InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Young at Heart ❯ Fury of the Storm ( Chapter 23 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Twenty-Three: Recovering Center Of Gravity
 
Sesshoumaru had growled in annoyance when Sango and Kagome convinced Kirara to aid him to a small clearing they had picked as their campsite. He had snorted in amusement when Inuyasha had outright refused any assistance what so ever, telling them he could get there on his own. The youkai had burst into laughter when night had fallen, his back against a tree, watching the others move about happy to have their companion back to normal. It had started out as a simple sniff, and then changed into a hearty laugh when Inuyasha crawled into the camp, looking the worst for wear, snarling at everyone, daring them to make any comment.
The icy glare turned to him instead. Smirking, and trying to suppress his chuckles, Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes in amusement. It actually felt good to laugh, and he snorted at the thought as he turned his gaze away, and instead watched Rin and Jaken argue just like they had before.
Inuyasha crawled, well more like pulled himself towards his brother and flopped beside him, making Sesshoumaru twitch in annoyance. “Are you really so annoying that you must irritate me, instead of your companions?”
“Keh! Not much you can do about it.” Inuyasha snapped, hauling himself up into a sitting position, and crossing his legs. “We can't very well disgrace ourselves by fighting like this, can we?”
Sesshoumaru refrained from comment, and called out softly to his own companions. “Enough.” Even though it was spoken softly, Jaken and Rin immediately obeyed and nodded.
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and then turned to Sesshoumaru. “Alright, so are we going to talk about what went on, or are we gonna pretend that it was all our imagination?”
Sesshoumaru turned his head silently, and regarded Inuyasha, as if it were the first time in years. “Talk? I thought talk was beneath you.”
Inuyasha wrinkled his nose.
“Seeing you crawl on the ground is definitely a fitting place for one such as you.” Sesshoumaru taunted.
“Are you trying to pick a fight with me?” Inuyasha snapped, crossing his arms over his chest. “You know, I wonder how Kagura feels about her flower?”
Sesshoumaru knew his eyes had widened and then they slipped into narrow slits. He snarled loudly.
“Oh, touchy subject?” Inuyasha asked, cocking his head to the side.
Another snarl filled his ears, and then grew in strength.
“Feh!” Inuyasha sniffed turning his head away. His ears twitched when a very unfamiliar sound filled them. It was soft and light and he raised a brow curiously. He turned back to face his brother, who was chuckling at himself, not at Inuyasha, but at himself and he gawked. “Huh?”
“I must say, the look on her face was unforgettable.” Sesshoumaru chuckled.
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “I know, I was there, remember? What the hell is wrong with us anyway?”
Sesshoumaru sighed and leaned his head against the trunk of the tree. “We have been changed back to our normal selves, I am certain it will take a bit of time to regain our bearings.”
Inuyasha scoffed and glanced over at the fire his friends had built. “Did you mean everything you said?”
Sesshoumaru furrowed his brow, but refrained from comment. The last thing he needed right now was to have this talk with his brother when he still had yet to figure out exactly what they had said, and in truth if he actually meant those words. His actions as a pup had been strange, unnerving actually. He wanted time to think, not spout out useless information and ideals when he had yet to figure them out himself.
Sesshoumaru knew he was a youkai of few words, and when he did talk, his words were carefully thought out, and to the point. Useless rambling got him nowhere, actually got no one anywhere, so he wasn't about to just start talking. Turning his eyes to his brother, he realized that he was under strict observation and he almost rolled his eyes skyward in annoyance.
“Leave Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru snorted.
“Why?” The hanyou snorted. “I am quite comfortable here, thanks.”
Sesshoumaru felt his frown deepen and he let loose a soft growl in warning. “I do not wish to have your presence interfere with my thoughts, be gone.”
Inuyasha sighed, typical that his brother would resort back to his old self. “You know, I had a small hope that things might have changed between us. You are nothing more then a cold hearted bastard.” He rose to his feet and tried to storm away, only to meet the ground in a full on face plant. “Dammit!” He raged, and pulled himself along the ground angrily.
Sesshoumaru watched his brother crawl towards the fire and he sighed. Was he really that cold hearted? Shaking his head, he snorted. He had only asked for Inuyasha to leave him alone, and his brother had taken it personally. The youkai wanted time to sort out his own thoughts, before he indulged in a conversation with the hanyou. It was hard enough to think with all the others talking a short distance away.
Glancing upward, he spotted the moon and closed his eyes as the calming light covered his face. His actions had startled him, but more so his words. He was confused, uncertain and filled with dread. Not only over the fact that he had protected his half-brother, but he had said things he never thought possible before. That wasn't the horrifying part either. Sesshoumaru had flirted with the wind witch, and that thought caused him to shudder. What the hell had possessed him to give her a flower? What had he been thinking when he wished he had been older so he could court her.
Growling to himself, Sesshoumaru thought back to Inuyasha, dislodging the wind youkai's image from his mind. There was plenty of time later to sort through those thoughts, however the concern for the moment was Inuyasha and his companions. He remembered the warm and comforting embrace of the youkai slayer. Sango had been kind and gentle right from the start, like a mother was to her own pup, and he shivered. His own mother had died long before he was of an age to understand the importance of having a mother in his life, so he had never missed it, until she had showered him with motherly care.
Sesshoumaru opened his eyes and stared at the moon; completely oblivious to the stares his brother's companions were giving him. He wasn't even aware of the growls and whines he was releasing.
He had felt something deep inside him when he was with his brother's companions, something akin to what he felt whenever Rin showered him with gifts, or praises. It had been a good feeling, and now he was left with uncertainty. His father's words came to him then. `Do you have someone to protect?' Chichiue. Sesshoumaru frowned again. Was it Rin his father had been referring to? Or had it been his brother? Was it both? Snarling in confusion, Sesshoumaru allowed his thoughts to continue.
Why did he protect Rin? Why did he refrain from killing his brother, time after time? What was it that possessed him to even care now? Shaking his head, he lowered his gaze from the moon and stared at his hands. He had both now, once again, and that brought a smile to his face. Whatever tests the swords had put both him and Inuyasha through; it was definitely worth it to have both his limbs.
Sighing, Sesshoumaru lifted his left hand and peered at it as if he had never seen it before. Duel stripes wrapped around his wrist, leading to his palm and he smiled. Dropping his hand to his lap, he looked at his all too familiar clothes. His pants were once again white, as was his haori and kimono. His obi was once again blue and gold and his armor was placed beside him. When he had resorted back to his adult form that had been the only thing that was not on his person. His right shoulder once again had the honorable fur he had been given by his father as a youth. Its comforting presence was the only thing that eased the rage at the moment.
It wasn't rage per say, he admitted to himself hesitantly. It was more embarrassment then anger. The things he said and did were on the forefront of his mind and he sighed again. Except it wasn't quite a sigh, but more like a whine of helplessness. He had no idea what to do. Sesshoumaru felt lost, out of control and he hated that feeling more then he hated feeling confused. How rare that was to him, he definitely felt things he had not allowed himself to feel for many, many years.
The problem he was now faced with was how he was going to treat his younger half-brother and his companions. They had helped him and his own companions, so he knew he owed them a debt, but he wasn't sure how to go about it. Inuyasha as a pup had protected him, and thus he felt a certain amount of pride towards the hanyou. Sesshoumaru glanced over at his brother, who was currently lounging on his back with his arms propping his head up. What was it like to be so carefree and relaxed? In all aspects of the word, his brother had stood by him, protected him and had opened up certain feelings Sesshoumaru had lost long before his father had died.
His brother had shown him the truth of their actions. Inuyasha had opened his eyes and heart and now he wasn't sure he could close it off from the world as he once had. Did he really want to close it off? Now, Sesshoumaru wasn't so sure. He looked away from Inuyasha, and looked at Rin. He had not felt so at ease with anyone, not since that day he had lost his good friend.
Clenching his eyes shut, and fisting his hands, he growled as those memories surfaced and he forcefully shoved them back. Shaking his head, he sighed. What was he going to do now? He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't hear Kagome approach him, or kneel beside him. Sesshoumaru did feel a gentle hand on his shoulder and he jumped surprised.
Sesshoumaru glanced over at Kagome and waited.
“Sesshoumaru? Are you okay?” Kagome whispered.
Biting his tongue at the rebuttal he was ready to give her, he shook his head. All he saw in her eyes was true concern and kindness. Even after all the times he had tried to take her life, she still approached him with gentle kind eyes that she would give to any friend and he wondered exactly how large her heart actually was.
“Do you remember everything?” She whispered.
This time he nodded and clenched his eyes shut. “I am lost.” He whispered to her.
“Lost or confused?” She asked him, settling herself on her knees.
“Both, I am uncertain of these emotions.”
Kagome nodded. “Blast those emotions, huh?” She chuckled and he started at the soft sound.
“Hnn.” He grumbled and frowned. Sesshoumaru looked at the human girl and nodded. “I am…not sure how to deal with these.”
Kagome sighed and rested herself more comfortably. “Why deal with them? Why not just accept them? There are things that we can't control, but that doesn't mean we have to allow them to take us over completely, right? I mean, I can't help it if I want to help others out all the time, even if that other is someone who has tried to kill me in the past. Instead of me fighting it, I do what I have to do.” Kagome shrugged.
Sesshoumaru blinked at her for a moment before responding. “So accepting this makes you stronger?”
Kagome nodded. “I guess, yeah. Well think about it, I know it makes me stronger inside, because I want to help others, I want to feel good inside when I do. Sure they may not like it, but I still do it, because I know it's right. If I didn't, I would be lying to myself.”
Sesshoumaru nodded and felt a familiar twitch at his lips. Was he smiling? He growled causing Kagome to jump at the sound. He gave her a brief look and shook his head. “Is that why you helped me out?”
Kagome nodded. “Well not fully, I may not trust you, but I am starting to understand you and your kind a little more. I've seen enough with Inuyasha trying to pretend he doesn't care, but you know, I think he only does that, so you don't think any lower of him then you already do.”
Sesshoumaru glanced over at his brother and sighed. “Do I think him lower then myself?” He asked himself out loud. “I perhaps think he is stronger then me in certain ways, where I am stronger then him in others. His devotion to protect is remarkable.”
Kagome allowed a smile to cross her lips. “Is it so bad to accept him as a brother? I think deep down you both want that kind of relationship, but you are afraid others would think you weak and pathetic. Who cares what others think, as long as it makes you happy, right?”
Sesshoumaru glanced at the human for a long moment before his thoughts collected. “You are wise beyond your years. For a human, you are an amazing woman.”
“Am I weak?” Kagome asked with a smile.
“Perhaps weak in body, but in spirit you are stronger then all of us. I have allowed my hatred to overtake all my reasons, that I had forgotten the real reason for my hate.” Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. “Perhaps I never really hated at all, but was jealous of my brother's carefree nature.”
“Maybe because you were thrown into a life that you were not ready to take on by yourself?” Kagome supplied. “Sesshoumaru, don't think of yourself weak. I wish sometimes I could face someone without fear, without showing emotions on my face, trust me, if I could do that, I would feel undefeatable. But everyone gets scared. I know I do.”
Sesshoumaru waited while she collected her thoughts.
“I mean, in school at the beginning of the year before I met everyone, this girl confronted me, and I was so scared. I know that the first thing I had wanted to do was run away, and never go back. She beat me up and still; even now I can't blame her for it. She was jealous of something, maybe she thought I was a threat and that was why she confronted me in the first place.” Kagome shuddered, remembering that first day.
“You forgive, and you accept. This is what makes you strong, and perhaps this is what makes me weak. I have never forgiven Inuyasha for our father's death, and I have never accepted his half blood. Perhaps…” He trailed off and looked at his brother for a long moment. He didn't even realize that Kagome had gotten up and walked back over to the fire with a large satisfied smile on her face.
Sesshoumaru stood up and tested his legs, before taking a small step towards them. Even though his legs were weak and shaky, he managed to gingerly walk over to the group, and he saw Inuyasha sit up with his mouth open in shock.
Sesshoumaru smiled slightly and stared at his hanyou brother, but shook his head when Inuyasha made to say something. “Come, walk with me, Inuyasha.”
Inuyasha waved at his legs with a scowl. “Did you happen to forget I can't walk?”
Sesshoumaru chuckled and reached down, pulling Inuyasha up to his feet. Inuyasha made to comment, but Sesshoumaru whispered in his ear. “Shush, otouto.”
Inuyasha's eyes widened and he gaped stupidly. He felt himself dragged along with his brother, supported as his weakened legs wobbled with the effort of staying upright.
“Gah!” Inuyasha mumbled, as he took another wobbly step and his knee buckled. He jerked, and his brother shifted his weight supporting him fully.
Sesshoumaru sighed. Perhaps this is what everything meant. The swords made both brothers experience life together as pups, forced them to interact with one another in their weakened state, as thought they were being tested. Now that they were grown, the swords still held a power over them.
Sesshoumaru knew that his own footing was still weak and not quite able to support him fully, but with the realization of wanting to work with Inuyasha and speak with him, he found his faltering steps growing stronger. Once they were sheltered from the human's eyes, Sesshoumaru placed Inuyasha on the ground and sat down next to him.
“Perhaps we were wrong?” Sesshoumaru murmured, which caused Inuyasha to raise his brows so high they vanished under his thick bangs.
“Huh?”
“Perhaps our hatred was not directed to one another, but towards our inadequacy to deal with how we felt towards each other.”
“What the hell are you talking about?” Inuyasha grumbled, trying to sort through his brother's words.
“I hated you for so long, without really knowing why I hated you. I despised you because I felt that that was how I needed to protect myself. I never accepted you, because I was afraid.” Sesshoumaru sighed.
Inuyasha blinked and stared. “What are you talking about?” He whispered.
Sesshoumaru looked at his younger half-brother for a long moment, glancing over his features and his expressions, before explaining. “I was jealous of you, because you look so much like father, you reminded me of him, every time we crossed paths. I hated you, because he had run to your side to protect you, even though I had wanted him to stay with me and protect me. I despised you, because you were the last thing on father's mind when he died; not me. I loathed you, because he trusted you with his sword. He died for you, he loved you, and I felt abandoned, betrayed.”
Inuyasha gulped but remained silent. Never in his dreams had he imagined this moment, to find out why his older brother hated him so. He swallowed and nodded.
“I detested you, because you were the product of love, and you were stronger then me.”
“Did father not love you? What about your mother?” Inuyasha asked, guilt filling him at his brother's words.
Sesshoumaru chuckled. “I am sure father loved me, at one time. My heart had grown black long before he died. He was disappointed in me he didn't trust me. Perhaps I was jealous of that. He had never met you, yet he trusted you. I never knew my mother. You had that, I was perhaps jealous of that also, and I relished in the feeling of triumph when your mother died. I wanted you to feel the hurt I had felt, the pain I had experienced in my life.”
“Then why did you take me in?” Inuyasha inquired with a frown. “I mean, if you hated me that much, you could have left me to my own fate.”
Sesshoumaru frowned and nodded. “True, but I think perhaps I felt a bit guilty. I had thought to leave you, trust me; it was a long fight with my conscious over taking you in. In a way I thought taking you in would make me forget how little father trusted me, or perhaps have father be proud of me.”
Inuyasha sighed. “I wasn't told much of what happened that night. You were there? Right?”
Sesshoumaru nodded. “I was there, several times. Father had asked me to watch over Izayoi, while he went to hunt down Ryuukotsusei. I had informed him it was useless, but he didn't listen. So I had stayed and watched over your mother, while she was pupped. It was many months later when father returned, and I refused to remain in the humans company. The betrayal and abhorrence they showed one another caused me to detest them even more. I went to father's side, and knew his life was at risk, but after I had given him news of the happenings in the village, as he requested, he refused to rest and heal.”
Inuyasha nodded, remaining silent as his brother recalled his own painful past, so that he could understand.
“I watched father go, I had asked him for the swords, but he refused, and I felt…” Sesshoumaru shook his head. “Do you know what father's last words to me were?”
Inuyasha knew his eyes had widened, and he shook his head.
“He said, `Sesshoumaru, do you have someone to protect?' Of course I thought it was a ridiculous question and I had told him no. At that time, I believed that I didn't need to protect anyone but myself. I knew the instant he died. I had died right along with him, because I wasn't ready to be on my own, to rule on my own. I hated him for it, and I hated you for his death.”
Inuyasha nodded. “I hated you for a long time. You always made me feel useless, inadequate, and inept. Like I had no place anywhere. I was lonely for so long after my mother died. It hurt every time you called me hanyou, just as it did when the humans called me that. It still does, but I have learned to deal with it.”
“You should not have to deal with it. Somehow, when those human boys confronted us, you showed me a side of you that I even now admire. Strength and determination. You protected me, and yourself, and I had never thought that you were capable of such devotion. I was wrong, to take my anger out on you. You can not help the fact that you were born, nor can you help the fact that father fell in love with your mother. You were created out of love, and hope.” Sesshoumaru smiled, shifting his legs to a more comfortable position.
“Hope?” Inuyasha snorted.
Sesshoumaru nodded. “Hope that one day everyone would be looked at as equals; hope that we would all be accepted, regardless of race, class or creed. Hope that perhaps love would enable us to overlook slight differences and accept others for who they are.”
Inuyasha cringed. “Who would want to love something tainted? I'm a hanyou, neither youkai or human, who would want to love me?”
Sesshoumaru frowned and heard the distinct doubt and hurt in his brother's voice. “There is one who loves you, unconditionally. One who accepts you, regardless of what you are.”
“Keh! Ridiculous.” Inuyasha scoffed and growled.
“Now you sound like me. Why is it ridiculous? I see it in her eyes, every time she mentions your name. I hear it in her voice when she talks to you. Are you so doubtful that anyone can show you love?”
“What would you know about it?” Inuyasha scowled.
Sesshoumaru sighed and shook his head. It was true, what did he know of love? He knew his little ward, Rin, loved him unconditionally, and followed him with perfect trust. Did he love her? He must, if he allowed her to travel with him. There was something there, whenever she was in danger, and he did his best to keep her out of it. Smiling he nodded. “I think I do know a little of the emotion. I protect Rin, even though she is human. Perhaps, I think of her as I would my own pup.”
Inuyasha stared at his brother for a long moment, before responding. “I knew she meant more to you then just a servant.”
Sesshoumaru shook his head. “She was never a servant, she was merely someone who traveled with me, but now I understand more as to why I allow her to be in my company. She has seen far more then a girl her age ever should experience. Believe me, it wasn't out of care that I took her in, she owed me a debt, but soon I forgot about that, and felt a desire to protect her.”
Inuyasha sighed. “So what happens now?”
“I am hoping you can forgive my transgressions, and allow me to make amends. I no longer have a desire to take your life; I don't think I ever did, really. I wanted you to feel pain, and remain below me, but perhaps we can work together and finally grow into what father wanted us to be.”
Inuyasha swallowed. It was so much to take in, so much to process. Was he ready to forgive his brother for every thing he had caused? Could he really look past those things and embrace the offer Sesshoumaru was holding out freely? “I think, perhaps, we need to take it one step at a time. I still have a problem with trust, and I am afraid to make a mistake.” He whispered.
Sesshoumaru nodded. “I understand.”
Inuyasha smiled gratefully and sighed. Then he chuckled. “What are you going to do about Kagura?”
Sesshoumaru frowned and growled. “I am uncertain.”
Inuyasha grinned. “Oh yeah, who do you think cares about me? You said that she loves me, but who are you talking about?”
Sesshoumaru blinked and looked at his brother hard. “You really can not be that dense. Surely you know who I was referring to.”
Inuyasha frowned and thought back to his companions. He knew Sango loved Miroku, and Kagome was his best friend. Whom else did they cross paths with?”
Sesshoumaru snorted and shook his head. “You will figure it out eventually, otouto. Come, I think it is time we return.” He stood up and lowered his hand to his brother, offering him the first step in apology.
Reluctantly, Inuyasha took the offered hand and stood on his own two feet and grinned. He was standing. Giving his brother a toothy grin, he skipped around, testing his balance and yelped with joy. Giving his brother a look of thanks, he darted out of the clearing and then stopped. “Hey, are you going to travel with us now? Or go on your own?”
Sesshoumaru walked up to his brother who waited patiently and he shook his head. “I don't know yet. There are many things you and I have to work out, before we can fully trust and accept this new resolution, correct? Together, we may be able to defeat Naraku, so perhaps a truce is in order to do just that. We will work through the rest, as we go.”
Inuyasha nodded and smiled a true smile to his brother. “Sounds acceptable to me. I still don't trust you fully yet, but I think maybe I understand you a little more.” He bolted off towards his companions, and entered the small area and jumped to land beside the fire. “Ha! I can walk again.” He declared triumphantly. For emphasis, he got to his feet and bounded around the fire happily.
Kagome laughed and shook her head and turned to glance at Sesshoumaru who exited the trees at a more leisurely pace. Before she could say anything, Rin bounded to her feet and ran towards him.
“Lord Sesshoumaru!” She grinned, and held out her hand to show him something. Her back was to the group but they noticed his flinch and heard his growl as he looked at her hand. His eyes lifted to meet Kagome's and he smirked a slow and mischievous grin that caused her to shiver. What did Rin have that caused him to look at the group like that?
Inuyasha noticed the grin and he felt his own shiver course through his body and he growled. Whatever it was, a smile on his brother's face always meant something was up. Narrowing his eyes, he caught the familiar golden ones of his brother and waited. However, Sesshoumaru only lifted a single brow and then he turned away calmly and gracefully.
Inuyasha frowned and shared a look with Kagome, and it was then he saw something he had never really noticed before in her gaze. It was quickly masked and her cheeks took on a slight blush, and he cocked his head to the side. Had he just imagined that look? He must have, because now she was speaking with Sango, and he tilted his head more, and then cocked it to the other side, thinking far too rapidly for his brain to keep up with.
He couldn't have imagined it, that look had been there. It was one of full trust and love. Blinking, he slumped and stared at her, as she spoke with Sango in hushed whispers. Love? Kagome? Shaking his head, he turned around and wrinkled his nose trying to figure out what his brain already seemed to know, and he had yet to figure out. Frowning, he wondered, Kagome? In love with him? Impossible. Why? She had all those other guys in her life, why show him that look? Had she meant to in the first place? No, impossible.
There was Kouga, and that Huojitsu guy in her time, and there were others right? Leaning against a tree, his brother's whispered words drifted over to him in amusement.
“Told you, you would figure it out eventually.”
That caused Inuyasha to frown more. Why had he been so jealous when those other guys had given Kagome attention? Was it because he felt something for her, and he was just too stupid to realize it? Shaking his head more, he pouted. What was wrong with him? Why would Kagome ever show him love, it must have been the trick of the light. It was ridiculous; she just loved him as a friend. Right? Even if he wanted to believe what he saw, she was too good for him. Too kind hearted, too pure, and far too remarkable.
He swallowed, and his eyes widened until he was sure they would pop out of his sockets. It couldn't be. Kagome loved him? Was that why she always looked so upset and angry whenever he saw Kikyou? Gasping softly, he lifted his gaze and stared at her. No. He bit back any comment and growled. Ridiculous concept. How did he feel about her? True, he protected her, sheltered her, and took care of her.
He gasped loudly, just like any mate would do for the one they loved. Gulping, he yipped and jumped to his feet and fled.
Sesshoumaru laughed as he saw his brother bolt. The others stared after Inuyasha and then glanced over at Sesshoumaru who was laughing carelessly, not caring who heard him. “Baka!” The youkai barked.
Kagome and Sango shared a look and shook their heads not even wanting to know. Inuyasha was now back to normal, so having to worry about his leaving was no longer required, and Kagome sighed.
She glanced over at Sesshoumaru who caught her eyes, and he smiled. “Perhaps, Kagome, you should make sure he doesn't hurt himself.”
Kagome frowned. Was Sesshoumaru concerned, or did he have something up his sleeve. She stood up and brushed off her legs and began walking in the direction Inuyasha had gone.
Once Kagome was out of earshot, Sango looked at Sesshoumaru and scolded him. “That was cruel.”
He raised a brow. “What was?” Sesshoumaru really didn't know what she was referring to. “The baka loves the girl and bolted like a terrified puppy. The miko loves the baka, so what was cruel about it?”
Sango shook her head. “It's like me telling you to go search for Kagura, because maybe she was offended over the flower. It just isn't right.”
Sesshoumaru flinched and felt a tell tale blush rise to his cheeks. He growled. She did have a point. However a small smile drifted across his mouth. “I suppose it isn't right then to mention your affections for the monk, would I be correct in my assumptions?”
Sango blushed and Miroku's eyes bulged. They both blushed a brilliant red, and looked away from each other and Sesshoumaru chuckled. “Touchy subject.” He growled playfully.
Miroku was the first to recover from his blush and he glanced past the youkai with a wicked smile on his face. “Ah, Kagura.” He grinned.
Sesshoumaru felt his heart jump into his throat and he whirled around horrified upon seeing her so soon after he had given her that blasted flower. He didn't even have a good excuse for his actions, yet.
Laughter erupted behind him, and his eyes scanned the area and then realized what they had done. He felt his face heat with the tell tale blush and he growled annoyed. Idiot, he would have sensed her coming.
“Yes, touchy subject.” Miroku roared with laughter.
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at the witty monk and remained silent. Smirking, he shook his head. “It seems monk, perhaps you are wiser then you make yourself out to be. Hiding behind that lecherous behavior.”
Miroku had the common sense to blush again and he protested heavily at the insult. Sesshoumaru smirked and seated himself once again beside the tree and watched as Rin wandered over to him and curled up into his lap. He felt his heart twitch at the simple gesture and he sighed as she curled up against his fur, which was placed in its rightful place. Perhaps life wasn't so complex after all.