Kaleido Star Fan Fiction ❯ Setting Her Soul Aflame ❯ Op. I, No. 2: Hurdle after Hurdle after Hurdle ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Music Terminology Reference:
+ concertmistress: leader of the first violin section as well as the entire orchestra, subordinate only to the conductor. [Layla's status]
+ second violin principal: leader of the second violin section. [Sora's temporary status]
+ arpeggio: single notes that are quickly played in a sequence, one after the other, rather than hit simultaneously. [sounds like a bunch fast consecutive notes]
+ measures: segment of time defined as a given number of beats of a given duration. Bar (music) [1 measure = 3 seconds, note: this is an extremely rough estimation]
+ parlor grand piano: 1.7 - 2.2 meters long [smaller than a concert grand piano, but larger than a baby grand piano]
+ serenade: a musical composition in someone's honor
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
Op. I, No. 2: Hurdle after Hurdle after Hurdle
 
Sora's whole body trembled at the sight of glowing, cerulean eyes which seemed to have pierced her soul, sending shivers down her spine. She had never experienced such fear and panic like she was experiencing now and could of sworn Layla's face screamed “I'm going to eat you!” which made her feel like a gazelle that just got snatched by a lion, now awaiting the final deathblow. Even in the midst of the intense and suffocating atmosphere, she found it odd how the blonde neither moved nor uttered a single word.
A long minute passed and thankfully for her, the humming of a cell phone interrupted the uncomfortable situation. Layla released her arm and stepped back to pull out a phone, flipping it open to answer.
“Layla speaking… yes, I apologize for the wait. I'll be there in a few minutes.” Depositing the cell in her overcoat pocket, Layla's intimidating gaze was once again, back on her.
“What are you doing out here?”
“Uh… I was feeling kind of down, so… I thought I would cheer myself up with some music?” She smiled oddly.
“This is something you should do at home.”
“Well… that's what I'm kind of feeling down about. I… don't have a home right now.” She smiled hesitantly.
“I see... Conflicts at home then?”
“Ah, that's not it! I came here from Japan, but things happened, so I didn't have time to find a place before the audition and… I kind of got distracted after the concert to ask anyone for help. Eheheh…” She smiled sheepishly.
“Why don't you stay at a hotel? There's one down the street.”
“Um… somehow, I managed to misplace my money when I left the airport.” She smiled widely.
“… What are you planning to do now?”
“Hm… I haven't planned that far yet. Ahahaha!” Layla sighed and rubbed her temples.
“Stay at my place. You can figure things out tomorrow, but right now, it's late.”
“Eh? But…” Layla turned on her heels and began walking towards the building.
“I'm quite tired, so just be quiet and come.”
Already falling behind, she once again quickly gathered up her belongings and jogged to catch up. Rounding a corner, she spotted a man standing next to a piano-black, Mercedes sedan with the back seat door opened. Layla uttered a few words to him and he briskly walked to the back of the car and popped open the trunk. The blonde glanced at her and pointed to the man before disappearing into the car.
After loading her luggage and settling into the back seat, she was on her way to spend the night at the concertmistress' place. The trip became tensed and a bit awkward, at least for her, because Layla showed no signs of emotion. Under normal circumstances, she would strike up a conversation to break the silence, but the blonde's face looked apathetic, drained, and almost lifeless.
She dared not speak, for fear of awakening something frightening.
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
Belly flopping on her temporary bed, Sora sighed as she nuzzled her face into a pillow, pondering about the stressful events that happened earlier that day. First, her cash got swiped right out of her hands by some swift thug, who disappeared into the crowd, right after she exchanged her yen. Next, her hands were molested by a man, who turned out to be Maestro later, when she was playing her Erhu in a park for money donations. Third, she got arrested under the suspicion of mugging a person when a policeman spotted her making a run for it with her luggage after pushing down Maestro. Even though everything got cleared up, things kept on getting worse after she finally arrived at the concert hall. Jamming her nose after running into a door, denied the audition because she was late, glared at by other musicians because she replaced the second violin principal under Maestro's command, and finally, hallucinating during the performance when she imagined about a floating doll cracking perverted jokes at her.
“Wow, not too shabby! Makes me wanna leave the hall and hang around here.”
Her eyes widen at the sound of a voice she tried very hard to shun out that evening. Quickly rolling over, she buried herself under the blankets.
“So, you can see me.”
“It tal- It really talked... AHAHAHA! AHAHAHA!”
“Why do you laugh?” She froze, wondering if she had lost her mind for the second time that night.
“My name is Fool. I am the Spirit of the Stage.”
“Spirit of the Stage?” She grabbed a pillow and muffled her entire head into it.
“Nothing to hear, nothing to hear, I'm not hearing any weird voices. Nothing to see, nothing to see, I'm not seeing anything weird!” She slowly peered out from under the pillow and to her relief, saw nothing.
“Oh, it's not there anymore. Thank goodness.”
“What are you doing?”
“WHOA!” The sudden appearance and close proximity of `Fool' had triggered her reflexes, making her jump up and fall off the bed in the same process.
“Listen, if you can see me, it means that you were chosen for the stage.”
“It's still talking!”
“What is your name?”
“Sora Naegino. Wait, I'm talking back to it!”
“Sora Naegino... Looks like another interesting star will be born. Tonight, a new era is about to be- HEY!”
She had grabbed the talking doll, pulled the balcony door open, tossed the strange being over the rail, and slammed the door shut. Unfortunately for her, Fool was back in an instant, pounding on glass door making it rattle quite loudly.
"How dare you treat the Spirit of the Stage this way?! I demand you let me in right now.”
“It's not here. It's just my imagination.” In a sleepy manner, she turned away and trotted towards the other door in denial.
“You're still trying to ignore me? When are you going to accept that I am very much real and am really talking to you! Let me back in!” Fool continued to beat on the glass.
“Maybe I'm a little tired after all.”
"When you're tired, you should take a shower and go to bed early." The doll would not shut up.
"You're right. I think I'll do that. Take a shower and... HUH?!"
What she saw after opening the door had nearly dropped her dead from the enticing sight that beheld her. A gorgeous blonde, who was dressed in a silk, crimson negligee revealing bountiful seductive features, stood in front of the door with a fist raised, ready to knock. A sly whistle from outside pulled her mind out of the gutter.
“ACK!” She slammed the door shut on impulse and backed into it breathing heavily.
“Sora! What on earth are you doing in there!? I can hear you from the other room!”
"What are you waiting for? Off with your clothes and take a shower! Oh? You look pale. It's only me and Layla here, what's there to be ashamed about? Hurry up! Take off your clothes and shower."
Oddly enough, she felt trapped for some reason.
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
After a long night of being scolded by Layla while attempting to be rid of Fool, Sora found herself wearing a pair of panda eyes as she sat at the dining table for breakfast. As a result of the crazy events that took place yesterday, she ended up zoning out and even struggled to thank the maid when a traditional, western style meal was placed in front of her. Layla, who was sitting across from her, was quietly sipping tea while eating an identical meal.
After several moments of silently eating, the intercom buzzed from the nearby kitchen, freaking her out in the process. The maid was there in an instant to answer it and then rushed off somewhere. A few moments later, a slicked-back, pale blond hair man wearing a business suit walked in with the maid following behind.
“Father! What a pleasant surprise!” Layla's face immediately lit up as she stood up to greet him.
“Ah, Layla. Good morning. Congratulations on the successful concert! Sit down and let's talk for a little bit.”
“Thank you. You were watching yesterday?”
“No, but I heard it was really something with the sudden, unexpected changes.”
“I see… I really would like you to see my concert this time.”
“Sorry sweetie, but I don't have the time. By the way, do you know about Arlon Brass?”
“He sounds familiar. If I remember correctly, he's the musician that toured the world, guest performing in many orchestras.”
“That's right. He became a legend after his unfortunate death. I want you to follow in his foots steps and continue the legacy. This is a great opportunity to advance your career from being Kaleido Philharmonic's top musician to becoming a worldwide top musician. You have that much commercial value.” Layla's eyes shifted from innocent to stern during the intense pause.
“I understand.”
“Good! That's my girl!” As he stood up, his face became surprised when he seemed to have noticed her presence.
“Oh? What do we have here? It's rare for Layla to have someone over.”
“AH! Excuse my rudeness. I'm Sora Naegino! Please to meet you! Sorry if I'm troubling you by being here.” She had shot up out of her chair and bowed.
“Not at all! Oh I see now! You must be the one who played the duet with my daughter, am I correct? I'll have to hear you play sometime.”
“Father, if you would come to the actual concert, you could-”
“Ah look at the time! My plane will be lifting off soon, so I must go now. Good day to you Sora. Layla, make sure you start looking around for other potential orchestras.” He kissed Layla on the cheek and left, leaving the two of them alone again.
“It was too bad that your father couldn't stay for your concert yesterday.”
“That's nothing new.”
“Oh… Is he always really that busy?”
“Yes. So busy that he has never seen one of my concerts to the end.”
A gloomy silence draped over the room as she quietly watched Layla, who seemed to have abandoned her breakfast, sipping her tea. The blonde's demeanor appeared to be smeared with disappointment and… loneliness.
For some reason, her heart felt heavy all of a sudden.
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
Breakfast ended and Sora was driven back with Layla to the concert hall. The trip was not as awkward as last night, but it still made her a bit nervous. After arriving, she parted ways with the concertmistress and walked around to find someone who could help cure her homelessness.
“Sora! SORA!”
She turned around to see Mia waving at her with Anna, the new comer she had met in the dresser room yesterday. Hustling to meet up with them, she was met in return with a fierce hug from the music coordinator.
“I'm sorry, Sora. It's all because I made a big deal about you not auditioning and got you bullied by everyone.” Mia had released her from the embrace with a look of guilt.
"No, don't worry about it. I'm very grateful that I was given another chance to prove myself after missing the audition. I'll have to thank you.”
She smiled, feeling relieved that at least one person would not be glaring at her today. Anna, with her head lowered, had stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder.
“At first, I thought you were accepted because you kissed up to Maestro, but I guess that wasn't the case. You were really wicked out there last night! Sorry for misunderstanding.” Anna grinned and had smacked her back really hard when the `wicked' part was emphasized.
“Ehehehe, I wasn't great at all and don't worry about it. I'm glad we can become friends!” After the mental endurance test from yesterday and this morning, her head was practically in the clouds from hearing such pleasant talk from these two.
“If there's anything we can do to make it up to you, please don't hesitate to ask!” Mia had taken a hold of her hand.
“Thank you, but you don't have to do anything. Really, don't worry about it. AH! That's RIGHT! Actually, do you guys know where I can apply for a cheap apartment with vacancy?”
“Do we?! Definitely! There's one nearby and most of the musicians favor it because the walls have sound silencing insulation in them. You can practice your instrument without having the neighbors complain.”
“We can take you in the evening! Anna and I also live there.”
“Thank you SO MUCH! You guys have no idea how much you just helped out!” She was about to shed some happy tears from their gracious generosity when Ken, the young man who helped her out yesterday, came by.
“Sora! I finally found you! Maestro wants to see you in his office.”
“Yes! I'll be right there! Mia, Anna, I'll see you guys around!” Mia waved while Anna gave her a wink and a thumbs up.
After departing from her new found friends, Ken led her to Maestro's office and left with a shy smile and what appeared to be a slight blush. She knocked on the massive double doors and heard a voice giving her permission to enter. As she stepped in, she saw Layla handing a few documents to Maestro.
“Well then, is there anything else you need from me before I leave?”
“As a matter of fact there is, but first have a seat. Sora, come in and sit down.” She did as she was told, but tensed up when Maestro beamed his tinted spectacles at her.
“Sora, I have a job for you. Since Layla will be temporarily leaving in a few weeks, I want you to take over as concertmistress in her absence.”
“WHAT!?” both girls simultaneously shouted.
“Carlos, stop with these ridiculous arrangements. You were able to pull it off yesterday, but I doubt it will happen again.” Maestro switched his attention to Layla.
“True… Which leads to this, I have a favor to ask from you. I want you to take Sora as your understudy.
“WHAT!?” both girls simultaneously shouted again.
“Why… Why does it have to be Sora? Why can't you make it easier on yourself and choose the current principal of the second violin section? He can easily manage the role.”
“Ah, but Mr. Kenneth has taken an interest in Sora after yesterday's performance. He offered to double his investment in the Kaleido Philharmonic if Sora were to play a major part on stage again. Isn't it interesting that his offer was made right before you decided to leave?”
There was a long pause. Layla looked sullen as she engaged in an intensive staring contest with Maestro. A few more moments passed and the blonde's glare was now on her.
“Sora.”
“Yes!”
“Do you have confidence?”
“Uh…”
“If you don't have confidence, excuse yourself from this role. Mr. Kenneth will understand. Carlos, she cannot do this. I think it's pitiful to pressure her more than what you were doing yesterday.”
“I… Layla, I want to try it.”
“What?”
“Let me do this, Layla. Please!”
“Are you serious?”
“I am! I still don't have confidence, but… I believe with you, I can do it.”
She looked at Layla straight in the eyes, determined not to back down, even though she was shaken up by the amount of pressure she just placed on herself. She would do this. She would prove that she could do something right.
“Fine. We are to meet in the private rehearsal room every morning and practice until the afternoon.” With that, Layla stood up, turned on her heel, and stormed out of the room.
She slumped in her chair and sighed, relived at being accepted, but a bit mystified by how she was able to withstand Layla's piercing icy eyes. She could not help but wonder if she just dug herself a hole she could not climb out of. Turning to face Maestro, her eyes widen right before he buried his face in a bunch of music scores.
Was she hallucinating again or did she really see a mischievous grin on his face?
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
The sound of smooth arpeggios filled the private rehearsal room as Layla glided her delicate fingers across the ivory and ebony keys of a parlor grand piano. Sora's mind was in awe as she admired the radiant aura that emitted from the graceful concertmistress. An image of a flowery meadow filled her thoughts as she envisioned the blonde's golden hair elegantly flowing in the soft breeze while playing a serenade to Mother Nature. Even after the music had abruptly stopped, she continued to daydream and wondered why such a sweet melody could end so soon.
“Sora.”
“YES!” She slightly jerked as her mind came crashing back down to earth.
“Why aren't you playing along?”
“AH! Sorry!”
“Pay attention.”
“Yes!”
She raised her bow and placed it on the strings of her violin, which was already rested between her chin and shoulder. With a nod, Layla and her entered the piece on the same beat, but in a few seconds she fumbled on a note, provoking the blonde to slam the keys to a halt.
“Don't mess up just two measures in!”
“Sorry!”
“Again.”
She positioned herself once more and began to play. Layla's moves. Layla's pauses. Layla's rhythms. Quickly… She must learn them quickly.
“You're not even looking at the sheet music! I thought you said you didn't know this piece?”
“Eh? Sorry!” Sighing, Layla stood up from the piano, sauntered to a nearby table, and poured hot water into a cup making some tea.
“Take a break.”
“Okay…”
Grabbing her music sheet, she sat down at the same table and hoped that the short break would provide her with enough time to fully grasp the piece. After flipping through several pages and squinting at a few complex sections, she heard a sigh, which made her glance up at the source. Layla was staring out the window with the same sad expression she had on earlier that morning.
“Layla… About leaving, maybe you're actually…”
“I will audition for other orchestras. I'll make sure to live up to my father's expectations, because I don't want to disappoint him.”
“It sounds like your father doesn't understand your feelings at all.”
“That is how things work between us, but even so, he cares about me in his own way. That's enough for me… Well, I think you heard enough. Let's get back to practice.”
“… Yes.”
During the resumed practice, Layla's radiant aura seemed to have dimmed a bit.
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
The sun disappeared over the horizon and once again, Sora departed from Layla, who went to prepare for the evening concert. She hauled her luggage, carrying it around for two days now, out into the lobby and looked for Mia and Anna. She spotted Anna, who was carrying a guitar case, walking towards her.
“Sora!”
“Anna! Good evening! Where's Mia?”
“She's at the rehearsal for tonight's concert.”
“OH! That's right! Are we supposed to be there as well?”
“Nah. Yesterday was a special concert that Maestro whipped up for the new comers. It was a one time deal only.”
“I see.”
“Come on Sora, let's go! We have to sign you up for a room!”
“Okay!”
Although the walk was a bit long, she was thankful for how close the apartment was because she had not quite figured out how to commute to the hall if she were to live at a farther distance. After calling her parents, who scolded her for not calling earlier, and asking if they would transfer money to the new checking account she got from a nearby bank, she found herself standing in front of the door to her new room.
“Sora, Mia will be here in a bit, so come make dinner with us! I doubt you have any food on you, so stop by after you unpack. We'll introduce you to the landlady too! She loves meeting new residents.”
“Oh thank you! I'll be sure to come. Which room?”
“Three doors down from here. Lucky huh? I'll see you then!” Anna waved and left.
Facing back to the door, she inserted the key she got from the part time worker and turned the door handle, pushing it open. After flicking on the lights and walking in, she wowed at the spacious, yet unfurnished room, completed with a small bathroom and kitchen as well. The floor was lined with oak wood that nicely contrasted with the beige walls, which she guessed contained sound silencing insulation from what Anna had mentioned earlier. Tossing her luggage to the side, she decided to sprawl out on the ground in the middle of the empty room.
“Finally! Moments of relaxation!”
“Hm… Not as fancy as Layla's place, but still decent.”
“… What do you want?”
“Oh? So you're finally accepting my existence?”
“I think it's more stressful if I don't.”
“That's for sure. You were pretty freaky talking to yourself last night.” A knock on the door, which was accompanied by a singing introduction, interrupted her death glare at Fool.
“Sora! This is Sarah, your one and only, lovely landlady! I want to meet you so come out and play!”
She jumped up and hustled towards the door, eager to converse with what seemed like another nice person, as well as excited at the thought of eating dinner with Mia and Anna. When she opened the door, the familiar state of being rooted to the floor once again took its toll. There stood Sarah Dupont, leading diva of the Kaleido Phiharmonic, but what really paralyzed her was the person standing next to the enthusiastic singer.
“Ah, so you're Sora, the funny violinist from yesterday! You're going to have lots of fun living here! Oh, before we meet up with Mia and Anna, just wanted to say that Layla will be staying with you for a while.” Layla stepped forward, pulling her suitcase trolley along.
“I hope you don't mind.”
“Isn't this nice? We're going to be one big happy family!”
At that moment, Sora's spirit was lifelessly, drifting away.
______________________________________________________________ ________________
 
Chapter Notes:
- I apologize if this chapter didn't pack a punch, but I needed to get a few things going to make future chapters click. Story background, relationship development, and character growth are a few building blocks to name.
- I am well aware that Carlos is a bit out of character, since I don't recall him ever grinning or being sneaky like that in the actual anime, but he was such an asshole in the show. I want all of the characters to be likeable, so that's why I'm tweaking this guy a bit in my story.
- If you got something to say or ask after reading, I want to hear it! The Email Author or Write Review link is there for you.
- 12/19/2008