Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18
 
Maki had been spending much more time with Wiener in recent days. Karin had been living more at night, because everyone had decided to do so for cohesion, yet, Karin still took some days to be with her friend. Maki could not work at night, for the sake of the bookshop. Now Karin was a regular vampire, so now she could only see so much of her. To stave off the bit of loneliness, she had been spending more time with Wiener. She was happier that day, because Karin, Kenta, her and Wiener were going to have dinner, and then go watch Jean-Claude and Chiyuki play in the new amateur ice hockey league. It was a city league of players who wanted to keep their skills honed, and who just wanted to have fun. It would be full contact, but there would be a lighter feel to things, because the competitive edge was not as great. Everyone was determined to have fun despite all that was going on.
 
Karin and Wiener closed up the shop as Karin and Kenta approached. Maki put a strong bear hug onto Karin, and said, “Karin, it's so good to see you!”
Karin was taken by surprise at this, hugged back, and said, “Maki, you act like I've been gone for months!”
“I'm sorry,” she said, “It feels like you have been gone that long.”
“I'm sorry it had to be this way,” said Karin, “Besides, they kind of blindsided me with this.”
“It stinks,” said Maki, “But I am glad you can live now.”
“So am I,” said Kenta, giving her a good squeeze, “I don't know what I would do without her.”
“One thing is for sure,” said Karin, “Having this `psyche' thing hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles was Hell. I could not believe how greedy some people could be. The Brownlick family was willing to drain me dry when my blood rose as quickly as possible to insure that only they could breed, and, (quite literally,) to Hell with everyone else! Even after things had been resolved, knowing that I could keel over at any moment was rough. I mean, I was glad to be able to help my fellow vampires, but never knowing what each day brought was like a weight on my back. Now that is gone, and things are, well, different.”
As they walked on, Maki asked, “How different is it now? How has the change been?”
“Well, at first it was hard,” said Karin, “because I had to change my whole perspective on things.”
“How so?” asked Maki.
“Well, I had to get used to not having the sun,” answered Karin, “but Jean-Claude showed me that the night can be even better. Right now, the moon in its phase makes it look as bright as a cloudy day. Having to feel was odd, but now I cannot wait to get the chance.”
“That sounds a little eerie,” said Maki, rolling her eyes.
“I know it's hard for you to understand,” said Karin, “but if you could only understand the taste, it's not so eerie. Not being able to taste my own cooking as I used to was hard. Yet, when I figured how good the blood can taste, it made food pale by comparison. It's so sweet!”
“I'll…take your word on it!” said Maki, shivering a bit.
“Using abilities is better now,” said Karin, trying to change the subject for the sake of her friend, “This is because I don't have to be conscious of my blood use now—either in making it or spending it. The use of my abilities is now almost instinctive. I guess I could say that things are good—not better or worse—just good in its own way. Maybe I could say that it was the same sensation that I had when I awakened. It was as if I had awakened again. Jean-Claude taught me how to accept what I am—a vampire—and how to love myself, even if I was a un-vampire. Now, I could say that I love myself even more. I don't want to say `better' or `worse,' but I guess I could say that I feel more complete as a person.”
“By what Jean-Claude implies,” pondered Wiener, “it seems that vampires had no idea how to tap into their humanity. I mean, I know you are not human, but there is a human side. You have feelings, emotions, needs, wants—you're a person.”
“Greed and lust for power help one forget one's humanity,” added Kenta.
“That was the problem that Hitler had,” said Wiener, “He thought himself to be so superior to the rest of the human race that he demanded that he be worshipped as a god.”
“Anyone—human or vampire—when giving that kind of power, would expect that kind of reverence,” said Kenta, “When that happens, despite one thinking that they are greater than the rest of all sentient beings, they end up something less.”
“What are you getting at, baby?” said Maki.
“One is a monster by what one is in his heart, not what one is as a being,” said Wiener, “This is something that I am so glad you three taught me.”
At that, they were all arm and arm.
 
They reached the arena, and the Innocent sisters were there at Jean-Claude's request. Ai and Ryuu were there to see what it was Chiyuki got out of the sport, and Yuriya was there with the twins. Karin came up to Yuriya and said, “Why are they here?”
Shelia squealed to see Karin, and crawled up onto her lap. Karin hugged and kissed her as Yuriya said, “Jean-Claude just didn't want to let them or me out of his sight.”
“Wouldn't they be safer on the hill?” asked Karin.
“He didn't want to take any chances,” answered Yuriya.
Sea Blue was chattering to Maki, Wiener, and Kenta about how exciting things were on the ice, and they felt like they were getting a play-by-play. “We should put you on television,” said Maki.
“You really think so?” said Sea Blue, “Wouldn't I look so cute in the business suit and with the mike?”
However, Ruby rolled her eyes, and said, “Sure, and wouldn't it be neat to watch you on a Saturday afternoon baseball game trying to do an interview as you begin to fry to a crisp.”
Everyone laughed hard, including Anjou and Ruby, as Sea Blue just rolled her eyes. Ai and Ryuu were watching the game, seeing it as a touch barbaric. Of course, Chiyuki was making it look easy. Yukkiko was cheering her on, preparing to take over in the second period. They found it odd that she would do this and not get bored. After all, she could defend the goal with her eyes closed if she wished. However, Ryuu was seeing at least a hint of the brutality of which Jean-Claude was capable. He was not the enforcer as he used to be, for a league like that did not call for one. However, when he did hit, it was with authority. Still, everyone was enjoying themselves. However, in the city, someone was patrolling.
 
Victor was at his place, going over books on the occult and voodoo lore, hoping to have a better understanding of what faced the Clan. He saw the clock, and he knew that Wiener should be returning soon. His attention was quickly diverted when he heard a knock at the door. Understanding the danger that was about, he picked up his .357 and went to the door…
 
After it was done, Yuriya, (with the twins,) Jean-Claude, and Anjou headed home, Ren caught up with Chiyuki and Yukkiko's beau for a night of feeding. That left the rest to head back to Wiener's place. As they approached, two loud shots rang out. Karin and Kenta were the first to get there due to their abilities. Maki and Wiener came quickly after. When they arrived, the door to Wiener's place was slightly ajar, which was off for Victor to do. The split second they began to ask why this was so, the door flew off its hinges, followed by a screaming maniac with blood falling off his chin. He headed straight for Maki, who barely had a chance to scream. As if on cue, Karin and Kenta both dove into him. The Innocent sisters were there, trying to follow things up on the creature. However, this…whatever it was…was giving them the hardest time in trying to subdue it. “NO!” came a yell from the house, as Wiener in to grab a weapon and to check on his grandfather. Victor had been fed upon and then torn open. He was bleeding badly. Wiener filled with raged and charged out. Immediately, he pounced on the thing, and the two of them tumbled everywhere. While all this was going on, Ai and Ryuu heard the gunshots, and they moved in quickly. They arrived at the very moment a simultaneous strike was made in that fight. Wiener plunged in the sword to the creature's heart at the same moment the creature hacked a huge gash into Wiener's chest. Note that all this happened within 30 seconds of time. Within a couple more seconds, Ryuu assessed the danger, just as Chiyuki, Ren, Yukkiko and her beau arrived. The thing had been an undead, and Maki, Victor, and Wiener all had mortal wounds. Ryuu knew that he had no time for permission to anyone for anything, (and he probably would not have asked anyway.) He quickly told Ai and Karin what was needed. Knowing she might protest, he said it with a look only he knew how to produce that said he was not in the mood to argue. The Innocents were then shocked to see Karin start to feed on Maki. Maki was exuding enough unhappiness for Karin to do this without difficulty. As she did, she said, “I'm sorry, Maki, it's the only way to save you.”
While this was happening, Ai was dealing with Wiener, and Ryuu was with Victor. Karin however was having a hard time, going beyond what she needed in blood, but it was needed for Maki's sake. She only hoped that Maki could ingest what she was about to give for her own stomach's sake. Once Karin felt she had taken enough, (and because she took in as much as she could,) she then bit her own hand, and stuffed it into Maki's mouth, who then began to drink with relish. All Karin could say, (and she said it as consolingly as she could,) “You wanted to know what it was about the taste in blood for me, and now you know.”
The process was the same with the other two. Karin then pulled away and walked over to Kenta, who noticed that she had not closed the holes in her hand. She, with a blank expression, she presented her hand to Kenta, and said, “Drink, beloved, because Maki could not take it all in, and you need to strengthen yourself after this.”
Kenta, now realizing what had happened, sadly partook, knowing his fiancée needed it, and he did need to restrengthen. Karin had long before informed Kenta what was so special about blood and physical relationships for the vampire, and they had been able to experiences tastes of this better since Karin was saved from her position as a fountain of psyche. However, this was no time to ponder on the pleasure they were both feeling, in that, they both felt awkwardly wrong in feeling the way they were feeling at that moment. Karin looked at Ruby, and she said, “Is your blood up enough to do all three?”
The sadness was great enough to cause a huge surge, and she said blankly, “Yes,” knowing what was needed to be done. Ryuu came out to see the sad group, and he was angry at how it all turned out. He knew that his “mother” was the only one who could have, or would have, done this, and he was angry that he did not foresee her taking this kind of action. What was worse was figuring out how to prepare all three for the shock of what had happened. Kenta had finished partaking, and handed Karin the phone. She called the house and asked for Elda. When she came on, Karin said, blankly, “Grandmamma, you need to come to Victor's as soon as you can.”
One could say that the only good that came out of it was that another foe was defeated, yet, could you truly call it a victory?
 
Jean-Claude, Yuriya, and Anjou were partway home, oblivious to the disaster that had struck. Yet, someone was disappointed at that she was not allowed to share in any of this. Thus, as they walked, Teresa showed up. Yuriya was terrified, but her husband was indignant. “You know, for supposedly superior beings, you demons sure are stupid!” Jean-Claude said, indignant as ever, “Didn't you learn your lesson from the last time?”
Teresa smiled, and yet maintained her evil eyes, saying, “It's only because of who you are I do not act…against you!”
Jean-Claude did not like what that implied. Teresa continued—without the smile—and said, “It's good that those four are with you!”
Anjou, who had never met this woman, and knew nothing of this woman's background, gave her the stare that she always gave when confronted in this way. Teresa smiled at her, and said, “My daughter, that look will get you nowhere. Why are you so cruel to your mother?”
Anjou's eyes widened and her nostrils flared, but Teresa said, “Now, really, young lady; you cannot think you can do anything to me.”
Jean-Claude stood in front of Anjou, and said, “Don't even think about it, reprobate!”
“Reprobate?” said Teresa, “You should be careful who you point that finger at, because there are three more that point back at you.”
Jean-Claude was becoming fed up, and began to say, “In the name of…”
Yet, Teresa snapped, and said, “Don't even invoke that name! I came to make a statement. I would hate to see you blink once on your precious children.”
As Jean-Claude took more of a defensive stance before them, Teresa paid it no mind, as she said, “You are all abominations and mistakes. Had you not fled to the cross, you would have been destroyed long ago!”
“That makes me gladder that I did!” snapped Jean-Claude, “GET TO YOUR POINT!”
“You may claim to be His child,” she said with a sneer, “but your friends do not—not as faithfully as you, anyway. You are also not omnipresent!”
“If you even…” but he was cut off, and she said, “You'll soon hear what happened tonight! Oh, and tell my dear son that he'd better watch his back, because, behind your two freak children, he's on the top of my hit list!”
Then something interesting happened. Mickey and Shelia saw what was happening, and their brows furrowed as they stuck out their lower lips. Mickey then said, “Bad woman weave daddy awone!”
He extended a hand and a fireball came out! If this had been a standard vampire attack, it would have had absolutely no effect on Teresa. However, this was not your average attack! Theresa screamed in pain. The flame consumed nothing on her or of her, but it hurt as if it had. She screamed, “Demon spawn!” and she vanished, as Jean-Claude said, “Speak for yourself.”
Yuriya and Anjou stood there stunned, not sure what to make of what just happened. Mickey was equally as stunned, not certain over what he had just done. He now had that look on his face as if he had done a no-no, sucking on his forefinger. Jean-Claude came up to his son as he said, “Sowwy, Daddy.”
He just grabbed his son and hugged him, saying, “You're a good boy! You are a very, very good boy!”
This was the first indication that his children were indeed something that Teresa should fear. At that moment, Chiyuki, Yukkiko, Karin, and Kenta walked up, with Yukkiko holding Maki in her arms. All that was said was, “Let's go home: we have to talk!”
 
Back at Victor's house, Ryuu and Elda went about sun proofing the house. Yes, it was true that both had reformed their ways, and befriended vampires, yet, they had no desire to become vampires. Elda was not certain how they would react to this, but this had to be done right. Had there been any other options, those would have been done to these three without a thought. However, this was the only way to save then, and that had to be made clear. Yet, Elda's worst fear was that Victor would reject her forever. This, she could not stand. If that were the case, she was going to lie in her coffin and never come out again. Still, two things worked to her benefit. One, because of what Ruby had done, instead of being locked in a body of old age, his youthful appearance returned to him, due to the Fount. It was as if it were Alfred had come back to her. The second thing was that this love would not be taken from her…IF he would still have her. Soon, both men began to come to, and they both groaned. Then they both sat straight up, starting to check themselves all over for injuries. When they found none, they both went up to their mouths. The reason for this was the both of them had what they assumed to be dreams. For Wiener, he saw Maki talking to him, while Victor saw Elda. In either case, both apparitions were, in reality, Sophia. She was telling them that they both should be dead, and actions had been taken to preserve their lives. They were both told that they were made vampires, but not to worry. While Ruby Innocent's blood was still within them, Sophia would be there to help. She also told them not to fear, because they that loved them would guide them, and they now all could be together forever. When they awoke, they thought it all a dream. They then remembered what had happened to them. Then they felt the fangs! Wiener freaked!
 
“What is this? Fangs growing, blood desiring, sight different, filled with confusion, anxiety!” he stammered out in his characteristic way. However, Victor sat there stunned, staring at the floor as Elda and Ryuu started at him. Elda choked out, “Darling…I…,” but Victor raised his hand. He raised his gaze to her, and he said, “Just tell me one thing: was this truly the only way?”
Hot tears began to flow from Elda as she ran up to embrace him, saying, “I'm sorry, my darling, I'm so sorry!”
He kissed her forehead, and separated form her. He did indeed see himself as young, which was a plus, but that seemed irrelevant to what he was feeling at that point. While Wiener was turning into a gelatinous mass of anxiety on the couch, Victor was stoic, trying to see if he could maturely come to grips with the hand fate had now dealt. That this had happened could not be denied, nor was there anything that could be done to change it. What was done was done. The question was, could he come to grips with it. Elda watched intently as Victor paced. Finally, Victor stopped, and with typical German efficiency and stoicism, he then spoke, “Elda, I have seen and faced some of the most vicious creatures this world has had to offer, and defeated them all. With each victory, courage increased, and now, nothing truly frightens me anymore. I suppose I just need to face this like any other challenge, and accept it as an unpleasant fact—nothing can be done! Tomorrow is another day, and I supposed that I should be thankful for another opportunity to see another day.”
However, he stopped, and then his voice began to quiver a bit. He was trying to be brave, but it just did not seem to be there. “Yes, I need…to treat this like…a new adventure…yet, now…now…”
Finally, his voice trailed off, and his hand came to his face. He began to quiver and then cry like a baby as he dropped to his knees. He bawled, “Oh Elda, Elda, I am so scared! I've never been so frightened in my life! Help me! There is so much that is making me feel as if I am reaping all the wrong I have sown. Now they are all gaining repayment for my error. Be with me, Elda, I can't face it alone. I am a coward!”
Elda hugged him tight, rocking him back and forth, saying, “You are no coward! You are strong! Be strong for me now! I will be with you.”
 
While that was going on, Ryuu walked over to the couch upon which Wiener sat, and dumped him off it. “All right you,” Ryuu barked, “It's time to getup and act like a man, you crybaby!”
“But I've been cursed, marked, forced to wander the earth forever!” wimbled Wiener.
“Join the club!” snapped Ryuu, as he showed the mark on his forehead.
“What do I do now?” said Wiener, “My life is over!”
Ryuu raised an eyebrow, and said, “You're wrong! Your life has just begun! Oh, and by the way: you're not alone!”
Wiener suddenly remembered what had happened before he pounced on the undead. He remembered what happened to Maki, and he then derived a conclusion. “Oh God! Not Maki; please tell me this didn't happen to Maki!” he cried.
“It was that or you both died,” reasoned Ryuu, “Would you have preferred death?”
“Right now, I don't know!” said Wiener.
Ryuu sighed, and said, coldly, “Well, while you play in your pity party, and dine on ashes, there is a girl out there that loves you greatly, and she is suffering worse. See seeks to lose much more than you do. She is going to need a strong shoulder. Are you going to be that for her? Think about it!”
Ryuu left him with his thoughts as he went to see how things went with Elda.
 
Back on the hilltop, Maki was laid on Karin's bed. Jean-Claude felt that it would be best to let Karin, Chiyuki, and Yukkiko handle things. While Maki slept, she saw, not Wiener, but Karin. “Karin,” said Maki, “Why am I seeing out of your eyes?”
“Why am I seeking out of yours, Maki?” Sophia asked in return.
“What is happening?” Maki then asked, “Is this a dream?”
“Almost,” answered Sophia, “It is that state right on the cusp of asleep and awake. Ruby gave you an infusion, and that's why you see me!”
“An infusion?” asked Maki, “Why did she do that?”
“Apparently, you are not recalling what happened before you lost consciousness,” reasoned Sophia.
Maki thought for a moment, and then said, “Wait, was it because of the attack? Was it to heal me?”
Sophia shook her head, and said, “Things went beyond merely healing you.”
“You don't mean…,” said Maki, who was then jolted awaked by the comment. She pushed herself up and began to look around. The room was dark, yet she could see as if it were a well-lit room. She set up and ran her tongue over her teeth. Her eyes went wide as she realized what might have happened. “I'm sorry, Maki, Ryuu said…”
“Karin, what did you do to me?” demanded Maki, “WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME!”
“Maki, you were dying, Ryuu thought…,” said Karin, but Maki was now slipping out of reason and bolted at Karin. Quickly, Yukkiko and Chiyuki restrained her as Maki screamed, “Why! I thought you were my friend!”
Maki was flailing around spouting words that hit like hard slaps. Chiyuki did only that what she knew she could, and slapped Maki hard, following up with, “Would you prefer she had left you for dead?”
Maki looked at Chiyuki is shock, as Chiyuki said, “What we have to tell you is going to make it worse, so you'd better learn to deal with it! Your life, as you know it, may very well be over!”
Maki stopped struggling, and started to pay attention. Chiyuki then said, “There is no way you can run the bookstore now, and it may be that you may never see your family either. How would we explain this to your mother? We may have to wipe everyone's memories of you, or fake your death. It was this, or truly report your death!”
Maki then slumped, and they then helped her to the bed. So many emotions were wafting through her mind at that moment she could no longer emote. Karin began to get up to leave, but Maki said, “No, please stay?”
Karin sat down next to her, and she said, “I'll stay here as long as you want. I would never leave you alone, and now I never will.”
She knew it might well be a few days before Maki could face things, and she asked if her needs could be met for her while Maki had time to think. Maki had some tough decisions to make, and she needed someone there, even if it were just someone lying by her side. For now, the best thing Karin could do was lay Maki down, and lie beside her, holding her tight, crying for her Maki if she could no longer cry for herself.
 
 
 
3