Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman Fan Fiction ❯ The Timepiece ❯ The Rescue ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4

The Timeless Phoenix finally comes to a stop signifying the arrival at destination era.

Yuki opened her eyes and looked out the huge window. She could see the huge enemy satellite in the shape of a prism in front of the Timeless Phoenix. Fire could be seen coming out from various openings of the enemy satellite.

Before Yuki had more time to further investigate, the large red alert sign on the top part of the console started blinking and speaker blared.

"RED ALERT! RED ALERT!"

"DESTINATION ARRIVAL 5 MINUTES LATE."

"IMMINENT ENEMY DESTRUCTION!"

"MISSION ABORTION ADVISED!"

"D'oh! What should we do, Lieutenant?" Pepsi asked in her high-pitched agitated voice.

Yuki hesitated, her finger lingering on the abort mission button. A strange feeling enveloped her. She definitely did not like having to go back empty handed. But there was something more than that, way more, she almost felt like there was a strong bonding between her and whosoever trapped in there.

"Yuki, we don't have much time left, let's go back!" Doberman exclaimed, ready to push Yuki aside to get to that Mission Abort button.

"Hold on!" Yuki said sternly. "Please remember I am in charge here."

Another explosion inside the satellite startled her, if she was to go in, she could not lose any more time. The uneasiness grew exponentially and she could not bear it anymore. The one good thing about have a crew composed of entire humanoids was that the human had the right to make all decisions regarding safety. This was stated in the constitution.

"Proceed with the mission," Yuki commanded.

Doberman grunted, "The usual disclaimer, I cannot guarantee your safety in this."

"Did I ask you to?" Yuki answered back as she quickly punched in the command to proceed with the rescue mission.

"Prepare for the Hinotori effect!"

The Timeless Phoenix responded to her command with violent trembling and a rapid energy charge-up, pinning Yuki and her crew to the back of their seats with it's violent forces. The dials on the console turned wild and the ship seemed to have suddenly came alive on her own. Without further warning, the Timeless Phoenix plunged into the Hinotori effect and transformed into the new firebird.

The new firebird raised her head, spread her mighty wings and charged inside the satellite of Sosai Z, screaming majestically. Explosions bombarded her from all directions but the firebird showed no fear, she seemed to know exactly what or who she was looking for. She zoomed through the dark passages in the satellite, her fiery wings shone up the entire passages as she past through. She established her link with her guiding star, the pendant from Dr. Nambu, just as she had been designed to do.

The special crystal in the KNT's wristban also finally sensed the arrival of the firebird, they in turn emitted a special frequency notifying the firebird where the team members were and allowing them to be tele-transported to the safety of the Timeless Phoenix.

The explosions were getting more and more frequent as the satellite of Sosai Z proceeded to disintegrate, one by one, the KNT members were picked up by the firebird, Jinpei, Ryu, Jun, Joe and Ken. In fact, Ken barely made it in before a final explosion shook up the entire satellite, swallowing it all in an ocean of flames.

Meanwhile, the entire population of the planet Earth were huddled together in the underground shelters, waiting for the imminent destruction of their home and their lives. They were watching the KNT's final attempt to eliminate Sosai Z's satellite from television broadcast. Everyone were gritting their teeth, in a few minutes, they cold all become ashes. Parents held their little children wishing for once that they had not brought them out to this world to face this suffering and fear. Lovers embraced one another lamenting what little time they have had in their short lives. Even strangers were hugging one another for support in the high likelihood of such untimely deaths. Everywhere, there were people praying on their knees. Everywhere, there were people who drunk themselves to unconsciousness to avoid having to face this.

The people cheered every time they saw an explosion from the outside of Sosai Z's satellite. Then they fall back into absolute silence waiting for the next explosion, fearing that there would not be another. Another loud cheer went up as the firebird appeared from nowhere and headed straight into the satellite.

"There is still hope. There is still hope." People had shouted excitedly.

Then, all of a sudden, they could see the entire satellite blowing up in flames and starting to disintegrate. A loud cheer went up when this final explosion which proclaimed peace and the end of Sosai Z's threat to their existence occured.

However, it quickly subsided followed by a stark silence as they await the return of their heroes. Minutes dragged by and still no sign of the KNT. The unbearable veil of silence hung on, increasingly joined by the heartbreaking sound of uncontrollable sobbing and wailing.

"L O O K ! T H E F I R E B I R D!" a tiny little voice broke through the silence.

Everybody turned towards the television screen. A deafening cheer then resounded throughout the shelters around the world as the majestic form of the firebird emerged from the blazing fireball that was Sosai Z's satellite and encircled it for three times proclaiming it's victory.

****