Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16
 
That next evening, plans were being made. Ryuu suggested that they all go in at different entrances simultaneously, and try to find what they seek. All they would have to do is say something in a pitch and volume that only they could hear when someone had something. Once that happened, evacuate immediately. They decided to enter at points that were right at a middle distance from the central area, so as to give them something to think about. They all moved in, and found the tunnels unoccupied. Unfortunately, this was not unwatched. The cameras were on them, trailing them. One of the men asked Leo, “Move in now?”
“No,” said Leo, “Give it a moment or two. Let them build a false sense of security. They would be expecting heavy resistance, and to see the tunnel empty would be a false relief to them. On the other hand, when it looks like they are thinking, `You know, this is too easy,' that is when we move in. Patience, you shall have your chance against the animals.”
Indeed, each one of them was feeling a bit of relief that nothing was there yet. After all, they were going right into the belly of the beast, and there were only four of them. However, these were three of the four most powerful vampires in the world. The odds were more on their side, at least, it seemed that way. As they went, Ryuu and Ai were making good ground. Then the tunnels began to twist, and because of it, Ai and Ryuu ran right into each other. “Where did you come from?” said Ai.
“I was going to ask you the same thing,” he answered, “These tunnels are twisty. Of course, we should have figured that some would have converged the closer to our goal we got. Okay, keep your ears and nose open. Pick up on the freshest human scent.”
Ai was the first to pick it up, and she was moving. Oddly enough, they had yet to meet any resistance. This was easy—too easy. Ryuu stopped dead in his tracks, and said to Ai, “Let's double back: I have a bad feeling about this.”
“What do you mean, darling I…” but she stopped, sticking her nose to the air. “Wait,” she said, “I smell…”
“Humans?” asked a gruff voice. There was one, standing in a side tunnel, armed with a shotgun. They started to try to use their speed, but the room filled with the smell of about ten humans, and then the room filled with a thick smoke. This was followed by a heavy smell of mustard. They may have been vampires, but they still had humanoid bodies, which meant that, though they could easily recover from certain things where humans could not, they are still affected the same way by human attacks as humans are nonetheless. In short, the room filled with mustard gas, and the humans had donned masks and protective clothes. They wanted to run, but their nerves would not respond properly. Now they were both filled with panic. However, Ryuu had enough strength in him to find Ai, and throw her in the direction that would lead past this. She just started to run, not knowing or caring where she went, and bowled over one of the humans in the process. Her eyes were burning, she was coughing up a storm, and she would make great distances for the few strides she was on her feet. However, after each stride, she fell over and flopped as the nerve agent took effect. She was running, hoping to find her way to the surface. All the while, she heard echoes coming from all directions, telling her that there was no way out, and that she was as good as dead. However, she also heard screams, yelling, and the sounds of fighting as well. There were screams of two or three men, sounds of guns and rifles, and fighting. She was rushing blood to all her nerves, trying to purge out the poison and regain her faculties. However, the amount of blood that it took put her at dangerously low levels. Despite all that, she regained her senses, and started heading for the door. Yet, as she did, she was confronted by an inquisitor, but it was not much of a fight. Adrenalin was flowing hot in Ai, and as hungry as she was, she tackled and pinned down her opponent and drank deeply. It was not enough to kill him, but it was enough to take him out of commission for some time. She moved on energized and refreshed, and got to an exit when she heard it. “Prepare for Hell, demon spawn of Satan! In the name of the true church universal and triumphant, we consign you to Hell with no hope for escape!”
This was followed by the sound of a hammer on wood, and then the sound of a blade striking flesh. “NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” screamed Ai, but it was too late. She wanted to go down there, but she then heard, “Okay, wait for things to dissipate, and then bring the decontamination unit down here before it seeps into the water supply. Toss the beast's carcass into the trash heap, and wrap it well.”
She sat and waited, and she eventually saw three men carrying the thick decon bag out the door. They then took it to a dumpster a few blocks away and dumped it off like it was so much trash. There was no emotion or remorse on their faces. Once they were gone, she snatched the body, and went to an alley near where the others had gone in. Once she was there, she began to weep uncontrollably.
 
While this was going on, Chiyuki and Ren were able to meet up inside the central area. Indeed, it looked like the inside of a cathedral. However, as they began to examine the rooms, they knew it was more than just a house of worship. It was all underground, and had two levels. There was a worship area, and actual administrative offices, which they would have to explore later. However, they also found some rooms that were not as nice. In some of them, there were the various forms of torture that were rampant in the medieval/renaissance periods. It was a stark reminder that this was the Inquisition and seeing such “information gaining” devices should have been of no surprise. They went back to a few of the offices, and they came across one that read “records.” They both went in and started to scan for the draw or draws that might yield what they sought. They came across one set of draws that was marked “divisions,” and they figured that might have something to do with it. There was six draws—one draw for each of the inhabited continents of the world. Each one had several files, and they knew they could not take the whole tower. Thus, they started to sift for anything that might simplify their task, and came across one that read, “Divisions: index and general data.”
“Got it!” said Ren, “Let's get out of here! I don't like this quiet!”
The only reason for the quiet, however, was the fact that most of the compliment were dealing with the other infiltration. However, that did not mean that they were alone, and unwatched. As they made their way out, they went through the main worship area, and they heard a voice say, “That's all you wanted? Come, come now—I figured that you would have wanted to kill as many of us as you sub-humans could.”
They wheeled around to see Leo standing there with a Luger and a rapier, with the flat lain against his shoulder. “Now, you really think that you are going to stop the two of us walking out of here?” snapped Ren confidently.
“Maybe not,” said Leo, “And maybe so. Anyway, with what you have in your hand, I really could not allow you to leave. I mean, reverse this, and ask if you would let me out.”
Chiyuki smiled at their “host” and his “cordiality,” and said, “No, I suppose that we would try to stop you.”
“Ah,” he said, “Now this is refreshing. Here are two vampires that still have enough humanity to be logical. I have to applaud you. If you two had not crossed the line into the realm of abomination, I would have said that there was hope for the both of you. In any other circumstance, I would have called you friends. Alas, it is what it is, and I must do what I must do. Oh well…”
With that, he raised the pistol, but the two were already on the move. Indeed, they knew that Jean-Claude had taught that the way a human can beat a vampire was to think how a vampire would act and react, and then counter that. However, he also turned it around, and said that they should think along the same lines in confronting a vampire hunter, and they knew that the humans could employ “toys” that could compensate for any lack between him and the vampire. Thus, it was an even match. They were moving quickly, and Chiyuki was trying to make for the weapons while Ren headed for the door. However, Leo had been at this for a long time, and there was a reason why he was in charge. He was one step ahead of Chiyuki despite how fast she was, using obstacles to slow her, and constantly staying on the move. He knew that she was far to fast to take on toe to toe. He thus contented himself with playing rope-a-dope, keeping her off balance, hoping her temper could get the better of her, which would allow him to attack at a lapse of caution. Considering that he knew his lair well, he knew where to go as to where even her tremendous speed could not aid her. Finally, it seemed he disappeared, and she stopped long enough to growl. This is when he popped up from behind a pew when her back was turned. She heard it in time enough to wheel around and head for him, which was not fast enough for him to squeeze off a few rounds. Just as she was half the distance to him, Ren dove in front of her, taking all three shots in the chest. Leo did not miss a beat, and he was already moving in for the kill on both of them. Yet, she was still one of the three most powerful vampires in the world, and that meant that, though she still had weaknesses, she, like the others, was not unstoppable. However, it was Ren's act that caused adrenaline to take over, and she used her tremendous speed and strength to grab Ren, and leave the place. Two men saw Leo standing there, and staring. He could not believe how fast she was, and he had all he could do to keep up. “Are we not going after her, sir?” asked one of the men.
“No,” he said in return, “She is the most powerful vampire I have ever encountered. It would take many of us to beat her, or any of her kind. When the time comes, she will be one of the last few that we exterminate. She got away with some vital information, but I do not have any idea what she thinks she is going to do with it.”
“What about this “clan” I hear about?” asked the henchman.
“I am not sure if she has anything to do with them,” answered Leo, “Typically, vampires are lone wolves, or keep closely to their own groups. Oddly enough, they play a status and hierarchy game with one another. In other words, vampires are not organized. They would rather use things like this one against the other. This is why we shall ultimately defeat them. The rule is “divide and conquer,” but they are already divided. They will do enough damage to one another in time, and we kill the leftovers—whatever family or clan is left behind from their civil wars. If this “Clan” is anything, they are alone. Even if they have the resources to stop us, I guarantee they do not have uniform support, and that information would never get to them.”
Leo then asked the henchman, “So, what happened on your end?”
“We killed one of the animals,” he said, “The other got away in the confusion, and even fed on one of the men. He didn't die, though.”
“Good,” said Leo, “cauterize the bite, wash it with holy water, and go through purification processes to keep him human. Also, get him some blood, because he is going to need it. Oh, how strong were they?”
“They were quite strong,” he answered, “so we had to hit them hard. Despite that, we lost two of our men, but we got him.”
Leo rubbed his chin and thought for a moment or two, and then said, “Then I want you to inform the divisions of what happened, who attacked us, and what they got. Send them pictures of who attacked us tonight, and warn them to have heavy artillery to meet our prey. If they plan to attack us, it will be the last mistake they ever make.”
 
Ren was able to push out the bullets and preserve the file. He then began to heal, and he was aggravated that they were not able to kill the fool. Chiyuki was angry with her husband at first, but then was grateful that he took the bullets for her. As powerful as she was, she was surprised to see how much trouble she was having. This was a tough opponent, no question, and now she could see why the average vampire cringed when they heard the word “inquisition.” They went back to the hotel, hoping to meet up with the others, and then find a discreet way to Bangor to drop off the information. To Ren and Chiyuki, it seemed like everything went well. They were soon to find out otherwise. They entered the room, found the heavy hazmat bag on the floor, holding back the nerve agent all over the corpse, and then saw Ai with a long, thin cord around her neck as she stood in the window. Instantly, Chiyuki had it off her and her off the ledge. “NO!” screamed Ai, “LET ME DIE! LET ME DIE! I HAVE NOTHING TO LIVE FOR NOW!”
They knew that the wire was strong enough not to break on her weight, but it was also the perfect thickness that it would have taken off her head the second it cinched tight—her precise intent. They had to do everything they could to restrain her. By her reaction, they knew that the only one that could be in the bag was Ryuu—the granddaddy of them all. He finally met his end. The only thing they could say was good was that he had a chance to make peace with God before he went. They could only hope he was with Him and at peace forever. After they calmed her down, they were able to get the story out of her, and then realized that there was only so much the hazmat bag could do for them. They had over bag this, and then bury him. Ren said that he would do the honors, knowing that Ai would try to stop him, and Chiyuki could be the only one to restrain her. Indeed, she did struggle, and struggled hard, but she was able to restrain her friend as Ren went out to take care of things. All the while, she said, “I just got you back! No, not another one: why do we have to lose another?”
 
Ren found a spot outside the city, away from anything that could be contaminated, and buried the body. After a moment of reflection, he knew that he had to use some of his old tactics to lure in some food for the three of them, although he doubted that Ai would feed. He then rethought it, and decided to bring in food for the two of them, and then take care of Ai as soon as she reached the point where the need for food would overtake her resistance to it. After that, they would have to rest for the night, and figure out a discreet way to Bangor, Maine, and let everyone know what was going on. Jean-Claude had to know what he was facing, or else all was lost.
 
While all this was going on, it was early Sunday evening in Maine, and the ones who were the guests gathered around for a big supper. Yuriya, Fumio, and Karin laid out a spread, and everyone was in good spirits, considering how it was going. Some semblance of normality was coming to them now. They had a regular schedule, and they were able to have somewhat of a normal life. The kids were settling into school, Anjou was coming out of her shell, and there was a chance that she would come to God. Innocent and Hondo were beginning to be on talking terms, considering they had a few of the same classes, and they had the same assignments. They often helped each other with homework, and as a result, Innocent was dropping her guards unknowingly, and they were building a mutual trust. Because of the A-team, the Brownlicks were even acting like they were family, and actually belonged there. Jean-Claude's crew gave thanks, and they all dove in. For some of them, they could barely taste the food, so they also chose foods that would also have pleasant textures as well. Karin was more than happy to display the culinary skills school had provided, and she was then happy to share it with the rest of the cooks of the household. The table was abuzz with conversations on everything they were involved with, and, for example, Jean-Claude said, “Well, hunting has been interesting.”
“How so,” asked Karin.
“Bangor is not your typically big city,” answered Jean-Claude, “It's not like Tokyo, the Boston Commons, New York City, and such, where finding evil is easy. I really have to hunt here! Maine is a quiet place, and if we had been in Portland, it would not have been as tough.”
“How are you dealing with that?” asked Wiener.
“I just have to look hard,” answered Jean-Claude, “Besides; I'm surprised you haven't heard yet about the sorority that has been expelled from the university.”
Karin looked over in surprise, and said, “Was that you?”
Jean-Claude smiled, and said, “It was a mild case of evil, but it was tasty!”
“What happened?” asked Maki.
“I was going to town,” he answered, “and passed by the campus. I went by a wooded area not too far from Greek Row, and I heard some odd ritual moaning going on. Now, I realize that the initiation we do is severe, but what we do is not like this. I mean, this is a college thing, and going to the extremes that we go through really are not necessary. Normally, the hazing is in good clean fun. It's meant to humiliate a bit, but just to make them pay a few dues before becoming a full brother or sister. For us, what people pledge to is a severe thing, and it means that one is putting his life on the line for the others in a mighty cause. What they are is not that severe, and there is no need for them to go to the level that some goes. There is not anything that severe they pledge to in order to have to put up with some of the humiliation they suffer. I guess what I am saying is that you cannot compare us with them.”
“Okay!” said Anjou all frustrated, “You've stated your disclaimer, and we understand. Now, tell us what happened, for goodness sake!”
“Sorry,” he said, “I just wanted to detach it from us.”
“Did something horrible happen?” asked Fumio.
“They had about four pledges there,” answered Jean-Claude, “and they were blindfolded. The rest of the sisters were wearing hooded robes, not too dissimilar to what we would use, but with a different intent. Anyway, they also had very hot fire pits there, and what looked like fire brands in them. Then two of them were ordered to drop their pants and bend over. Sure enough, they were branding irons, with the Greek letters of the sorority at the base heated white hot. For three in charge, there was evil intent, and it showed in them. I was not about to let this happen, so I pulled up my scarf, drew my saber, and knocked them away. I announced, `This stops now! Girls, take off your blindfolds and run! They mean to brand you!'
However, the sorority closed ranks and would not let them leave. The one in charge was either too brave or too stupid, because she came up to me, slapped me, and said, `How dare you defile our sacred ceremony?'
I roared, I vamped out, though she did not yet see the fangs, and thundered, `I don't normally fight girls, but if that's what you want…'
I then picked her up and roared as I let my scarf drop. The scream was worth it! She lost her bladder right there. They tried to run, but I used my speed to corral them all, and I bound them. I set the pledges to the side, and told them that they would have to stay and tell the police what happened, because I would be sending them. I then went to one of those prissy ones and pulled her out. I had to get the point across, so I stripped her to the waist, and, no, I left her bra, dear!”
He said this before Yuriya could say anything, but she did ask, “Why did you do that?”
“Well, even though I was going to wipe all their memories,” he said, “I was still going to leave her with a memory that she had been humiliated somehow like that. So I did this, and you should have heard her! She thought she was about to be raped. Of course, that was not going to happen, but I did then feed off her, and you should have heard them scream then! They thought they were next. I just put them all to sleep, including the pledges, and at least removed the memory of my feeding. I then put something else in there that showed something had stopped them, but they did not know what. All they knew is that he humiliated one of them before he left. I then found Richard, explained what happened, and he said he would take it from there. He was going to insure that there would be no manhunt for me, and he just said that stopping that kind of thing was fine, just try to be more discreet. He did some great damage control, but that sorority is through, and I think all of the girls have been suspended, and the leadership in that house is going to jail for assault charges, and they all face accessory charges for letting it happen. Sad to say, it's too common, and Richard does want me to keep a lookout for things like that.”
Karin then said, “You know, I put one of that ilk in her place.”
“What do you mean?” asked Kenta.
“Well, some girl was complaining about it,” answered Karin, “and she said, `Well, he had the nerve, whoever he was! I mean, Greek business is Greek business, and that's just the way things are done!'
I asked her, `Are you saying that Greeks are above the law in doing what they do?'
She answered me so snooty that her nose was scraping the ceiling! She said, `They are their own world, and nobody has the right to interfere with time honored traditions!'”
Kenta began to smile, because he knew that Karin and her simple logic must have put that girl in her place. He could not wait to hear what she said. He then asked Karin, “What did you say to that?”
Karin smiled as she said, “I told her, `If it had been so right, then why did they need to blindfold the pledges? Could it be that they would have run if they knew? The only way I would have tolerated that is if they volunteered, (she knowing how the Clan handled things,) and only if they had the right medical gear on hand after it was done!'
I then said, `Time honored tradition my eye!'”
Mickey and Sheila were laughing, and Sheila said, “What did she say then, Auntie-san?”
“Oh, she got all red-faced, and would not talk to me for the rest of the class!” laughed Karin.
The whole table began to laugh, and Jean-Claude then said, “Well, I guess you condensed what I said! When we do what we do, it is only because people know what is coming, and they come in with their eyes wide open.”
Mickey thought for a moment, and said, “Is it then that you think that we are above human law?”
That caught Jean-Claude, considering the conversation not two nights before. That brought some seriousness to the table, and after some thought, Jean-Claude said, “You know, I want unity between our worlds, and coexistence. Still, I hate to admit it, but there are going to be some areas where things are not going to mix. I mean, we always want to try to act within the law. However, there are things that are unique to us as there are in their world. I guess what I am saying is that we, being what we are, must have some liberty to act in those ways, as long as we don't upset the fruit cart too bad. I guess that, in time, some kind of compromise will be found.”
“But daddy,” said Sheila, “Would that mean that there would never be a complete mix, because of the difference?”
Yuriya piped up, and said, “Honey, you are always going to have clods that will not play the game. Fortunately, they are more in the minority, or could be, depending on how we deal with them.”
Jean-Claude jumped in, and said, “What your mother is saying is that there would be enough of a mix as to where differences would be understood and accepted, and those few would have to be put on notice that their bigotry—for the lack of a better term—would not be tolerated. Proper education would keep them from having any ears to hear them, and they would fade to the background. However, I leave that to you—the next generation. I know that, by the time you two, Kannon, and Sophia are adults, you'll know what to do.”
“You make it sound like we are some kind of crowned heads waiting for a throne,” said Mickey.
“In the vampire world, anyway,” answered Jean-Claude matter-of-factly.
The twins stiffened, and said, “So, some of what the Brownlicks were saying was true.”
Jean-Claude always admired the sharpness of his son, because the boy kept him on his toes. He said, “A little of what they said was true. However, they would have wanted you to be a tyrant over the humans, but you know that's not right. If that were the case, would we have Kannon? Would I be here? Would your mother be what she is, if she had been born at all? Would we have the allies we have? No, son, you are not to be a tyrant, because I do believe that the same forces that protected the two of you as toddlers would also put a stop to you if you tried. Always remember that there is a force more powerful than you to whom you will answer sooner or later. Still, son, you are powerful, and you and your sister know it! You will have so much of an edge over other vampires that they would have no choice but to listen to you. You will have a challenger or two, but they will not stand. However, never forget the common touch. You and your sister have had all the breaks. You have not seen what I have seen. I have dined with kings and queens, and I have dined on pork and beans, and everyone's had that every once and a while. Remember Kipling, and what he said can make you a man: if you can walk with kings and queens, and not lose the common touch. We have our ways, and we can be sure that they do not disrupt the human world, but they are our ways. We are not human, and certain things would not apply to us. However, that does not mean that we cannot be civil in that. They must respect what we are, but at the same time, never lose respect for what they are able to do, for they can find ways to compensate for the differences, and wipe us out if they wanted to. Remember, there is a fine line between executing justice, and trying to act in God's stead, just like there is a fine line between liberty and license.”
That seemed to be sufficient for Mickey, and that is why he loved his dad so much. If he had his way, whenever this thing took place, he would do all to insure that he had a place in things, because, without him, he would not even be, or have the chance he had.
 
However, a few minutes later, as dinner was wrapping up, the twins acted as if something had hit them. They felt like a sharp pain rocketed through their heads as they heard a primal scream. Kannon just began to erupt in tears. Quickly, Yuriya and Jean-Claude were trying to tend to their children, and find out what was wrong. “Daddy,” said Sheila, “Someone screamed in pain! Someone is hurt—someone we know!”
It had to be from far away if they heard the distress call, and no one else did. However, Anjou did complain of a slight headache, which made Jean-Claude wonder even more. “Come on, honey,” said Jean-Claude, “Let's get them to bed, get some cold compresses for them, and try to calm them down so we can find out what's wrong.”
They led the children away as Karin and Kenta were doing all they could to console their daughter. Innocent began to feel a rise in her blood, and she told Christy to find the next candidate quickly. Christy said there were none right then, and then Hondo started to lead her away. When they got to her room, Hondo said, “Do not protest this: you don't have time, or a choice. You must bite me!”
That was the last thing she wanted to do right then! Hondo sat on her bed, and yanked her into a sitting position beside her. Christy and Bridgette were not too far behind. Innocent said, “NO, I will not!”
Yet, Bridgette said, “He can use your blood, because you can g'hul him out, and help him to protect you better. You shall not be forgiven for wasting one drop of Fount blood!”
Innocent smacked the bed, because she knew that she was being forced into one of those “I-have-no-say” situations. However, now Hondo was becoming sad, because she was indeed in pain, and her face was getting red. Sadly, for Innocent, her instincts took over, because she saw the aura around him, and she acted like a vampire that needed to feed. Her eyes glowed blue as she smiled a fang-filled smile. She force pushed him to the bed, and straddled him. She sniffed his neck a couple of times to look for a good spot, and then bit. Hondo winced at first, and then relaxed as if he were enjoying it. After about ten minutes, she released. She was weak, because she had released so much blood instinctively, that being the result of resisting doing what she should have. She passed out beside him, and the two women pulled the comforter over the both of them. They then turned out the lights and closed the door as they left. They then hurried to Jean-Claude's living area to find out what happened to the twins.
 
 
 
6