Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
They were able to leave the house just as the last licks of orange were settling below the horizon. On the train was Henry, Jean-Claude, Yuriya, and the twins, who were able to meet up with Jacques rather quickly. The sting of the tragedy had not yet gone away, but apparently, to the council, there was no time to stew on that. There was not much in the way of conversation, and they pretty much kept to themselves. Jean-Claude had his Bible out, the twins were playing chess, and Yuriya looked out the window, while Henry and Jacques had a sparse conversation, mostly dealing with how Jacques had charged Hondo with Ruby's care. Soon, the game of chess became old, and the twins joined their mother watching the scenery go by. Finally, Mickey asked, “Why do you think the meeting was called so suddenly?”
“I don't know if they are overreacting,” said Jean-Claude, “But considering how old fashioned the Brownlicks are, it would not surprise me to hear them say that an all out war was about to begin. Normally, I'd worry about your mother and me, but I don't think they would be that stupid with you two in the mix.”
“I don't know, baby,” said Yuriya, “The last time I was there was not exactly pleasant.”
“They know better than to try anything with me around,” said Jean-Claude, “They know what I can do.”
“No one's going to touch you,” said Shelia, “Brother and I will make sure of that.”
“Kids,” said Henry, “I don't think things are that severe.”
“Talking like this won't help,” said Jacques, “All it will do is cause us to worry. I am sure we can find something else to talk about.”
They sat quiet again, wanting to say anything to take their minds off things, but no one knew what to say.
 
Finally, the train arrived at the depot, and the group debarked to meet Glark waiting for them. “Uncle!” cried Yuriya, “It's been too long!”
She ran up and embraced him, as the two were genuinely pleased to see one another. However, Henry and Jean-Claude were more than a little less enthused to see him. “Good to see you Henry,” Glark tried to say in a friendly way. Henry nodded. He then turned to Jean-Claude, and said, “You know, I think this is the first time we have actually met. I mean, I saw you at a couple of councils, but I don't think we've ever spoken.”
Jean-Claude came up, put his arm around Yuriya, and said, “Do you think there might be a reason?”
Glark got a smirk, and said, “Perhaps there is. I'm glad to see my niece doing well.”
“How else would she be doing?” asked Jean-Claude, agitation clearly building in him.
“Whoa, Gargantua,” said Glark, “I'm not here for that, and I don't think that is what your kids want to see.”
Yuriya was becoming angry herself, for a different reason. She got in front of Jean-Claude, and said, “Baby, I don't care what you think of him, he is my uncle, and he has taken great care of me for years. He is family, and I love him. Outside of you, he's really all I have. Besides, you started it! You could try to be cordial.”
Jean-Claude breathed a heavy sigh, stuck out his hand, and said, “It is good to meet you at last.”
Glark took his hand, and then decided to put the message across that he was no one with which to mess, and be began to squeeze. However, Jean-Claude was more than equal to the task, and squeezed back. They both stood grinning as they continued their prolonged handshake. Then Jean-Claude began to outdo Glark just a bit, and he then saw the slightest bit of strain on his face, and felt the relaxing of Glark's hand. As soon as that happened, Jean-Claude let go. “Let's go,” said Glark, and turned to go out, facing away from them. Yuriya said, “What was that all about?”
Jean-Claude shrugged, and said, “We shook hands.”
They did not see Glark trying to shake off the pain. Glark did not know if the rumors about the dhamphir were true, considering that they normally do not have that much power, but he found out the hard way at that point. As they walked, Shelia leaned over to Mickey, and whispered, “Boy, I haven't seen dad this bad since the time you put your red baseball cap into dad's underwear before the wash cycle!”
“Hey, I didn't know the whites were in there,” protested Mickey.
She turned away and put her nose in the air as she said, “You could have looked first!”
“Oh yeah,” said Mickey, “Maybe I should tell dad how that Twinkie got into the hole of his bowling ball.”
“You wouldn't!” said Shelia.
“No time for your bickering, kids,” said Jean-Claude in such a fashion that said for them to quiet down…or else!
 
They rode in limos to a tall hill that was more like a small mountain. The people around always commented how the hilltop was always covered with clouds, but what they did not know was that a large castle, concealed by vampire wards, sat atop that hill. When they arrived, it was clear to everyone there that the Markers were not in the mood for small talk. Many on the council knew Jean-Claude, and knew that he was no slouch. They were not sure if Henry would have bad memories dredged up, and then ask Jean-Claude to clean house. Many of the council were Brownlicks, and they knew that the Markers had every right to exact justice. Once the chairman saw them, he said, “Alright, everyone please be seated.”
They twins were going to stand along the wall, but they were surprised to see two seats set for them, and right next to the table head. “Oh great ones,” said the chairman, “We thank you for gracing us with your presence.”
Mickey and Shelia were both surprised by this treatment, and they were not sure why they were acting as if the two of them were royalty. They certainly were not treated like that at home, and definitely not at school. They looked over to their father, and he took a piece of paper and wrote, “I'll tell you later,” in Gaelic, just so that no one on the council could tell of what they spoke. The chairman gaveled, and said, “We will bring this meeting to order. There will be no old business to tend to tonight, as we are now discussing the current crisis, and the actions that we must take. First, I wish to extend my condolences to the Markers for their recent loss. Francois was a dear friend to the council, and his loss will be felt. Now, to the problem at hand: we must asses to what extent this group wishes to go. Since Jean-Claude Makka was the first to encounter this, then the chair recognizes General Makka, (referring to his status as the head of the Clan.)”
“Thank you, Mr. Chairman,” said Jean-Claude, “To get down to business, we are facing the threat of the Inquisition.”
There was muttering back and forth at the mention of the Inquisition, and Jean-Claude said, “To help put you at ease, I do not think that their operation is all that big.”
“If I may be permitted to add to that,” said one of the Brownlicks on the council, “The chair recognizes Peter Brownlick.”
“Thank you,” he said, “Indeed, they are not all that big anymore, and they are not that great a threat. However, even though they are small in number, it does not mean that their reach is as small. I would ask of General Makka what he did face that night.”
Jean-Claude then went on to describe what happened, and Peter then asked, “By the sounds of it, I think that it is clear who the target is.”
“If you refer to the Fount of Psyche, I agree,” said Jean-Claude.
The chair interjected, and said, “I can say that the Inquisition knows enough about things like this to know what she can represent.”
“If that is the case,” said Jean-Claude, “then anyone involved with the dream is threatened.”
“Agreed,” said the chairman, as he looked at the twins, “This is why we need to let you know what we have planned.”
“What is that?” asked Jean-Claude.
“We want to put certain ones of you somewhere they cannot find you until we can find a way to take care of the problem,” said the chairman, “You see, the attack against the four in Paris was more than an opportunistic attack, considering the number. The only thing we can conclude was the Anjou was the main target, and that they would have taken her alive, and used her as something to get what they wanted. She is close to both Psyches, and she would have been good for blackmail. It's good that you got them out of Paris, because the Inquisition is based there. However, we only wanted to tell you what we have planed, because the fewer of those involved that know, the better.”
“What do you have in mind,” asked Henry.
“We are going to take the dhamphirs, the twins, Karin, Kenta, Kannon, Anjou, Maki, Wiener, Fumio, and Ruby, and we are going to put them someplace safe until we can act,” said the chairman.
Jean-Claude did not like the thought of uprooting, but considering how things were, there was no choice. “Where will be?” asked Jean-Claude.
“I'm glad you do not protest,” said the chairman, “Because that will make things easier. However only you are going to know where you are going.”
“Why?”
“That way, no one can get any information as how to follow you,” said the chairman, “Because of that, your wife and kids will be safely sedated until you get there, for their own safety, and the rest are going to have to be `kidnapped.'”
“Are you sure that is the best route?” asked Jean-Claude.
“Don't worry,” said the chairman, “They will be filled in once they get there, and maybe even during the trip somewhat.”
“Why all this precaution?” asked Yuriya.
“We will be moving you around to the point that, if anyone caught wind of what was going on,” said the chairman, “they would yet not be able to trace you, and where you will end up. Once you are there, it's not as if you could not find your way back, it's just that it would not be advised until everything is ready. We are not telling anyone, or letting them see the trip they take, so that no one could get the information out of them beforehand.”
Jean-Claude did not like the rigmarole of how it was to be done, but he did understand the reason why it was being done. He then asked, “Where will be staying?”
“Where you are going,” said the chairman, “we have family there, and you will be living there for the time. More shall be explained to you when you get there.”
Hearing that he was staying with the Brownlicks was not the most heartening news because of what they had before tried to pull. Jean-Claude simply asked, “Why should we want to stay with your family?”
The chairman got up, and looked at the twins. He hung his head for a moment, and then looked at Jean-Claude as he said, “It is because we have to make up for our stupidity somehow. I look at your twins. I hear what Psyche—Karin—gave birth to, and to what the present Psyche shall give birth. I now realize how foolish the family has been all these centuries. Our hope was supposed to have come all those years by better means, and our family has wasted it for all that time. Now, we have a better chance than ever before, and it is threatened. We want the chance to fix that. I do not assume that all parties involved would trust us right away, but with your family there, you could help them make the transition.”
He then went over to Henry, knelt before him, and said, “I beg the forgiveness of the Marker family for all the harm we have caused you throughout the centuries. It has always been your family to provide the fount, and we have always harmed you. I wish to break the chain and make it right. Whatever you do at this point, Henry, there shall be no retaliation taken.”
Henry stared at him for a good five minutes, not sure what to say or do. He then began to ponder what his father, James Marker, would have done. Somehow, he knew that James looked to the day of another fount arising, and James would have known what to do. If he had been in his place, James would have forgiven. In fact, James may have even encouraged Karin and Kenta's relationship, knowing how things should have been. This had to be the reason why he was so friendly to humans, because he knew that out of them would come one willing to breach the gap. He now regretted deeply that the family considered wiping Karin's mind clean of the knowledge of vampires, because James never would have tolerated it. He, more than likely, would have take in the Usuis in the same way that Henry took in Jean-Claude. It did end up that way, with a few more machinations, but it got there. Now, his antagonist was begging forgiveness for the mess his family had made, and he was willing to put his family on the line for the sake of all the vampires—quite a reversal from before. Henry stood, put his hand on the chairman's shoulder, and said, “On behalf of James Marker, I accept your apology. Do them well.”
Jean-Claude said, “Then I think it is settled. Just let me know when to prepare my family, and we will make sure the `abductions' are all facilitated with ease.”
“So, how can I help?” said Glark.
The chairman said, “Glark, if you are willing to make it right yourself, then you can use your connections to make sure the transfer goes smoothly.”
“Make it right?” said Glark.
“If you had not misinformed us about Karin,” said the chairman, “We could have had this resolved before we tried to abduct Karin. Yuriya righted her wrong, but you really have not.”
Yuriya shot a glance to her uncle, not an accusing one, but one that seemed to say, “Yes, and you know how you violated her, as if she were some toy or animal, and not a fellow vampire, so you need to make it right.”
For some reason, Jean-Claude understood that look, looked at Glark, and said, “You know, my wife told me something about what happened when you first took her. Even if you right everything else by aiding us, there is something that you can not really make right because, you can't give back what you took, and the one that really needs to extract the payment is not here.”
His children knew something about this, but they did not know all the details. All they knew was that Glark had done something bad to their aunt. This is why they were not surprised when their father was rising from his seat as he was saying his peace. He kissed his wife, and said to her, “Understand, this is only to balance the sheet dear, and it is nothing personal.”
He began to approach Glark, who rose from his seat, having an idea where this was going, but not so certain as to say clearly what was happening. The chairman was about to say something, but Shelia said, “Please, sir, this has to happen.”
Because of who said it, the chairman let it go. Glark broke the ice by saying, “So, you have something to say to me?”
“No, I don't,” answered Jean-Claude, “but I am going to speak for Karin who could not speak for herself then, and cannot speak now.”
“Sir, I'd think twice before you move,” said Glark, “because you are not as powerful as you claim. I mean, you cannot be. I know my niece, after all, and you're the same, aren't you?”
Without saying it, Glark showed some of his true colors and called him a weak half-breed. Righteous indignation filled Jean-Claude, and Glark knew that there was to be trouble. He started to vamp up and say, “Hey, half-breed: you don't stand…” and that was as much as he got out. Like a blur, Jean-Claude picked up Glark with his left hand and popping Glark with his right. Glark was shocked at the speed with which Jean-Claude acted. Yet, before he could even conceive to ask how this was happening, he was out like a light, flying over the council table, and into the wall next to it. Glark was indeed a powerful vampire, but he had no idea what he faced in Jean-Claude. He was no match for the “half-breed.” Jean-Claude said, “That was for Karin. Now it's been made right.”
He walked out to the balcony, and said to the chairman as he passed, “I'll meet you out here for the details.”
Yuriya wanted to be mad, but she had to admit that he had that coming, so she held her peace. A few dragged Glark away somewhere to come to, pondering just how stupid he was not believing what they had been telling him about the dhamphir. He was not there on the night Boris was defeated, so he had no idea. He had it now!
 
The schools could not understand why the Makka's were pulling their children out of the school, but the Makka's did not feel that they had to explain anything. They probably were not going to return the kids to the school anyway, and it was possible they would never return to Japan to live there—visit, yes, but not to live. They were going far away, and they had no idea how long it would take to resolve things. They spent the majority of the day packing all they could, and preparing to ship all they could to themselves to settle in there. The next trick was to get all involved at the Cavern for a special event. The Bats were reuniting for one night and one night only. Thanks to Kannon, Anjou was able to come out of her room and start to live a little. She did not really want to play, but Jean-Claude encouraged her, saying it might help shake the blues some. However, this was a ruse, in that, while they were enjoying the show, everyone else was in their respective residences packing their things, and preparing as much as could be done for shipping. Once the show was over, the plan was to split everyone up, and take them separately. At the house, Chiyuki was watching Kannon as a `favor' to Karin, and she took the opportunity to use her vast abilities to put her out, and set it so that she woke up at about the same time as Karin would, for they would be put together. Fumio then said, “Okay, I'm ready. I'm just not sure about a coffin.”
“It makes for a good cover when we ship the crate,” answered Chiyuki, “You'll be more secure, and you'll have a place to sleep while traveling. It's not the best, but it is for your safety.”
Chiyuki then took care of Fumio. Once that was done, she was laid in the coffin that set in the crate ready for movement. The twins, who knew what was going on, then laid in the coffins, and said to Chiyuki, “We're ready, Aunt Chiyuki.”
“You two are so brave,” she said, “I admire you two so much. You're not scared?”
“I'm frightened out of my wits!” said Shelia, “But daddy made it clear why, so, we're ready. I'm just glad we could put in the crates what we wanted for later.”
She kissed them both, and caressed their faces, which she also used as the touch to do the job. She then put the lids on the coffins, and waited.
 
Later, Anjou had managed to get Anjou alone, and said, “Thank you Corn Muff…I'm sorry…Anjou, for playing tonight.”
“Right now, Corn Muffin is fine,” she said, “You don't know how good that is to hear right now.”
He hugged her, and she said, “You're right, playing and getting out did help.”
“I know what you are feeling right now,” said Jean-Claude, “and the thing that my mentors taught me was that we have to live, and more so for the ones we loved than for ourselves, because I know that they would have wanted us to go on.”
“I just don't know what happens now,” she said, “What comes next?”
“Funny you should mention that,” said Jean-Claude, “Because one thing one can do is to go somewhere completely different, away from everything that would cause us to hold onto the past. Doing that makes it easier to move on, meditate, and get our lives going again. The truth is you are actually going to get that chance real soon.”
She smiled, and said, “You haven't bought me a vacation, a cruise, or something like that, have you?”
As she was saying that, she was distracted from the approach of her parents, who together did what Chiyuki had done, and she was put out. “Sorry, Corn Muffin,” said Jean-Claude, “You'll understand when you get there.”
 
Karin and Kenta were heading back to the house with Ren, and Karin said, “That actually felt good to get out again. It felt like we were on a date again!”
She snuggled close to Kenta, and Ren came from behind and put his hand on Kenta's shoulder. “You know, Kenta, when I first met you, I despised you,” said Ren, “Yet, after all these years, you have done nothing but show honor to my family, protected my sister, showed integrity that I was not sure a human could show to a vampire. You have proven me wrong repeatedly, and for that, I am thankful. I owe you much.”
Kenta stopped, and turned around, extending his hand to Ren, “Sir, that means quite a lot to me, and having you as a brother-in-law is repayment enough.”
“Oh, but it isn't,” said Ren, “Because, right now, more repayment is about to happen.”
He took Kenta's hand, and he collapsed. Karin rushed to Kenta, and screamed, “Ren what are you…” and that was all she got out. He put a hand on her head, and put her out. He then carried the both of them back.
 
Maki and Wiener went back to Victor's place, having to stay there for the time. Victor and Elda thought it sad that these two and Anjou would not be able to have more of their things sent to them, considering that it was all in Paris, and they could not risk going in and tip off the Inquisition. They only hoped that the Brownlicks would compensate them for their loss. Maki and Wiener came in, and were curious as to why there were two crates in the living room with coffins in them, and various other items packaged around them. Before they could get their answer, Elda and Victor came up from behind and put them out, and laid them in the coffins. “Well, that's done,” said Elda, “We'll ship them right away, and then everyone gets their items shipped to them in a staggered format as so not to tip off anyone of a massive movement.”
Victor looked into the coffin, and said, “Sorry my boy: you'll understand why later.”
 
Ruby and Hondo were walking back to her flat, and Ruby was at least trying to be cordial about the whole arrangement. Hondo decided to be patient, and let her get used to his presence. He hoped to build a rapport with her, and get an inroad. He was willing to be patient, because, he had waited this long, he could wait longer. He returned her to her flat, and Ruby politely thanked him. However, something did not feel right. He went a few blocks to his place, and thought for a moment or two. There were too many lights on in her flat, and he wondered what the moving van out front was all about. Something did not sit right, and he knew with what he had been charged. Therefore, he put on his outfit, strapped his sword to his back, and decided to go back. Now he could use that with which he was trained, and maybe prove to Ruby his worth. It's not everyday that someone was given the protection of an authentic and fully trained ninja. He went back and discovered that his suspicions were correct. He knew he was possibly dealing with vampires, so he made sure to stay upwind. He noticed that the moving van had gone to the alley, and so he used the fire escape to get to the van. As quiet as a fly walking, he crawled onto the top of the van and watched. He saw a long crate being loaded, and noticed the writing on it stating that it was a coffin being transported for a funeral in the United States. He also saw Ruby's parents consoling one another, and he knew something was terribly wrong. He decided to go with the van, and then find out what was in the crate once they were where they were going. He took out his climbing claws, centered himself on the van, and waited until anyone could hear him was gone. Once they were, and the driver and passenger were in the van, he slammed the climbing claws into the roof, and braced himself. Eventually, he made his way to the back, climbed down when he had the chance, slipped in the door, and closed it as best he could. He then went to the long crate, and figured out how to secure the lid once inside. He figured that, once he was inside, if the door did open, there would be nothing to see, and they would secure it. Once in the crate, he found it odd that there were about two days worth of foods normally found in camping for long-term storage. He opened the coffin, and sure enough, there was Ruby. He checked her pulse, and she was alive. Her heart was barely beating, so he figured that they must have used their abilities to put her into a hibernating state. He adjusted her so he could fit inside, and closed the lid. Sure enough, the door did open, and he barely heard the fussing about how the door should have been secured and such, and who was to blame for leaving it open. Hondo did not know where this was going, but one thing was for sure, when he got there, whoever was responsible for this was going to have Hell to pay.
 
 
 
6