Bending down beside him, she took out a small cloth and dampened it, and then began wiping the small scratches off his face and then the paint off his hands.
Sesshoumaru remained quiet, not sure what to say, but then she had mentioned this Naraku character that his companions talked about. “Who is Naraku? If my companions don't like him, and from what I can tell, you don't either, why do you follow him?”
Kagura was taken by surprise at the incredibly adult question. Blinking she pursed her lips. “Naraku is my creator. He holds my heart.”
Sesshoumaru's mouth opened in a large oh, and he frowned. “Creator? You mean like your father?”
Kagura shuddered, but nodded.
“So how does he hold your heart? I thought only a love interest could do that.”
Kagura's eyes opened wide. “Uhh, well he has it to ensure I don't betray him.”
Sesshoumaru nodded. “If I were you, I would take back my heart and run away.”
Kagura giggled. “If it were that easy, then I would have done that long ago, Sesshoumaru.”
Sesshoumaru tilted his head to the side curiously. “Well, you can do it. Naraku isn't so scary.”
Kagura glanced at him shocked. How little he knew. “Don't you remember Naraku at all?”
Sesshoumaru nodded, and stuck his nose in the air, crossing his arms. “Of course I do. He is just a hanyou. My father could defeat him without blinking. I could too. He is just a coward.”
Kagura sighed. “Where are your companions, Sesshoumaru?”
The small youkai blinked and turned to face her. “Oh yeah. I…well, you see, I ran away. Kagome is really angry right now, so I out ran her voice so she couldn't stop me.”
Kagura opened her eyes widely. “Why did you run away? What did you do to make her angry?” She knew what the young miko was like when angered.
“Why do you think I did something?” Sesshoumaru asked, placing his hands on his hips.
“Because you look guilty of something. Not to mention you are out here alone, and covered with some strange substance.” Kagura rolled her eyes and giggled.
“It was in Kagome's bag. I was looking for this book I was reading, but she told me I was too young to read it.” Sesshoumaru explained. “When I couldn't find the book, I found this strange war paint, so I made them all look like youkai. I thought they looked good.”
Kagura felt the air leave her lungs quickly, and she sucked in her breath sharply. “You colored your companions so they would look like youkai?” If his handy work with the war paint was anything like the colored drawing he had gifted her with, then Kagura could only image what they looked like. The rainbow of colors that filled her mind caused her to throw back her head and laugh joyously.
Sesshoumaru watched the pretty youkai laugh and he frowned. “Why are you laughing? I thought they looked good.”
Kagura nodded, and rubbed the tears from her eyes. “Oh, Sesshoumaru. Why can't you be like this in your adult form?”
Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes. “So I'm really mean when I'm an adult?” He said sadly.
Kagura peered at him and sighed. “Not mean, but you are…how should I put this…somewhat detached. You are nothing at all like Inuyasha. His emotion shows clearly on his face, but you are always like marble.”
Sesshoumaru nodded, and turned away. Whispering softly, he knelt beside the small trickling spring. “What if I don't want to be like that?”
Kagura watched him lazily draw circles in the water and she stood, brushing off her kimono. “I think we should take you back to your companions. Naraku will notice me gone and come looking for me. If he catches you here with me, who knows what devious plot he will come up with.”
Sesshoumaru turned his head to stare at her. “He uses plots and games rather than fight like a real man? How pathetic.”
Kagura turned to stare at him. “That's the Sesshoumaru I know.”
Sesshoumaru frowned and stood up. He walked up to her side, and suddenly felt nervous. She was so pretty, he realized as he glanced up into her face. Taking a deep breath, he slowly slipped his hand into hers and grinned when she first jumped at the contact, but finally relaxed and gripped his hand.
“Come on, puppy.” Kagura winked at him as she began walking towards where she had seen the group the night before.
Sesshoumaru allowed a small-satisfied smile to cross his face. He felt happy. Here was a very pretty youkai lady, one who had caught his eyes, and now she was returning him to his companions. To Sango, who he had started to like more and more because of her determination and strength. Back to Miroku, the monk, who showed nothing but compassion and dedication to those he considered worthy of his attention.
Rolling his eyes, Sesshoumaru recalled that the monk found Sango attractive. He had caught the monk a few times trying to grope the lady and Sesshoumaru frowned, wondering if that was males did to get the females attentions. For a moment, he glanced over at Kagura, and then shuddered, and snapped his head forward. If he remembered correctly, the lady Sango had been rather angry at the monk for groping her, and Sesshoumaru had no intentions of getting hit by this lovely youkai beside him.
Kagura was nice enough to return him to Shippo, who despite being annoying at times with his high pitched voice, was an alright kitsune pup. Shrugging, Sesshoumaru grinned, remembering Kirara. The two tailed cat who liked to snuggle up to him at night for a few hours, before returning to her master.
There was also his annoying brother, who despite being annoying at times, was rather brave for being so small. Inuyasha was full of emotion, which took Sesshoumaru by surprise at times, but he rather liked the small inuyoukai who called him brother. In fact, Sesshoumaru felt more at ease, knowing he had a relation in the group. Inuyasha seemed to shower him with happiness and love, and Sesshoumaru pondered the feelings that filled him regarding the hanyou.
Shrugging again, Sesshoumaru smiled slowly, remembering Rin and Jaken and Ah Un who were a part of his group according to the youkai slayer. Rin was such a happy and innocent child that all Sesshoumaru wanted to do was to ensure her safety. Jaken, even though he was extremely frustrating, was a bonus to them. He always sought to please those around him, but more importantly him.
Then there was Kagome. Sesshoumaru's foot froze in mid air, and he gulped. She had a power over him that no one else did. Kagura stopped and glanced at him curiously. Sesshoumaru shrugged and shook his head at her silent question and he once again walked beside her. They crossed beside a large field and Sesshoumaru found his eyes traveling over to it with wide blinking eyes. Somehow the field brought a strange feeling in him and he frowned pondering it.
He remembered someone loved picking flowers, but he couldn't remember who, but having to stop and watch carefully as this person picked flowers was a heavily familiar feeling in him. Sesshoumaru released his hand from Kagura's grip and he darted into the field wordlessly.
Kagura stopped and watched the small youkai dash through the field as though he did this everyday and she couldn't help the small giggle that escaped her lips as she watched him pounce through the flowers carelessly. This was a side of the great lord Sesshoumaru she would have loved to see in his usual form. However, Kagura shook her head knowing that that would never happen.
Sesshoumaru glanced around him with a wide smile on his face, trying to find the perfect flower for her. She had been kind enough to help him and now she went out of her way to take him back to his companions. He needed something to show her his gratitude. Smiling mischievously, he also wanted her to notice him. Snorting, he knew she had noticed him, but he wanted her to give him attention. He would show his affection and perhaps his gratitude.
Seeing a small flower sitting among the others, Sesshoumaru ran over to it and stared at the soft pink hue of the petals. No other flower around him was this color and he nodded, and pulled the whole thing out, root and all. Twisting around, Sesshoumaru hauled the pink flower over to the bewildered youkai woman and he grinned holding it up to her.
Kagura raised her brows surprised. She glanced at the pink flower, and almost laughed at the tight wad of dirt and roots at the end, immediately destroying the beauty of the object. However, she took it and smiled. “Thank you.”
Sesshoumaru grinned widely and nodded, and skipped down the path. Kagura rolled her eyes and peered at the flower in her hand, silently she broke the stem and threw the lump of dirt onto the ground and sniffed at the fragrance that the flower let off.
How she wished that Sesshoumaru in his adult form would give her a flower. Sighing, she knew that would never happen and something inside her caused her to wish that this little Sesshoumaru would never grow up.
The small Inuyoukai stopped several feet away and sniffed the air quickly, before whirling around to stare at Kagura. The wind youkai glanced around, wondering what had caught Sesshoumaru's attention and she shook her head with a frown marring her forehead.
“What is it?” She asked.
Sesshoumaru sniffed the air again. “Can't you smell them?”
Kagura huffed. “I don't have your sense of smell, Sesshoumaru. I am not an Inuyoukai.”
Sesshoumaru blinked at her. “I know that. I would be lost without my nose.”
Kagura shook her head at the small pup. “So are you going to tell me what you smell?”
“My companions. They are looking for me. They are that way.” He pointed to his right and his shoulder slumped. “It seems they are both worried and angry at me.”
“Well I would be too, if you had painted my face with war paint.” Kagura laughed.
Sesshoumaru nodded. “I was bored. Everyone was sleeping and I was still awake. I only wanted to find that book and read the rest of it. It was gone though.”
“Come on, let's get you back to your companions. Naraku will be missing me soon, and I really don't need him sending out his poison bees to find me.” Kagura sighed.
Sesshoumaru shuddered at the mere mention of bees and he whirled around in a complete circle frantically searching for the dreaded insects.
Kagura watched with a bemused expression. “Are you afraid of bees?” She asked trying to stifle her giggle.
Sesshoumaru's eyes widened and he stuttered. “N-n-no! I just don't like them.” He placed his hands on his hips for emphasis.
Kagura shook her head and walked past him with a smile. “Let's go, puppy.”
Sesshoumaru pursed his lips at the term and snorted. “I am not a puppy!” He growled.
“Yes you are. Right now you are a puppy, and later you will be a full grown Inuyoukai.” Kagura almost lost her control at his innocent words of protest.
Sesshoumaru wrinkled his nose and hurried after her. “Umm, you are going to stay for awhile right? Once we see my companions?”
Kagura looked down at the silent plea on his face and she giggled this time. “Sesshoumaru, what you did you will have to face, you can't hide from their wrath.”
Sesshoumaru pouted. “I know.” He lowered his head and walked beside her holding back the shudder of fear that filled his veins.
Kagura shook her head and reached down to grab his hand. “Come on, I can hear them calling for you now.”
Sesshoumaru nodded and squeezed her hand tightly for courage. It wasn't long after that Kirara and the others came racing through the trees and stopped on the path confused and taken aback. Kagome blinked and slowly walked forward.
“Sesshoumaru?” She whispered. Suddenly a look of instant relief washed over her face and she ran forward only to wrap him in a tight embrace. “We were so worried that something had happened to you.” Kagome whispered in his ear.
At first, Sesshoumaru had stiffened, but then he relaxed and wrapped his arms around the girl's neck. “I'm sorry.” He whispered.
Quite taken by surprise, Kagome pulled back slightly and stared at him. “Don't run away like that.”
Sesshoumaru dropped his arms and stared at the ground. “Umm…I only wanted you to look like youkai.” He whispered apologetically.
Kagome blinked at that and then laughed. “I must say that it completely took us by surprise this morning. But what's done is done. Just don't do it again, okay?”
Sesshoumaru blinked for a moment as her words registered in his brain and he nodded, looking up into her eyes. “You're not mad?” He asked confused.
Kagome sighed and smiled. “I was this morning, but worrying over you kind of threw that anger away.”
Sesshoumaru heaved a large shaky breath in relief. Soon everyone surrounded Sesshoumaru, and they looked him over quickly, making sure he had no serious injuries. They only saw a few scratches that appeared to have been cleaned and tended to, much to their surprise. Miroku glanced up at Kagura who stood off to the side uncomfortably. Walking over to her with his staff raised, he asked her the question that rose to his lips.
“Did you help him, Kagura?” He asked with a small bit of disbelief in his voice.
The wind youkai took a step back and shrugged looking slightly startled. “It was either that, or Naraku would have found him eventually.”
Everyone glanced up surprised and stared at her.
“Stay with your companions, Sesshoumaru. Until you are an adult again.” Without another word, Kagura flicked her wrist and shot into the air quickly.
Sesshoumaru watched her leave and sighed. Turning to Kagome, he placed his hands behind his back. “She was nice.” He whispered, causing Kagome to glance at him stunned.
“She didn't hurt you, or anything?” Sango asked, kneeling at his side.
Sesshoumaru shook his head, but his eyes fell to the flower that she must have dropped or thrown away. He swallowed. Did she not like his gift? Blinking back the feeling of rejection, his shoulders slumped.
“What's the matter, Sesshoumaru?” Kagome asked, her eyes looking around.
“Nothing.” He mumbled.
Rin watched Sesshoumaru carefully and her eyes fell on the pink flower that lay discarded on the ground. Then it hit her. She had seen Kagura holding the flower, but when Miroku had approached, she had dropped in. Biting her lip, she watched as Sesshoumaru climbed onto Ah' Uh's back and sat there looking sad and lonely.
Rin walked over to the flower and picked it up and showed it to Sango and Kagome. “I think Lord Sesshoumaru likes Kagura. She was holding this, but Miroku made her drop it.” The small girl explained.
The monk blinked. “How'd I make her drop it?” He protested.
Kagome gasped and stood up, glancing for a moment in Sesshoumaru's direction. “When you approached her and startled her. Do you think Sesshoumaru gave her the flower?”
Sango hid her smile and stood up also. “Does Sesshoumaru like Kagura when he is grown up, Rin?”
Rin shrugged her shoulders. “Kagura has come a few times, I remember she had praised him. He even saved her life.”
Kagome and Sango's mouth opened in a silent `Oh'. Sango glanced over at Sesshoumaru and smiled gently. She looked down at Rin and silently asked for the flower, which was placed in her hand. Sango walked over to the small sad youkai and touched his shoulder.
“Sesshoumaru?”
“Hmm?” He mumbled looking at the reins in front of his hands.
“I think Kagura lost this. Miroku must have surprised her making her drop it.” Sango whispered.
Sesshoumaru looked up with a small glimmer of hope in his eyes. “Do you really think so? You mean she didn't throw my gift away?” He lifted his hand and rubbed his eyes. “I only wanted to thank her for helping me.”
Sango smiled and nodded. “I don't think anyone would throw away such a pretty flower. I think Kagura might be missing it.”
Sesshoumaru sighed. “It will die soon anyway.”
“Maybe so, but you know what? There are so many pretty flowers out there, and other things you could give her when we next see her.” Sango reasoned. “Who knows, maybe Kagura will return later and look for the gift.”
Sesshoumaru took a deep breath and stared at the flower that was placed in his hand. He glanced around the area, trying to find a spot to leave it. “Maybe I can leave it here and she will come back for it.”
Sango smiled behind her hand and nodded. “I think you might be right.”
Before anyone could move from their current spots, the wind picked up once again and they all blinked and stared at the wind youkai.
Miroku pursed his lips in thought and Sango wondered if she had in fact returned for the flower.
Kagura glanced around quickly, a faint blush on her cheeks, and then she lifted her gaze to stare at Kagome. “I passed over something only moments ago, and I thought you should check it out.” She muttered to the miko. “I think it is important to you.”
Sango nudged Sesshoumaru and he glanced up shaking his head firmly. “You should give it back to her.”
“She didn't come back for it.” He mumbled sadly.
Kagome heard the words and sighed with a small smile. Turning to the wind youkai she pleaded with her eyes.
Kagura blushed again and rolled her eyes. Smiling, she turned her face to Sesshoumaru. “Oie, puppy. Might I have my flower back? Or are you taking back my gift?”
Kagome and Sango both hid their smiles at the gruffness in the wind youkai's voice and more so when Sesshoumaru's head snapped up surprise.
He frowned and protested. “I told you, I'm not a puppy! You left your flower on the ground, I should really just take it back.”
Kagura shrugged and made to turn away indifferently, silently, she had hoped that he would have been ecstatic on returning the pretty little pink thing that would be dead by the next morning, but she really didn't care. It was her second gift from Sesshoumaru and she wanted to cherish it. “Suit yourself.”
“Do you really want it back?” He whispered, jumping off the two-headed dragon's back. He walked up to her and watched as she lowered herself to his level.
Whispering softly so no one else could hear, Kagura smiled. “Of course I do, puppy.”
Sesshoumaru grunted and handed the flower back slowly, ignoring the soft sounds of approval from the members of his group. Kagura blushed brilliantly when Sango uttered an `aw' sound from her mouth and stood up quickly, stuffing the flower into her kimono.
Turning to them once again, she shook her head. “Naraku has been watching for those tears in the sky, and I think I found one before he has noticed it. But Kanna is rather useful to him in showing him things out of his viewing, so if I were you I'd hurry.”
Miroku gaped. “Where, Kagura?” He glanced around trying to sense it.
“To the left. I will say this, should Naraku show up and I am there, I will be forced to fight you. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm being watched right now, so take my hint and go!” Without another word, she flew into the sky, leaving everyone else standing there wondering if this was a trap.
Sesshoumaru quickly grabbed Kagome's hand. “She doesn't like that spider guy. She told me that he has her heart and she is forced to follow him. I trust her.”
Kagome grinned and nodded. Sesshoumaru was struck with puppy love and she found it really cute. “Let's go.” She called out and began running towards the spot Kagura had indicated.
Miroku ran up beside her and swiftly picked up Sesshoumaru, easily tossing him to Sango who flew overhead on Kirara. “Do you think we should trust her?”
“If Sesshoumaru trusts her, then I do.” Kagome panted beside the much faster monk. She had no idea how he managed to hold the quick pace, however the monk was strong and was able to keep up with running beside a grown up Inuyasha on many occasions.
“Do you think that what Sesshoumaru told us is true?” Sango asked down to them.
Sesshoumaru stiffened. “I don't lie.” He protested. A pair of golden eyes slipped around Sango's back and caught Sesshoumaru's eyes. “Inuyasha?” He blurted out. He had momentarily forgotten about his brother.
“I didn't mean that, Sesshoumaru. I mean I wonder if she is trying to get her heart back.”
Ah Uh quickly came to their side holding Rin and Jaken and Shippo. Rin piped up softly. “I remember that Kagura mentioned to us once that Naraku doesn't trust her.”
Jaken nodded. “She also tried to hand Lord Sesshoumaru two shards of that jewel in trade for his helping her free herself from Naraku.”
Sango gasped her eyes wide. “What did he do?”
Sesshoumaru frowned wondering what they were talking about.
Jaken snorted. “He refused of course. Lord Sesshoumaru would never stoop so low as to fall for anyone without status.”
Sango frowned angrily. “What is wrong with him maybe liking her a little bit?”
Jaken scoffed. “He would never allow himself to fall for her.”
Rin shook her head. She knew that the wind youkai liked Sesshoumaru, but she wondered what he thought of her.
Sesshoumaru kept hearing his name and he snorted. “Stop talking about me as though I am not here.”
Inuyasha snickered. “You like her?” He asked incredulously.
Sesshoumaru blushed a bright crimson and sniffed. Turning his head away, he instead found the pace Kagome and Miroku to keep rather impressive. “Wow they are fast.”
Sango laughed and nodded. She glanced up just over the tops of the trees and saw a faint purple glow and shouted to the two below. “I see something up ahead. It's the same color as the rift.”
Kagome nodded and Miroku suddenly seemed to pick up speed. Sighing, and trying to make her feet move faster, Kagome tried to keep up. “Wait for me.” She called as the monk vanished through the trees.
Kirara and Sango disappeared above the trees and now alone Kagome huffed. “How rude.” She mumbled, trying to hurry. She felt like she had been running forever when she finally cleared the trees into a small clearing. Sesshoumaru frowned looking around him now, staring at the flowers dancing in the faint breeze. It was the same field he had picked the flower from.
They were now on the ground and staring around them. Sango took a deep breath at the large wavering rift in the field and she shoved Miroku to attention. “The swords!” She cried.
Miroku nodded and quickly undid them from his back and turned to see Sango pushing Inuyasha and dragging Sesshoumaru with her. Miroku shoved Tessaiga into Inuyasha's hands, glaring at him challenging the small hanyou to refuse to take it.
Inuyasha's eyes widened and slowly slid to the blade he clutched awkwardly in his hands. Gulping audibly, he dragged the heavy thing towards the rift and Miroku nodded satisfied.
Sesshoumaru glanced at the offered blade the monk handed him and narrowed his eyes. “Do you want to stay a pup forever?” The monk growled. “Take it and fix this mess.”
Sesshoumaru snorted and took the blade. The tip dropped to the ground causing Sesshoumaru to pitch forward slightly before regaining his balance. He also dragged the heavy sword towards the rift.
Kagome and Sango now stood next to one another and crossed their fingers, praying that this would work.
 
Inuyasha hesitantly glanced at his brother and whispered. “I'm scared.”
Sesshoumaru nodded. “This thing looks eerie.”
“Sessho?” Inuyasha whispered, edging closer to the rift.
“What?”
“If we go back to what we were, what's going to happen?” Inuyasha asked, stepping a little bit closer.
Sesshoumaru shook his head, his eyes widening as they approached the rift. “I don't know.” He remembered hearing the others speaking about them always fighting and hating one another, and he really didn't want to believe them. They had also called him cold hearted. Silently, he wanted to stay the way he was.
He didn't feel lonely, or sad. Sesshoumaru actually found he liked being around them. They were fun. Inuyasha glanced at him hesitantly and looked sad and defeated. “Sess?”
“Hai?”
“Don't forget me?” Inuyasha whispered frightened.
“Baka, don't be foolish.” Sesshoumaru returned the whisper, and both swords pulsed in their hands. Suddenly, they flared to life, causing both pups to freeze and stare horrified at the whirling air around them. They were engulfed in a bright white light and they yowled in pain.
Kagome heard their cries and ran forward. “It's killing them!” She shouted.
A strong hand held her back and both women shielded their eyes from the sudden swirl of white light that filled the field.
Suddenly a loud snap filled the air and a large boom that sounded like an explosion and Kagome looked up terrified. “Oh Kami!”
The entire field around them was filled with dust and falling flowers. Swallowing the fearful lump in her throat, Kagome ran forwards. “Inuyasha! Sesshoumaru!”
There was no answer. Blinded by the thick dust in the air, Kagome panicked. “Answer me you Baka's!”
There was still no answer, and she felt the tears fall onto her cheeks. “Inuyasha! Sesshoumaru!” What if they were dead? What if this had been the wrong rift? A trap set up by Naraku? The horrifying images that ran through the girls mind took over all reason and Kagome sobbed. “Inuyasha!”
A low groan of pain filled her ears and she jumped up. “Inuyasha?” She called.
Another groan answered her. It was different. Running through the dust, that was beginning to thin out as it settled around her, she caught a small glimpse of white. Running forward, she sighed in relief. There lay Inuyasha, once again fully grown.
His first coherent thought was he couldn't move. The second was his head hurt. Groaning, he realized that his whole body ached from the tips of his toes, right to the tips of his ears. A desperate cry filled the air and he groaned again as the sound seemed to pierce through his head right to where the ache sat growing steadily in intensity. Sucking his breath in sharply, he tried to open his eyes, but they snapped shut as the light shot through his head into a spiral of pain.
Swallowing, he vaguely remembered what had caused the pain in the first place, but somehow it seemed wrong. He remembered fighting with Sesshoumaru. `Sesshoumaru?' His eyes snapped open shocked and fell shut once again as the light penetrated his head. “Ah.” He groaned.
Something wasn't right. Words filled his head as he tried to sort through the mangled mess that was supposed to be his brain. `You won't forget me?' `Baka, don't be foolish.' Yet somehow those words seemed wrong. `I hate you.' `He doesn't recognize us.' `I don't even know you. But if you're my brother I should right? I'm really scared, what's your name? How'd we get here?' `You are so mean. Why do you hate me if we're brother's?' A memory of a flying object filled his head and someone shouting at him to stop. He had been barreled over by his brother. `Wait, that isn't right.' Inuyasha protested to his rattled brain. `That one's a hanyou!' `Look at his ears!' `Let's go, Inuyasha.' `Father would have protected both of us, just like Sango did. We're okay right?' Furrowing his brow, Inuyasha remembered rocks being thrown at him. Sesshoumaru had been there, but why? Why had his brother protected him? `Inuyasha, stop fighting with that tree, and come on already.' That wasn't his brother's voice; it had been Kagome's. Why the hell had he been fighting with a tree?
Groggily, he sat up and stared at the dust surrounding him and he grunted, holding his head. Words and feelings filled him, and he also remembered his companions. But why had his brother been there?
“Inuyasha?” A sobbing voice called out to him. Wincing and pinning his ears to his head, he recognized that voice.
Snapping open his eyes, he jumped to his feet and wavered. “Gah!” He muttered. “Kagome?” He called out. His vision swam and his world tilted dangerously to one side. Trying to correct the tilting, he leaned the other way and found that really didn't help his situation any.
Strong arms wrapped around his neck and before he could steady his tilting world, and he tumbled to the ground, pulling the girl down with him.
A soft breath of air drafted across his cheek as he and Kagome slammed to the earth and her surprise was cut off as he landed on top of her.
She giggled and tightened her arms around his neck. “I'm happy to see you too.”
Inuyasha swallowed and blinked into her eyes. Somehow comprehension did not make itself known to him. He knew her, but how had he ended up like this? Blushing bright, Inuyasha gasped and half crawled and half rolled off her. Swallowing the nervousness, Inuyasha suppressed the shudder that threatened to flood through him. He had found that position to be far too comfortable to be innocent and he blinked stupidly at her.
“What do you mean, happy to see me? Did I go somewhere?” Inuyasha asked curiously.
Kagome sat up and gasped. “You don't remember?”
“Huh?” Inuyasha tilted his head confused. “I keep hearing strange things in my head. Parts of conversation, but everything is as hazy as my eye sight, right now.”
Kagome nodded and sighed. If Inuyasha didn't remember, then Sesshoumaru wouldn't remember, and their peaceful encounters she had dreamt of would never happen.
 
Sesshoumaru found himself to be lying on the ground and he sniffed the air. Dust filled his nostrils and he sneezed. He shifted to sit up and his whole body broke into a shudder and pain. What the hell happened? Slowly, he blinked open his eyes, and found a gray haze of dust surrounding him and he furrowed his brows slightly in confusion. Wincing, he raised his hand to his head and moaned softly. Voices entered his ears, but they were faint.
Slowly, he sat up and rubbed his temple, and then he stopped. His eyes widened as he turned his pounding head. His golden eyes widened even more as he stared at the hand he had been rubbing his temples with. Startled and confused, he lifted both his arms and hands to his vision and he released a soft gasp.
How the hell did he find himself a new arm? `Wait.' He frowned. It wasn't just any arm it was his own arm. Shaking his head, he lifted his gaze and frantically shifted through his jumbled mind. Snorting, his mind wasn't jumbled, he protested, it was only missing bits and pieces of the battle he had had with his brother. `Half brother.' He corrected. A shiver ran up his arms and he gulped. Why did that sound wrong?
Biting back a snarl, Sesshoumaru bent his knees slightly, and lowered his head. That seemed to ease the pounding slightly. Closing his eyes, he found that to be much more comfortable. Images and words shifted through his memory and he shuddered as they bombarded his sub consciousness.
`What are you looking for?' `The moon.' `Then what makes you think I would kill you should you be human? If I kill you Inuyasha it will be when you are in your hanyou self?' Had he said that? What would have possessed him to say something so ridiculous? `I'll race you, Sesshoumaru.' Race? Opening his eyes, Sesshoumaru released a soft breath of shock. He remembered pushing Inuyasha into water, he also remembered racing after the stupid mutt and protecting him. He sucked in his breath sharply. He remembered his brother's consistent pounces, knocking him over. Why had he not killed the half-breed?
Shaking his head, more thoughts entered his ruffled memory. `I made holes. I couldn't figure out how to take the stopper out.' `If you hate bee's so much, why do you let Rin pick flowers?' His head snapped up immediately. “Rin.” He breathed. Standing up quickly, Sesshoumaru sucked in his breath at how unsteady he was on his feet. The dust started to settle around him and he sneezed again, as it flew up into his nose tickling it.
Snorting, Sesshoumaru took an unsteady step and paused. Who had moved the ground? It seemed to shift and lower as though someone had taken the earth from beneath his feet. He landed face first with a heavy grunt onto the ground and growled softly. This would not do well. Somehow, he needed to find his feet and regain his balance. But what had caused him to loose his equilibrium in the first place?
Someone tall and dark haired came into his vision as he blinked and he shrank back and he froze confused. Why the hell was he backing away from a human? One of his brother's companions no less?
“I found him.” Sango called out into the settling dust. “Sesshoumaru?” She whispered kneeling down beside him.
Narrowing his eyes, he released a soft snarl. `Don't you dare put me down!' Bees had surrounded them, and he shuddered as the memory slammed into his brain. Had he really said that to this human woman? Why the hell had she had him in the first place? His brows twitched slightly. Why had he protested? Why had she been holding him?
Sesshoumaru pushed himself onto all fours and glared at her.
“I think he's back to normal.” Sango said unsteadily under his penetrating glare. “He's glaring at me.”
Sesshoumaru lifted his head to peer at her confused. `Back to normal?' “What are you talking about human?”
Kagome ran over to them then, and knelt down smiling. Her eyes landed around his neck and he frowned, also looking down. His mouth fell open. Around his neck were those dratted subjugation beads that were normally around his brother's neck.
“Sesshoumaru? Are you alright?”
Sesshoumaru growled low, barring his fangs at the miko.
“How did these things get on me?” He snarled, almost loosing control of his anger.
Kagome laughed nervously. “Well you see, you had run off, and it was the only way to protect you from running away all the time.”
Sesshoumaru lowered his growl. Pushing himself into a sitting position, he narrowed his eyes. “Explain!”
Kagome shrugged. “I can't. Something happened…” She was cut off when Inuyasha came crawling over to them. All eyes turned to stare at him.
“Keh! Someone keeps moving the damn earth!” He snarled. “I can't stand up so I'm crawling, got a problem with that?”
Sesshoumaru stared at his brother long and hard for a moment. Warily, Sesshoumaru inched backwards.
Inuyasha stopped and stared right back at his brother and both their mouths dropped open in surprise.
 
Both brother's recalled their antics, and their fights, their swords, and the feelings as if it had happened just moments ago. The memories flooded over them in waves, which left them feeling breathless and horrified.
A faint blush crept into Inuyasha's cheeks and then they flared to a brilliant red, and he quickly back peddled on his hands and knees, blinking stupefied. Somehow recalling all those events in adult form was just not a good thing for his mind. Blinking rapidly, trying to clear the rather startling memories, Inuyasha fell over backwards onto his back and groaned.
Just as the blush made itself known on Inuyasha's face, a matching one appeared on Sesshoumaru's, slowly growing in intensity that eventually his stripes vanished into the color. Sucking in his breath sharply, Sesshoumaru recalled his own memories, some of which were definitely not ones he was proud of.
There had been those bullies in the village; right after those human women had tackled him. They had dressed him in…his mind blanched at the word and he felt his brows rise high on his forehead. He had protected his brother; he had sheltered him from those boys.
Glancing at Kagome, Sesshoumaru felt suddenly sick. Had he really shown all those emotions in front of his brother's friends? He had cried, shown pain, shown his younger self, and he flinched.
Inuyasha watched the display on his brother's face, forgetting all about his own embarrassment for a moment. In awe, he slowly crawled forward and peered at his brother's face, which slowly became its natural color. Swallowing, Inuyasha sat back and shook his head.
Sesshoumaru remembered getting tangled in the thread, he remembered biting the strange bottles, and he also remembered giving her a flower. That last thought brought another blush to his cheeks and he snarled softly. He had even called her pretty. Choking on his own thoughts, physically, mentally and verbally, his snarl sounded more like a strangled warbled squawk.
Inuyasha glanced over at the two women sitting silently in curiosity next to them and blushed again. How many times had he crawled into Kagome's lap stroking her hair? How many times had he turned to her for comfort? Swallowing the uncomfortable lump that had formed in his throat, Inuyasha finally released a groan.
Sesshoumaru lifted his gaze and his eyes locked onto Inuyasha's in a silent warning not to say a word. Understanding filled those familiar gold eyes, and Sesshoumaru pushed himself roughly to his feet. Fighting against the tipsy feeling as he did so.
“We will speak of this later, Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru snapped. He took a step and he cursed the ground as it fell from beneath his feet once again, causing him to pinwheel his arms to regain his balance. He pitched forward and fell to the ground with a loud thump.
Inuyasha opened his mouth to agree with his brother, but the words froze on his lips, as he watched Sesshoumaru whirl his arms around him frantically trying to keep his balance. Somehow, for the first time in his life, Inuyasha was able to keep from laughing at the sight of his brother pitching forward and falling face first into the ground, as though he had become a chunk of lead.
Inuyasha's eyes widened and he quickly bit his lip with his fang, drawing blood instantly, trying desperately to keep quiet. Gawking at his brother's plight, Inuyasha stood to help his brother to his feet, but somehow neither brother was meant to actually walk at that particular moment, and Inuyasha found himself reaching out for Kagome as his own body refused to function with the simple task of walking.
Kagome squeaked, and tried to crawl backwards as Inuyasha's hands thrust out for her, and he toppled over, knocking them both back.
“Dammit, why can't I walk?” Inuyasha yelled.
Kagome's muffled response was the only answer he heard, and Inuyasha turned his head to stare at his brother. Sesshoumaru smirked and rolled over onto his back.
“What the hell are you laughing at?” Inuyasha roared. “I didn't laugh at you when you fell face first into the dirt, pal!”
Sesshoumaru growled low in warning. The feeling of drawing his brother into a fight at that particular moment just didn't have the same rage that it usually held. Somehow the simple banter was enough to let the other know just exactly what they were thinking.
Inuyasha snorted at the growl and then chuckled. The chuckle turned into an all out roar of laughter, and Inuyasha rolled off Kagome, holding his gut. Tears formed in his eyes, and Sango, Kagome and Sesshoumaru all peered at the hanyou as if he had lost his mind.
Miroku and the others finally found them through the lingering dust and they stared at the two brothers' on the ground, actually lying there not trying to kill one another.
Rin grinned widely and threw herself at Sesshoumaru who grunted from the impact, and he glanced at her shocked.
Inuyasha finally sat up and breathed deeply. “I'm loosing my mind.” He grumbled. “Are you still here?”
Sesshoumaru glanced over at his brother and snorted. “If I had any say in the matter, little brother, I would have been gone before your human friends arrived.”
“Keh! You just don't want to admit that you showed emotion like a weak mortal.” Inuyasha scoffed.
“I had my own reasons for my actions, Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru smirked, lifting his arm for the others to see. Mouths dropped open and a few gasps reached his ears. Inuyasha's eyes widened and he scowled.
“How the hell did you manage that, bastard?”
Sesshoumaru remained silent and smirked wider, his eyes narrowing slightly in amusement. He still loved goading his brother.
Kagome and Sango rolled their eyes and shook their heads. Perhaps the brother's were still the same as before, but right now they were still bickering back and forth like those two little pups they had been less then an hour ago. The miko's eyes turned to Inuyasha and she sighed. Turning to Sesshoumaru, she reached out for him and the youkai recoiled instantly, growling loudly.
Kagome snatched her hands back as his long fangs were barred at her, and Inuyasha quickly shuffled in front of her, still sitting on the ground.
“We may not be able to stand up, Sesshoumaru, but sitting down I am sure I can still kick your ass.”
Sesshoumaru glanced down at his casual sitting position and rolled his eyes at the mental image of him and Inuyasha fighting with tooth and nail cross-legged on the ground. Shaking his head from that thought, his eye turned to Kagome's in question.
Kagome smiled. “I was only trying to take those beads back, Lord Sesshoumaru! But if you like them so much, you can keep them. I'm sure I can have another set made for Inuyasha.”
Sesshoumaru glanced down at the beads and flinched visibly. Oh, he remembered them. He remembered the word she used to subdue him and he wrinkled his nose. “You may have them back, I do not need them as much as Inuyasha does. They seem to keep him out of trouble, and danger.”
Inuyasha's eyes widened, and he shook his head. “N-n-no, th-that's fine, ke-ep them. They are all yours.”
Kagome reached out once again for the beads, and Sesshoumaru allowed her to slip them from around his neck. She grinned widely as Inuyasha crawled as fast as he could, but Kagome was much faster on her feet. Pinning him down, she quickly slipped them over his neck and stood up dusting her hands. “There.” She nodded satisfied. She glanced around and sighed again. “Now what are we going to do?”
Sango glanced up and raised her eyebrows.
“I mean, neither of them can walk, we have both witnessed that first hand, and I'm sure that other youkai seeing them crawling around on all fours to be an easy meal.” She held up her hands in defense as Sesshoumaru snarled at those words. “I mean, come on, you can't really be seen crawling around Sesshoumaru. Other youkai might find it degrading.” She played on his pride and ego. “I think we should build camp and tomorrow see if you two can move around on your feet.”
Inuyasha lifted himself off the ground and crawled back angrily. “No way in hell am I sleeping with him in the same camp.”
“Sit boy.” Kagome sighed.
Inuyasha slammed to the earth with a loud grunt, and grumbled and cursed. “What the hell was that for?” He asked, lifting his head as high as it would go from the beads spell.
Sango and Kagome both groaned. They were in for a very long night.