Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
 
Jean-Claude wasted no time in getting to Victor's house. Elda and Victor had had an interesting evening, and they both sat on the couch, having that look in their eyes. They touched hands, their eyes met, and they inched closer, preparing to have their lips meet. All of a sudden there came a pounding on the door that had the effect of pouring cold water on the top of the both of them. Elda was furious for the interruption, and she went to the door to tell off whoever it was. She looked out, saw it was Jean-Claude, she was about to fuss, and then Jean-Claude picked her up and walked her to the living room, saying, “No time for that, Elda, there's trouble afoot!”
She had the bee sting look on her face after being so quickly moved and then set down as if she were a lamp. Victor could not understand what was going on. “Was ist los?” he demanded.
Wir haben eine grosse problem!” said Jean-Claude, as he displayed the medallions. Victor looked them over, and his eyes went wide. “Was machst-du das?” asked Jean-Claude.
Elda came over, and said, “Looks like a couple of Catholic medallions.”
Victor started to shake his head, and said in Japanese for the benefit of Elda, “It's the same concept, except it marks the owner with something. Believe me, these are two medallions that the Church would not acknowledge.”
“Then, what are they?” demanded Jean-Claude.
“They represent something that my family was once involved with, but left when they were put on the Index,” answered Victor.
Elda now looked frightened, and said, “You don't mean…”
“Very much so,” said Victor, who turned his attention to Jean-Claude, and said, “This design is something you need to memorize.”
He handed back the medallion, and it showed what looked like an angel with a flaming sword against the rising sun. “Son, that marks someone as a member of the Inquisition.”
Now Jean-Claude stiffened. “I thought they were gone!” he said, surprised.
“They are underground, but active,” said Victor, “They are not all that big, but they are still formidable. It's just that…well…they have not been heard from for decades. My family separated from them when it seemed that their methods and motivations were not so righteous. I am not sure how many there are, but they are never that many. However, they are as I and my family was—highly skilled vampire hunters. They know well the quirks and abilities of the vampire, they always go into action keeping that in mind, and are able to compensate for human shortcomings. They may be human, but it is hard to kill something that knows for the most part how you think, and how you are going to react. They normally do not go after groups of vampires. However, whatever the case, they normally isolate one or two with about three or four humans. They rarely go after anyone one on one unless they think they can win.”
“Well, they are down two members,” said Jean-Claude, “You'll hear about it in the news. You'll hear about two men who dropped dead of a heart attack in two different locations of the city. That was actually Hondo and me. However, what are they doing here?”
“They are headquartered somewhere in France,” said Victor, “They sure came a long way.”
“That's quite a long way to make a mistake,” said Jean-Claude, “Yet, it sounds to me like they would be more of a nuisance than anything else.”
“Normally they are,” said Victor, “because, if they ever wanted to eliminate the vampire, there is no way they could succeed. However, if they are able to make small goals, they feel they can achieve what they want, though it may take centuries.”
“No!” exclaimed Elda, “They've come to finish us! They've come to kill us all!”
She started to curl into Victor's chest, and this was the first time he could ever remember Elda looking this afraid since she first met Chiyuki. In fact, it was worse. Then Elda looked up with angry eyes, and said, “It's you, half-breed! You're the ones that brought them onto us!”
She looked at Victor, and said, “James, we must hurry and get the family out of here.”
It was a clear case of shell shock, and Victor had to console her, and roll with it, “Love, the family is safe! They are not coming. This young man took care of it!”
“This half-breed?” she questioned, “What can he do about it?”
“Don't worry, son,” said Victor, “She'll come out of it.”
“What are they after?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Was it just you and Hondo?” Victor asked in return.
“No,” said Jean-Claude, “Ruby was with us.”
Victor thought for a moment, and then he said, “They are well familiar with things vampire, and they may well have been after Ruby.”
“What do they hope to accomplish?” asked Jean-Claude.
“They hope that, buy killing her,” answered Victor, “They can put an end to the vampire. With no fount, there is no fertilization, and all the vampires eventually die.”
“I cannot understand why they would only send two, then,” said Jean-Claude, “Would they not have anticipated that she would be well protected?”
“It may have been a probing mission,” said Victor, “There is no telling. However, you need to show these to Henry, and tell him what happened, it may be something bigger.”
“Henry!” said Elda, “We must save my son!”
“Elda, snap out of it,” said Victor, “It's the 21st century, and no one is coming for us. It's okay.”
He started to cuddle and rock her, and he said, “You'd better get going, son. We have no telling what is up.”
Jean-Claude took his time to say good-bye, and rushed to the hill.
 
Hondo was walking her home, but romance was the furthest thing from her mind. As far as he was concerned, the shogun gave his orders, and they were to be followed. Ruby was grateful that he wasn't trying to make any passes at her, but she was also a bit annoyed about how vigil he was being. “Honestly, do you have to act so paranoid?”
Hondo was becoming frustrated now, and said, “Is there anything that I do that does not annoy you?”
“I just don't like this situation,” she said.
“Would it make you happy if I died?” he said with a bit of annoyance in his voice.
“It might help,” she said, but a bit playfully. She was then shocked at how she reacted to his question. Why did she just become playful all of a sudden? She shook it off, and said, “Look, we're almost home, so just get me there, and go home, okay?”
Yet, just one block from her flat, two men jumped out, and tried to grab Ruby. For the one that grabbed her, it was the last mistake he would ever make. Before he could bring the knife to her throat, he had his neck broken. The other man thrust a knife at her, but Hondo then intercepted the hand, grabbed the wrist, pulled and pivoted, and then bent upwards as he dropped to his buttocks hard. There were multiple snapping sounds as the man's face hit the ground hard. His scream brought the attention of everyone around, and before long, the police arrived. They briefly cuffed Hondo just as a precaution, but they soon released them after Ruby gave her statement. “Son,” said the officer, “because this was a foreigner, there may not be much in the way of repercussions. The French embassy may say something, but they cannot say much, considering what they tried to do. However, you may still have to testify. I would clearly call it justifiable homicide, but there may still be some formalities to deal with, so keep in contact. It may depend on what we get out of his friend her. That was quite a move that you used—you broke his nose, wrist, elbow, and dislocated his shoulder.”
“I got desperate,” said Hondo, “I was in fear for our lives.”
“And that might be all that comes of it,” said the officer, “But like I said, keep in contact. Here is my card. Call in a couple of days, but don't leave town either.”
He then turned to Ruby and said, “You should be glad that this young man was here for you. You may not be alive right now.”
She just stayed quiet and nodded as Jacques and Sea Blue held her close. As they walked back to the flat, Jacques said, “Son, my family is ever grateful to you. It's humans like you that give us vampires some hope.”
Hondo bowed deeply at his compliment, said, “I am honored for your kind compliment.”
“Thus,” continued Jacques, “I now charge you with the safety of the Fount. Make sure no harm comes to her, now that I know that you can take care of her.”
Ruby's heart sank into her shorts. Now this boy was going to be around her nearly 24 hours, that is, if he kept his word. It made her cringe when he said, “Sir, I pledge my life for hers. If it comes to it, my life is forfeit to ensure she lives.”
He again bowed deeply, and she knew that these were not idle words. He meant every bit of it. She knew that, if a Japanese man acted like this, you could bank on his words to be true. He would not fail to fulfill on his words. She knew she should have felt flattered that any man would think like this, but she still felt that all that happened that night was no big deal, and she said, “Look, thank you, but it's not all that, okay?”
“Fear not,” he said, “I am perfectly capable of the task. No harm shall ever come to you.”
“That's some tough talk,” said Sea Blue, “Just how are you going to do it?”
Hondo took a chance and whispered something into her ear. She then looked at him in amazement, and said, “I never knew.”
“I don't tell many people,” he said, “There is no need for people to know all that. It would just be boasting, and then that would be asking for fights.”
“Why don't you tell her?” asked Sea Blue, trying to drop a hint.
“When she needs to know, she will,” he said.
“Okay,” she said, “You had a chance.”
Hondo then asked what her schedule was, and then said that he would be there to escort her that day. When she even tried to make a hint of protest, her father squelched it, and she sighed. Hondo bowed and took his leave. However, Ruby said to her father once out of Hondo's hearing, “Daddy, people will think we're dating!”
“Why would that be so bad?” he asked her.
She just grumbled as Jacques and Sea Blue laughed.
 
At the house, Jean-Claude came in to the house and was able to find Henry and Calera. He was not in the mood to chat, but was more in the mindset of tending to business. “Henry, we may have a huge problem,” he said.
“What's wrong, son?” he asked, and then Jean-Claude threw the medallions on the table. “What's this all about?”
“As strange as this may seem,” said Jean-Claude, “the Inquisition may be raising their heads.”
They both stared at him after looking at the medallions. Jean-Claude then said, “Hondo and I had to kill two of them tonight. We covered our tracks well, but the fact that it happened is bad enough. It's worse when one considers that Ruby may have been their target.”
“Son, this is irregular, but we can't jump to…,” said Henry, but that was all he got out when Yuriya entered the room, and said, “Honey, Hondo just called. He said that two European men who had knives jumped him and Ruby. They tried to slit her throat, but he broke his neck. He then put the other in the hospital.”
Now things got very serious. “Two attacks in one night: what in the name of common sense is going on?” said Jean-Claude, who was worried how big this thing was getting. “Okay, son,” said Henry, “Now this is getting serious. I'll call the council tomorrow night, and let them know what is…” but the house phone ringing cut him off. Jean-Claude was closer to the phone, so he picked it up. “Marker residence,” he said, but he was surprised by the sound of sobbing from the other side. “It's Maki,” she said.
“Hey, this is a surprise,” he said, and then heard the sobbing, “What's wrong?”
He stood there like a statue as he listened. They all did not like the vibes as they watched the blood leave his face. He began to shiver, and his voice broke up as he said to Henry, “You need to take this.”
Pure rage was beginning to creep onto his face, and Yuriya knew that look well. She watched as he went out the back. She wanted to ask what was wrong, but at the same time, she also knew it was better to back off and let him vent. Henry started to grow enraged himself, and he knew now what was going on. Through his rage, he said to Maki, “You three need to get back here as soon as you can. You are not safe there now. Hurry home!”
He hung up, and then announced, “The kids were attacked, and Francois was murdered right before their eyes. The assailants are all dead, and the police have been investigating what happened. They won't be able to trace it to them, but they are coming home.”
There was dead silence in the room for about five minutes as they heard Jean-Claude in the woods, smashing rocks, uprooting trees, and smashing them into others, screaming and yelling the whole time. He never felt more helpless than he did at that moment. Someone had harmed his Corn Muffin, and there was nothing that he could do about it. Karin and Kenta heard the commotion, and she came to the mansion to find out what was going on. The kids were in tow and Mickey asked, “Mom, who ticked off dad?”
She saw her children, and snatched them to her, hugging them tight. Calera said, “Kannon, grandmamma has to go downtown to pick up something. Would you like to come?”
Kannon may have only been four years old, but she could tell something was not quite right. “Wath wrong, grandmamma?”
“It's okay, baby,” she said, “But grandmamma needs your help. Could you come with me?”
She did, but that did not stop her from pondering what was going on. Since the twins were mature enough, he figured that they could know. He then proceeded to fill them in on the news.
 
The three were able to get a flight that next night, and to make sure they timed it right; they took a chance to go out just as the sun had dropped below the horizon. They wore heavy clothes to protect themselves, but despite that, they all were rather tan by the time they got to the airport. Maki and Wiener felt a bit of anxiety, but Anjou could not have cared less. Like any widow, she herself wanted to die, because it felt like a part of her had been ripped out and destroyed. It was worse when it happened as it did. The other two did not even try to console her any more than just staying close to her. It had just happened, and now they had to flee like three fugitives. Anjou barely said anything since that night, and they wondered if she had just lost the energy to cry anymore. At Tokyo international airport, all those living on the hill, including Fumio were waiting for them to come. Ren and Chiyuki had shown up not twenty minutes before when they heard the news. The plane pulled up, and the arm connected to the plane as they all waited with saddened anticipation. Once people began to deplane, Maki and Wiener were the first two out. Dressed in such a fashion as to conceal her face somewhat came Anjou. Her normal black dress was now very poignant considering the situation. She looked up, saw Henry as she approached, stopped, and started to bawl. “DADDY!” she squealed, and dove into his arms, burying her head into his chest. She had held it in from the night before, and now she was letting it all out. Calera joined in, and soon, all the Markers were in a group embrace, including Jean-Claude, giving all the love and support that they could. “Do you have her blood at the house,” asked Maki, “She hasn't fed.”
“We have it,” said Henry, “Let's go home.
 
At the house, Anjou went to her old room, and all her dolls were still there. When she had awakened, all the spirits that once dwelt in them had left. She could still channel and consult, but she did not have the company now. She had long since stopped carrying her dolls as she had matured, but she had kept them for sentimental reasons. However, now they were one of the most welcoming sights she had seen in a while. It was when she saw Boogie-kun sitting on the bed, against the pillows where she had left him that she began to cry again. She snatched him up as she lay on the bed, and held him tight. She wished he could still talk to her now, but just having him there was enough for her. Instead of saying anything, they just let her have her space. She was the one most impacted, and she had to mourn in her own way. They wanted to tell her to feed, but they just decided to wait until she had cried herself out. Kannon wanted to cry, but she did not know for what reason. She looked at her parents, and said, “Why ith Anutie-than tho thad?”
Karin and Kenta looked at each other, and they did not know what to say. How do you tell a four year old that her uncle was dead, and that he was never coming back? Karin picked her up and set her on her lap, holding her close as she set her head on Kannon's, and said, “Honey, what I need to tell you is going to make you sad, but you have to know.”
Kannon began to tear up in fear of what she was about to hear. “Baby,” said Karin, trying to be careful, “You know how Daddy and I love each other very, very much?”
“Uh-huh,” she answered.
“If Daddy was to go somewhere and never, ever come back again,” said Karin, “Would that make you cry?”
Kannon began to sob and say, “Yeth, I would cry and cry,”
“Mommy would too, honey,” she said.
“Did thomeone Antuie-than love go away?” she asked.
“Baby, there was someone that she loved, and we all loved that went away,” said Karin, “Honey…Uncle Francois…Uncle Francois has died.”
“Died?” asked Kannon, “What'th that?”
Now Karin was stroking her hair, and she had to tell her as gently as she could. She said, “That means he has gone into a sleep where he will never, ever wake up again. He has gone to someplace we can't go, and he is not going to come back.”
“We can't ever vithit him?” she asked, “He won't ever come back?”
“Yes, baby doll,” said Karin, “That's right.”
She was now openly sobbing, and said, “But why, momma, why?”
“It's something that happens, honey,” said Karin, “and we can't do anything about it. This is why auntie is so sad. She wants to see him again, and she knows she never will again.”
“But it'th not fair!” protested Kannon, “I love him!”
Karin was now crying, and even Kenta was tearing up, as Karin said, “I love him too, baby doll, we all did. We all want to see him again, and it hurts us too.”
Kannon looked up and said, “It doth? Will it ever go away?”
“In time,” said Karin, “In time. Right now, we have to be strong for Anjou, because she is so sad, she won't eat, she doesn't want to talk, and she doesn't want to come out of her room.”
Kannon was sad still, knowing that Uncle-san was gone for good, but she loved her Auntie-san as well, and she did not want to see her sad. Thus, in her childlike logic, she said, “I know,” and hopped off Karin's lap and said, “I'll be right back, mommy.”
Karin and Kenta looked at each other oddly, not knowing what this genius of a child had concocted. Within two minutes, she came back, and rushed upstairs. Karin had an idea where she was headed, and did not see what she was carrying. However, she wanted her sister to have her space, but there was no catching her. She only hoped now to play damage control. Kannon opened the door as bold as you please and walked up to the bed. “Auntie-than,” said Kannon, “I have thomething for you.”
Anjou really did not want to be bothered, but this was her youngest niece, and she knew she could not be cruel to her. She then rolled over with a tear-stained face with a curious look on it, and rolled over to see Kannon standing there, holding out a teddy bear, with a pouty look on her face. She bit her lip, and then said, “When I'm sthkared or thad, he maketh me happy,” said Kannon, “You can borrow him, if you want.”
Tears flowed anew, but this time, with somewhat of a smile, and she said, “Get up here, you little monkey.”
Kannon climbed up on the bed, and the two cuddled up with their respective plush pals between them. Karin stood in the dark watching as she leaned on the other side of the doorjamb, smiling broadly. She knew that her child was going to be special, but this took the cake. She just stood there and watched Kannon's magic.
 
Everyone else was sitting in the living room, talking about things, in order to, if anything, try to put some sense into the senseless. Mickey and Shelia were both sad as well, but they were both mature beyond their years, and they were showing the strength that their parents always admired. “Dad,” said Shelia, “Why are people so stupid sometimes!”
“People just don't make sense sometimes,” said Mickey.
“Kids,” said Jean-Claude, “you two are going to find over the centuries that much does not make sense in this world. Nevertheless, let me tell you, God has blessed you two kids with great abilities to try to make some sense in this crazy world. Always remember to respect and love people. Remember this day clearly, kids, and always take the opportunity to try to stop things like this. Let this loss be etched into your heads to drive you to do what you can to make sure others don't have to face this. You know how I tell you two to turn things like this into something else?”
“Uh-huh,” they both said.
“Well, I know what Aunt Anjou is going through,” Jean-Claude said, “You remember what I told you about my mother and father, right?”
They both nodded again, and Jean-Claude then said, “The thing we cannot do is let rage overtake us. Yes, I was really angry last night, but instead of hurting someone, I did what I could to get it out of my system to where no one would get hurt. Once I got it out of my system, I could think clearly. The worst thing we can do is let our emotions overtake us, because we are not thinking right when that happens. We end up going out and making bad decisions, making a bad thing worse. Because I had people teach me to turn it into something else, I learned how to handle it constructively, and justice was done in the right way. Now, your aunt has been badly wronged, and I know it makes us all angry. What we need to do is be sure that what we do is just, even if they were not. We have to take our time, find out who was behind this, hit it at its source, and that way, we can put a just end to it, so that, not only are we avenged, but no one ever has to worry that again. When we do strike against the right things, we have to be swift, just, but show no mercy in this case. For us now, we must give closure to your aunt—we just have to do it right.”
He thought for a moment, and then said, “You know something, we can turn this into something for you two. This will be the first Clan action in which you two can be involved. I know you two want to help her, and helping me to do that will do just that. Once we get some leads on things, I'll fill you in, and see where you two can help. Believe me; your sadness will turn to satisfaction when you know that what you did brought peace to another.”
 
As this was going on, the phone rang, and Henry picked it up. “Moshi, Moshi,” he said, and on the other side he heard, “Hey, Henry, how you hittin' `em?”
“What do you want, Glark?” said Henry, a bit frustrated that he would call at this kind of time.
“Henry,” said Glark, “That was over eight years ago. Are you still holding a grudge? How many times does a guy have to apologize?”
“Say your peace, Glark,” said Henry, not really in the mood.
Glark sighed, and said, “Look, this is business. The council told me to call you, and they told me to tell you that you, the dhampirs, and their children need to leave for here as soon as it is dark for an emergency meeting. After what you told us about Anjou, this takes on more weight. Also, know that what you hear here shall not pass beyond these walls for the safety of all that we will state is involved. It has to do with the actions that need to be taken for the safety of, not just Ruby, but for the sake of the future of all vampires. Jacques is going to be there as well. It is that important. We'll make all this clear when you get here.”
Henry understood, and said, “See you then. Is it at the Brownlicks?”
“Yes, of course,” said Glark.
Henry cringed, and said, “Why would I deal with them?”
“Look, Henry,” said Glark, “What they are proposing is partially to try to make up for their foolish behavior, and for their ignorance that could have hurt more than just your family. Give them a chance, because they do want to make it right, and this is the chance to do that.”
Henry paused, and then said, “Alright, I'll hear them out, but no funny stuff!”
Glark hung up, and Henry then wondered just how severe things had gotten when the Brownlicks now wanted to help out, and try to fix their snobbery that almost killed his daughter, and cause it to be that very few outside the Brownlicks would have benefited from the fount.
 
 
 
6