Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Dreams of the Soul ❯ Preparations ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16, Preparation
 
Mu sank back into his seat, out of breath, the darkness receded.. Riku went up to him. “you alright? That was downright scary.” The air hung heavy.
 
Sora spoke up. “So, the underdrome tournaments are going to be crazy. We need to prepare. DF, you can control heartless right?”
 
DF looked up, He had been talking quietly to Christina, now complete composed, and with a very resolute face on. “Yeah, but just the lesser ones.”
 
Xonic, Catching on, continued, “That's fine. You should have the easiest time then, so you'll be our ace in the hole.”
 
“you're in the fourth tournament. They should go in order of increasing difficulty, especially if hades himself is the last fight for the 5th one.” Sora said. “Xonic, take the first round.”
 
Riku spoke for himself. “I can handle whatever they throw in round two.”
 
Ray stepped forward. “So I'm stuck with round 3? I can dig, should be easy. Ok, now, Shouldn't be let Eagle and Corim know about this? I've got the comm.”
 
“Oh yeah, let's do that.”
 
Ray switched on the comm. “Hey, boss, you reading?”
 
Crackle “yes, what Ray? We just left, and you already need us?”
 
“Hades just paid us a personal call,” chimed in Musouka. “He's set up a whole system of stinking tournaments to try and make us take each other out of action just to get Crystal back. And there's a whole other set of five in the Underdrome for Mera. Hurry up, if you save them, then we can get out of the tournaments. He'll overwhelm us for sure.”
 
Crackle “I'm coming back. Don't argue. Corim will stay and look, meantime I'm going to dig up anything I can to help you lot with the Underdrome, and somebody has to watch Christina. Have Phil give you some training. All of you.”
 
 
With the exception of three people, everyone was lying on the ground or sitting in the stands, exhausted from daylong training, courtesy of Phil. The 3 left standing were Hayner, who was having trouble mastering a particular obstacle piece Sora magically still held the record on, Musouka, who was going through ALL the exercises again, and DF, Who was driven by some unseen force, although Riku had an inkling of what it was that drove him, to personally master and half destroy every one challenge and training regime Phil had come up with, without relying on any heartless.
 
“All three of you need to take a break. Working yourself to death like this isn't helping anyone.” Phil was trying to convince them.
 
“We aren't tired,” was the simultaneous reply.
 
“you say that, but you are. Take a break. Last time Herc worked himself like this, he was nearly killed by the Hydra.” Phil countered.
 
Musouka looked at the other two. “Take a break. Let's rest for five minutes, then attack this again, maybe we will do better.” The others, now that Musouka had suggested it, acquiesced, and all fell down where they were, exhausted.
 
“The way you three are working, Hades should be shaking in his boots right now,” Xonic commented.
 
“Yeah, I feel like after that, I could even beat herc.” Said Draco.
 
“Which you might need to do,” reminded Riku.
 
“heh, yeah.”
 
“Don't worry Draco, I can take Herc.” Sora grinned.
 
“Getting a little cocky there, aren't we Sora?”
 
“Hey, I am a Hero.”
 
Phil sighed.
 
“I'm just trying to relax phil. I know it won't be an easy fight, far from it. For any of us.” Sora told Phil, who relaxed himself, relieved these kids were taking this seriously, or at least more seriously than it seemed. He was most worried about Musouka. Mu had probably the least, or second least, experience out of anybody there, well, not counting Christina, but she wasn't competing. And Mu was the one facing Hades himself.
 
Eagle was for the moment, sitting and watching the others train. It amazed him how hard all of them had worked, and how hard some of them were still working. Especially the usually lazy DF. He'd outdone half of them fighting on his own skills alone. Augment those with heartless, and you had a deadly combination.
 
“Everyone, good work. Hit the showers, get some food, and get some rest. You've got tomorrow as well before Hades little tournaments, so you can get more training then. Phil, anything our resident expert Hero trainer can add?”
 
Phil shook his head. “I got nothing, these kids are fired and ready like few things I've ever seen.” Phil caught DF as he was heading out. “Kid, don't let that darkness take hold, or else it'll consume you.” He was talking about the dark fire of rage burning deep in DF's heart at what Hades had done.
 
DF looked down at Phil, nodded, and smiled. “I won't.”
 
Phil watched as all of them trooped off. “You'd better not, any of you. The rest is up to you, I just hope you are your hearts are up to the challenge. Hades is one evil piece of work…” Phil glanced to his side to see Musouka, staring up at the stars as they appeared. Phil was sure he'd heard every word.
 
“Don't let the darkness consume me, huh? That's not such a bad idea.” He smiled over at Phil, then followed the others.