Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 15

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15
 
As the group left in the car, there was silence. Jean-Claude finally said, “Okay, that was…different! I really don't know where to put this one! I mean, it did not need to happen; it needed to happen. It could have been handled better; it was handled fine.”
“Yes,” said Anjou, “It does feel funny.”
“I kind of feel like I did something wrong, but I can't put my finger on what?” said Jean-Claude.
“You dealt with a bunch of drunken, college age fools, and slapped some sense into them—what's wrong with that?” asked Gilbert.
“Okay,” said Jean-Claude, “Let's look at what happened: they wanted to stupid drink, they wanted to rope me in. I had to make a stand. It started to get hairy; I was willing to leave the game if it meant preserving a vow, and testimony. A few tried to be mature about it, others tried to be stupid. Anjou moves in with you guys and try to pull me out of it, someone gets in your faces, I tried to walk away, they hit Muff, and I go postal. I vamp involuntarily, and somewhere, my mind says, `Well, they saw you, so do what you need to,' and it gets real ugly. Some witness, we have to do damage control, and now we may have the most awkward offer for anyone to join the Clan that I can remember. Now, if anyone can make any sense out of that, you are a better man than I!”
Victor thought for a moment, and said, “You know, I guess we could just leave it, not try to figure it out, and then say, `all's well that ends well.'”
“I guess what's bugging me,” said Jean-Claude, “is the fact that, if there was something done wrong, I want to know how to avoid it happening again.”
After a few minutes of silence, Anjou piped up and said, “You know what I think it is, big brother, is the fact that you strive so hard to see what is the same about our kinds that you forget that we are yet different. There is nothing that you can do to avoid that.”
“I am well aware of that,” said Jean-Claude, “I am not saying I am ashamed of that.”
“You miss my point,” she responded, “You don't have to be ashamed of that. What I am saying is that you do so not want to become arrogant that you often forget that you are more powerful than them, no matter how you feel.”
“I'm not sure I follow,” said Jean-Claude.
“It is simple,” said Anjou, “I do want coexistence between our kinds, because you have shown me that having humans as friends can be a great thing. It has enriched my life, because there are a people out there different than me that I can learn from, and help them to grow as well. However, this is not a matter of different cultures, nationalities, or skin color. Vampires cross those lines too, in that, there is a variety there like that in vampires as there is in humans. I know you see it that way between us and humans, big brother, but at the same time, you cannot. No matter how much we learn to live together, and love each other, even forget what we are between each other, there shall always be a difference. Even though humans can learn to adapt and cope with us on an even level if need be, if you run a side by side comparison, we are superior to them, no matter what you feel. Yes, we have to be careful and not bring on us the wrath of humans, yet, at the same time, they had better respect what WE are, or they could see disaster themselves. They, of course, don't know what we are, but that does not mean that they have the right to disrespect us, just as much as they really have no right to disrespect each other. Yet, the difference is, when you tick off a vampire, there are much worse consequences.”
There was another minute or two of silence, and then Jean-Claude said, “So, what you are saying is that, we should not feel awkward for handling something like a vampire, because, if that is what we are, then that is what is going to happen?”
“Something like that,” said Anjou.
Gilbert chimed in, and said, “Jean-Claude, you are actually an example for vampires, in that you can show restraint in many situations where, in the past, if you lashed out like a vampire, no one in our community would have said anything. Instead, you have tried to be a peacemaker despite the right that you have to react. This is no excuse for acting like a tyrant, demanding people pay homage to you just because you are what you are. On the other hand, if they have earned your wrath, like tonight, then there is nothing anywhere written that shall blame you for acting like what you are to resolve things. On the other hand, how you handled it after was also in good keeping with vampires: you did what you could to keep it from going out of control, and you may have won some allies. I know you try to follow that Book as closely as you can, but remember how that Book said that He made each thing after its kind. Well, however we came to be, we are, and we act after our kind. That Book is good, but we are also not human. Thus, in reality, some of that does not apply to us, because it just cannot. So, don't feel bad. However, I would say, if that God of yours is real, I guarantee that he is pleased with the fact that you are trying to follow Him, and use what you consider His word to guide you as best it can considering the circumstances, and considering what you are. I guess what I am saying is, stay benevolent, but don't be ashamed for acting like a vampire when it is called for, and it can bring about a good end.”
He sat for about 30 seconds, smiled, and then began to laugh hard. Anjou showed a rare toothy smile, and said, “What's so funny, big brother?”
“My son!” he said, “Let me tell you what happened on his first day of school!”
With that, he relayed the story, and then Jean-Claude said, “In truth, he handled it just like a vampire would, and from what I understand, he actually made a friend out of the boy! I should pay attention to him; I could learn something from that boy!”
 
The next morning turned into an object lesson. Despite all that had happened, everyone went on as if nothing had happened, because they had no memory of some of the previous night's events, save for those few. Cream Cheese was the only one who didn't drink a lot, because he really was not a heavy drinker to start with, but because he indulged enough to be sociable, they left him alone. However, the others probably drank more than the others, because they tried to forget the horrific sights from the night before. As a result, they were just as hung over as the others. Then came the scrimmage. Jean-Claude and Cream Cheese were the only two that were sober and chipper. Everyone else was dragging. Yuriya and Jean-Claude were wearing their sunglasses for obvious reasons. Yet, to look at everyone else, you would have either thought that everyone else had the same condition, or that Jean-Claude had started a fashion trend. In reality, they were all hung over, and that made them sensitive to light. The inter-squad game then commenced, and the tale was soon told. Cream Cheese was on the same side as Jean-Claude, and he played fullback. To say that this 185 pound man was the smallest man on the squad outside of Pee-Wee said something about the average size of the players on the team. However, he was build like a strong safety, and hit like one too. He was fast, and had a good foot—all the good qualities of a Rugby fullback. Because he was sober, he, for at least one half, was a terror on defense for the backs as Jean-Claude was in the scrum. In fact, Andre ended up on the receiving end of a good hit from Jean-Claude, and put him on his back—something that was rarely seen. Later on, Mister Brau charged down field, only to be caught by a diving tackle from Cream Cheese in the midriff, and straight bent him in two with the hit. For the whole of the first half, Jean-Claude's side was dominating, and, in reality, he and Cheese were the whole team. Near the end of the first half, Jean-Claude scooped up a loose ball, and Tree was about to close in on him, when he dropped a hard shoulder into him, knocking him back, and tossing the ball to a charging Cream Cheese, who had nothing between him and the goal line but air and opportunity. He scored, and the whistle blew for the half. The two teams gathered on their sides of the field to talk. Sheila came out with the glasses, and Mickey came out with his special bottle. He had long ago learned to have blood on hand for the half time considering the sunlight caused him to burn through blood, and causing him to have to need it sooner than once a month. As he drank, Turlo tried to reach for it, but Mickey stuffed another bottle in his hand as Jean-Claude said, “You don't want this one!”
Turlo did not know how to respond until he saw the color of what was coming out of his bottle! Considering his condition, he walked over to a trash can on the sidelines, and promptly threw up! It was a stark reminder of what was packing beside him in the scrummages.
 
During the second half, it was apparent that the first half was spent sweating out the hangovers that everyone else had. At that point, they began to play much better, and for the seven in the know, they were beginning to have an epiphany. The team always exhibited a habit of playing flat in the first half, and then pulling out a win—sometimes—at the last minute in the half. Normally, that came by McQueeny, who had picked up the moniker of Miracle McQueeny for his last minute heroics. Because he had always been able to handle his liquor better, he always was able to shake off the hangover faster, and had the wherewithal to get the win that it seemed like no one else wanted. UMaine had always been able to do well in state, but when it came to the tournaments for Division Two and One for New England, they never fared well. In fact, they had rarely won any tournament! It was then that Turlo and McQueeny both figured out the problem, and it was possible that Drac had something. After discussing it with the club officers, they all sat together to discuss the scrimmage as one team. They went over the set plays, the scores, what worked and what did not, and then McQueeny took the floor. “Okay, guys, something else has come to my attention,” he said, “Jean-Claude here is a member of a fraternal order that swears off drinking as a part of their way of doing things. It is not a Greek society, so don't look for them. However, I am willing to respect that, considering that he acts just like any of us to our orders, in that he is as willing to stick with their bylaws as we are to ours. I can't knock him for that. Yet, I don't say that to defend him for anything necessarily, but I bring it up because I think alcohol is actually affecting our play. What I mean is, we spend all Friday night drinking, and then we come out here hung over and flat, mess around for a half, and then decide that we want to play and to win. Sometimes, I wonder if some of you even care about winning, and only see this is as an excuse to have another activity where you can get drunk and stupid. Yes, guys, this is kind of a drinking game, but, hey, are we here to drink, or are we here to play Rugby?”
“BOTH!” shouted almost everyone. McQueeny shook his head, and said, “Okay, let me put this differently. Look at the way Creamer played today. Now, he drinks his share, no question. That's why you guys generally leave him alone. However, I have never seen him go beyond tipsy, and he always comes out here, plays a fresh game, and he often is the difference between victory and defeat. God forbid if he is sick or hurt, because we loose that defense for that first half while we wait for the team to get their heads out of their butts! So, I guess what I'm saying is this: I am sick of coming up short every year, and I want to win it all this time. As your team president, I am going to say that, though I can't stop you drinking, I would ask of you that you try to keep it under control like Cheeser here does, and be fresh for the next day. After that, you can drink after the game, all you want at the party, even into Sunday morning if that's what you want. But, let's not get stupid right before the game. Let's at least try it for this first game next week at Colby and see if it works. If it does, there you go. We always play a close game against them, but if we kill them, then that shows there is something to it. Since I really should `lead by example' seven of us are going to swear off alcohol for at least the season and see if it helps our play. If it works, then for the rest of the season, if you come to the game hung over, then you just put yourself on the B-side game, because you are not fit enough to play on the A-side, and that's the game that really matters! So, are you willing to try that, at least for this game, and see how it goes?”
After a bit of discussion and mumbling, they all agreed. “All right then: that was a great scrimmage fellas. We'll see you guys on Monday afternoon to get ready for Colby, and I really want to beat those rich snots! How about you?”
They all called their approval, and they then split up, except for the seven involved.
 
They got separate from everyone else, and they wanted to talk to Jean-Claude. “You know, between this game, and last night, you really got our attention,” said Turlo.
“Fellas,” said Jean-Claude, “there are a few people on the face of the earth that, if you even displace one hair on their head, there is going to be Hell to pay. Three of them of them you see here. The others are Clansmen, my family, and especially that blonde, white haired girl. He hit her, and it was on!”
“Yeah, I remember that,” said Worm, “and if you had not wiped his memory, we would have thrown him off the team for that. However, it would have made no sense to do so, because he would have no clue as to the reason why.”
“Well, I guess I owe you an apology…” but Tree cut him off, and said, “We talked about it, and we realize that, had we been what you are, and had that happen, we might have done the same thing. Now that you tell us that the girl was family, that would have definitely made me go postal, and I don't think I would have held back nearly as much.”
“It reminded me to always respect people,” said Cream Cheese.
“How so?” asked Jean-Claude.
“To keep myself from getting killed out on the field,” answered Cream Cheese, “I always go out there with the attitude that there is someone out there that has my name tattooed across his forehead! I should do that, no matter what, because, well, you don't know what you're gonna tick off!”
They all laughed at this, and then Jean-Claude said, “What about my offer, fellas?”
They all hedged about that, and then McQueeny said, “Look, we're willing to follow your rules for the season and see how it goes. You have to understand, though, we are also members of other orders, and we can't exactly toss them aside just like that.”
Jean-Claude smiled and said, “Leave that to me and my friends!”
He then said, “As far as that goes, well, a probationary period would work, that's good enough for now. Behave yourselves, and keep away from alcohol. We'll see how it goes.”
“However, how are we going to do the initiation? I mean, everybody's got to do it,” said Andre.
“Fill the bowl with Moxie,” said Jean-Claude.
“We can say it's stout,” said Turlo.
“If they ask, I'll tell them the truth,” he said, “but you do what you want.”
Yuriya pulled him aside for a moment and asked, “Why would you do that?”
“After last night,” said Jean-Claude, “I've got to offer some kind of solidarity!”
As they were breaking up, Jean-Claude just had to know, “By the way, why are you called Cream Cheese?”
They all looked at each other, and Turlo said, “You know, there was a reason, but no one else really remembers. He just looks like a Cream Cheese!”
Jean-Claude then said, “Oh, by the way, if things work out, by Tuesday, I should have a surprise for the team!”
They looked at each other and said, “Sounds cool. See you, Drac!”
Jean-Claude laughed, smiled, and said, “You're not going to stop calling me that, are you?”
“It's too late!” said Andre, “Once you get stuck with it, it doesn't go away!” and he put an arm around his back as they laughed. All Jean-Claude could say was, “Oh brother!”
 
That evening, the family, (including Hondo and Innocent,) went to the student union for some candlepin. Jean-Claude had reserved the lanes for the whole evening, and with the amount of money that he showed to the lane keepers, they were not going to argue. Anjou had been practicing on her own herself, and it showed. It showed so much so, that some girls from the school bowling club approached her and asked if she would join the team. She thanked them for their gracious offer, but she explained that she had a condition that did not allow her out in sunlight, and so it would be hard for her to participate, especially if they had a tournament in the daytime. The girls were actually happy, because they said they rarely had events at the daytime, and all their practices were at night anyway, so it could work. For those day tourneys, they could sub for her. Anjou had never been the sociable one, but it seemed pleasant to her, and everyone insisted that she do it, knowing within them that it would be good for her. However, there were other events taking place that day.
 
In Paris, the four were all scouting out the spots that they had found on the map. They did not find anyone around, but what they did discover was the fact that every point led to a door which led to a tunnel. They only went in a few steps to confirm that it was a tunnel, and then left. They then went to the cathedral shaped area, and saw some activity going in and out. They later met, and they decided that they would capture one the next night, and use him to get in. They would then infiltrate their offices, take any information that would let them know details about the Inquisition, base locations, membership, and whatever else it would take to remove them from the face of the earth. Sadly, what they did not notice were the security cameras around the doors they found. That caught the attention of Leo rather quickly. Someone was snooping around. They did not know who or what it was. It could have been the Jesuits trying to shut them down, it could have been vampires. In either case, they would have to be watched, brought in, and questioned as to why they were snooping around where they did not belong. They were replenishing their numbers, and they did not have time for a war from either faction. They would have to act quickly.
 
 
 
4