Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Undead Hearts ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Undead Hearts
Prologue
 
His strong tanned hands were around my neck. My insatiable need for air burned my lungs. He had beaten my two friends, Demyx and Roxas, into the pavement. Naturally I had refused to let him get away with it. That was my first mistake. I should have gotten the two brothers medical attention. Demyx lie on his back, blonde mullet styled hair damp with sweat, and dull blue eyes fixated on the clear sky looming above. His wrist and ankle were most likely broken with a deep cut along his jawbone on the left side of his already pale face. On the other hand Roxas lies on his stomach, holding his bleeding nose and mouth. The blonde had fallen to the ground and blacked out, concealing his once vibrant blue eyes from the world. I just knew he wasn't dead though. I hadn't even realized that my eyes had been closed until I snapped them back open. I glared at the golden eyed, silver haired Xemnas. What a prick! Hell Demyx and I are only 19, Roxas only 18. Breath escaped me as he crashed me into a brick wall before dropping me to the ground. Something crushed my chest. I knew I was going to die the minute my head slammed back into the already bloodied pavement. Demyx and Roxas Kaze lay bleeding while I lied there dead.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
My body floats in utter darkness, in a standstill. I should have known Xemnas would kill me. That vile man had been provoking me for what had been a month. He had targeted many of my allies and friends including the Kaze brothers. Sora had been sexually harassed. I remember finding him afterward; his spiked brown hair drooping and eyes blue as the ocean, distant and afraid. Zexion was his next target and the first that had shed blood. Everyone used to joke that Zexion was emo because he wore dark colors, long sleeves, and seemed emotionless at times. His slate colored hair and dark blue eyes had seemed to be permanently stained with blood from the cuts on his back, arms, legs, face, and torso. The only way I knew for sure Xemnas had done it was the fact that he had forced Demyx to watch him cut into Zexion. So I had begun to hang with the two toughest guys in the school, Leon and Cloud. But that didn't even stop Xemnas; he went after the weaker link, Leon. The 17 year old had done nothing. While two of Xemnas's lackeys held me, he held a very beaten Leon to him by Leon's shoulder length brown hair. I can even remember the fear in Leon's blue-gray eyes when Xemnas revealed a pocketknife. The slash made its mark from the tip of his right eyebrow to the bridge of his nose. Now that I think about it, Zack, the other guy, was the only one not hurt, that I know of. With a shaky breath I let go of the memories, letting my mind blank and I close my eyes.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The warmth of the sun's ray falls over me, basking me, and I smile. A cold yet soft voice floats into my head, apparently speaking to another person. “Close the curtains; do you want him to be in agony? Honestly Myde, use your head.”
 
An innocent voice, most likely belonging to Myde groans, “Oh come on Ienzo! He still likes sunlight! See he's smiling!”
 
“Listen this is Riku's find so let's leave it alone.”
 
The curtains close with a swoosh and the light that was present is now absent, or at least that I can tell with my eyes closed. I thought I was dead but it doesn't sound like it. I'm a “find” as the boy Ienzo had said. How dare they?! With a new fire burning inside me, I struggle to open my eyes, expecting to see some malevolent creatures. Instead I'm greeted by two male forms. One of them has short blonde hair falling down the nape of his beck while some strands spike out randomly at his part, his baby blue eyes are inviting and kind. He's the first one to reach out and help me sit up when I snap my eyes open. “Take it easy, don't want to collapse do you? Anyway I'm Myde.”
 
I nod slightly as I let my emerald eyes gaze toward the other, Ienzo. His dark blue hair lay pushed back out of his face and cascades down the nape of his neck ending right before his shoulders, not a hair out of place. Ienzo's midnight blue eyes match his hair and stand out from his un-normally pale skin while sparking a remembrance to Zexion. Ienzo raises a single eyebrow, “What's your name?”
 
That's always the first question and surprisingly enough my mind struggles to dig up the answer. Yet I still manage to answer, “Axel Kaen.”
 
The eyebrow falls back into place as he smiles at me, “Okay then, your new name is Alex. That is unless you prefer Lea.”
 
I shake my mane of red spikes that still falls to my shoulders. “Fine but I have questions…and I want answer.”
 
“The only answers you get are from me, you're my find.” the stern voice says from the doorway. I glance in that direction and I feel myself begin to stare at the almost elegant figure. The attire of him is different from Ienzo and Myde. Ienzo wears a long sleeved button up white shirt with jeans, while Myde wears a baby blue tee and jeans. This male standing in the doorway is in all black from boots, pants, shirt, to his long coat. It must be the one who “found me”, Riku. Despite the black, his eyes shine down at me with the bluest green of the ocean and his long silver locks gleam in the sparse lighting of an oil lamp next to me. His hair must fall slightly past his shoulders while his bangs almost cover those mesmerizing eyes of his. “You are my prize and mine alone!”
 
Infuriated one more at being treated like a piece of property I gently push Myde away and jump to my feet. I stomp over to Riku, grab the front of his shirt in my fist, and lift him up to my level. “Don't ever call me a prize!” I growl at him.
 
A smirk crawls onto his lips and he grabs my wrist, probably thinking he can hurt me. Then again he probably can. “Stop! Please don't fight?” pleads Myde.
 
His plea rings in my ears, reminding me instantly of my very good musical friend. With a defeated sigh I put Riku down and turn to Myde. “You know you remind me of my friend Demyx.”
 
In response to my statement Ienzo turns to face me directly. “It's not uncommon. This is the Undead World; I'm not sure how but you have some how escaped the loop. There is only you, either alive or undead. You sure are special Alex.”
 
Riku groans immediately after the last hint of my new and improved name. “Oh come on Ienzo its stupid…lame sounding even. Let the guy keep his name, especially if he's going to be around me.”
 
“Well since there is no other…fine...Axel, just be careful. The Society is lurking for the `flame of life'”
 
A grin spreads across my face. “Don't worry, I'm always careful.”
 
For the tiniest fragment of a second the lunar haired male smiles up at me and I can't help but smile back. But as fast as it came it disappeared. Riku turns on his heel. “Come on Axel, you need to meet the other members of our group.” I shrug and follow my savior.
 
Even though his arrogant attitude drives me up the wall instantly, his aura is peaceful to me. I follow Riku down the stairs just in time to see two male forms enter through a side door to this old century Victorian styled house. Wish I could see where I'm at. With their hands intertwined they stare at me in unison. I don't understand why but the older man steps in front of the younger. The older male's ice blue eyes seem to glimpse into my soul while his blonde hair spikes upward, testing gravity. He wears black jeans and a navy blue t-shirt while the other wears black jeans and a white t-shirt. The younger probably around the age of 17 tugs at the most likely 23 year old companion's arm before gazing at him with stormy blue eyes. The blonde growls in response before breaking the eye contact and turning to Riku and I. “So Riku, this is your catch?”
 
“Yes he is. His name is Axel. Axel that's Cloud and the boy behind him is Squall. That's the last two members of our team, knew them well.” Riku says to me but refuses to look up and meet my eyes.
 
Squall nods his acknowledgement to me before beginning to pull Cloud up a different set of stairs. He addresses Riku and I. “There was a massive surge of power earlier when you came back wit him. Be cautious the Society must've felt it too.” and then the two of them leave.
 
Just as they disappear my stomach growls. My hand instinctively lands on my stomach. I look down just in time to see Riku roll his eyes. “Fine come on. Let's get you some new clothes and something to calm that hunger. Just try no to bite me okay?”
 
“Excuse me? I would never think of even toughing you. I have a reputation to think of.”
 
A chuckle escapes Riku's thin lips before he smiles wide at me, showing his all his pearl white teeth. “That's the funniest thing I've heard in centuries. We're all vampire here, even you stupid. That's why it's called the Undead World.” then he drags me into a room adjacent to where we stood.
 
I don't know why I was taken here. But I want to go back. I would rather deal with Xemnas's gang, Organization 13, then this world of vampires. Yet I know deep inside I'm drawn to this god-forsaken place. There's so much for me to learn…I just hope I have enough time to. I guess to get on Mr. Bad Boy's good side to get some answers…I want to go home.