Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin: The Inquisition ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17
 
Bridgette and Christy made their way to Jean-Claude's residence, and knocked to see if they were willing to take visitors. Yuriya answered and bade them enter. They came to the room wherein the twins resided, and found them both in bed with cold compresses on their foreheads. He told them, “Its okay, you're just more sensitive to those cries than others. Just get some rest, okay?”
They both moaned affirmatively, and he came out and closed the door. He greeted his guests, and they asked, “So, how are they?”
“Well, it looks like nothing more than a bad headache,” he said, “They should be okay by morning.”
“What was it?” asked Bridgette.
“They are more sensitive to psionic screams of our kind than others,” said Jean-Claude, “and this is what must have hit Kannon. They just haven't learned to control reception yet.”
“Did they tell you anything?” asked Christy.
“It appears that someone we know had something quite traumatic happen to him or her,” said Jean-Claude, “However, what that may be, I am not certain. Hopefully, someone will contact us. I want to call out, but I don't know the risk. I could use a pay phone later on, though.”
“Do you think it's anything serious?” asked Bridgette.
“I hope not,” answered Yuriya, “There is no telling what they really heard.”
 
Within ten minutes of the infusion, Hondo woke up, feeling full of energy and vigor, as if nothing at all could be wrong with the world. Then he realized where he was, and next to whom he lay. He started to move quickly, to get up, but an arm restrained him. “Please, don't go,” said a weak voice next to him, “I'm so cold, and I need warmth.”
He looked over at Innocent, who looked pale and weak. She spoke, but her eyes remained closed. “You know who this is, right?”
She moaned an acknowledgement, and said, “Like I could forget!”
“What happened?” he asked, with genuine concern.
“I waited too long,” she answered, “I released more than I wanted. I should have known better.”
She sat silent for about five seconds, and then she said, sounding humbled, “I should have listened to you.”
He lay back down as she snuggled close. “Hondo-kun,” she said, “Am I really an arrogant fool?”
“Hondo-kun is it?” said Hondo, “What brought this on? I thought it was `Hondo-pervert,' or `Hondo-idiot,' or, `Hondo-brainless.'”
She sighed heavily, and said, “Knock it off!”
“Ah, so!” said Hondo, “That is more what I would have expected.”
“I guess you're answering my question,” she said, “I am arrogant.”
“Well, I wouldn't say…” he started to say, but she cut him off, and said, “I am arrogant. If I had not been, I would not have had this happen.”
“Everyone makes mistakes…” he continued, but again, he was cut off. “Please, I have to say this,” she said, insisting that she be allowed to talk, “I have been arrogant and selfish. All you have done was care about me, put me first in everything, risked your life for me, and even helped some of them overcome their prejudices. All I have done is treated you like dirt, and all because I couldn't get my way, like a spoiled child.”
“Look,” he said, “There is no way that I could make you do what you don't want to do. If it is not me, then I can accept that. I'll still keep my pledge, and we can be friends…”
A hand came up and pressed on his lips as she said, “Please, it's alright. Don't talk about yourself like that.”
He looked at her confused as she continued, “You have to understand something: when a human volunteers his neck to a vampire, it is the greatest compliment he or she can receive. It says, `I trust you with my life, and I know that you are not going to hurt me. You have a need, and I wish to fulfill it.'
You have no idea how attractive that is to us. You have no idea how vulnerable you make yourself to the vampire. That vampire normally is overwhelmed by the trust placed into him or her. You see, what Jean-Claude does not know, and not many vampires know, or wish to acknowledge, is that there have been situations where there has been openness between vampires and humans, though very limited. It has been because of the kinds of things that you did that has made this happen. No other human has done what you have done for me. You volunteering your neck was the icing on the cake. After all you have done for me, and after all I did to you, you still wanted to literally put your neck out for me.”
She started to tear up, and say, “In all my time, no one has ever said that they cared about me that much, and I feel like such an evil wench for treating you like I have. All you have done is loved me!”
She then began to cry, and he began to hold her, and rock her comfortingly, saying, “If you are apologizing, I forgave you long ago. I don't see you as evil. I see you as someone who seeks a guiding hand, and I want to be that hand. Please, let me be that hand.”
She continued to cry, and he figured it was best to say nothing, and let her vent. When she had, he knew that she could then express her heart. However, in her heart, she now realized that she had always liked him ever since the wedding, but she was not willing to admit this to herself, and now she loved him dearly. For the moment, he just being there was enough.
 
Karin and Kenta had finally settled Kannon down and got her to sleep. They were concerned over what had happened, and they were preparing to find Jean-Claude. However, at that moment, there came a knock at the door of the manor. One of the servants opened the door, and there stood three of the most forlorn vampires that she had ever seen. The male said, “I need to report to the chief—it is urgent.”
They were led into the foyer, and they were asked to wait. Within a few minutes, Richard came in, asking, “Who are you, then?”
“My name is Ren Makka,” he said, “and this is my wife, Chiyuki, and our friend Ai.”
After hearing the name “Makka,” he became deeply concerned. “How did you know to come here?”
“We stopped in Japan,” said Chiyuki, “and we spoke to Henry, who then put us in touch with the council. Because of the nature of what we have, he sent us along on a circuitous route to your door, and now we have to speak.”
He bid them in, and he asked what relation Ren had to the family, and he mentioned that he was Karin's brother. As they went into Richard's office, Karin was summoned. Ai looked as if she could have cared less, and it was a chore to make her feed. She appeared to have given up on life, but the others were not about to let her go. Karin walked in, and sensed the unhappiness in the room. That made her hungry, but she knew that it would have to wait until later. The way she felt, she mused that Bangor had better watch out: some unhappy people were going to feel anemic by morning! Once everyone was seated, Ren presented the folder, and said, “We were able to break into the main headquarters of the Inquisition and steal that. That is a file that contains the location of every Inquisition substation in the world.”
Richard stood there, mouth agape like a carp, eyes wide open. This was the first break they had been hoping for, and he wondered how anything like this could happen. Ren then said, “This was courtesy of the Clan. They want this resolved just as much as you. However, this came at a price.”
Richard took on a more serious look at that statement, and he said, “What happened?”
“He's dead,” Ai wept, “He died protecting me! Why did he do that? Why did he leave me?” and she began to wail. It did not take much for Karin to figure out what was going on. “It was Ryuu, wasn't it?” she asked.
Ren and Chiyuki both looked down as Ai drooped her head as she began to cry louder. Then Richard began to think and then said, “Are you telling me that the Great Elder is no more?”
“Odd thing was, he made things right with God before he went,” said Chiyuki, “So, I have to guess he has peace now.”
“Thank you,” said Richard, “Your sacrifice was great, and if you three need a place to stay, I open my home to you.”
“Thank you for your gracious offer,” said Ren, “It will give me the chance to catch up with family.”
Chiyuki then leaned forward, and she whispered, “It will also give us the chance to keep an eye on her—she has had suicidal tendencies as of late.”
Karin and Ren hugged, and he said, “So, how's the little whiner?”
She paid the statement no mind, and she hugged him tight, saying, “I am so sorry.”
“We have to tell Anjou,” said Ren, “I think she should know.”
 
Jean-Claude and Anjou had both caught wind of the visitors, and they went to meet them. However they were met by them as they were being escorted to some guest quarters until more permanent settings could be provided for them. Anjou saw Ren and ran up to hug him. As they exchanged greetings, (and as Ren gave Jean-Claude a greeting nod,) Jean-Claude went up to Chiyuki, and Chiyuki pulled him aside. “What are you doing here!” said Jean-Claude, “You could have been followed!”
“Not likely,” she said, “You know I move faster than that.”
“Well, what is going on?” he asked.
“Well, its bad news and good news,” said Chiyuki, “We were in Iraq, where the Garden of Eden once sat, and Ryuu was making things right with God. He actually offered up an animal sacrifice the way he should have, to say to God that he would be willing to do things right from that point forward.”
“That was a good start,” said Jean-Claude, “I just hope that he accepted the one true way after that.”
“I don't know if he did,” she said, “But he did seem to have a different spirit about him.”
He then began to look around, then to look at Ai, his face lost its color, and he asked, “What happened to Ryuu?”
Chiyuki said, “He gave his life for the dream.”
Jean-Claude could not believe what he was hearing. “But how!” he exclaimed, “He was much too powerful for them to…”
“The Inquisition is tough,” she said, “They were ready for something like that. They know vampires too well, and the actions they could take. They actually used mustard gas on us!”
“Mustard gas!” he then said a bit louder, gaining the attention of everyone around. She pulled him a bit further away as he asked, “How, in the name of common sense, did they get their hands on that!”
“They must have known the power they were dealing with,” she said, “and so, they pulled out the heavy artillery.”
“This means they have access to military ordinance, and we must take that into account,” he said, “My God, he took all of that for the dream? What was he trying to do?”
“It was what WE did,” she said, “Richard will fill you in. Once he does, just promise me that he will not die in vain for what he helped to gather.”
“I don't know what he gathered,” said Jean-Claude, “but if it was that important to go right into the jaws of the beast, you have my vow on that!”
 
As they spoke, there was some muttering going on as Karin joined the other two. After some moments of silence, Anjou then said, “WHAT! Not another one—please tell me that it is not another of the family!”
Jean-Claude heard this, and he went over, saying, “Muff, he died a hero.”
“That's not the point!” she thundered, “I can' stand this! Everyone we love is dying! Why can't they leave us alone?”
Jean-Claude knew that she was still smarting from the loss of Francois, and the loss of Ryuu did not help matters much. He had to get her under control somehow, and he said as she was marching off, “He got us something special as to where we can defeat the Clan, Muff. He gave all of us a chance to live by giving up his own life. He is a hero.”
They got to her residence when she flung the door open and slammed it shut. It then came open an instant later, and she said, “Where is this God of yours?”
Jean-Claude became serious, and said, “Right where he has always been.”
She then snapped, “Some God He is—He is taking everything I love away from me, and after I did what I could to reach out to Him.”
She then slammed the door shut, and it echoed throughout the corridors. However, Jean-Claude restrained himself, and waited for God to tell him to act. He then heard a still, soft voice say, “Get her attention, the way you know how.”
That was all he needed to hear. Three seconds after she slammed the heavy oaken door, it slammed to the floor, with hinges flying across the room. He stared at her with righteous indignation, and said, “JOIN THE CLUB!”
Anjou stared at him, now with stark terror on her face. She had never seen this directed at her before, and now she knew why people were so frightened of his countenance when he got like this. “I can't believe I have to talk to you like this, of all people!” he thundered, “But I guess it's time you got off your pity party and faced reality! SIT…DOWN!”
He pointed an index finger in a downward position, and Anjou sat in her chair with a look on her face as if she had been stung by a bee in her buttocks. Jean-Claude then began his lecture, “Don't think that you were the only one that cried when Francois died! Don't think that I don't feel that loss! He became a precious member of the family, and a great friend. It is because he died that we have to take these precautions, but know that he died for you, Anjou! He took the sword for you! He was not about to let them take you! Would you have not done the same? Ryuu died to get us vital information. He was the oldest, most powerful vampire. Sadly, he tried to go in with inadequate numbers, because he underestimated our foe, and yet he still gained a victory. Is this how you want to honor the both of them, by taking a `woe-is-me' attitude and blaming it all on God? HOW DARE YOU! I cannot believe I am saying this to you! Yet, you had better listen well, young lady! I am not your father, but I now act in his proxy! Don't you dare go blaming this on God, because God never acts unjustly. Hey, remember who also lost loved ones to monsters…or have we forgotten?”
She suddenly looked down, realizing that he had suffered just as bad as she had, and she now was letting him down. “Right now, the difference between you and me is what we did with our tragedies. Yes, I mourned, but I also had loved ones around me who helped me turn it into something else. Instead of turning in on myself, I did what I could to honor their memories. That is why I carry that saber, and wear that shirt. If you want to set it right, then take the training you have gained and stand by my side as we go into battle, and let them know that you are their price for sin. By the way: don't ever think that God would take from us without having us gain something greater at the end if we do not quit. You know, in your dealings with the Psalms, why don't you swing over to Job, and then Ecclesiastes? Maybe then you won't think of yourself more highly than you ought. Endure the trial, have your time of mourning, and then get ready to put the past at peace, and in this case, it means putting the hit on the evil that harmed you. Besides, apparently, he made his peace with God before he went, and it was his time. When it's your time, and it happens in the heat of the battle, I'm not going to shed that many tears for you until the fight is over, because too many would rely on me. How we deal with death is just as important as how we deal with life. I know it is awkward for a vampire, considering how long our kind lives. Yet, here it is, and you have to face that beast. Remember that poem by Kipling: some things that marked adulthood in that poem were if we can meet with Triumph and Disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same; if we can bear to hear the truth we've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, or watch the things we gave our lives to broken, and stoop and build them up with worn-out tools. No matter how long we live, death is inevitable. It is how we face death that makes the difference.”
He then retrieved the hinges and did what he could to put them back in place enough as to where she could close the door. He would repair them later. In the meantime, Anjou sat there for a good fifteen minutes, stewing over what she had heard, and then went back to the Bible, opening up to Ecclesiastes. She read, and she began to feel enlightenment somehow. Had she been acting that selfish? She then opened to Job, and began to receive an education.
 
As Jean-Claude stepped out, Karin was right there. He was startled by the silent approach, and he said, “Taking lessons from Muffin?”
She smiled, and said, “No, I've been taking lessons from you and Hondo.”
He put his arm around her shoulder as they walked. She then said, “I heard what you said, and I can tell you, she needed to hear that. Sometimes one has to have reality thrown at them.”
She then gave a knowing glance to him, as he smiled and remembered that time eight years earlier. She then said, “When the time comes, let me be there with you.”
“What!” he exclaimed, “Why would you want to do that?”
“Look,” she said, “Ever since Boris, all I have wanted was peace. Then I learned about how things should have happened. Now that I have done my part, I don't want to fade away.”
“You're not going to fade, Karin,” said Jean-Claude, “Kannon needs someone like you to train her.”
“Listen,” she said, “I just want a hand in this. So much has been done to disrupt my life, and, quite frankly, I'm getting sick of it. Kenta and I have discussed it, and because of the training, we are ready to take our place as Clan fighters, and put and end to this once and for all time. Anjou and I would be a great team, because we know each other so well. They would not expect us.”
“What if something happened to you? What about Kannon?”
“If you get home, I know that you and Yuriya could raise her right, and teach her that mommy and daddy died to give her the chance she now has for greatness. If something happened to you, there is Elda, Henry, Yuriya, hey, even Bridgette! She and I have smoothed things over, and I know her and Gilbert could take care of Kannon.”
“Well, I cannot stop you if that is what you want, but I just have to state the risk, lest I have your blood on my hands.”
“Let me tell you: getting home to Kannon will be the greatest motivating factor to finishing this, and getting home!”
“Then I would be honored to have you and Kenta at my side. Let's put an end to this!”
 
A little later, Richard called Jean-Claude to the study, and they sat at his desk. “Have they told you what has been acquired?”
“Something about good information,” answered Jean-Claude.
“Oh, it's great information!”
“What is it?”
Richard then opened the folder, and began to show him all the markings that showed all the spots where the Inquisition had a nest of their vipers. Jean-Claude's eyes brightened. “We have a chance to end this swiftly!” he exclaimed.
“Then what I want you to do,” said Richard, “is go over this, and come up with a plan to get the job done, and not drive them underground to the point where we could do nothing more than hope they strike so that we can strike.”
“Leave that to me and the A-team,” said Jean-Claude, as he took the folder and thanked Richard. As he went to walk out, he said, “Know this for a fact, sir: every vampire that has died trying to eliminate this scourge, and died to get us this information, shall not have died in vain if I have my way!”
 
 
 
5