Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Chibi Vampire: the Selibri's Waltz, (Or: The Dream--The Reality.) ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20
 
The plane set down in Warsaw, Poland, and it was rolled into a special hangar. There they slept until sundown. Keelin was the first to awaken, watching everyone in their last few moment of sleep. The next one up was Jean-Claude, and he smiled at Keelin and gave her a wink as she gave a girlish giggle. “Good morning,” she said, to which he responded, “Or good evening, if you prefer.”
He then stood up and began to assess how things were going and saw everyone was still out. It was time to get things going and he shouted, “Alright everyone: rise and shine!”
Chiyuki shot up and asked, “Pocky?” glancing around. “We're in Poland,” responded Jean-Claude, “and who's Pocky?”
“The best food ever!” Chiyuki said, yawning.
“Well, if it's here, well find it,” said Jean-Claude. He then began to gather his gear and said, “The way we're going in, we won't need to go through customs but twice, but it is a bit of a way to the province of Transylvania. Its better we go in on the ground rather than broadcast ourselves more than we have.”
He then went up to Chiyuki and said, “We need to talk, privately.”
Chiyuki nodded and cat yawned, picking up her sword and following Jean-Claude.
 
Once out of earshot, he said to her, “I had an interesting conversation with your daughter during the flight.”
“Interesting…as in, how?”
“Interesting, as in I found out there is a yin/yang kind of spirit guiding her. One is named Ai.”
“The other?”
“I'm not sure you want to know, because I trust her word about as far I could have thrown her.”
“Teresa?”
“Unfortunately, yes, and I don't know how she could still be an influence. Once in Hell, you're there to stay, do not pass `GO', do not collect $200.”
“I have always known that Selibri can capture souls, but that's usually right before they die. Yet, considering your daughter, and your connections to all involved, I can only think that, for whatever reason, those souls were captured by her somehow. She can only be controlled by them when she lets. That's what frightens me. Yet, why Teresa: why was she selected?”
“Maybe, redemption, or she serves a better purpose there.”
“All I know is that she is one of the voices out of the two that counsel your daughter.”
Jean-Claude was surprised at her nonchalant attitude about the whole thing. He couldn't understand it until she said, “Well horse hockey...I guess Ai will balance her out then.”
“She'd better, or I will have to find some way to reach into the spirit realm and throttle Teresa myself!” was all that Jean-Claude could respond.
Chiyuki giggled slightly and said, “Sounds more like something I'd do! Are you sure that you're not catching Chiyuki fever?”
Jean-Claude left that as something rhetorical and said, “So, what do you think? I mean, is this something to worry about?”
“Nah, if it has happened I suppose there is no need to worry.”
Jean-Claude still didn't understand, but let it go and started to think about Keelin as he said, “I'm telling you, she's going to become my new Corn Muffin if she keeps it up—she's real special.”
Chiyuki rolled her eyes and said, “My daughter had to be special: she just couldn't be normal...”
“What's wrong with that? You should be proud of her.”
“I am, but if you could choose between having your children bearing the burden of what they are, swapped with someone just as reliable and worthy,” she said, running a hand through her hair, “Just have it not be your children, would you want that for them; because good and bad will come of what they are. And as a parent you must understand the feeling of not wanting them to face any hardships, especially any of the type we had to face.”
“But you forget about my twins. They are almost freshmen now, and they are almost adults. Wow! Anyway, I have seen what it takes to deal with that. They are powerful now, and they are almost at the point where I cannot relate to them as equals, but the superiors that they are. I came to realize long ago that, when something happens, you must deal with it. Yes, they bore burdens, and still do. However, I found it a joy to help them bear that burden, as I would find it a joy to help bear hers. I would not trade that for anything.”
Chiyuki smiled slightly and said, “I wish I could be that optimistic.”
“With all these friends around, we can help you bear it as well,” he answered.
Chiyuki sighed and said, yawning, “Yeah, yeah… Let's just kick some undead butt!”
Jean-Claude just smiled, knowing that that was her way of saying, “Thank you,” and let it go. He gathered his things and said, “Okay, crew, we need to get a car or large vehicle, and slowly start to move our way towards our target. Along the way, we WILL face undead abominations created by Vlad himself, so they won't be easy. Keep your blades handy, as they may not allow us to use the weapons we have—they may not give us the chance. Okay, let's get going.”
Chiyuki nodded. Keelin climbed up on Ryuu's back. Ryuu blinked and glanced back at her but didn't question it.
 
As they were leaving, Jean-Claude said, “Hey, she likes you, boss! Besides, she's carrying someone very special to you, and really, to all of us. When it's time, I'm sure Keelin will tell you all about it.”
Ryuu blinked in confusion as Keelin burrowed her head into his shoulder. “Keelin, it's okay,” said Jean-Claude, “You don't have to say anything—only when you want; only when you are ready.”
Ryuu blinked and said, “Well, let's go before Chiyuki get anxious and kills us for taking too long.”
As they left, Jean-Claude could not help but look over his shoulder and say, “You're afraid of her? Boy, there must be some things about her I just don't want to know!”
“You have no idea!” he groaned, in playful complaint.
They got to a car rental place, and Jean-Claude asked if anyone knew Polish. Ryuu nodded, “I do.”
“See if you can get us a Suburban or something like that for everyone, and the gear,” responded Jean-Claude as he looked over his things and made sure his kids things were okay. Ryuu nodded and walked up, speaking in fast and fluent Polish. The car dealer smiled, and nodded guiding him somewhere. Jean-Claude nodded for everyone to follow. Ryuu continued to talk, his tones seductive and soothing. The car dealer then nodded at something he said and gave him the keys to a brand new large all-terrain SUV. “Is that what you wanted?” Ryuu asked.
“That's exactly what I was looking for,” said Jean-Claude, “Um...where's the paperwork? We gotta sign for her.”
“No we don't, it's a gift, unregistered,” responded Ryuu, “There is no way to track us; he won't even remember speaking to us.”
“I don't know whether to kiss you, or scold you,” said Jean-Claude, but Anjou slipped up and said, “Big brother, remember: our world is not their world, no matter how much we become one. You said so yourself.”
“Not that I don't get constant reminders,” grumbled Jean-Claude.
“Don't worry, Uncle,” said Anjou, (referring to Ryuu,) “he'll come along with things in time.”
Ryuu nodded and said slyly, “Just wait till he sees the interior,” winking deviously at Anjou, “He'll have a cow then.”
Anjou smiled and chuckled. He climbed into the cab, and his jaw hit the floor, considering that the thing was, for the lack of a better term, “pimped out”. Ryuu grinned walking in after him and said, “Like?”
Jean-Claude shook his head and said, “For trying to keep things quiet, you sure have an interesting idea of subtle.”
With that, he pulled out his flash drive and put on “America” for some good cruise music: nothing hard, but upbeat to keep them awake on a dark night. “The first thing we do is get in town, find a place to camp a couple of days, and then find out where to go next,” said Jean-Claude.
Ryuu grinned at the use of the flash drive and said, “It came with the deal. Anyhow, I figured we should enjoy our stay. Chiyuki will be happy.”
“I am certain of that!” said Jean-Claude.
 
They drove for some time, and they eventually ran into the Polish border with Ukraine. They would have to pass through there to get to Romania. After they all showed their passports, the guards got curious as to the number of people, and some of the dogs were beginning to react oddly. They then asked everyone to exit the vehicle, and they were about to bring the dogs through. It was not so much that they were reacting to anything in the vehicle, though that was there, but it was by the occupants themselves. However, before they could get far, Ryuu approached the three men there, and stared at them for a moment. Suddenly, with a blank look on his face, the man with the stamp first stamped all the papers he needed to stamp, then had everyone board, and then bid them a good evening. As they drove on, Jean-Claude said, “Man, we were close to being sunk there!”
“They won't even remember we came through,” said Ryuu, “No matter what happens, we can make it as if we had never been here.”
Jean-Claude then said, “Thanks for coming.”
“Hey, there's only room for one ancient big daddy vamp in this world!”
They all laughed and went their way.
 
As they headed into Transylvania, Jean-Claude looked in the mirror to see how Chiyuki was indeed enjoying it. Chiyuki was laying on one of the couches, which had a built in massager. Keelin was poking her belly. Jean-Claude smiled when he saw that, as did Karin, who patted her on the head, and said, “Is that fun, poking her like that?”
“It irritates her,” she said and teased as she continued, “Because she is old!”
“Her age may be old,” said Karin, trying to distract the girl so Chi could get her rest, “But her body is as young as the day is new. That's just the nature of what we are. You're the same way. You'll grow up, but then you'll always look young, sweetie.”
“But in being forever young, you still are old by age, spirit and mind,” Keelin said, intuitively.
Jean-Claude knew that was beyond her years to say, but he kept in mind what she was. Karin just giggled and said, “So, why does that bug her,” and she looked at Chiyuki and said, “And why do you let her?”
“Nah, its playful banter, the same way I tease her about being so short,” Chiyuki said, grinning mischievously.
Jean-Claude saw the interactions of everyone in the vehicle: vampire, Golconda, dhampir, and if humans had been there in the know, they would have also interacted well. It all looked like family. He thought, “If the whole world could just see and understand this. I wonder if this is how Dr. King felt from time to time.
Chiyuki glanced over at Jean-Claude, recognizing that look in his face, and she thought, “Fantasizing about World Peace again...such a hopeless cause; I wonder sometimes why I stay.
However, if that had been said, Jean-Claude would have admitted that world peace was not possible: as long as people were on the earth, there would be wars. However, if there could be at least a peace between the two worlds, then that would be enough for him. Anjou looked a Chiyuki, saw the look on her face, and became indignant as she said with her usual approach, “You know well why Big Brother wants these kinds of things. Look around you. See how we interact. Stop thinking about only yourself, or else you are going to end up alone again.”
This was with that cold look she was used to giving, and Ren said, “Anjou, knock it off.”
She snapped around to look at Ren and said, “And you, of all people, who owe Big Brother so much, should have broken your selfish wife of her attitude long ago.”
Jean-Claude sighed and shook his head, saying, “It was good while it lasted.”
Chiyuki sighed, “I never knew the idle thoughts could be a capital offense.”
Anjou would have none of it. She then said, “I can see why you and Ren get along. You two are two of the most selfish people I know.”
She sat back straight in her seat, arms crossed, staring right into the seat in front of her. Chiyuki glanced up at the sun roof above her, opened it and jumped out, walking away from the SUV. While walking she kicked a pebble so hard it cut a tree in half, since they were in the middle of nowhere, the sound was only heard by her and possibly the SUV. Karin hollered, “We're going to leave her behind...” but Ren said, “It's okay, she'll catch up when she's blown off some steam.”
He then turned a glance to Anjou, saying, “Nice going, idiot! I thought Karin did some airheaded things.”
That caught Karin's attention, she becoming a bit protective of her sister, but she looked Karin down. She then looked at Ren and said, “If she doesn't change her attitude, and you as well, we're better off without her.”
That caught Jean-Claude's attention, and he thundered, “ENOUGH! Anjou, I'm surprised at you! Look, sometimes its better just to let people think what they want, and just keep going. If we do succeed in the Dream to the fullest possible thing, she will be more pleasantly surprised, a lot more accepting, and a lot more humbled by it. I don't ever want to hear that from you again, no matter how much she aggravates you. She has to learn, and some are slower than others. We have to give her space and time.”
He sat at the wheel now, steam pouring out of his ears. Chiyuki glanced at the fallen tree, then climbed up another one, up to the top and sat there, thinking. Anjou looked down, half angry, but half sorry for what she had said. She muttered, “I just wish I knew what she was on about. She has been elusive to us ever since the day we first met her.”
Ryuu chuckled and said, “You think that's bad, it's the way Chiyuki is, no one knows why. The only one here who might know such a thing is the very brother you claim to be selfish. When really he could be thinking as Chiyuki thinks. Which makes their intentions confusing to people not on her wavelengths...I have met few who truly understand her way of thinking.”
Karin, out of strict curiosity, asked, “Then what is she on about? She always seems bored with this, seems like she doesn't care about the good things that have happened, she seems to just be in this for herself.”
However, Sheila piped up and said, “She does care, believe me, she does. Of all of us, outside of Ryuu, she has lost the most. She would indeed love to find a world where she does not have to flee anymore as well. She sees father as the key, but she thinks he sets his goals too high. Whatever happens, our worlds will mesh together one day, but she just wants everyone to keep their feet on the ground in doing it.”
Jean-Claude then remembered just why she was what she was, and had to say, “Perhaps you're right, your highness. We can't let our guards down.”
“I...I believe she is always bored-like because of the background she came from. When she shows no interest, then other people try harder to prove to her the reason for interest in this,” Ryuu added, explaining one of Karin's questions.
Ren then added, “Thus, it gets them to be more into what they are doing.”
“Correct,” said Ryuu.
Mickey then said, “And, of all of us, no matter how strong she seems, she is the most fragile soul. She wants love so bad, but doesn't want to admit it, lest she be thought weak. We need to give her as much support as we can. Anjou, I think you owe her an apology.”
Now, all Anjou could do was sit there with a tear rolling down her cheek. She too knew what it was like to be alone, and ever since her “Big Brother” came into the picture, that had been taken from her. Now, she had someone with whom she could have related, and she proverbially slapped her in the face. Ryuu wiped the tear of Anjou's face with his thumb and said, “Ne pas sentir de chagrin cher Anjou,” which translated, means, “Do not take in the scent of grief, dear Anjou.”
She looked up at him, surprised at his tenderness, and she said, (choking back a tear or two,) “But...but I was so mean to her. I was the selfish one.”
“Its fine,” he said, “All can be forgiven and forgotten, or else I wouldn't be here. Regret of saying those words, and having the desire to apologize, no matter how meager it may be, can get you out of more trouble, and into good things better than you think, young one.”
Now all sat quiet in the car, just meditating on the things they had just heard. There was much to learn.
 
Soon, they were at the border of Romania, and the process was repeated again. Soon, they were off down the lonely country road, heading for Barsov, and north of their target. As they went, Beowulf spies were watching their approach. They had a hunch to where they might be heading, and Wolfgang radioed to them to tail them. If it was Barsov to where they headed, they would be sure to have the princess ready. She would have to go around another direction, because they would have to pass the castle by a direct route. They would be ready. Wolfgang informed Mina that they were coming, and they were more than likely headed for Barsov before the sun rose. She then said, “Forget the car, we shall go by helicopter. We will meet him there, and watch the most expensive hotels. For some reason, I do believe that Ryuu would not take anything outside of the best. Let us hurry, because I suspect that grandfather has his own spies all around, and he will try to stop them, or at the least, test them to see what they can do. We may have to aid them, so we must be swift. Prepare, Wolfgang, because this all may be over soon.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
5