Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman Fan Fiction ❯ The Timepiece ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11

The last sound of laughter from the Beach Party subsided as the setting sun slowly crept behind the surrounding hills. A dark curtain of twinkling stars began to engulf the crimson glow in the sky. The moon was showing only half of her face, like a maiden hiding behind the curtain, peeping out, trying to catch a glimpse of the suitor who had come for her.

Yuki padded barefoot along the beach, the sun-kissed sand warming her toes as the waves gently lapped against the shore. It was interesting that only a few hours ago, the beach had been so vibrant with life and laughter, but now, all that could be heard was the sound of the waves and the distant chirping of crickets on some nearby trees.

She sat down in the lounge-chair where he had been in earlier on. Caressing the chair's arm, she wondered how it would feel in his arms with his warm masculine body close by. Her mind couldn't help drifting back to their first meeting. There he was in his civies, cable gun in hand. He had looked so strong and overflowing with masculinity. She had absolutely no idea why her heart would have leapt on seeing him. Was this what they called love at first sight?

Yuki tried to shake her head clear and blushed at her own impertinence. She had felt his eyes on her so often during the volleyball game. Could he be watching her? Or was he merely watching the game? Was it her imagination that he turned away every time she looked over at his direction?

She sighed. Three times had she tried to venture into a conversation during the barbeque and all she ever extorted from him were monosyllables. Yet he conversed so naturally and fluently with all the others.

But then, why should she even think about it? They were from two different eras. It would not work even if he was really interested in her. She shook her head again and sighed.

Yuki was so absorbed in her own thoughts that she didn't noticed that Ken and Jun had come out from the villa. They were strolling along the moon-lit beach hand in hand, chatting and joking together.

Jun was chuckling softly to a joke Ken had told her when she discovered Yuki's forlorn form.

"Look!" She nudged Ken, pointing in Yuki's direction.

Ken looked over, "Isn't that Yuki? What is she doing here all alone? Where's her team? Isn't Dobby supposed to be around protecting her?"

"Meditating?" Jun offered with a mischievous smile.

"Meditating?" Ken echoed, looking at Jun puzzled. "Well, anyway, let's go over and talk to her."

Ken was about to walk over to Yuki when Jun held him back. "No, Ken, she looks like she's deep in thoughts. She might want some privacy."

Ken nodded. "The poor girl looks so forlorn, she must be homesick."

Jun gave him a mysterious smile, "Homesick? You are really dense, eh?"

Ken smirked, "You may think so, darling. Though I know what you are talking about."

Jun raised her eyebrows, "Yeah?"

"You are talking about Joe, right?" Ken flashed Jun a mischievous smile.

"Oh! An amazing improvement, my dear. You noticed?"

Ken laughed softly, "You really think that I am THAT dense? Anybody could see how they looked at one another. Yet both are trying their best to hide it." Ken shook his head, "Don't know why they don't just get it out in the open."

Jun laughed, "Tsk tsk. Look who's talking now! Somebody's suddenly became Dr. Love."

Ken gave her a rueful smile, "Come on Juni, you are not mad with me for hiding it for so long, are you?"

"No, my love, though I would have appreciated your opening up way earlier," Jun replied. Jun looked over at Yuki, "Well, maybe I should go over and play a bit of Dr. Love."

Ken nodded, "Go ahead, Juni. I'll go back inside and let you girls talk." He watched Jun walked over to Yuki. Then, he walked back into the villa.

Yuki was so absorbed in her thoughts that she did not notice Jun until she was right in front of her.

"Hi Yuki, what are you doing out here at this time of the day?" Jun smiled as Yuki looked up from her deep thoughts. "Am I disturbing your tranquility?"

"Oh no! Come sit down Juni, I am just sitting here doing nothing." Yuki replied with a half-hearted smile.

Jun sat down and regarded the younger girl in the moonlight. Her normal cheerful air was missing and the emerald eyes looked lost and forlorn. Jun felt her heart went out for her.

Jun took Yuki's hands and looked earnestly into her eyes.

"Look, Yuki, I know we haven't known one another for a long time. But since the first day I saw you, I have felt such a strong bonding with you that it's like we have known one another all our lives. So, if there is anything bothering you, you know that I am always here for you."

Yuki bit her lips and sighed. "Thank you so much, Juni. But there is really not much to tell."

"Yuki, it's regarding Joe, isn't it?" Jun ventured softly.

Yuki searched at Jun's face. There she was, her mother, in her younger years, with absolutely no idea that she was talking to her own daughter. Jun's face looked so sincere and caring. Yuki couldn't help feeling like a little girl who was hurt and want nothing but to cry in her mothers lap.

Fighting the impulse to weep on Jun's shoulders, Yuki sighed and smiled sadly at Jun, "M.. Juni, I really don't know."

"You like him?" Jun asked.

Yuki hesitated a little bit and then nodded.

"Why don't you tell him then?"

Yuki looked up at the million stars shining in the clear night sky and shrugged, "Juni, I cannot stay here forever, I do not belong to this era."

Jun smiled at Yuki and shook her head. She gently smoothed Yuki's hair back from her eyes. Jun wondered why it felt so natural to just do that. "Silly girl, you should know that our lives are very much from the civilians? We never know what tomorrow will bring. So, we can only live for today and love for today. Do you understand?"

Yuki nodded curtly, "I do understand that, Juni. But inter-era love affairs had never worked."

Jun looked at Yuki earnestly, "Yuki, Joe is experiencing the same torment you are experiencing. And I believe that he has mistaken that you are interested in Ken. He is also not sure of your relationship with Dobby."

Yuki's eyes widened with surprise. She then dropped her head, stood up and looked over at the ebbing waves, "You mean that he is interested in me?"

Jun smiled at her gently and nodded.

Yuki frowned, "Gosh! Are you sure?"

Jun was totally puzzled by Yuki's reaction. "What's the matter, Yuki? Aren't you glad?"

Yuki looked up at the stars and sighed, "I really don't know. All I know is that this is definitely not the right thing to do. However, I cannot control myself. Every time I see him, I yearn for him. And if he is sharing the same feelings, that means we would both suffer when I go."

"But couldn't you stay for him?"

Yuki's lips curled into a sad half-smile, "Juni, I am afraid that's not quite possible."

"Oh?!"

"It's against the law of nature, Juni. You see, I should not have been born yet."

"So, what would happen if you try to stay?" Jun asked, taking Yuki's hand in hers.

Yuki shrugged, "No one really knows, but common believe is that I would eventually disappear into thin air."

Jun gasped, her hands loosened her hold on Yuki's hand. Yuki's patted Jun's hand gently. "That's ok, Juni. I am sure I would not take it so far."

Jun sighed, "There is really no other way?"

Yuki shook her head sadly, "Let's go back inside. It's getting cold out here."

Jun nodded.

The mother and daughter slowly made their way back to the villa in the company of the moonlight.