Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Snow ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The world is split with humans on one side and vampires on the other. Zexion is the prince of the Vampire World about to take the thrown from his father Sephiroth. On an outing Zexion and his brother Riku are taken away from the city where a vampire hunter waits. The hunter almost kills Zexion and takes him to the human world to kill since he is being pursued, but Zexion gets away, barely alive (or undead). Now he's got to find a way back before his country collapses, find his brother, avoid the prying eyes of humans, and escape the hunter all together.

Chapter 1:

I'm thrown into the car door as the driver cuts around another corner. Glaring at the reckless man I turn to see my eighteen year old brother just as frightened. “What's going on?”

Disconnecting his mind from the world, he searches out for the presence, Riku's long silver hair shadows the angles in his face. Oceanic eyes look into my dark blues. “There's a hunter chasing us.” he snarls while showing his pearl white fangs.
Before I can snap at the limo driver, we spin out of control with tears squealing and skid into a deep ditch. Stifling a groan I follow Riku out into the darkening roadside. A small compact car pulls up and two cloaked figures jump out. Both have their hood up with a stake resting loosely in their hands. The shorter of the two darts forward, pinning Riku easily to the trunk of the battered vehicle. I focus my attention on the taller man's hand gripping and releasing the stake. Inhaling deep I slip to the side and shove the petite figure to the ground. “Go now!” comes the struggle of words from my mouth. As Riku begins his run to the nearest city, I let my concentration slip as well.

My small frame is flung down onto the pavement and the taller man sits on my stomach while curling one of his hands around my exposed neck. His other appendage hovers over my chest cavity with a silver tipped stake gleaming in the last scrap of sunlight.

I grab a hold of the wrist linking to the hand around my neck. Digging in my nails, the blood runs down his fingers. Wincing at my assault he slices through the air with the wood before I catch his arm in my own grip. Taking in a deep breath the hunter staggers to the side. Pulling myself to my feet I glance around for the smaller hunter who has vanished.

I pry the driver's door open only to see a dead vampire. Spinning back around I'm met by a black cloth clad chest. Water trickles down over my face and I can't help but laugh. “Stakes yes but holy water no. We aren't evil hunter, we're different.”

That's when the blunt end of the stake crashes into the side of my head. The world spins as I fall into the hunter's awaiting arms. Sirens echo around me from the approaching re-enforcement. The sounds suddenly cease as I pass out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Running a hand over my face I'm met by a midnight sky. The sticky wetness on my fingers smell like blood so I run the tip of my tongue over my index finger, “Great, he hit me so hard I'm bleeding.” I slowly prop myself up on my elbows and glance around. The hunter must have brought me here to finish me off. Riku obviously had gotten to other vampires otherwise the hunter wouldn't have run. I turn my attention to my wrists which are tightly bond by thick coils of rope.

Does he think that this will hold me?

Snapping the bindings I lean back against the chair I sit in. I gaze out the window to my side, weighing my options of staying or leaving, I'm only nineteen by human standards.

Pushing myself off the cushion I begin toward the exit. As I approach the door a sharp click comes before the knob begins to twist. I back up into the kitchen area and mold myself to the lip of the wall.

A hooded lanky frame strides through the small apartment and crosses over to where I had been seated previously. I destroy the distant between me and freedom and begin my attempt to unlock the bolts.

The final one slides noisily into its slot. It doesn't matter because I'm down a flight of stairs before the hunter can turn around. My head continues to pound ferociously as I take the steps two at a time. It's a good thing he was only on the third floor. As I leave the building I'm met by a harsh autumn wind. A small group of people pay me no mind as they enter the complex. Taking the hint of pounding boots, I start running down the sidewalk at a believable human speed.

Surely if anyone here found out who I am I would most likely be killed and never thought twice of. My coronation to become ruler of our Vampire Society is to be in two days, the seventh day of fall. Sephiroth, my father and current ruler, should be stepping down but with me missing he'll stay in power. He's been angrier ever since he discovered that our mother was actually human about ten years ago. Now he hates mortals, which includes me and my brother at the moment.

Getting caught up in my thoughts I hadn't seen the person until I collided with him. The man extends his hand to help me up. When I don't take his generosity he grabs my collar and yanks me to my feet. In response I pry his hand away. “What do you think you're doing?”

Crimson eyes glare down at me. The man's six foot something frame towers over me and he dresses in all black with a maroon trench coat. Long brown-black tresses falls slightly past his shoulders and is topped by a cloth, that is just as red as his coat, pulling some of it back out of his face. “Shut up and follow me. You have a hunter tracking you.” demands the silk voice.

“Who are you?”

“I'm a friend of your mother's friend.”

He begins leading me down various streets. By the third neighborhood my legs turn to jello. Before I can come close to hitting the ground, I'm swept up into his arms. He adverts his gaze from mine. “Sorry about that, I forgot you're part human.”

I stare quizzically at him, “Who are you?”

“I'll brief you when we get back to the house. I don't think he's following us anymore.” Leaning my head against his chest I concentrate on his rhythmic footsteps.

Not long passes before he stops at an opening door. Vibrant blue eyes and blonde spikes peek into my line of vision. “Vincent he's bleeding!”

“Calm down Cloud, it stopped about 15 minutes ago from my inspection.”

Cloud grunts as I'm turned over to him. He carries me into the back bedroom of a medium sized house. I'm laid down on black satin sheets before the light is flipped on. “It's been a long time Zexion.”

“I demand you tell me what's going on.”

Cloud merely chuckles before leaving the room. Groaning impatiently I let my eyes fall shut. The seconds tick by and when I'm about to dive into sleep I feel the pressure of a moist rag on the left side of my head. I'm forced to sit upright by a supporting hand on the small of my back. Cracking my eye lids back open I'm met by Cloud at my side and Vincent standing by the door frame. As Cloud dabs at the sore spot I let my anger get the better of me, something that happens on rare occasions.

Throwing my arm out I send Cloud to the floor and the compress onto my lap, “What the hell is going on?!”

Before I can blink, Vincent has me pinned against the mattress. “I don't give a shit if you’re the future ruler over vampires, you will watch it,” the man growls, allowing me to see the glistening fangs protruding from his gums.

The weight lifts off me as Vincent moves to gently help Cloud up. “Sorry,” is the only word that escapes my mouth as I realize the growing connection between them. Vampires and humans aren't meant to care for each other. Well at least I think Cloud is human I can't smell the difference. But that common sense doesn't apply to this pair, I think.

However, Cloud shrugs off the incident, “Doesn't matter I would have been mad too, I understand. You need to know what's going on.” Vincent helps Cloud to his feet and a small smile curves the corners of his lips, yet just as fast as it had appeared it disappeared. The blonde resumes his place beside me while Vincent takes a seat at the end of the bed. “Stay still.” Cloud commands gently before continuing to wipe the rest of the blood of. “There's a cut but it's not deep. You should be fine.” with that Cloud leaves the room as the door shuts soundlessly behind him.

The man at my feet sighs heavily, “I'm guessing that you understand that your father has become power hungry.” I nod and he continues on. “Sephiroth does not like the fact of humans and vampires being together. Your mother strengthened that hatred by having you and your brother. It was evident that her charade was doomed from the start. She was originally sent to kill him but indeed they grew on each other.”

He stops to allow the information to sink in and I'm most grateful. Mother had always been truthful to us. Her race was a secret that was shared between our group; Riku, Rufus, Reno, and me. It's sad to think about how abruptly or happy life shattered.

“Sephiroth refuses to let any half-vampire rule “his” country. That is the reason why he hired the top two hunters in this area. For they know everywhere you would go if by chance you escaped, which you did.”

“Do you know the profiles of said hunters?”

Vincent grimaces, “I guess I should've expected that question from you. Sadly we have nothing on them at the moment.”

“You say it as though you're working on it.”

“There's more than just one of each type of vampire here. I'm the only one you've met. Cloud is like you and I'm not. All he has to do is be given vampire blood or human blood and he'll be complete, just as you will.”

“What do we do next? I know for a fact that Riku doesn't want the throne.”

“We smuggle you back in as soon as we can. However, I don't think that Sephiroth will willingly give up.”

I quirk an eyebrow, “And how do you suppose that I beat him?”

Vincent's frown deepens at his own answer, “We get you a human that you can take blood from so that you're stronger.”